Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,667 members, 7,820,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (38295 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos / Sad Memories Of Slavery As GOOGLE Celebrates Anambra Born Olaudah Equiano- PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 2:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

You are just a pained Igbo-phobic nigerian grin grin

Igbo amaka grin grin

Lol..The truth hurts right grin grin

Whenever you are told the truthm the person becomes igbophobic. Am sure that Jew that gave you guys the shocking revealation too was igbophobic? cheesy undecided undecided undecided undecided cheesy

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by timsTNA: 2:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
truthtosinknaij:
Equiano became a rich man and the work is still read and revered to this day as a masterpiece of the colonial period.

He was born on 16 October 1746 in Essaka in the Eboe province of southern Nigeria

link
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/olaudah-equiano-google-doodle-interesting-narrative-memoir-autobiography-slave-trade-british-empire-a8002411.html

God bless you
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by timsTNA: 2:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Lol..The truth hurts right grin grin

Whenever you are told the truthm the person becomes igbophobic. Am sure that Jew that gave you guys the shocking revealation too was igbophobic? cheesy undecided undecided undecided undecided cheesy

A man who called himself igbo and rightfully so. On that same Wikipedia you quote, check out the list of prominent Igbo and you'll find Equano among the names
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by cstr1000: 2:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
GavelSlam:
He was not Igbo.

Trust the same attache by force people to once again claim anything from the undiscerning.

I read his biography in my teenage years and he was most likely Bini.

The main reference to anything relating to Igbo was that he said he was from a place called Eboe.

[b]Is there any place in Igbo land called Eboe?

Now, I may accept that the term Eboe is a convoluted form of a place like maybe Ebor, or something similar in Ijaw language.

Olaudah Equiano was not igbo. [/b]
You deserve better flogging. You don't know that the Igbo people were referred to as eboes in pre and even post colonial European documents.
And you are here talking about who is Igbo and who is not.

4 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by mercyville: 2:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:
What of Equiano
Eku ano...Thanks for yesterday

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
mercyville:

Eku ano...Thanks for yesterday
Ok.
But Yoruba land has never been referred to as "Eboe" territory.

"in one of the most remote and fertile of which, called Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745, in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. "

---- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, page 2

Igbo amaka grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 2:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:

A man who called himself igbo and rightfully so. On that same Wikipedia you quote, check out the list of prominent Igbo and you'll find Equano among the names

Okay sir. Whatever suits your boat.

Same way you guys claimed Jews for eons..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaudah_Equiano#Freedom

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 2:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Look at how they’re trying to deny this man his Igbo heritage, of which he was extremely proud of, just because of hatred and bigotry towards Ndigbo. I hope that our Igbo brethren in the South-East, the South-South and Benue State are watching closely undecided.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Look at how they’re trying to deny this man his Igbo heritage, of which he was extremely proud of, just because of hatred and bigotry towards Ndigbo. I hope that our Igbo brethren in the South-East, the South-South and Benue State are watching closely undecided.
That is how Igbo-phobia prolonged the slave trade for 400+ years.

Afonja is yet to learn that mumuism is bad for the health.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by timsTNA: 2:27pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Okay sir. Whatever suits your boat.

Same way you guys claimed Jews for eons..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaudah_Equiano#Freedom

Even the white man recognized the similarities between the Igbo culture and Judaism, which is the culture of the Jews. Read the post above your post for further enlightenment as excerpts from a colonial book states clearly

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 2:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:

Even the white man recognized the similarities between the Igbo culture and Judaism, which is the culture of the Jews. Read the post above your post for further enlightenment as excerpts from a colonial book states clearly

Thanks.

This is what i found out from my research.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/08/07/new-dna-test-result-reveals-igbos-jews/

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Daeylar(f): 2:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

So anyone that has a contrary view to yours automatically hates igbos? What kind of sick mindset is this? Am glad for this topic as it boils down to one other topic you and i had some time ago.

So, i ask, are igbos from the ancient benin kingdom? Because according to the narrative of Olaudah Equiano whom you say is igbo, his village was in the benin kingdom.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by timsTNA: 2:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Thanks.

This is what i found out from my research.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/08/07/new-dna-test-result-reveals-igbos-jews/

You can try to shift attention from the topic all day, however the fact remains.
Equano said it himself that he was Igbo. He talked about the Igbo culture in his early life in Africa. Heentioned the Igbo calendar format and the rest is history
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

So anyone that has a contrary view to yours automatically hates igbos? What kind of sick mindset is this? Am glad for this topic as it boils down to one other topic you and i had some time ago.

So, i ask, are igbos from the ancient benin kingdom? Because according to the narrative of Olaudah Equiano whom you say is igbo, his village was in the benin kingdom.

It’s not just a contrary view, it’s a completely incorrect one and if you tried to be objective then you’d see that this outlandish claim is born out of that poster’s agenda- an anti-Igbo agenda, might I add.

Of course there are Igbos who once lived under the rule of the Benin Empire, my ancestors were among them, but this does not mean that they were from Benin. Nigeria was once under the British Empire, does that automatically make you and your ancestors British?

4 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 2:46pm On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:

You can try to shift attention from the topic all day, however the fact remains.
Equano said it himself that he was Igbo. He talked about the Igbo culture in his early life in Africa. Heentioned the Igbo calendar format and the rest is history

You guys are the ones shifting attention. You claim igbos are Jews another here claims igbos are hebrews.

Now, you claim Olaudah is Eboe because he mentioned Eboe but failed to acknowledge that he also mentioned that he was from Estako which was under the Acient Benin Kingdom.

So i want to ask because i had this discussion before on NL in the past.

Are igbos from the acient benin kingdom if truly Olaudah is Igbo? I await your answer.

Here is a Narrative of the Life of Olaudah;
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Interesting_Narrative_of_the_Life_of_Olaudah_Equiano,_or_Gustavus_Vassa,_the_African/Chapter_1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TEYA: 2:49pm On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Your muslim anti-Igbo ewedu-dripping mouth can cry to Allah 100 times the truth remains that Olaudah in his book made it very clear he is Eboe (Igbo) without leaving a shred of doubt, he only passed through benin enroute to slavery. We know you this but can't live with the fact that the great Igbo man is being celebrated globally due to your prehistoric envy. Pls die if you want to. cheesy cheesy

Fact number 1.
He translated his name Ikwuano (Equiano) Olaudah (which mean loud voice in Igbo). What does Olaudah mean in Edo or yoruba (as you would like to claim by extension)?

Fact 2
He mentioned 'Esseke' which is a town actually spelt Iseke in Ihiala local government area Anambra of today. I am from Ihiala and today a 45 minute drive from Ihiala will get you into the region that was the old benin empire. You see the proximity? grin

Fact 3
In his book, he mentioned our Igbo for market days as 'Oye' (Orie) 'Ukwo' (Nkwo) 'Ah-for' (Afor) 'Ekeh' (Eke). Where does benin come in here?

Cry till you die, grit your muslim teeth till you quench with hate. Everyone knows Olaudah remain IGBO as every true historian knows. Bitter pill for you right? grin

WHO TOLD THIS GOAT THAT I AM A MUSLIM?

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by timsTNA: 2:50pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

You guys are the ones shifting attention. You claim igbos are Jews another here claims igbos are hebrews.

Now, you claim Olaudah is Eboe because he mentioned Eboe but failed to acknowledge that he also mentioned that he was from Estako which was under the Acient Benin Kingdom.

So i want to ask because i had this discussion before on NL in the past.

Are igbos from the acient benin kingdom if truly Olaudah is Igbo? I await your answer.

Here is a Narrative of the Life of Olaudah;
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Interesting_Narrative_of_the_Life_of_Olaudah_Equiano,_or_Gustavus_Vassa,_the_African/Chapter_1

Jews/ Hebrews are used to refer to the same people. What does Equano(Ikwano) mean in Benin? It means loud voice in Igbo. What does afor, orie, nkwo mean in Benin? It means the calendar format of the Igbo as he rightly stated in his book. In his book, theman paints Igbo culture, even as well as Chinua Achebe did in things fall apart. But i guess you will stick to being half wise in this debate

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 2:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

It’s not just a contrary view, it’s a completely incorrect one and if you tried to be objective then you’d see that this outlandish claim is born out of that poster’s agenda- an anti-Igbo agenda, might I add.

Of course there are Igbos who once lived under the rule of the Benin Empire, my ancestors were among them, but this does not mean that they were from Benin. Nigeria was once under the British Empire, does that automatically make you and your ancestors British?

I posted an objective view but as usual, you guys are quick to judge those who have contrary views as anti-igbo...I am glad you know me very well and know how i even supported kanu and still support him but that doesnt mean i wont call a spade a spade.

Now, a lot of tribes were under the rule of the Benin kingdom like Isokos, uhrobo, Itsekiris and even the igbos ( many igbos will disagree)

I have gone through the narratives of Olaudah which shows that he was born in Etsako which was one of the provinces of the Benin kingdom...Etsako is not an igbo town then neither is it today. So how can someone who claims to be from estako village be igbo? Thats my point.

I am totally against people coming online to claim something that is not verified just like one claiming igbos are jews despite the jews have come out with a DNA result saying otherwise.

Seriously all these claims are so uncalled for.

Here is a narrative by Olaudah..Happy reading;

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 2:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
[quote author=DabuIIIT post=61472061][/quote] mumuism lmao

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:

Jews/ Hebrews are used to refer to the same people. What does Equano(Ikwano) mean in Benin? It means loud voice in Igbo. What does afor, orie, nkwo mean in Benin? It means the calendar format of the Igbo as he rightly stated in his book. In his book, theman paints Igbo culture, even as well as Chinua Achebe did in things fall apart. But i guess you will stick to being half wise in this debate

Thanks, however,

Which state is Estako , Olaudah's home town located?
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

I posted an objective view but as usual, you guys are quick to judge those who have contrary views as anti-igbo...I am glad you know me very well and know how i even supported kanu and still support him but that doesnt mean i wont call a spade a spade.

Now, a lot of tribes were under the rule of the Benin kingdom like Isokos, uhrobo, Itsekiris and even the igbos ( many igbos will disagree)

I have gone through the narratives of Olaudah which shows that he was born in Etsako which was one of the provinces of the Benin kingdom...Etsako is not an igbo town then neither is it today. So how can someone who claims to be from estako village be igbo? Thats my point.

I am totally against people coming online to claim something that is not verified just like one claiming igbos are jews despite the jews have come out with a DNA result saying otherwise.

Seriously all these claims are so uncalled for.

Here is a narrative by Olaudah..Happy reading;

I don’t and have never considered Wikipedia a reliable source and would not expect any educated person to do so either. There’s proof that Olaudah spoke Igbo, he made numerous comments about Igbo culture, not Bini culture and even claimed that he was an Igbo man. You can find this in the book he wrote.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by timsTNA: 3:10pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Thanks, however,

Which state is Estako , Olaudah's home town located?

Ngozi123 already answered this question
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rufychuks: 3:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
The screenshots from his handwritten autobiography should quell all arguments about this

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by bibe(m): 3:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
comos:

Is it possible for an Educated man at that era to write the word Igbo as Eboe

consult wikipedia for his authentic story and stop twisting history

English writers have always used Eboe, Iboe or Ibo for Igbo due to linguistic differences.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 3:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

I don’t and have never considered Wikipedia a reliable source and would not expect any educated person to do so either. There’s proof that Olaudah spoke Igbo, he made numerous comments about Igbo culture, not Bini culture and even claimed that he was an Igbo man. You can find this in the book he wrote.

Speaking igbo does not make one igbo. I have igbo friends that can speak hausa. Does that make them Hausas?

Also, since you never considered wikipedia a reliable source, why dont you post a reliable source that gave a detailed narration in chapters (not summary) of the life of Olaudah Equino? I will be ever ready to go through it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 3:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
timsTNA:

Ngozi123 already answered this question

So you are saying that Olaudah is an Igbo man from Estako which is a village in Edo state, a non-igbo state right?

Do you also agree that igbos were under the rule of the Benin Empire and migrated out of Benin? Yes or no

I need your answers to these questions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rufychuks: 3:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
The screenshots from his handwritten autobiography should quell all arguments about this.

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Speaking igbo does not make one igbo. I have igbo friends that can speak hausa. Does that make them Hausas?

Also, since you never considered wikipedia a reliable source, why dont you post a reliable source that gave a detailed narration in chapters (not summary) of the life of Olaudah Equino? I will be ever ready to go through it.

Please stop hating on Mazi Olauda Ikwuano with your disorganized argumentation.

Igbo amaka grin grin

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rufychuks: 3:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
This is the second part

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
rufychuks:
The screenshots from his handwritten autobiography should quell all arguments about this.

This narration in this picture is similar to what is on https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Interesting_Narrative_of_the_Life_of_Olaudah_Equiano,_or_Gustavus_Vassa,_the_African/Chapter_1 which ngozi123 considers a non-reliable source

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Who Will Rule Lagos Come May 2007? / Photo-otuoke Gets Ready To Receive Jonathan In ‘home Of Goodluck’ / Throwback Pictures Of Tinubu At The CCT Trials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.