Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (549112 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2018
sbjosco:

What passport do you hold? A Nigerian passport?

No a Cyprus passport

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Law9(m): 1:22am On Jan 01, 2019
HAPPY NEW YEAR.

WELCOME TO 2019.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by francoteeboy2626: 7:10pm On Jan 02, 2019
please house,I plays talking drum and other instruments, if I can get a Nigerian church that can stand for me that there is no citizens that can play the talking drum for them,hence the need for me,can I get a work permit that way

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 12:47am On Jan 03, 2019
francoteeboy2626:
please house,I plays talking drum and other instruments, if I can get a Nigerian church that can stand for me that there is no citizens that can play the talking drum for them,hence the need for me,can I get a work permit that way

How will you expect a church to lie for you for the purpose of bringing you over?

What kind of church will do something like that?

18 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 6:28am On Jan 03, 2019
@Bellong:

I don't believe OP is asking outright for a church to lie on his/her behalf. I see it more as an inquiry, and it can be likened to a job position as well.

Considering the uniqueness of OP's skills in the Australian society, I think it will be rare to find many who can play the talking drum; and if that were to be an advertised position, then OP may stand a chance of being genuinely sponsored.

So, I think the OP's question is if a church can sponsor him to come to Australia and play such instrument should they be unable to find someone in Oz.

bellong:

How will you expect a church to lie for you for the purpose of bringing you over?

What kind of church will do something like that?

12 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Alphadoor: 10:47am On Jan 03, 2019
Happy New Year Folks

May this year bring us great tidings

Sydney New Year's eve fireworks show available for your viewing pleasure

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143644955@N02/

6 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 2:21pm On Jan 03, 2019
Alphadoor:
Happy New Year Folks

May this year bring us great tidings

Sydney New Year's eve fireworks show available for your viewing pleasure

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143644955@N02/

Happy new year mate!

Thanks for the pics.

Zany.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by topekole(f): 10:14pm On Jan 03, 2019
[quote author=fhranciz post=74305898]

No a Cyprus passport[/quojte]

HOW do you get Cyprus passport?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ozonechrome: 5:24am On Jan 04, 2019
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by francoteeboy2626: 8:26am On Jan 04, 2019
catchdwind4rmkd:
@Bellong:

I don't believe OP is asking outright for a church to lie on his/her behalf. I see it more as an inquiry, and it can be likened to a job position as well.

Considering the uniqueness of OP's skills in the Australian society, I think it will be rare to find many who can the talking drum; and if that were to be an advertised position, then OP may stand a chance of being genuinely sponsored.

So, I think the OP's question is if a church can sponsor him to come to Australia and play such instrument should they be unable to find someone in Oz.

God bless u for me

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Papitosa: 10:28pm On Jan 04, 2019
Hello guys, I am new here. My 2019 resolution has led me up to migrating to Australia, can I get a family visa but go alone to put proper arrangements on ground before my family join me?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ejimjesus: 7:31pm On Jan 05, 2019
@Nosula
Don't restrict yourself to IOM. You might just find other options to be cheaper.
In my case, IOM quoted about N1,300,000 for the four of us.(Johannesburg to Melbourne via Dubai). We however got a ticket with emirates through an online agent for about N750,000 same route with a better baggage allowance of 46kg+7kg hand luggage each as against 40kg+7kg hand luggage offered by IOM.

Please may I have contact of that online agent that booked your tickets with Emirates

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ejimjesus: 10:45pm On Jan 05, 2019
Please my brethren, those resident in Adelaide how far?
You people should please update us, some of us are coming over to Adelaide in no distant time as we are currently waiting for visa grant(489) .
Please we need motivation

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by noskcid(m): 1:39am On Jan 06, 2019
tyosho:
It will be nice if this thread is restricted to info about life in australia.Not questions on how to secure visa or gain admission.

My family and I made use of IOM to secure our travel tickets.We went with emirates and had a stopover in Dubai.Nothing special about the travel experience.We were entitled to 40kg per adult,40kg for a child and 23kg for infant.We also paid for 2 extra bags of 32kg each but i hear prices have gone up so cargoing is cheaper.You can cargo through certain airlines like saa,emirates and etihad.
All in all we had like 12 luggages.
I went with ALL kinds of food stuffs except beans(becos of weavils).With my food items,i put them individually in transparent bags and labelled them.Fish,egusi,dry pepper,garri,amala etc.
Got to melbourne,declared i had food items but was not searched and was allowed to go through.

We opened accts with NAB and commonwealth bank but didnt transfer any money from nigera.We went with some cash and left the remaining in a GT dom acct and transferred from there to our OZzy acct when we arrived.We also opened a dom acct in OZ(commonwealth bank was seamless) for ease of transfer.There might be a cheaper way to transfer funds but this is what we did.

We stayed with family in Northern suburbs initially but got our own place in the Eastern suburbs,somewhere not far from Dandenong.We settled for the East because its quite busy,more factories and industries in these areas.If i dont live in the East,I will go for the North and West in that order.West is cheapest but people say it has a history of crime.I however have friends who have lived in the West over 10years and have never had any incidents.Anyhow,wherever you decide to stay is fine.Just get somewhere close to the train station and mall.

In melbourne,you can use your naija license for 6months.My husband passed his victoria drivers test on first attempt,i havnt tried yet for my drivers license.People say though that it can be quite tough cos i know someone who failed 5times!I was able to start driving within 2months of getting here.Just remember,you drive on the left always.

No ideas on how mortgages work but when choosing a neighborhood,also consider ones with good schools if you have kids.If your kids are still of daycare age(below 5),use careforkids.com.au to compare prices,reviews etc.

Settling in was not bad for me cos i had friends and family here already.My kids settled fine as well.

Upon arrival;
Get a mobile sim(i use lebara)
Apply for TFN(tax file no)
Open a bank account or go and activate the one you opened from Nigeria
Go to centerlink and medicare for registration
Get a travel card(MYki card if in melbourne).

Update your linkedin profile and make it very appealing to recruiters.You can also search for recruiters on Linkedin.

With regards to work,there is always something to do.It might not be want you want initially but there is work.Some people start off working at factories,aged care homes,disability and support centres etc until they eventually get what they want.Some people also end up going into nursing,community welfare,policing etc.But like i said,if you dont mind chopping humble pie to start somewhere earning money with these blue collar jobs,you will be okay.I know people who have houses with money earned from these blue collar professions.
There is dignity of labour here so people dont care what job you do to earn money.

For transportation,if you can afford it,pls plan to buy a car asap(carsales.com.au,gumtreee.com.au).please buy cars with roadworthiness and valid registration(at least 6months).If no car,you can use the metro system until you can afford to get a car here.

For housing,a friend referred us to her agent who leased us an apartment even though we didnt have jobs at the time.She accepted our bank statements as proof of income.We pay just a little below 2k monthly as rent.

Then i also just found out about NRAS housing scheme from a colleague days back.Its for families who fall within a certain income threshold.IF your rent was like 350,you would pay like 260 and the govt will pay the balance.I dont have much info as i dont qualify anymore since hubby and I both work now.But im certain most freshbies would qualify.

With furnishing the house,we went across gumtree.com(for people who were selling their furniture due relocation or other reasons),kmart stores( for kitchen items),bestbuy.com(this is a company that sells new electronics at reduced prices because they have scratches or marks on them;there are plenty stores like that but this is the one i patronised) and ikea stores(for kitchen and beddings)

For people that dont mind as well,in order to save costs,you can patronise Salvos stores(its a charity shop that all kinds of household items in great condition).

To get the best energy providers,internet providers,insurance etc,you can make use of iselect.com.au

During cold weather,you wear jacket and use heater(we paid almost 200 a month for heating during this past winter)

I do most of my shopping at Dandenong Market as food stuffs there is cheaper than everyother place I know.There is also Marmara market at Dandenong(all kinds of food items including shaki,cowleg,cow tongue etc) and an African store not far from the market(cant rememeber the name).At noble park is SUR african shop where i get dry fish,palm oil,egusi and stuff like that.

With departmental stores,woolworths is most expensive and aldi is cheapest.Coles is in between.
I know of only one nigerian restaurant that recently opened in the city and i have never been there before.
There is also another popular naija shop in the West called Fatimoh"s shop

With centerlink link claims,we were paid family tax benefit part A and B,family rebate and child care assistance.This all sumed up to $621 forthnightly for the first 4months,it came down to 550 and then now sits at $89 fortnightly.It reduces with every income increase.
Childcare rates was $113 for two kids initially (5days a week) and now is $370 a week.

We also got a concession card which has now been cancelled since we both have jobs.With the concession card,we paid discounted electricity and waterbills,half price for transportation,free ambulance cover,susbsizied fees if we had done any studies at the time and my first kid who is in kinder got 15hours free of daycare weekly .

With jobs,for me,it was just God.I got a job in the Tier 1 team of an IT company with no technical knowledge whatsover.It was my 3rd video interview and i got the job two months after arrival.I commute 54mins by train to the CBD which is quite a distance by OZ standard.But i dont mind really.I got the job through indeed.com which i prefer to seek.com
There a couple of recruitment agencies i know and i will list as i remember.

Strategy one(blue collar)
Adecco
Hoban
Ozstaff(blue collar)
Randstad
Sharp &carter
Hays
Smaart

cc Bellong,vinsmuft,funkjo,oknee,hordunayo,incemay,abeg you guys should come and add o

I really love your write up and I wanna appreciate the time you took out to give out this information.
Please ma'am, how much will it cost me to travel to Australia from Nigeria. From start to finish.
Am trying to figure out the best between London and Australia.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omoefe1994: 2:24am On Jan 06, 2019
Hello Ejimjesus,

I'm currently also waiting for 489 grant for South Australia so I guess we are in the same boat.

ejimjesus:
Please my brethren, those resident in Adelaide how far?
You people should please update us, some of us are coming over to Adelaide in no distant time as we are currently waiting for visa grant(489) .
Please we need motivation
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 2:36am On Jan 06, 2019
Papitosa:
Hello guys, I am new here. My 2019 resolution has led me up to migrating to Australia, can I get a family visa but go alone to put proper arrangements on ground before my family join me?

Yes.
You can leave first and they will join you later.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 2:39am On Jan 06, 2019
noskcid:

I really love your write up and I wanna appreciate the time you took out to give out this information.
Please ma'am, how much will it cost me to travel to Australia from Nigeria. From start to finish.
Am trying to figure out the best between London and Australia.

Definitely Australia.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by noskcid(m): 9:56am On Jan 06, 2019
ogbevireo:

Definitely Australia.

Please madam how much will it cost me to travel there?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by noskcid(m): 1:29pm On Jan 06, 2019
ogbevireo:

Definitely Australia.

Alright thanks
How much will it cost me to travel there from start to finish? I have a passport but I don't have anybody there.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jeff321: 6:17pm On Jan 06, 2019
Hello guys, I'm new Here and I love this platform, please can anyone tell me the possibility of staying back in Australia with a 3months tourist visa...thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Glasses1: 8:32pm On Jan 06, 2019
Hello house...I know this place is for people already in Australia, definately the best place to get the kinna advice I need.

Please I need your expertise advice on this... I got a visa refusal last week Friday and the reason given was that my case officer was not satisfied with the financials available, she said the amount in my statement is enough for 12 months but she is not convinced I will have funds for the subsequent period...The total in all the accounts submitted was about 16million naira.... Now I want to re-apply asap..but I need to ask from people who have gone through the process of re-applying before.

1. Will I have to do the Biometrics and Medicals all over again?
2. Can my Uncle (same surname) come in for me as a Co-sponsor with my parent this time around?
3. What reasons do you think makes sense to put in my GTE letter as to why I did not include my Uncle before (tho I want my Uncle to say he heard about the refusal and has decided to step in to support) but other suggestions are welcome.

My school resumes 18th of March, do you think there is still enough time to apply and get a feedback? as my last application took about 3 months before they denied me.... there was also no correspondence from when I applied to when they sent the refusal...
PLEASE HELP!!!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 10:03pm On Jan 06, 2019
noskcid:

Alright thanks
How much will it cost me to travel there from start to finish? I have a passport but I don't have anybody there.

Kindly go through the thread with link below and it's precursor. You are sure to figure it out before you read to the end.

Cheers!

https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Goodnessebuka(m): 11:42pm On Jan 06, 2019
Good day ,am new to this platform and i appreciate every info iv received here so far.I have 3 questions
1.Can one get a genuine Australian visa without going for medicals and Biomerics?
2.someone in abuja gave my frirnd a fake australian visa and the man collected a huge amount of money from her...How can she pursue the case as the man is proving he doesnt have the money again to pay bk..which law enforcement agency should she deploy and how should she go about it?
3.were can i get a reliable agent in Anambra state dat will help process New zealand tourist visa for my Brother
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by khendytoyn: 1:57pm On Jan 07, 2019
Jeff321:
Hello guys, I'm new Here and I love this platform, please can anyone tell me the possibility of staying back in Australia with a 3months tourist visa...thanks

Please gurus in the house should answer this..
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 10:27pm On Jan 09, 2019
@ zanyzara and other bosses here

Maybe we should do up a general answer for those who would come asking for tourists or visitor visas and the possibility of staying back and applying for PR. The general answer can then be edited into the initial post.

It would be easier to refer them to page 1. It's becoming difficult to sort through these posts to find the experiences of people living in Australia. The repeated enquiries may also discourage people from posting pictures or talking about their experiences.

As regards tourist or visitor visa, this is my opinion. You need strong home ties and considerable travel experience where you have complied with your visa conditions to get Australian tourist visa. There are guys from the student visa thread who got visitor visas to attend business conferences but they had to show proof they had attended similar conferences in other Countries and complied with the conditions.

So for example, if you are below 40, you don't have a good job in Nigeria, solid bank statement, landed properties, and previous travel history, your chances are extremely low. Having a wife and kids is not strong enough home ties. Correct me if I am wrong.

However, if you get a tourist visa, you would most likely have a no further stay condition imposed on it. That means you can't apply for any other normal visa while you are in Australia.

Chances of finding someone to get married to in 3 months is also low. If you manage to find someone, you would still need to go back to your Country to apply for a partner visa.

What else?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fobak203(m): 7:05am On Jan 10, 2019
Hi guys,

This is my brief story..

I got a MRes scholarship in Macquarie University, been here in Sydney since May 2018. I was supposed to bring my family over (wife and two kids) in the time but they were refused visa in December 2018. I had gone ahead to get another PhD scholarship in RMIT and Deakin, Let us say I pick RMIT. Some of the reasons for denial are... Why am I doing a third masters, Wife's lack of home ties in terms of employment and landed property. I have bought a land in her name and my PhD offer would have taken care of more than half the reason why she was denied. Now my set of questions

1. Is it advisable to apply for a new visa for myself because I would need it to re-apply for them. Although my previous visa for my MRes expires in Feb. 2020.
2. Is it advisable to apply with them as a unit or should I do mine first and then do theirs afterwards.
3. What other suggestions do you have to make sure they do not get refused again.
4. Where in Melbourne can I live in terms of proximity to african community, affordable, family friendly and peaceful (My wife is both a fashion designer, a teacher and a hair dresser), which is not too far away from Bundoora Campus (RMIT)

Please there is no trivial response, all comments are welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Alphadoor: 2:47am On Jan 11, 2019
fobak203:
Hi guys,

This is my brief story..

I got a MRes scholarship in Macquarie University, been here in Sydney since May 2018. I was supposed to bring my family over (wife and two kids) in the time but they were refused visa in December 2018. I had gone ahead to get another PhD scholarship in RMIT and Deakin, Let us say I pick RMIT. Some of the reasons for denial are... Why am I doing a third masters, Wife's lack of home ties in terms of employment and landed property. I have bought a land in her name and my PhD offer would have taken care of more than half the reason why she was denied. Now my set of questions

1. Is it advisable to apply for a new visa for myself because I would need it to re-apply for them. Although my previous visa for my MRes expires in Feb. 2020.
2. Is it advisable to apply with them as a unit or should I do mine first and then do theirs afterwards.
3. What other suggestions do you have to make sure they do not get refused again.
4. Where in Melbourne can I live in terms of proximity to african community, affordable, family friendly and peaceful (My wife is both a fashion designer, a teacher and a hair dresser), which is not too far away from Bundoora Campus (RMIT)

Kindly shed more light?
Correct me pls on below

You came in on Visa 500 in and you filed for your family under Visa 600.
And now you want them to apply for same Visa 600?

Also have you tried exploring PR Visa route ?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 8:22am On Jan 11, 2019
fobak203:
Hi guys,

This is my brief story..

You don't have to reapply for a new Visa but you will surely have to extend because your present Visa duration won't cover your PhD period. Enroll in your PhD program and use the confirmation of enrollment to reapply for your family and back it up with reasons like psychological issues such as you can't have maximum concentration on your research program without your family beside you and some other reasons, another option is to seek the advice of a registered MARA agent.
On the average, accommodation in western surburbs are cheaper compare to northern and eastern surburbs and Bundora happens to be in the north, I doubt if you can see a couple apartment of less than $1000 monthly in the north. Footscray/Sunshine in the west and Dandenong in the east have the highest concentration of African communities.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 10:21am On Jan 11, 2019
fobak203:
Hi guys,

This is my brief story..

Like @Alphadoor noted, I am also wondering why you are not considering the Permanent Resident route.
or is there a clause in your scholarship negating that option?
or do you think you won't make enough points to get any of the PR visas?
if you can get a PR visa, I will say it is best.

until you state otherwise why, PR is the best option.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fobak203(m): 10:37am On Jan 11, 2019
Thanks for your reponse. I came in on 500, filed in for Subsequent entrant 500, and still want to file in for another Sub 500. I am closer to obtaining a 4years Student visa than starting a PR process. So Yeah, once I can sort this phase of obtaining my Student visa and that of my family. Then I can concentrate fully on PR.

Alphadoor:

Kindly shed more light?
Correct me pls on below

You came in on Visa 500 in and you filed for your family under Visa 600.
And now you want them to apply for same Visa 600?

Also have you tried exploring PR Visa route ?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fobak203(m): 10:42am On Jan 11, 2019
Thanks so much for this answers. They are incisive and well articulated. God bless. On the extension thing, I head rumours you must file in a new application, there is no more room for extension. Also, I should rephrase my question. I wanted my family to come in as soon s possible. I would want to know which is the fastest and feasible route. Applying for mine in conjunction with theirs. Or doing them separately. Someone also mentioned that since I am here in Oz, I should just file in from here and not that bad belle SA. Please anyone that had recent update should help out on this two new developments and the authenticity. The matter tire me I swear.

bligs:

You don't have to reapply for a new Visa but you will surely have to extend because your present Visa duration won't cover your PhD period. Enroll in your PhD program and use the confirmation of enrollment to reapply for your family and back it up with reasons like psychological issues such as you can't have maximum concentration on your research program without your family beside you and some other reasons, another option is to seek the advice of a registered MARA agent.
On the average, accommodation in western surburbs are cheaper compare to northern and eastern surburbs and Bundora happens to be in the north, I doubt if you can see a couple apartment of less than $1000 monthly in the north. Footscray/Sunshine in the west and Dandenong in the east have the highest concentration of African communities.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 11:30am On Jan 11, 2019
fobak203:
Thanks so much for this answers. They are incisive and well articulated. God bless. On the extension thing, I head rumours you must file in a new application, there is no more room for extension. Also, I should rephrase my question. I wanted my family to come in as soon s possible. I would want to know which is the fastest and feasible route. Applying for mine in conjunction with theirs. Or doing them separately. Someone also mentioned that since I am here in Oz, I should just file in from here and not that bad belle SA. Please anyone that had recent update should help out on this two new developments and the authenticity. The matter tire me I swear.

Not aware of Visa extension cancellation, had couple of guys that did it last month. Never came across of someone in your situation with an existing Visa and want to apply for the same Visa again and regarding bringing your family, applying with them is the best thing. Since you are here, you don't have to use SA anymore.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.