Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? (34430 Views)

Why Can't CBN Let Us Receive And Send Money Using Paypal? / Why Can't CBN Print Enough Money And Dash Everyone 30 Billion Naira? / Why Can't CBN Print More Naira Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by seunmsg(m): 9:30am On Oct 11, 2017
Truckpusher:
Print the goddamn thing and before the West will wake up and suspect anything you've already used it in buying shares, gold, companies from their economy while bringing in policies that will lure their investors down here with the promise of cheap labor and wait till everywhere is calm.

Haven't you heard about currency manipulation by China that America keeps crying about while they are the chief currency manipulators. grin

Where will you get the money to print such a huge sum of money?
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by thunderbabs: 9:33am On Oct 11, 2017
We cant print it ourselves bcoz the tree needed as raw material to print the money has been possessed by a demonic being shocked
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by DavidEsq(m): 9:34am On Oct 11, 2017
Eberex:
Now you see why you should have paid more attention during Economic Lesson when you were in secondary school
He was busy jumping fences wen his mates wr taking Eco classes

1 Like

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by exlinklodge: 9:35am On Oct 11, 2017
abescom:
Yet people like you call Buhari dullard. Shameful. Do your investigation when America is crying wolf for China it is because China devalued their currency which is very smart.

The western world won't appreciate an export based economy like China to devalue their currency but will want countries like ours to devalue ours because then they get our stuffs for cheap while China's will be expensive to purchase for them.

It is common logic the west use against third world countries to systematically steal from them. Ever seen any import based economy that takes IMF's advise to devalue their currency recover? It is rare even if such exists.

Am interested in your explanation about China devaluation of their currency and IMF wanting third world countries like our to devalue ours.

I know if Nigeria devalues it will be a gain to the advanced world since we are import based country, so they buy our goods cheaper while we buy theirs higher. But I don't understand how China gains more by devaluing their currency since they are export based country.

Could you shade more light on that?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Omoluabi16(m): 9:35am On Oct 11, 2017
lol. This was what I thought back then. CBN should just print money, give every Nigerian so we all be rich.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Saintinoo(m): 9:35am On Oct 11, 2017
Op nice question, here are some answers though.

No we can't just print currency just like that becaause it will rise inflation and thing is that we must have equal gold reserve to the paper note we are to print, so a country can only print notes if it has much gold reserve which is the real money.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by abescom: 9:35am On Oct 11, 2017
dataking:

It is you that is a dullard. America prints dollars when ever its needed and dumps it on the world. They are the worst currency manipulators in the world but no other nation is allowed to try such cause its an American world we live in. Read more about it.
How does Nigeria and America compare economically? Nigeria is basically an import based economy unlike America.

Just take a good look at Zimbabwe.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Kashif(m): 9:36am On Oct 11, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:
Why can't we print the $5.5bn ourselves instead of borrowing since we can print money ourselves?

I believe if we print the money ourselves, we can use it for whatever we want and we won't need to pay back money to anybody.

Nairalanders pls! I need explanation.

You must be kidding. But if you are not, I don't even know where to start explaining. Your question is too elementary for this forum imo.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by hadura29(m): 9:36am On Oct 11, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:
Why can't we print the $5.5bn ourselves instead of borrowing since we can print money ourselves?

I believe if we print the money ourselves, we can use it for whatever we want and we won't need to pay back money to anybody.

Our productivity is low, hence it will lead to inflation.. my opinion though.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by ttmacoy: 9:36am On Oct 11, 2017
Hey this forum also provides some good insight which can help you understand better.

https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-a-poor-country-print-more-money-for-itself

Ebookmathswaec:

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Gepheral: 9:36am On Oct 11, 2017
The billion coin comes to mind...
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by omoadeleye(m): 9:37am On Oct 11, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

No. I mean Naira equivalent.

Money, go spoil, everything go dabaru, imagine buying a pencil for the cost of 600,000 naira?
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Topmaike007(m): 9:37am On Oct 11, 2017
to read economics sweet oo.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by victorazyvictor(m): 9:38am On Oct 11, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

How we used to think when we are toddlers grin
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Truckpusher(m): 9:38am On Oct 11, 2017
linearity:

Stop comparing China or American with Nigeria.

Those countries have the needed GDP to back their currency manipulation...Every country manipulates their currencies including Nigeria e.g. CBN pumping Forex into the market to stabilize Naira is currency manipulation, anything done to boost a country's currency outside market forces is currency manipulation.

There is not wrong in currency manipulation, the only downside is, if you don't have the GDP to back it, it will lead to hyper inflation and even Nigerians will stop selling goods and services in exchange for the Naira note as its value would have been worthless.

Yes, Nigeria can print any amount of Naira they want, but the country will be in the toilet and your previous otherwise lucrative salary of e.g. N500k/month may now have a buying power of a mere N500.
Who's printing naira and who's inserting the printed money into the economy immediately? grin
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Truckpusher(m): 9:40am On Oct 11, 2017
victorazyvictor:

How we used to think when we are toddlers grin
Hope you are aware that all the big economies actually do these things you think they are childish ideologies with respect to the guy you just quoted.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by victorazyvictor(m): 9:41am On Oct 11, 2017
Kashif:

You must be kidding. But if you are not, I don't even know where to start explaining. Your question is too elementary for this forum imo.

grin you even givam promotion, the question is cretchary.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by thesicilian: 9:42am On Oct 11, 2017
lovingyouhun:

Which sense? You don chop so? You'd rubbish our currency if that is done. If it can be done then there'd be no reason to work, we just print, make exchanges, purchase what soever we want, come back to the country and relax. Is that even possible? Think!!!

JuanDeDios:

It doesn't.

Cloud007:
how shocked shocked shocked kuku kill us

abescom:
Makes no economic sense. It will lead to massive inflation and worsen the economy.
Hahaha. I know it is not a good idea share, considering the economic implications, but sometimes I just like thinking outside the box, as in, "what if...?"

Inflation only occurs if the public knows what you have done. After all, no one will ask you where you got your money from when you go to buy a car in the market. Just like its not possible to recognize a black chicken in the stew...
Not feasible share, but still fun to think about.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by EHIRIMCHA(m): 9:42am On Oct 11, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

u want naira to get devalued like Zimbabwe currency where u will buying a pen for 10,000 naira.u don't know it will have huge implication in d forex market
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by linearity: 9:42am On Oct 11, 2017
johndwayy:

But bros.. I don't think the op is talking about printing the money and sharing it to everyone's account. I think what he's saying is, why not print the money and use it for industrialization and infrastructural development that will in turn boost the economy.?

It's the same thing, the government will not be able to spend that money with the pre-printing buying power.

All infrastructure developments in Nigeria are done in dollars, the exchange rate will increase to compensate for the new circulating currencies...even Nigerians will gradually stop accepting Naira as a means of payment...

Remember when Naira/dollar was at abt N500/$1, some businesses start insisting on using dollar as means of payment....and others hyper increased the value of their merchandise and some have not reduced it since then...e.g. Keyes Marwa use to be around N300k, it shot up to about N600k, even after stabilizing Naira, the price of keke marwa refuse to come down, same with many other goods and services.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 11, 2017
Truckpusher:
Print the goddamn thing and before the West will wake up and suspect anything you've already used it in buying shares, gold, companies from their economy while bringing in policies that will lure their investors down here with the promise of cheap labor and wait till everywhere is calm.

Haven't you heard about currency manipulation by China that America keeps crying about while they are the chief currency manipulators. grin
This is quite ridiculous.
You obviously lack an understanding of China's economic model.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 11, 2017
pocohantas:
It'll lead to inflation,if not hyper inflation.

Read about Zimbabwe. At some point, they had to express their money value in 'powers'. It was that bad
And the great German inflation that the country's currency was used as a wallpaper. It was that worthless 'cause they felt printing would solve their problem.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by oglalasioux(m): 9:44am On Oct 11, 2017
I hope it's from your village that government will use the money to buy things it wants because elsewhere the money won't be worth the paper it is printed on.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Truckpusher(m): 9:47am On Oct 11, 2017
TimeMod3:
This is quite ridiculous.
You obviously lack an understanding of China's economic model.
Jesus!! you've lost your sense of humor.
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by pocohantas(f): 9:48am On Oct 11, 2017
kimbraa:
And the great German inflation that the country's currency was used as a wallpaper. It was that worthless 'cause they felt printing would solve their problem.

You mean it?
Let me go read about it. I am more interested in how they resolved the inflation. I dey come *runs out of thread*
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by mojims: 9:49am On Oct 11, 2017
PLS READ ME!!! a country cannot print money morethan its export value, because the world bank regulate the amount to be printed it has to be less than your export value e.g if nigeria export crude oil and other valuables at $1million by the time you subtract the cost of printing $1million you wud be left with $800,000 to print worth of naira, if you exceed ur currency wud b worthless thats why every country can only print money the value of what they produce and cashless policy inproves the economy, cos nigeria can spend 200naira worth of material just to print 5naira and same amount to print 1000naira but they have to do it cos of getting change when you buy things

1 Like

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 11, 2017
malton:

Because printing such a huge naira amount would result in inflation.

Borrowing such huge amount wouldn't lead to inflation?...what the west wants us to bliv
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by ElRapido: 9:50am On Oct 11, 2017
Make dem sell Nigeria joor and share the money to everybody

1 Like

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Ensquare(m): 9:50am On Oct 11, 2017
9jakohai:

Because....inflation

Many often ask why government’s don’t print more money to deal with the problem of national debt.

The reason is that printing more money doesn’t increase economic output in any way – it merely causes inflation.

Suppose an economy produces £10 million worth of goods; e.g. 1 million books at £10 each.
If the government doubled the money supply, we would still have 1 million books, but people have more money. Demand for books would rise, and firms would push up prices.
The most likely scenario is that if the money supply were doubled, we would have 1 million books sold at £20. The economy is now worth £20 million rather than £10 million. But, the number of goods is exactly the same.
We can say that the increase in GDP is a money illusion. – True you have more money, but if everything is more expensive, you are not any better off.
In this simple model, printing more money has made goods more expensive, but hasn’t changed the quantity of goods.
[left][/left]

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/634/economics/the-problem-with-printing-money/

See what happened in ZImbabwe and Germany 1919-24
look at this,what if we print this naira exchange it with dollars n make sure make sure the money is in CBN(Not in circulation).Then use to dollars to settle all outstanding debt. will it still affect the economy?
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Ebookmathswaec: 9:51am On Oct 11, 2017
johndwayy:

But bros.. I don't think the op is talking about printing the money and sharing it to everyone's account. I think what he's saying is, why not print the money and use it for industrialization and infrastructural development that will in turn boost the economy.?

100000000000000 likes!
Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Oba09085(m): 9:51am On Oct 11, 2017
There are two main reasons why the government cannot just go ahead and print currency notes. One of them been inflation has been well explained by some other forum members in their post. The other is regarding what is known as fiduciary issue.
You see for every one naira printed by the CBN there is an asset with the worth of one naira backing the currency note. In the past all currency notes were backed up with metals such as gold or other valuable metals and were held by the central bank. However now many central banks make use of fiduciary issues which refers to currency which is not protected by a specific backing of metal or coin. These days the currency notes are backed up or protected by deposits with other central banks or short dated bills payable in other gold using countries.
So for the central bank to print new currency notes they must have enough deposite with another central banks to protect the new notes to be printed.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 11, 2017
You want an inflation to take place?

That will just make things worse!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Abdulsamad Rabiu Redeems ₦1 Billion Pledge To CBN / The 15 Fastest Growing Economies In Africa 2016 — IMF / Mass Sack, Investment Cuts Loom As Price Rout Shatters Oil Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.