Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,572 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today (10112 Views)

Dr. Bukola Bello: Mum Who Went Back To School After 4 Kids, Graduates With A PhD / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba / Lady Who Got Pregnant At 17 Obtains Her Masters Degree At 24 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by revolt(m): 7:44am On Oct 15, 2017
Please im Igbo stop spewing trash. The internet was founded during the 2nd world war strictly for military communications in the US. Emeagwali wssnt even born. It's true he may have contributed significantly to I.T in the 90s buy definitely not founding the internet. Pls u guys shd get ur facts right so others don't laugh at us.

3 Likes

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by naijafortruth: 7:46am On Oct 15, 2017
revolt:
[s]Please im Igbo stop spewing trash. The internet was founded during the 2nd world war strictly for military communications in the US. Emeagwali wssnt even born. It's true he may have contributed significantly to I.T in the 90s buy definitely not founding the internet. Pls u guys shd get ur facts right so others don't laugh at us.[/s]

Ewu Afonja
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by revolt(m): 8:01am On Oct 15, 2017
naijafortruth:

Ewu Afonja
lekwe efulefu, ..........anuohia na akpo mpa ya ewu afonja....... Amadi oha gba gi pieces.

3 Likes

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by handsomebanana(m): 9:23am On Oct 15, 2017
revolt:
Please im Igbo stop spewing trash. The internet was founded during the 2nd world war strictly for military communications in the US. Emeagwali wssnt even born. It's true he may have contributed significantly to I.T in the 90s buy definitely not founding the internet. Pls u guys shd get ur facts right so others don't laugh at us.

U too much joor
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by barapistis(m): 9:30am On Oct 15, 2017
The guy was never a doctor nor a professor

Just a heap of lies

He makes money via addsense writing lies

Check quora to know more

3 Likes

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by bot101(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2017
revolt:

Please try and find the difference between Arpanet and Internet. He is a MAJOR contributor to the structure of the internet as we know it today.
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by nervorum: 1:53pm On Oct 15, 2017
shervydman:
imagine........oyinbos are the greatest enemy of the blacks.

On the contrary, the black man is his own enemy.
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by barapistis(m): 2:13pm On Oct 15, 2017
bot101:

Please try and find the difference between Arpanet and Internet. He is a MAJOR contributor to the structure of the internet as we know it today.

Your source of info please
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by musicwriter(m): 2:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
libertyhope2017:
This my friend is going to Standford and today he called me back home and told me...do you know who the white professor mentioned as one of leading founders of internet? He says Dr. Philip Emeagwali. That after the lecture, he approached the professor, a white man mind you, and asked him about the controversy surrounding his name as the founders of internet, the professor told him, the truth is we that have extensive research in this field for over 40 yrs know Dr. Emeagweali works as a young man, I knew him personally as a PhD student, and as with many others in the field, we know that his research and discoveries are the corner stone to the birth of internet. He went further, had he been a white man, no doubt he would be crowned the father of internet. Mind you this my friend is not Igbo, he was among those who bought into this propaganda that Dr. Emeagwali was a fraud, but find it striking that he his on all books they are using this semester, all books written by white men, citing him as one of the leading founders of internet.

Yes, Emeagwali made super computing possible. Things like the cloud computing we talk about today won't have been possible without his invention.

Without Emeagwali's invention internet speed would have been slower across the world. Without his super computing you can't have 4G phones or 4G networks to begin with, because you can't have host computers or servers fast enough to power such technology.

It's not as if it's not known, but the system makes sure such a person don't come to limelight as he could be an inspiration opening up the minds of Africans about science. If he was a writer or may be an actor he would have been promoted to high heaven to make it appear that's what a black hero ought to be.

You begin to wonder what African governments are doing. Such a person should get all the promotion he could get to help inspire Africans. No one else can do it for us.

One of the last thing pinning black people down is this lack of understanding of science and that someone could be a science hero.

I will encourage you to go through the 2 links below to read what he himself wrote about the subjugation of black achievements throughout history. If you read it you will understand the problem we face as black people and why they dont want him known.

The subjugation of black achiements- By Philip Emeagwali http://emeagwali.com/speeches/black-history-month/african-history-lost-stolen-or-strayed.html

What he wrote above is similar to what I wrote here. See the lost history. Why black history was stolen. http://www.africason.com/2016/01/the-lost-history-why-was-black-history.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by pinking(f): 3:19pm On Oct 15, 2017
Genius or no genius pls y dis racism and hatered for ourselves? Lets live in harmony. If we divide ourselves we will all suffer it. Bliv it or not. No clever clapper can clap with 1 hand

1 Like

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 15, 2017
Seun Osewa is the son of Intanat grin grin
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by babyfaceafrica: 4:55pm On Oct 15, 2017
Is that all?
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by senatorizyking(m): 10:23pm On Oct 15, 2017
biafranation:

Afonja...any mention of Igbos in success, they rear their envy head in anger and hate. Are Igbos competing with you people? Are you our mate? This is the kind of insult Igbos receive in this country? If yorubaas are man enough, agree to separation of this country as Igbos are clamoring for, you will know who Igbos are. Lets separate, you be on your own, and Igbos on their own, and we compete and see. You hide under one Nigeria with gross marginalization of Igbos to drag feet with Igbos. SMH

Tell them, They don't know....
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by zinizta: 3:41am On Oct 16, 2017
Dr Phil Emeagwali Is A Great Man, But When Did Greatness Become The Sole Right Of One Section Or Tribe. The Doctor Belongs To The Black Race And We Should All Be Proud And Inspired. He Became What He Is By Dilligence And Dedication, And Not Cause He Was Born Into One Tribe Or The Other. Tribalism Makes You Look Stupid!
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by Hades2016(m): 6:40am On Oct 16, 2017
Opakan2:
How you people tell yourselves these heavy lies and still sleep at night is beyond me.

When was the igbo race discovered sef to start with and who gave you education

Peraon wey see una wey no run don enter one chance
trabalism , dis is what we are still talking about in here .. This tribalism shiiit have to stop cuz it’s stinks
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by JazzMode: 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
shervydman:
imagine........oyinbos are the greatest enemy of the blacks.
Naah!
Blacks are their own greatest enemy. Never getting anything right on their own, always blaming the whites for their weos.
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by JazzMode: 3:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
zinizta:
Dr Phil Emeagwali Is A Great Man, But When Did Greatness Become The Sole Right Of One Section Or Tribe. The Doctor Belongs To The Black Race And We Should All Be Proud And Inspired. He Became What He Is By Dilligence And Dedication, And Not Cause He Was Born Into One Tribe Or The Other. Tribalism Makes You Look Stupid!
I tire o.
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by FisifunKododada: 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
Lies...and the lying liars that tell them...tell your friend to give you the names of these fathom textbooks....

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by handsomebanana(m): 7:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
bot101:

Stop speaking in abstract terms and tell me what he did exactly.

What structure are we talking about? What exactly did he do? What works and why have they not been documented?
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by handsomebanana(m): 7:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
FisifunKododada:
Lies...and the lying liars that tell them...tell your friend to give you the names of these fathom textbooks....

I wonder why I did not think of this.

The name of the textbooks would be a fùcking great place to start with

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by bot101(m): 8:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
barapistis:

Your source of info please
handsomebanana:

Stop speaking in abstract terms and tell me what he did exactly.

What structure are we talking about? What exactly did he do? What works and why have they not been documented?

Well, the internet is the largest source of information, especially in times like this. I'll point you to a few resources where you can verify what I'll be posting below.

You'll find older winners of the Gordon bells Prize award on this page: http://www.sc2000.org/bell/pastawrd.htm.

Do you know when he won the award? In 1989!!! Yeah, almost 30 years ago!!!

Do you know why he won the award I'll post an excerpt, as well as a link you can follow up for more info below:

"Emeagwali's 1970s hypothesis on 64,000 networked computers around the Earth led to his programming of 64,000 processors inside a big box to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second, a world record in 1989. For the latter achievement, he won the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, which is the “Nobel prize of supercomputing.”

http://emeagwali.com/biography/

Another excerpt from the website of chief proponents of the lie that he (Emeagwali) didn't win the prize, or won it fraudlently:

"Mr. Karp told Saharareporters that Mr. Emeagwali didn’t win “by default,” and conceded that “as a lone graduate student he solved a harder problem that could have taken a team to solve,” "

[url]http://saharareporters.com/2010/10/26/alan-karp-1989-gordon-bell-prize-judge-debunks-emeagwali%E2%80%99s-father-internet-claims[/url]

You thought the Op was lying?? Well this is the info from an American University's Archive: http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/computer-science/emeagwali_philip.html

And for those who still don't understand why he won the Gordon Bell Prize award, in lay man's terms, he programmed 64,000 individual CPUs to work together to perform calculations. That was a world record in that time. How does that translate to today's internet structure? Well, that is the basis for how the internet is organized today, replace those CPUs with your laptop, web server, mobile phone, e.t.c, e.t.c.

N.B: I didn't want to respond to those that quoted me because this is really old info, and I don't like having to prove what I am certain is true to people when it doesn't benefit me in any way, and especially when Google still exists. I won't be responding to further questions regarding this topic. Banters and thumbs up?? Maybe.
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by handsomebanana(m): 9:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
bot101:

Well, the internet is the largest source of information, especially in times like this. I'll point you to a few resources where you can verify what I'll be posting below.

You'll find older winners of the Gordon bells Prize award on this page: http://www.sc2000.org/bell/pastawrd.htm.

Do you know when he won the award? In 1989!!! Yeah, almost 30 years ago!!!

Do you know why he won the award I'll post an excerpt, as well as a link you can follow up for more info below:

"Emeagwali's 1970s hypothesis on 64,000 networked computers around the Earth led to his programming of 64,000 processors inside a big box to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second, a world record in 1989. For the latter achievement, he won the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize, which is the “Nobel prize of supercomputing.”

http://emeagwali.com/biography/

Another excerpt from the website of chief proponents of the lie that he (Emeagwali) didn't win the prize, or won it fraudlently:

"Mr. Karp told Saharareporters that Mr. Emeagwali didn’t win “by default,” and conceded that “as a lone graduate student he solved a harder problem that could have taken a team to solve,” "

[url]http://saharareporters.com/2010/10/26/alan-karp-1989-gordon-bell-prize-judge-debunks-emeagwali%E2%80%99s-father-internet-claims[/url]

You thought the Op was lying?? Well this is the info from an American University's Archive: http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/computer-science/emeagwali_philip.html

And for those who still don't understand why he won the Gordon Bell Prize award, in lay man's terms, he programmed 64,000 individual CPUs to work together to perform calculations. That was a world record in that time. How does that translate to today's internet structure? Well, that is the basis for how the internet is organized today, replace those CPUs with your laptop, web server, mobile phone, e.t.c, e.t.c.

N.B: I didn't want to respond to those that quoted me because this is really old info, and I don't like having to prove what I am certain is true to people when it doesn't benefit me i any way, and especially when Google still exists. I won't be responding to further questions regarding this topic. Banters and thumbs up?? Maybe.

I need to make some corrections to your post, so you don't go around peddling rumours as a fact.

1. The basic foundation of the internet relies on the simple TCP/IP connection. There are other layers on top but this is the most important one. Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn. It was developed between 1978 - 1983. I would not be able to make a post on nairaland without a TCP connection. They alone deserve the title of the 'Fathers of the Internet".

2. Philip did work on Supercomputing, not the internet. Yes you claim he connected 65000 cpus together. I ask you a question, what exactly did he use in conecting them together. If he discovered a novel way to do it, then I'm all ears, tell me, or he used someone's method.

3. The Gordon Bell award is not the 'Nobel prize of Supercomputing' neither is it it's equivalent. Rather, the Turing award would suffice. The creator of the World Wide Web is the man who won the 2016 Turing award.

4. How does creating a Supercomputing project make one assume the title of 'Father of Internet'. They are not in any way related.

And yes, we need black men at the top as well in Science and Technology, but we are not that desperate that we would accept a con man in that position.

Your links cite nothing about his contribution to the internet, but rather, his research on Supercomputing, which only buttresses my point.

1 Like

Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by RealMillennial(m): 4:30am On Oct 17, 2017
If this man made his groundbreaking findings (whatever they were) somewhere in Lagos or Nsukka, am sure we'd be the African Beijing by now.
My point?
The idea of a black African making such scientific discovery is awesome, yes. But there's a whole 'nother level of consequences when its happening in the PhD research lab of a foreign university, with their own R & D superstructure ready to absorb any such achievement and spin it into something marketable and for their benefit. Whoever originally came up with the idea soon becomes history. What the tech market the world over wants to know is who turned it into something tangible even if that was the easiest part.

If a chinese came up with that idea, he'd bottle up the ambition and make his way to China or a chinese firm or University, where he won't struggle intellectual property issues with anybody. That way whatever he comes up with stands recognized as a Chinese invention, with their own indigenous firms ready to develop it into a commercial technology. And Chinese govt will give him whatever he needs to succeed.

So the challenge here, I think, was not the white man's suppression per se. It was more of the black man's inability or lack of the resources and platform to bring his idea to life in his own territory, where he can control what happens after and who has a stake.

Given the time of this discovery, it would hav been a monumental task or impossible trying to apply the Chinese man's strategy above. because, what did we know abt Science and tech down here? we were busy with oil money and millitary coups. I wasn't even born,thank God. laughs. And most of these free-minded intellectuals dont reason along the cat n dog lines of thought. They just wanna make stuff happen.

Now back to reality:
Our own institutions,
our own universities,
our own ministry of Sci. & Tech.,
Our own companies and research agencies.
These are the platforms we'd be able to stand and build something we can call our own. Else our God given talent might just keep serving already existing foreign systems with little or no credit.
Lets build n grow these things to standard. We will rule.

Shun tribalism!!!!!
I luv u guys.

-- a Scientist
Re: This Is What My Friend Who Went To America For Masters Degree Told Me Today by digona(m): 11:10pm On Mar 31, 2018
hi pinky my name is Alex can we chat 08182700901

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official JAMB Malpractice List - Reasons Why JAMB Will Seize Your Result / 15 Creepy Vintage Photos That Should Be Buried Deep In The Earth / OSPOLY Iree Expels 14 Student Leaders For Protesting (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.