Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,202 members, 7,860,308 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:15 AM

If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? (1364 Views)

People That Will Feel The Additional 14 Days Lockdown By The President / Aisha Buhari: Call Me 'First Lady' Not 'Wife Of The President' / Curvy "Buharists" Show Their Support For The President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by slex(m): 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigpicture001:
..that we'll and rightly said sir..but bettering electricity has been a very big torn in the flesh of nigeria as a country...even the almighty fashola finds difficulty in that field...there are three majo aspect of this operation ; the generation, distribution and marketing..even if we can deal with the generation of large portion of electricity...it would cost an equally huge amount of mony distributing such across the country.. and with a fast dwindling foreign reserve..nigeria's bargaining power for international loan dwindles also..so the mony to fund the project becomes serious issue. on marketing. and with the rampant bypassing of even the fool proof electronic meter..it becomes difficult for the electrical marketers e.g DISCOS to generate enuf fund to offset the cost of acquisition of electricity..that on its own will make the suppliers stop it's supply...........on the issue of of NASS and thier bogus payment..how do u get dem to reduce dia own pay...knowing it takes them to do harm to themselves..thats difficult mr. president...on the issue of improving production...production is better improve in a situation. where there is massive capital available..niw the amount of capital required to attained this massive rise im.production is nit available in nigeria..yes..foreign investment..that would work also..because of the lack of adequate market for the goods produced.an investor would rather go to countries where there effective bigness incentives like a country which allow. high. capital flight.and would justice system is up ryt...

The truth be told sir corruption is the leech of our power sector and political will also comes into play here. Nigeria should have 24 hrs electricity by now but those entrusted with that responsibility prefer to enrich themselves and put the masses in pains.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 6:57pm On Oct 18, 2017
slex:

The truth be told sir corruption is the leech of our power sector and political will also comes into play here. Nigeria should have 24 hrs electricity by now but those entrusted with that responsibility prefer to enrich themselves and put the masses in pains.
...even fashola with his pedigree for performance is also enriching himself..?
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by slex(m): 7:06pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigpicture001:
...even fashola with his pedigree for performance is also enriching himself..?

Do you REALLY believe that Fashola is not diverting money ?? Really? Even though I have no proof but what is his reason for the sudden blackouts we see nowadays?
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by slex(m): 7:08pm On Oct 18, 2017
slex:

Do you REALLY believe that Fashola is not diverting money ?? Really? Even though I have no proof but what is his reason for the sudden blackouts we see nowadays?

Even though there was a period we were enjoying steady power supply but is it bad if we have minimum of 14-16hrs of electricity everyday for 365 days?? I love my country despite all what is happening. I was born here so that alone makes me owe this country because I grew up here, schooled here and live here.

Our loan bargaining power is not what it used to be I agree and it would be unfair of me to blame Fashola alone because this issue did not start with him. I'm just sad at all this to be honest.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 7:27pm On Oct 18, 2017
SalamRushdie:
I ; electricity
2: Security (Kidnapping and Herdsmen topping the agenda)

3 Improved Federal Road Network

4: enable a vision that will make every region sustainable and wealth creators in the next ten years

5: Develope a comparative advantage scheme for the country

6: Support Nigerian owned businesses with Tax cuts

7 : Allow laisez Faire practices decide our Balance of Trade based on best comparative advantage practices

8: Change the Primary school education curriculum from one that encourages unhealthy competition to one that aids great character and honesty building because Nigerian are too dishonest
......yes sir there exist a great need and urgency to fix our inter state roads..but with a fast dwindling national revenue resulting from the drop in the price of crude..our hands are tied in your government as to the extend by which massive infrastructure uplifting can be carried out..and with a general outcry in the country against foreign loans..how do we maintain your popularity with the masses if you dont build these roads nor borrow..thts a problem...on issue of tax cut for to grow nigerian own firms...if these is done sir..other foreign own firm.located in the country will pack up and leave because of uneven ground for biz..making our country a hostile ground for foreign. investment..that will not send a good msg to the international community..on the change of pupils curriculum to moral boosting education..if that is focused much on..then the period of primary skl education would have to be elongated since the basic for primary education still has to be taught ; to read and write..if we try to build an industry where we have a lot of comparative advantage over many others..the only one I can think of now as ur economic adviser are in the oil sector..andbecause we didn't take that advantage on time since oil was first discover d and allow oil to be equally discovered and now commercially exported by our neighbours..couoked with the fact that the world is bracing up for a shift to other firms of energy..i don't see how such advantage can be carved out any more..so sir..otherwise,u could educate me more on what you have in mind...on the balance of trade issue..i don't know who so like's our products so much that it proffers to import them so much as to improve our bal of payment aside oil...

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by SalamRushdie: 7:33pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigpicture001:
......yes sir there exist a great need and urgency to fix our inter state roads..but with a fast dwindling national revenue resulting from the drop in the price of crude..our hands are tied in your government as to the extend by which massive infrastructure uplifting can be carried out..and with a general outcry in the country against foreign loans..how do we maintain your popularity with the masses if you dont build these roads nor borrow..thts a problem...on issue of tax cut for to grow nigerian own firms...if these is done sir..other foreign own firm.located in the country will pack up and leave because of uneven ground for biz..making our country a hostile ground for foreign. investment..that will not send a good msg to the international community..on the change of pupils curriculum to moral boosting education..if that is focused much on..then the period of primary skl education would have to be elongated since the basic for primary education still has to be taught ; to read and write..if we try to build an industry where we have a lot of comparative advantage over many others..the only one I can think of now as ur economic adviser are in the oil sector..andbecause we didn't take that advantage on time since oil was first discover d and allow oil to be equally discovered and now commercially exported by our neighbours..couoked with the fact that the world is bracing up for a shift to other firms of energy..i don't see how such advantage can be carved out any more..so sir..otherwise,u could educate me more on what you have in mind...on the balance of trade issue..i don't know who so like's our products so much that it proffers to import them so much as to improve our bal of payment aside oil...

You have made alot of sense and I can tell you are very sensible character but unfortunately I know the govt of Buhari can never deliver and things will only get worse and more uncertain as long as he mans that seat.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 8:54pm On Oct 18, 2017
Marcelo290:
If I become the President, the first thing I would do is to project the amendment of that thing we call constitution, that's the genesis of our problems.

As a developing African country, we spend too much on frivolities. There is need to cut down the salaries of our senators and the presidency. Education and health would make up about 40% of the budget. We would build capital projects that would help create jobs because we have the work force, I would revive our oil and construction companies especially Ajaokuta steel industry so we could manufacturer our products. All these would help grow our economy.

As someone who is vast in political economy, we would work on our service and manufacturing industries, So we won't depend always on Primary resources like Oil. I support restructuring, my own definition is giving more powers to the states, remember what necessitated the creation of states? many were crying that they weren't carried along, mostly minorities. so going back to regionalism would still bring about an outcry as government is more closer to the people now than before.

I would employ technocrats who are learned in their various fields. appointments would be devoid of bigotry, tribalism and ethnicity.

I would strengthen the fight against corruption and make the courts independent of the federal government. Anybody who would lead us to the promised land must have a good and sound knowledge of history as to know where we came from, with foresight of where we are going to, I think I have these two important attributes.

I have too many plans for this country that if I decide to execute all the plans I have, I fear I may be killed before my time by corrupt politicians and saboteurs because I can't do the aforementioned alone, nevertheless I still keep the dream and hope alive.

Gracias
...your plans are some of the best Av read so far...but sir,..how do you think the political parties that installed you would react if thier political nominees for positions are ignored in favour of some technocrats who played next to nothing roles in bringing you to power...again you wish to spend 40percent of the national budget on education and health care..how exactly..buikd more hospitals which will bring along with it a big backlog of salaries..the best hospitals abroad are big private hospitals...which part of the skl system will you invest into in education...primary,secondary,or varsity system...on the issue of restructuring..if states are handed thier resources, don't you think the fed government who has a bigger role to play like national security, police payment, hosting international meetings, etc will b weak and unattractive and hence the stronger states boosted by thier new found autonomy would eventually seek to break away cause of self sufficiency?..sir..do you still want to carry on with all these your listed plans...?
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 9:35am On Oct 19, 2017
Mallamkay001:
employment and education
..sir how exactly do you improve these two...build more hospitals..employ more doctors...if you must know sir..hospital availability is not the problem in urban areas..the rural areas are too far from hospitals..and still most doctors will not want to work there..how do you get to stop massive capital flight on nigeria's medical tourism...hoe do you get the massive population of northern destitute children to embrace education knowing the implications to thier religious beliefs...
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 12:47pm On Oct 19, 2017
virud:
Power
Even if its the only achievement anyone can boast of after one term in office, its basically enough. It will solve 50% of our national woes.

Equitable Distribution of Revenues Accruing from The Nations Natural Resources
1 -Communities, LGA's, States and/or regions would be given full resource control.
2 -Governments at the center would play administrative roles while resource owners must play functional [/i]roles.
3- Resource owners must remit some (review-able) percentage of their income to the center.

Constitution Amendment
[i]Key Highlights.

Discard the Senate.
Downward review of allowances and emoluments etc of members of house of rep.
INEC Chairman must not be appointed by the President. Its political parties that ought to appoint INEC Chairpersons and RECs.
Life ban from politics and jail terms for any convicted public / elected official.

National Merit Board
Discard the federal character commission act and replace it with a 'National Merit Board' whose job would be to select technocrats into key government agencies. The best legs gets the job irrespective of every other considerations.

..thats a gud list of achievable plans by you...but there are some issues which I still need you to clarify..such as..the scrapping of the senate..dont you think if that is done..that you as the president would be tilting toward the reign of absolute power..and you would be without checks and balances..? again if resources are totally handed over to be managed and owned by state where it is located..then some state will be richer than the federal..also, with the federal having more responsibility ; how does he fund them,since you said only small will be given to the center...
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2017
virud:
Power
Even if its the only achievement anyone can boast of after one term in office, its basically enough. It will solve 50% of our national woes.

Equitable Distribution of Revenues Accruing from The Nations Natural Resources
1 -Communities, LGA's, States and/or regions would be given full resource control.
2 -Governments at the center would play administrative roles while resource owners must play functional [/i]roles.
3- Resource owners must remit some (review-able) percentage of their income to the center.

Constitution Amendment
[i]Key Highlights.

Discard the Senate.
Downward review of allowances and emoluments etc of members of house of rep.
INEC Chairman must not be appointed by the President. Its political parties that ought to appoint INEC Chairpersons and RECs.
Life ban from politics and jail terms for any convicted public / elected official.

National Merit Board
Discard the federal character commission act and replace it with a 'National Merit Board' whose job would be to select technocrats into key government agencies. The best legs gets the job irrespective of every other considerations.

...on the issue of replacing meridian over federal character...suppose the persons who always merited your appointments keep coming from only one region of the country..would you continue to giv them the jobs..dont you think it will result to resentment among the marginalised populist.. and then you would be voted out in the next election..?
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 7:20am On Oct 20, 2017
.. now it is becoming clearer that being the president is a much difficult job than working in the banks or oil indutries...
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by virud: 11:07am On Oct 21, 2017
bigpicture001:
..thats a gud list of achievable plans by you...but there are some issues which I still need you to clarify..such as..the scrapping of the senate..dont you think if that is done..that you as the president would be tilting toward the reign of absolute power..and you would be without checks and balances..? again if resources are totally handed over to be managed and owned by state where it is located..then some state will be richer than the federal..also, with the federal having more responsibility ; how does he fund them,since you said only small will be given to the center...

Absolute power? In what sense? Devolution of federal power to state/regions would do the magic. With power comes responsibilities. If the states/regions are directly responsible for and of their resources, then they would be equally responsible for their internal and external developments, like building of low cost housing estates, construction of roads, power generation and distribution etc.

Now the Senate, frankly, the House of Rep' can actually do whatever it is that the Senate is doing. The House of Rep will provide the checks and balances without the unnecessary duplication of the Senate. 'Tilting toward absolute the reign of absolute power' as you opined does not hold any water.

On States / regions being richer than the Federal. That can be easily sorted out via "taxation".
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by virud: 11:09am On Oct 21, 2017
bigpicture001:
...on the issue of replacing meridian over federal character...suppose the persons who always merited your appointments keep coming from only one region of the country..would you continue to giv them the jobs..dont you think it will result to resentment among the marginalised populist.. and then you would be voted out in the next election..?

With time people will find the advantage in a merit based society.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by bigpicture001: 2:37pm On Oct 21, 2017
virud:

With time people will find the advantage in a merit based society.
..merit based society will be very difficult to practice in nigeria..reason,because the society is not made of the same people..it was tried in Liberia and resulted to the country's deadliest war...the high connected, educated and rich minority people who migrated from the Americas...they ruled for a long time. and the country was better for it..til the locals got tired and fought bak
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by virud: 2:57pm On Oct 21, 2017
bigpicture001:
..merit based society will be very difficult to practice in nigeria..reason,because the society is not made of the same people..it was tried in Liberia and resulted to the country's deadliest war...the high connected, educated and rich minority people who migrated from the Americas...they ruled for a long time. and the country was better for it..til the locals got tired and fought bak

Its not really a function of 'being ruled by a particular set of people'. It all boils down the dividends of the ruling by the ruled. And of course, every system , the world over is subject to manipulation, hence, the goal in any system is to reduce the level of internal / external influence to the barest minimum and not to deny the existence of internal / external influence.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria ;what Will Be Your Priority..? by DonBobes(m): 4:25pm On Oct 21, 2017
1-Love your country
2- punctuality
3- discipling

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of 7 Forces Atiku Must Overcome To Contest In 2019 / Herdsmen Crisis: FG Defines Cattle Colony… Benue Govt Rejects Idea / Breaking News: Multi Choice, DSTV/GOTV To Shut Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.