Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos (7005 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image / Nnamdi Kanu: Yorubas Confess. 60% Real Estate In Lagos Owned By Igbos. Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by comos: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
I wonder why Igbos are calming the famous Oladuah Equiano as one of their own, but google-wikipedia has actually trace the root of this man to present Edo state, Nigeria.

Please find below an extract of his history from google-Wikipedia

Early life and enslavement[edit]
Equiano recounted an incident when an attempted kidnapping of children was foiled by adults in his villages in Benin, Nigeria.When he was around the age of eleven, he and his sister were left alone to look after their family's premises, as was common when adults went out of the house to work. They were both kidnapped and taken far away from their hometown of Etsako, separated, and sold to slave traders.

source: Wikipedia-Google.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by nwabobo: 9:34am On Oct 16, 2017
comos:
I wonder why Igbos are calming the famous Oladuah Equiano as one of their own, but google-wikipedia has actually trace the root of this man to present Edo state, Nigeria.

Equiano recounted an incident when an attempted kidnapping of children was foiled by adults in his villages in Benin, Nigeria. When he was around the age of eleven, he and his sister were left alone to look after their family's premises, as was common when adults went out of the house to work. They were both kidnapped and taken far away from their hometown of Etsako, separated, and sold to slave traders.

That Wikipedia is your source of info explains why JAMB reduced cut off mark to 120. I rest my case.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 16, 2017
comos:

Equiano recounted an incident when an attempted kidnapping of children was foiled by adults in his villages in Benin, Nigeria.When he was around the age of eleven, he and his sister were left alone to look after their family's premises, as was common when adults went out of the house to work. They were both kidnapped and taken far away from their hometown of Etsako, separated, and sold to slave traders.

Lol. I visited his wikipedia page few years ago and it was stated that his origin is Eboe (wrong spelling of igbo). Recently, some envious yolobats edited wikipedia and put benin there. However the benin slave history is well documented and they know he is not their son. Hence the benin never claimed him.

Shame on yolobats. There are not the first to receive western education afterall. Shame.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 16, 2017
Wanna hide something from a black man?? Hide it in a book.
You can even edit any article on wikipedia.
No be only Bini

28 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bestview: 10:37am On Oct 16, 2017
Eboe=Ibo=Igbo

5 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by comos: 10:38am On Oct 16, 2017
Please consult this website www.dcc.newberry.org for his handwritten autobiography ,

where he stated his days while in Eboe (Edo) or benin
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 16, 2017
comos:

"in one of the most remote and fertile of which, called Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745, in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. "

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 2

8 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by comos: 10:44am On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

"in one of the most remote and fertile of which, called Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745, in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. "

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 2

Please consult this website www.dcc.newberry.org for his handwritten autobiography ,

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:09am On Oct 16, 2017
That name doesn't even sound Igbo. His slave master renamed him Gustava so his original name is Oladuah Equiano sounds more Benin if you ask me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by BudeYahooCom: 11:13am On Oct 16, 2017
comos:
[s]I wonder why Igbos are calming the famous Oladuah Equiano as one of their own, but google-wikipedia has actually trace the root of this man to present Edo state, Nigeria.

source: Wikipedia-Google.[/s]

Your muslim anti-Igbo ewedu-dripping mouth can cry to Allah 100 times the truth remains that Olaudah in his book made it very clear he is Eboe (Igbo) without leaving a shred of doubt, he only passed through benin enroute to slavery. We know you this but can't live with the fact that the great Igbo man is being celebrated globally due to your prehistoric envy. Pls die if you want to. cheesy cheesy

Fact number 1.
He translated his name Ikwuano (Equiano) Olaudah (which mean loud voice in Igbo). What does Olaudah mean in Edo or yoruba (as you would like to claim by extension)?

Fact 2
He mentioned 'Esseke' which is a town actually spelt Iseke in Ihiala local government area Anambra of today. I am from Ihiala and today a 45 minute drive from Ihiala will get you into the region that was the old benin empire. You see the proximity? grin

Fact 3
In his book, he mentioned our Igbo for market days as 'Oye' (Orie) 'Ukwo' (Nkwo) 'Ah-for' (Afor) 'Ekeh' (Eke). Where does benin come in here?

Cry till you die, grit your muslim teeth till you quench with hate. Everyone knows Olaudah remain IGBO as every true historian knows. Bitter pill for you right? grin

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:
That name doesn't even sound Igbo. His slave master renamed him Gustava so his original name is Oladuah Equiano sounds more Benin if you ask me.
So, tell us the meaning of Olaudah and Equiano in Benin language
We are waiting

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:17am On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

So, tell us the meaning of Olaudah and Equiano in Benin language
We are waiting
U tell me what it means in Igbo, I am not Benin.
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:23am On Oct 16, 2017
According to Wikipedia he said he was captured from his home town in Etsako in present day Edo state so why are the Igbos trying to claim him. Is it because Edo was spelt an Eboe, now translated Eboe to Igbo.i though you guys said it was the British who spent Igbo wrongly am Ibo . The guy is from Edo state Jare, I was wondering how the name Oladuah Equiano became Igbo doesn't even sound Igbo one bit.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:28am On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Your muslim anti-Igbo ewedu-dripping mouth can cry to Allah 100 times the truth remains that Olaudah in his book made it very clear he is Eboe (Igbo) without leaving a shred of doubt, he only passed through benin enroute to slavery. We know you this but can't live with the fact that the great Igbo man is being celebrated globally due to your prehistoric envy. Pls die if you want to. cheesy cheesy

Fact number 1.
He translated his name Ikwuano (Equiano) Olaudah (which mean loud voice in Igbo). What does Olaudah mean in Edo or yoruba (as you would like to claim by extension)?

Fact 2
He mentioned 'Esseke' which is a town actually spelt Iseke in Ihiala local government area Anambra of today. I am from Ihiala and today a 45 minute drive from Ihiala will get you into the region that was the old benin empire. You see the proximity? grin

Fact 3
In his book, he mentioned our Igbo for market day as 'Oye' (Orie) 'Ukwo' (Nkwo) 'Ah-for' (Afor) 'Ekeh' (Eke). Where does benin come in here.

Cry till you die, grit your muslim teeth till you quench with hate. Everyone knows Olaudah remain IGBO as every True historian knows. Bitter pill for you right? grin

Mumu cancelling Wikipedia's account of Oladuah Equiano's testament of where he came from, where is your source not just stupid guess work of Eboe meaning Ibo.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

U tell me what it means in Igbo, I am not Benin.

BudeYahooCom already posted

1. Ikwuano (Equiano)
2. Olaudah (Ola=jewel / Udah = loud/musical).
3. So Olaudah means a loud/melodious/musical jewel

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by dubxy(m): 11:30am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:
According to Wikipedia he said he was captured from his home town in Etsako in present day Edo state so why are the Igbos trying to claim him. Is it because Edo was spelt an Eboe, now translated Eboe to Igbo.i though you guys said it was the British who spent Igbo wrongly am Ibo . The guy is from Edo state Jare, I was wondering how the name Oladuah Equiano became Igbo doesn't even sound Igbo one bit.
Are you so stupid to know that anyone can edit wikipedia ?
Now take a closer look at this screenshot
Afonja, why do you think it was edited today ?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:32am On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

BudeYahooCom already posted

1. Ikwuano (Equiano)
2. Olaudah (Ola=jewel / Udah = loud/musical).
3. So Olaudah means a loud/melodious/musical jewel
Guy lemme tell you different names means different meaning in different languages. Igbo is a tribe but Igbo in Yourba means Bush or weed.

For the fact his name has meaning in Igbo doesn't make him Igbo, his Testament revieled he is from Etsako a village near Bini Kingdom.

Where is your own source, Equiano said it himself he is from Etsako.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:
The mumu Edo/Bini people were the imbec1les selling their neighbors into slavery.

Now, can you show us other documents where Edo was spelt as Eboe?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

Guy lemme tell you different names means different meaning in different languages. Igbo is a tribe but Igbo in Yourba means Bush or weed.

For the fact his name gas meaning in Igbo doesn't make him Igbo, his Testament revieled he is from Etsako a village near Bini Kingdom.

so tell us what Olaudah Equiano means in Etsako.

7 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by BudeYahooCom: 11:34am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

Mumu cancelling Wikipedia's account of Oladuah Equiano's testament of where he came from, where is your source not just stupid guess work of Eboe meaning Ibo.

Muslimumu ewedurudeen anti-ibo, Have you read his book, he TRANSLATED HIS NAME OLAUDAH AS 'LOUD VOICE' therein and that's what it really means in Igbo. What does it mean in Benin? Even the Benin people here know the truth and are not foolish enough to claim him.

Read book, you say na ile Ikewu arabic school you go go. Na me do you?

cheesy cheesy

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by dubxy(m): 11:36am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

For the fact his name has meaning in Igbo doesn't make him Igbo, his Testament revieled he is from Etsako a village near Bini Kingdom.

It's Esseke not Etsako
I think you're the most confused person here

15 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:38am On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Muslimumu ewedurudeen anti-ibo, Have you read his book, he TRANSLATED HIS NAME OLAUDAH AS 'LOUD VOICE' therein and that's what it really means in Igbo.

cheesy cheesy

Give us the link to the book, I don't think anybody would want to deliberately change his origin just to discredit Igbos. Give us the link.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

Give us the link to the book, I don't think anybody would want to deliberately change his origin just to discredit Igbos. Give us the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Interesting_Narrative_of_the_Life_of_Olaudah_Equiano

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15399

4 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by comos: 11:53am On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

The mumu Edo/Bini people were the imbec1les selling their neighbors into slavery.

Now, can you show us other documents where Edo was spelt as Eboe?

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:56am On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Interesting_Narrative_of_the_Life_of_Olaudah_Equiano

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15399
They even said there is a controversy over his Origin, well it adds nothing to my life I am not Anti-igbo just thought it was one of those threads Igbos on Nairaland tried to twist history to favour them.

I wonder who wrote the part in Wikipedia that say Etsako his hometown close to Bini.

Which ever way either Esseke or Etsako I don't care.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by bakynes(m): 11:58am On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Muslimumu ewedurudeen anti-ibo, Have you read his book, he TRANSLATED HIS NAME OLAUDAH AS 'LOUD VOICE' therein and that's what it really means in Igbo. What does it mean in Benin? Even the Benin people here know the truth and are not foolish enough to claim him.

cheesy cheesy

You are just a big he-goat am not Muslim so fu*ck off

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by BudeYahooCom: 11:59am On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

Don't you know how to google and buy books on Amazon and ebay. If na 'yahoo yahoo' you go sabi that one. cheesy

Tell your Arabic school alfa to include computer literature in your curriculum even if it will be done in Arabic letters. cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by libertyhope2017: 12:00pm On Oct 16, 2017
comos:
[s]I wonder why Igbos are calming the famous Oladuah Equiano as one of their own, but google-wikipedia has actually trace the root of this man to present Edo state, Nigeria.

[/s]

Afonjas..all they do every day morning to night is...THINKING ABOUT IGBOS AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING, THEIR PAST AND PRESENT. Ignore this nuisance, he knows he is Igbo, but typical afonja mindset..."How can this known figure be Igbo", it pains them, so they decide to open a thread. Wicked things!

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

They even said there is a controversy over his Origin, well it adds nothing to my life I am not Anti-igbo just thought it was one of those threads Igbos on Nairaland tried to twist history to favour them.

I wonder who wrote the part in Wikipedia that say Etsako his hometown close to Bini.

The "year" was called "ah-affoe" in Olaudah's language. Guess which language it is . .

"They calculated our time, and foretold events, as their name imported, for we called them Ah-affoe-way-cah, which signifies calculators or yearly men, our year being called Ah-affoe"

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 11

6 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by NwaforIgbo: 12:04pm On Oct 16, 2017
Why dont you guys just go and read the book and stop spewing trash. Ignorance is not an excuse, it is available in google books.

Read from chapter 1 - 2 there he explained his origin et al.

2 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ElsonMorali: 12:05pm On Oct 16, 2017
Why am I not surprised? History revisers.
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by NwaforIgbo: 12:06pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

Why dont you guys just go and read the book and stop spewing trash. Ignorance is not an excuse, it is available in google books.

Read from chapter 1 - 2 there he explained his origin et al.

Does the benins circumsize?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ugwuanyi's Door-to-door Campaign Excites Enugu Residents Ahead Of March 9 Polls / Swear-in Jonathan Or Leave Our Oil, Ijaw Youths Declare / Kogi Lawmaker Loses Teeth In Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.