Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide (1480 Views)

After A Ghastly Accident, How Can I Fix Or Repair This Car(pictures) / Help!! This Car Was Stolen In Onitsha This Morning (Photo) / Pls Is This Car Restorable And What Are Likely Cost? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by kuss: 2:24pm On Oct 13, 2017
I drive a Toyota Hilux 2011 which i use mostly for travels
Last week on my way back to Lagos around Benin Bypass i heard a cracking sound around my front wheel
I pull over to check only to discover my 2 front tyres could not move i initially thought it was the brakes that held down i tried to force it to move but the car could not move
I have 2 options to tow it to Lagos or call a mechanic
I decided to call a mechanic and he said my front axle has knocked but the good news is he can help me to fix it so can manage it to Lagos , i asked him what he was going to do he said he would disconnect the propeller and the front shaft so i will use only the back axle to drive to Lagos and he charged me 15k
The mechanic did has he said and i was able to drive it to lagos
Now to my surprise the vehicle now feels lighter and consume less fuel
My problem now is i intend to travel to wari next week can i still travel with it and what is the implication of driving with only back axle
Experts in the house please help
Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by mayor2013: 3:18pm On Oct 13, 2017
kuss:
Last week on my way back to Lagos around Benin Bypass i heard a cracking sound around my front wheel
I pull over to check only to discover my 2 front tyres could not move i initially thought it was the brakes that held down i tried to force it to move but the car could not move
I decided to call a mechanic and he said my front axle has knocked but the good news is he can help me to fix it so can manage it to Lagos , i asked him what he was going to do he said he would disconnect the propeller and the front shaft so i will use only the back axle to drive to Lagos and he charged me 15k
My problem now is i intend to travel to wari next week can i still travel with it and what is the implication of driving with only back axle

No propella.no drive shaft. Excuse me sir. For this journey to Warri. You are on your own
Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by Inception(m): 4:07pm On Oct 13, 2017
mayor2013:

No propella.no drive shaft. Excuse me sir. For this journey to Warri. You are on your own

I see your car is 4wd.

i would say that the front differential is toast.this is most likely due to lack of oil in the case, most likely as a result of a leaking seal.

Yes of course , your gas mileage will improve because of less drag. Personally i do not see any negative implication of removing it, since the truck is by default 2WD until auxiliary is engaged by driver input to get 4WD. (which of course, in the present situation,MUST NOT!)

I would say that you should also take a look at your transfer case too, to be sure there is no binding/locking

All the same check if you are in Lagos, check for this moniker : GAZZUZZ on this forum and contact him for proper diagnosis
Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:39pm On Oct 13, 2017
kuss:

thread title is hillarious, thought I would see a vehicle at the edge of a cliff grin

Meanwhile check rear differential for oil, if there is fire on.

I am of the opinion you killed the front by leaving it permanently on the wrong mode (locked 4X4).

With the rear you are good to go. Just remember not to drive into any loose sand or mud, you will not have the 4x4 option.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by kuss: 4:57pm On Oct 13, 2017
Thanks all
Wari here i come
Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by b2212(m): 5:40pm On Oct 13, 2017
kuss:
Thanks all
Wari here i come

which warri here you come?! Have you checked differential oil as adviced by Gazzuzz?!

1 Like

Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:04am On Oct 14, 2017
b2212:

which warri here you come?! Have you checked differential oil as adviced by Gazzuzz?!
lolz warri has been waiting for him since
Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by kuss: 12:19pm On Oct 14, 2017
I will surely do that before i travel
Re: Please Help Before This Car Commits Suicide by abolore80(m): 6:45am On Oct 15, 2017
You're good to go brother. you're now using 2wheel drive popularly know as back axle. You will enjoy better fuel economy and your vehicle will travel faster. However, do not have any regret, any day the use of 4x4 is needed. Goodluck and safe journey.

(1) (Reply)

How Toyota Turned A Sienna Into The World’s Most Bad-ass Minivan / Neatly Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Available For Sale SOLD SOLD SOLD / All-new 2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.