Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (548925 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fobak203(m): 12:25pm On Jan 11, 2019
Thanks buddy, you have been more than helpful. I will verify about the extension thing. My situation is a tricky one I guess. Your comments are noted.
bligs:

Not aware of Visa extension cancellation, had couple of guys that did it last month. Never came across of someone in your situation with an existing Visa and want to apply for the same Visa again and regarding bringing your family, applying with them is the best thing. Since you are here, you don't have to use SA anymore.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fobak203(m): 12:45pm On Jan 11, 2019
I am the winner takes all kinda person. If I am to start the PR route, there is no going back. I think I am not ready yet. Let me explain more. I would be 32 this year which is maximum point for age. But when am done with my PhD, I would have lost five points from age but would have gained five points from higher education. But more importantly, I will just chill until I cmsort this student visa and subsequent entrant for my family so that I can put in � percent for the PR. I am looking at starting the process by April this year. Thanks for your concern guyz. Like I also mentioned to Alphadoor. I am closer to getting this 4 years student visa whose journey started sometime in April 2018. I cannot abandon that journey. Its a long way coming compared to starting a PR process now.

ogbevireo:

Like @Alphadoor noted, I am also wondering why you are not considering the Permanent Resident route.
or is there a clause in your scholarship negating that option?
or do you think you won't make enough points to get any of the PR visas?
if you can get a PR visa, I will say it is best.

until you state otherwise why, PR is the best option.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by chidike(m): 11:19am On Jan 13, 2019
fobak203:
Hi guys,

4. Where in Melbourne can I live in terms of proximity to african community, affordable, family friendly and peaceful (My wife is both a fashion designer, a teacher and a hair dresser), which is not too far away from Bundoora Campus (RMIT)

Please there is no trivial response, all comments are welcomed.

I will advise that you do not go to Sunshine or Footscray, those areas are not so good, Sunshine has a lot of gangs and gang related issues. Footscray isnt as bad though but look at areas in Bundoora first. Why are you looking for African community in a place where you have so many "oyibos" how will you get integrated? You can attend a Nigerian church and join the Nigerian groups but you dont have to live in an "African Community". Besides the community in Footscray are largely South Sudanese, and they dont have the best reputation here even though, I admit there is some bias there. I'll say focus on looking for a place close to your School, google the suburbs, lots of suburbs in Victoria have reviews, so you will get a feel of what it is like there.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fobak203(m): 3:48pm On Jan 13, 2019
Thanks for the heads up. I am very aware of the gang thing and have zero intention of staying there at least because of my kids. I must confess that I am evasive with my questions. I have a perfect idea of where I want to stay in Melbourne. That would be Mill Park. My question was just to see how far away this African communities are, because honestly, my wife would have to go there to advertise her craft and also get some continental food items. From this info from you and the previous person. I have gotten an Idea on what to do.
chidike:

I will advise that you do not go to Sunshine or Footscray, those areas are not so good, Sunshine has a lot of gangs and gang related issues. Footscray isnt as bad though but look at areas in Bundoora first. Why are you looking for African community in a place where you have so many "oyibos" how will you get integrated? You can attend a Nigerian church and join the Nigerian groups but you dont have to live in an "African Community". Besides the community in Footscray are largely South Sudanese, and they dont have the best reputation here even though, I admit there is some bias there. I'll say focus on looking for a place close to your School, google the suburbs, lots of suburbs in Victoria have reviews, so you will get a feel of what it is like there.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kcn101: 8:54am On Jan 14, 2019
hi guys anyone from Melbourne
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kessel: 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2019
It was 41degree earlier today
ejimjesus:
Please my brethren, those resident in Adelaide how far?
You people should please update us, some of us are coming over to Adelaide in no distant time as we are currently waiting for visa grant(489) .
Please we need motivation
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 15, 2019
kessel:
It was 41degree earlier today
F or C degrees?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 4:18pm On Jan 15, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

F or C degrees?

Celsius.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 15, 2019
bellong:

Celsius.
No difference with naija here. That's bloody hot mehn.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 4:36pm On Jan 15, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Mate, It is summer.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by sbjosco: 9:43pm On Jan 15, 2019
kcn101:
hi guys anyone from Melbourne
Hi
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kessel: 12:39am On Jan 16, 2019
Celsius
EMMAACHILE:

F or C degrees?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by iceberg54: 5:59am On Jan 16, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

My brother, there is difference o. This one pass naija heat. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:17am On Jan 16, 2019
iceberg54:

My brother, there is difference o. This one pass naija heat. cheesy cheesy
Hahaha. It's isn't called the sunniest Australian city for nothing. I think Perth or Adelaide holds that title.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by rowlandUgiangbe: 7:32am On Jan 16, 2019
Greetings to you all, please, can someone assist me with the process of relocating to Australia (rowlandugiangbe@gmail.com)
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 16, 2019
Follow this link and carefully study the guide and requirements. https://www.nairaland.com/3053069/general-guide-australian-permanent-resident
rowlandUgiangbe:
Greetings to you all, please, can someone assist me with the process of relocating to Australia (rowlandugiangbe@gmail.com)

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by debris: 3:10pm On Jan 16, 2019
bellong:

Mate, It is summer.

Bro help a sister embarassed embarassed

I have 3rd class in Pharmacology & therapeutics I intend applying for a tafe program in nursing diploma or Laboratory technology diploma or even any Graduate certificate course Atleast 2mils course per semester

please what are my chances of getting visa?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 10:08am On Jan 19, 2019
debris:

Bro help a sister embarassed embarassed

I have 3rd class in Pharmacology & therapeutics I intend applying for a tafe program in nursing diploma or Laboratory technology diploma or even any Graduate certificate course Atleast 2mils course per semester

please what are my chances of getting visa?

Your chance is dependent on so many factors which include but not limited to your ability to explain home ties, purpose for career change through solid statement of purpose.

I can't really tell you your chances as it lies in your hands and the CO.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by extraterestrial: 9:53pm On Jan 20, 2019
Hi Sydney residents, please who can refer me to an African shop around northmead/parammata area where I can get Nigerian food stuff and ingredients..I will be most grateful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by sleekyonyx(f): 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2019
extraterestrial:
Hi Sydney residents, please who can refer me to an African shop around northmead/parammata area where I can get Nigerian food stuff and ingredients..I will be most grateful
hi Pls I'll like to discuss something very important with u if u don't mind my email is sleekyonyx@gmail.com thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fobak203(m): 11:24am On Jan 21, 2019
Your best bet would be to go to Blacktown, not far away from the Blacktown Fruit Market and the Smith shop, which is about 20minss on train from Parramatta. It's a Beauty Salon that also have things like Garri, Semo, Poundo, Shaki, Pomo, Dried Fish, Egusi, and Assorted Meat generally, the unique Knorr cube, Beans to mention a few. I also bought peppered Plantain chips and Malt from there. I think she is Ghanaian, but shes got relatively cheap stuff. You would only find ready made African foods that are too exorbitant to afford arround Parramatta. If anyone knows anywhere in Parramatta. Please mention it. Easier for us to go there.
extraterestrial:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by extraterestrial: 9:13am On Jan 22, 2019
fobak203:
Your best bet would be to go to Blacktown, not far away from the Blacktown Fruit Market and the Smith shop, which is about 20minss on train from Parramatta. It's a Beauty Salon that also have things like Garri, Semo, Poundo, Shaki, Pomo, Dried Fish, Egusi, and Assorted Meat generally, the unique Knorr cube, Beans to mention a few. I also bought peppered Plantain chips and Malt from there. I think she is Ghanaian, but shes got relatively cheap stuff. You would only find ready made African foods that are too exorbitant to afford arround Parramatta. If anyone knows anywhere in Parramatta. Please mention it. Easier for us to go there.
Thanks a lot!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Rupect: 5:01pm On Jan 22, 2019
Good illustrations. Thanks for this information.

tyosho:
It will be nice if this thread is restricted to info about life in australia.Not questions on how to secure visa or gain admission.

My family and I made use of IOM to secure our travel tickets.We went with emirates and had a stopover in Dubai.Nothing special about the travel experience.We were entitled to 40kg per adult,40kg for a child and 23kg for infant.We also paid for 2 extra bags of 32kg each but i hear prices have gone up so cargoing is cheaper.You can cargo through certain airlines like saa,emirates and etihad.
All in all we had like 12 luggages.
I went with ALL kinds of food stuffs except beans(becos of weavils).With my food items,i put them individually in transparent bags and labelled them.Fish,egusi,dry pepper,garri,amala etc.
Got to melbourne,declared i had food items but was not searched and was allowed to go through.

We opened accts with NAB and commonwealth bank but didnt transfer any money from nigera.We went with some cash and left the remaining in a GT dom acct and transferred from there to our OZzy acct when we arrived.We also opened a dom acct in OZ(commonwealth bank was seamless) for ease of transfer.There might be a cheaper way to transfer funds but this is what we did.

We stayed with family in Northern suburbs initially but got our own place in the Eastern suburbs,somewhere not far from Dandenong.We settled for the East because its quite busy,more factories and industries in these areas.If i dont live in the East,I will go for the North and West in that order.West is cheapest but people say it has a history of crime.I however have friends who have lived in the West over 10years and have never had any incidents.Anyhow,wherever you decide to stay is fine.Just get somewhere close to the train station and mall.

In melbourne,you can use your naija license for 6months.My husband passed his victoria drivers test on first attempt,i havnt tried yet for my drivers license.People say though that it can be quite tough cos i know someone who failed 5times!I was able to start driving within 2months of getting here.Just remember,you drive on the left always.

No ideas on how mortgages work but when choosing a neighborhood,also consider ones with good schools if you have kids.If your kids are still of daycare age(below 5),use careforkids.com.au to compare prices,reviews etc.

Settling in was not bad for me cos i had friends and family here already.My kids settled fine as well.

Upon arrival;
Get a mobile sim(i use lebara)
Apply for TFN(tax file no)
Open a bank account or go and activate the one you opened from Nigeria
Go to centerlink and medicare for registration
Get a travel card(MYki card if in melbourne).

Update your linkedin profile and make it very appealing to recruiters.You can also search for recruiters on Linkedin.

With regards to work,there is always something to do.It might not be want you want initially but there is work.Some people start off working at factories,aged care homes,disability and support centres etc until they eventually get what they want.Some people also end up going into nursing,community welfare,policing etc.But like i said,if you dont mind chopping humble pie to start somewhere earning money with these blue collar jobs,you will be okay.I know people who have houses with money earned from these blue collar professions.
There is dignity of labour here so people dont care what job you do to earn money.

For transportation,if you can afford it,pls plan to buy a car asap(carsales.com.au,gumtreee.com.au).please buy cars with roadworthiness and valid registration(at least 6months).If no car,you can use the metro system until you can afford to get a car here.

For housing,a friend referred us to her agent who leased us an apartment even though we didnt have jobs at the time.She accepted our bank statements as proof of income.We pay just a little below 2k monthly as rent.

Then i also just found out about NRAS housing scheme from a colleague days back.Its for families who fall within a certain income threshold.IF your rent was like 350,you would pay like 260 and the govt will pay the balance.I dont have much info as i dont qualify anymore since hubby and I both work now.But im certain most freshbies would qualify.

With furnishing the house,we went across gumtree.com(for people who were selling their furniture due relocation or other reasons),kmart stores( for kitchen items),bestbuy.com(this is a company that sells new electronics at reduced prices because they have scratches or marks on them;there are plenty stores like that but this is the one i patronised) and ikea stores(for kitchen and beddings)

For people that dont mind as well,in order to save costs,you can patronise Salvos stores(its a charity shop that all kinds of household items in great condition).

To get the best energy providers,internet providers,insurance etc,you can make use of iselect.com.au

During cold weather,you wear jacket and use heater(we paid almost 200 a month for heating during this past winter)

I do most of my shopping at Dandenong Market as food stuffs there is cheaper than everyother place I know.There is also Marmara market at Dandenong(all kinds of food items including shaki,cowleg,cow tongue etc) and an African store not far from the market(cant rememeber the name).At noble park is SUR african shop where i get dry fish,palm oil,egusi and stuff like that.

With departmental stores,woolworths is most expensive and aldi is cheapest.Coles is in between.
I know of only one nigerian restaurant that recently opened in the city and i have never been there before.
There is also another popular naija shop in the West called Fatimoh"s shop

With centerlink link claims,we were paid family tax benefit part A and B,family rebate and child care assistance.This all sumed up to $621 forthnightly for the first 4months,it came down to 550 and then now sits at $89 fortnightly.It reduces with every income increase.
Childcare rates was $113 for two kids initially (5days a week) and now is $370 a week.

We also got a concession card which has now been cancelled since we both have jobs.With the concession card,we paid discounted electricity and waterbills,half price for transportation,free ambulance cover,susbsizied fees if we had done any studies at the time and my first kid who is in kinder got 15hours free of daycare weekly .

With jobs,for me,it was just God.I got a job in the Tier 1 team of an IT company with no technical knowledge whatsover.It was my 3rd video interview and i got the job two months after arrival.I commute 54mins by train to the CBD which is quite a distance by OZ standard.But i dont mind really.I got the job through indeed.com which i prefer to seek.com
There a couple of recruitment agencies i know and i will list as i remember.

Strategy one(blue collar)
Adecco
Hoban
Ozstaff(blue collar)
Randstad
Sharp &carter
Hays
Smaart

cc Bellong,vinsmuft,funkjo,oknee,hordunayo,incemay,abeg you guys should come and add o

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by yomisley: 2:45pm On Jan 24, 2019
Mehn what a lovely thread to be on... I hope I will travel to Australia �� one day either by relocating or for a visit. Looking at all these lovely pictures, this made rain course on our leader who choose to Ruin our so called country Nigeria ��. God will help us. I so much love this country Australia ��. The pictures alone gave me hope I will be in this country one day.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Alphadoor: 6:19am On Jan 26, 2019
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

10 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by sollej: 1:00pm On Jan 26, 2019
Good afternoon to everyone making this thread educative. I am coming on a student visa to University of Newcastle. Please what is the cheapest means of transferring money to Aussie from Naija? Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mefia91: 12:52am On Jan 27, 2019
sollej:
Good afternoon to everyone making this thread educative. I am coming on a student visa to University of Newcastle. Please what is the cheapest means of transferring money to Aussie from Naija? Thanks
Google Austransaction and thank me later...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Solitin40: 2:15am On Jan 27, 2019
sollej:
When are you coming?

Open a NAB account from Nigeria https://www.nab.com.au/personal/banking/migrant-banking and contact Austransaction

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Luyi2015: 11:21am On Jan 28, 2019
Pls i need a favour. How can i get the cheapest flight to aussie...my IED is April..family of 3.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Lhimeet(m): 11:40pm On Jan 28, 2019
No pictures here to spice up the thread sad cry`

10 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by vikmeek: 11:43am On Jan 30, 2019
Luyi2015:
Pls i need a favour. How can i get the cheapest flight to aussie...my IED is April..family of 3.

Pls I need this info..moving to Sydney on the 12th of Feb.

Is Egyptair good enough?

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

Viewing this topic: Cest2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.