Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,977 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (38291 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos / Sad Memories Of Slavery As GOOGLE Celebrates Anambra Born Olaudah Equiano- PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by shallysgirl: 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
Propaganda, hate and green envy is the second name of afonjazzy. Never seen so much envy and pull him down syndrome in my life.
rufychuks:

The way you guys just formulate stories from thin air is astonishing! Olaudah Equiano wrote his autobiography. He stated where he was born, he talked about his father and mother. He wrote about their customs and traditions. Please where did you get this assumption that he was born far from his homeland? Haba! Argument is not by force o!
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Pigsandidiots: 4:42pm On Oct 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

If you went to the university and you did final-year project then you should know that wikipedia is never a reliable source of research. Anybody can go to Wikipedia to edit articles and some of their information are never verified. Moreover, the Etsako you see on wiki was just edited into the article today by some anonymous person from nairaland whereas 99% other articles on his origin all say 'Ebo', 'Igbo' etc.

Now I put it to you. Provide us academic or linguistic evidence, asides unreliable wikipedia, that he was from Etsako.
Clap for yourself. I believe you since you said people from nairaland went to edit it. Good of you. But you people have been saying he said he's igbo. Now as a university graduate that you are. Can you bring out his quote where he said he's igbo? Once I see the his quote, then I will give up.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by MetaPhysical: 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Those are full Igbo names.
Even if they spoke Russian, they remain Igbo by birth.

Olaudah, Vassa has never been Ibo name.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
MetaPhysical:

Igbo amaka cheesy

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by MetaPhysical: 4:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
rufychuks:

What exactly do you want to know? Is it that Olaudah was not Igbo or that the Igbos were under the Benin Empire?
If you read the writings on the pictures I posted, you will clearly see that those are customs of the Igbo.
Please do not argue without concrete facts. The book is there for all to read. After reading it, then you can make your conclusions. Do not dwell on Wikipedia posts which can be made by anyone. Read what Olaudah himself wrote.

I stated that the Wikipedia article is similar with the picture you posted.

You replied that it wasn't. Now I ask you to point out the part that isn't similar, you are diverting the question.

How can you say Wikipedia isn't reliable but the one you claim to be reliable is similar to the Wikipedia article.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Lilimax(f): 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2017
comos:

Please tell me where Essaka is located in Igbo Land
The so called Essaka is the present day Isseke in Ihiala L.G. Area of Anambra state embarassed
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

A small part of Igboland was subject to the Bini empire, especially the anioma region, not the entire Igboland. We all know that. Just as Lagos and some other areas of Yorubaland were under the Bini empire also, do we say that the Yorubas were under the rule of Benin empire and migrated out of Benin? After all the Obanikoro family of Lagos state is from Bini?

Thanks. Atleast your response is more matured than the rest who can't stand a contrary opinion.
As for the small part of igbos that were under the Benin Empire, were the people of Onitcha not also under the Benin Empire?

The reason I ask is the stereotype response I have received in the past making it look like it was only aniomas that were under the Benin Kingdom which is not so.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
Lilimax:

The so called Essaka is the present day Isseke in Ihiala L.G. Area of Anambra state embarassed

If essaka is in anambra state, what correlation does it have with Benin kingdom because olauadah mentioned essaka or estako in Edo state.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
igbodefender:

On the contrary, in his great book The Travels Of Gustavus Vassa The African, he kept repeating "I am Iboe, I am Iboe", which is good enough for me.

Kindly provide source to back up your claim. Please don't provide a blog or summarized post.

Thanks
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
I tire for these people oo.

The guy is from Edo state, he had knowledge of igbo and spoke it to igbo slaves..All of a sudden he is now Igbo. grin

Just like the guy that is running for governor in anambra state, his name is Oseloka Obaze. He speaks igbo but he isnt igbo.

You are terrible. So a benin man will abandon his own language and write igbo in his biography. A benin man will also ignore his own culture and describe igbo culture in his biography. You are funny, i swear.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rufychuks: 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

You replied that it wasn't. Now I ask you to point out the part that isn't similar, you are diverting the question.

How can you say Wikipedia isn't reliable but the one you claim to be reliable is similar to the Wikipedia article.
What is the similarity? That Olaudah mentioned the Benin empire? You claim that Olaudah was Edo but the man himself wrote in his autobiography that he was Eboe (former spelling of Ibo and currently Igbo).
The Chiefs and elders of his village were the kings he knew. Saying that they were under the Benin Empire doesn't mean they were Bini or that the Oba had any direct authority over them. It was just that the power of the Oba was widespread and all within Southern Nigeria then would have known of his majesty. It doesn't necessarily mean the whole Southern Nigeria were Binis.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by bigfrancis21: 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
MetaPhysical:
Nnamdi Azikiwe
Chukwuemeka Ojukwu
Nzeogwu

Each of these were born in North, in Hausa speaking territory and they spoke fluent Hausa. If these people had been caught and sold into slavery while still young as Olaudah was, their memory of birth, environment and mode of expression would be nothing but Hausa and Hausaland. If asked about their birth and environment it would all be relative to Hausa culture, even though their true ethnicity and background is non-Hausa. Correct?

There are many Ibos today born in North and never stepped foot in Iboland and cant even speak Ibo. All they understand is Hausa. Same with Ibos born and raised in Yorubaland. Olaudah should be viewed in same fate, a man of non-Ibo origin, born and raised in Ibo culture.

Nna you too sabi book. Welldone.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
emezuo17:
But history has it that he was from ikwuano umuahia. The name olaido was a corruption of the original 'olaedo' the igbo will know better, while equani, was actually ikwuano

Envious yolobats trying hard to cover their shame. Read his own book and you will clearly confirm his igboness.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rufychuks: 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

And Wikipedia really isn't reliable. Just download the book online and read. It will make you realize you have been mistaken all along.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
rufychuks:

What is the similarity? That Olaudah mentioned the Benin empire? You claim that Olaudah was Edo but the man himself wrote in his autobiography that he was Eboe (former spelling of Ibo and currently Igbo).
The Chiefs and elders of his village were the kings he knew. Saying that they were under the Benin Empire doesn't mean they were Bini or that the Oba had any direct authority over them. It was just that the power of the Oba was widespread and all within Southern Nigeria then would have know of his majesty. It doesn't necessarily mean the whole Southern Nigeria were Binis.

This is serious.

Now, I stated that the writing in the picture you posted is similar to what was written on Wikipedia page which you claim that Wikipedia isnt reliable.

So why is it that the writing in the so called reliable image you provided is similar to what was written on the Wikipedia page.

That's my question to you.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
GreenCap:

Olaude Ekwualo is from Imo State, Orlu District precisely

Iboe slave routes at that time:

from OnuImo to Uburu next Aro then Calabar

or Obuaku to Opobo

Bonny and so on

his great grand nephews alive today look exactly like him

Please do more research on this. Get their 'documented names and pics' if pissible. Yolobats are very terrible.

If you cant, write a research proposal and send it to UNN history department on the need do trace and document Equiano's present lineage. Please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

You are terrible. So a benin man will abandon his own language and write igbo in his biography. A benin man will also ignore his own culture and describe igbo culture in his biography. You are funny, i swear.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

If you had the patience to read and digest the article, you will understand what's going on.

Now, can you provide where I said he was a Benin man?

Also, the link provided, olaulah started the he is from estako in Edo state. Is estako an Igbo village?

Can you answer these questions.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 16, 2017
ofai:
Anyone who read his book knew his narrative of being eboe (Igbo) in essaka somewhere in the Benin empire. He was Midwest Igbo.

He is NOT mid west igbo. He is Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:
Igbo amaka grin grin

cc
Leez

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/sad-memories-of-slavery/amp/

lalasticlala
mynd44
mukina
cao
move ds ministry to fp na
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
rufychuks:

And Wikipedia really isn't reliable. Just download the book online and read. It will make you realize you have been mistaken all along.

Give me the source to download the full narration (not summary) .

Thank you
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
Leez:

lalasticlala
mynd44
mukina
cao
move ds ministry to fp na
It is already on front page but another thread.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

If you had the patience to read and digest the article, you will understand what's going on.

Now, can you provide where I said he was a Benin man?

Also, the link provided, olaulah started the he is from estako in Edo state. Is estako an Igbo village?

Can you answer these questions.

Are you normal? Why didn't he write his own etsako language and culture if he is etsako.

What is wrong with you? Aren't you ashamed of yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

Are you normal? Why didn't he write his own etsako language and culture if he is etsako.

What is wrong with you? Aren't you ashamed of yourself.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rufychuks: 5:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Thanks. Atleast your response is more matured than the rest who can't stand a contrary opinion.
As for the small part of igbos that were under the Benin Empire, were the people of Onitcha not also under the Benin Empire?

The reason I ask is the stereotype response I have received in the past making it look like it was only aniomas that were under the Benin Kingdom which is not so.
"...our subjection to the king of Benin was little more than nominal; for every transaction of the government, as far as my slender observation extended, was conducted by chiefs or elders of the place. The manners and government of a people who have little commerce with other countries are generally very simple; and the history of what passes in one family or village, may serve as a specimen of the whole nation."
This should clarify things. He wrote that although the King was known and respected, his influence over them was almost nonexistent.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 5:36pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
It is already on front page but another thread.
aii
tnx bro
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

Envious yolobats trying hard to cover their shame. Read his own book and you will clearly confirm his igboness.
yolobat yoots
chai u ppl wee not kee person on NL
grin grin
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
A full grown man wrote a book and said he is eboe. He narrated his own culture which clearly is igbo and mentioned some igbo words. Yet some idiots come here to argue rubbish.

And what if he is etsako, where is yoloba equivalent of equiano olaudah. Tell us about a greater yoloba man not fighting for the etsakos. The etsako people should come here and claim him. Then i will start.
Shameless yoliba people.

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rufychuks: 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Give me the source to download the full narration (not summary) .

Thank you
I downloaded the book a few months ago. I got it by searching for it on Google. Try that too.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:
A full grown man wrote a book and said he is eboe. He narrated his own culture which clearly is igbo and mentioned some igbo words. Yet some idiots come here to argue rubbish.

And what if he is etsako, where is yoloba equivalent of equiano olaudah. Tell us about a greater yoloba man not fighting for the etsakos. The etsako people should come here and claim him. Then i will start.
Shameless yoliba people.
grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

Shameless yoliba people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Anti-amotekun Protest Rocks Ekiti / Aisha Buhari Assembles 12 Billionaires For Her Book Launch / Photo Of Buhari With Victorious Eaglets In 1985, About To Do Same In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.