Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,912 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help (4882 Views)

Please, Help A Jobless First Class Graduate. / Stephen Soleye, 21-Year-Old First Class Graduate Gets New Job With Rolls Royce / Jobless First Class Graduate Gets Instant Employment After PREMIUM TIMES Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by Gerrard59(m): 3:20am On Oct 22, 2017
baum1:

I don't know why people are harsh to first class people? I have asked Jarus this question many times. Why do people lose cool and use anything to talk-down first class people. Sad

Everyone wants it, unfortunately not everyone will get it. So to console themselves, they denigrate the achievement. Same way people accuse people who buy luxury products of vanity. Whereas this is something that requires hard work, determination and perseverance. I always respect anyone who has a First Class, whatever the school or discipline.

However, the lack of information on the side of most intellectuals to advance themselves career and education wise further adds to the denigration. For instance, I was told of a first class graduate of Mathematics from Unical opening a provision shop from his proceeds of a scholarship he won while in school shocked. When others see such, they further denigrate the achievement. What Mr Tunde needs is information (quality one) and everything will be OK.

I'm even surprised that as someone from the south west, you're asking this question. I expected it from someone who finished from schools East of the Niger (dem Unical, Uniuyo, Uniport, AKSU, IMSU, RSUST etc). I have a friend who finished with a First Class from Unilag, same discipline as OP, and will soon write her GRE exams (targets above 320), same lass has applied to Accenture. However, there was another who finished still with a First from Uniport, but didn't know what GRE is all about until the Unilag lass elucidated everything about it. Information is powerful!

It's also important to note that not everyone will become an entrepreneur or employee. The way persons on social media seem to recommend entrepreneurship to every grad is worrisome. Operating a business goes beyond buying and selling (what most entrepreneurial advocates do), it requires capital, tenacity, idea etc. Some persons will love to have their enterprise, but after working for some years. Not graduating and starting something, just like that?? Everyone is not the same, unfortunately most Nigerians don't understand this fact! People should be given the support to pursue their dreams as long as they don't commit a crime.

cc: Tunemike.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by baum1: 4:18am On Oct 22, 2017
Gerrard59:

Everyone wants it, unfortunately not everyone will get it. So to console themselves, they denigrate the achievement. Same way people accuse people who buy luxury products of vanity. Whereas this is something that requires hard work, determination and perseverance. I always respect anyone who has a First Class, whatever the school or discipline.

However, the lack of information on the side of most intellectuals to advance themselves career and education wise further adds to the denigration. For instance, I was told of a first class graduate of Mathematics from Unical opening a provision shop from his proceeds of a scholarship he won while in school shocked. When others see such, they further denigrate the achievement. What Mr Tunde needs is information (quality one) and everything will be OK.

I'm even surprised that as someone from the south west, you're asking this question. I expected it from someone who finished from schools East of the Niger (dem Unical, Uniuyo, Uniport, AKSU, IMSU, RSUST etc). I have a friend who finished with a First Class from Unilag, same discipline as OP, and will soon write her GRE exams (targets above 320), same lass has applied to Accenture. However, there was another who finished still with a First from Uniport, but didn't know what GRE is all about until the Unilag lass elucidated everything about it. Information is powerful!

It's also important to note that not everyone will become an entrepreneur or employee. The way persons on social media seem to recommend entrepreneurship to every grad is worrisome. Operating a business goes beyond buying and selling (what most entrepreneurial advocates do), it requires capital, tenacity, idea etc. Some persons will love to have their enterprise, but after working for some years. Not graduating and starting something, just like that?? Everyone is not the same, unfortunately most Nigerians don't understand this fact! People should be given the support to pursue their dreams as long as they don't commit a crime.

cc: Tunemike.

Thanks, very well written response to my answer. Information indeed is power. I agree that our people from the south-west are at an advantage when it comes to having the right info...Those from far away East or north might find things a little more difficult. Hopefully, we are getting to the era of information convergence, where most people will have access to the same info.

First class is not easy. It's unfortunate some people diss what they haven't or can't achieve. I think it's done to salvage a wounded ego. What I tell people is that there are other ways to prove oneself if one didn't make undergrad first class. Our firm recently hired someone from nairaland here. This person isn't a first class, not even 2:1, but we have been impressed by the quality of work the person produces. I think people can build up themselves and become productive. It is something they ower themselves. One day, opportunity will come.

As for being an entrepreneur, surely the concept of equilibrium is not clear to many..Everybody can't be an entrepreneur, otherwise, the disequilibrium we have in the world will widen even further..In fact, I argue that the limit of everyone turning to an entrepreneur would accelerate the shrinkage in productivity. Advanced climes know this, that's why unemployment data and wage growth are some of the most watched metrics in those places.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by jaychubi: 7:09am On Oct 22, 2017
Prec1ous:
How will you have first class and still be looking for job.

The knowledge from the First Class is meant to be utilized and exploited.

So are you telling me now that you will work as a..
Sales manager or rep
Customer care agent
Office attendant.

You obviously did not deserve that class, LA cram LA pour.

Go and do graduate assistant!

Or now that you have the advantage, leave this country on scholarships. Check here...

https://www.nairaland.com/2845395/nairaland-official-scholarships-thread-degree/8#59389869

Lol most If not all Nigerian first class graduates know next to nothing about the practical aspect of their Courses they are jst excellent in cramming theories. Every yr Nigerian universities produce over 5000 first class graduates but have u ever heard abt any invention/discovery made by any of them d answer is capital No.

We need first class inventors like Facebook owner, ppl who are creative, not some useless first class crammer. I believe d problem is with our educational system BC even Profs are nt left out BC from nursery sch we start cramming all manner of things dt have no bearing to real life. Our educational system and its products have failed the society recently

1 Like

Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by hydee123(m): 8:46am On Oct 22, 2017
jaychubi:

Lol most If not all Nigerian first class graduates know next to nothing about the practical aspect of their Courses they are jst excellent in cramming theories. Every yr Nigerian universities produce over 5000 first class graduates but have u ever heard abt any invention/discovery made by any of them d answer is capital No.

We need first class inventors like Facebook owner, ppl who are creative, not some useless first class crammer. I believe d problem is with our educational system BC even Profs are nt left out BC from nursery sch we start cramming all manner of things dt have to bearing to real life

So cramming is easy right, i think you need to change your thinking that its only first class graduates need to be an inventors. is facebook owner a first class graduate?
when you are talking about practical aspect, that is our Educational system not their fault get, your fact right.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by obyrich(m): 11:08am On Oct 22, 2017
jaychubi:

We need first class inventors like Facebook owner, ppl who are creative, not some useless first class crammer. I believe d problem is with our educational system BC even Profs are nt left out BC from nursery sch we start cramming all manner of things dt have to bearing to real life
Have you asked why many Nigerians who graduated from good universities in Europe, Asia and America are among those queuing up for jobs? What do you say when you see a white guy carrying placards like 'Hire me, I made a first class in Economics'?

You clearly do not understand the issue of unemployment.

1 Like

Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by jaychubi: 11:20am On Oct 22, 2017
hydee123:

So cramming is easy right, i think you need to change your thinking that its only first class graduates need to be an inventors. is facebook owner a first class graduate?
when you are talking about practical aspect, that is our Educational system not their fault get, your fact right.

Our graduates (esp first class) are very non-creative n totally useless n they come out with a sense of entitlement ie I ve a good certificate n d4 I am entitled to a job. Let's get this straight cramming (memorizing) different books to graduate (esp with first class) when u are practically an idiot is useless to the world. Every yr we ve 1000s of first class physics n engineering graduates but we can't ve steady power supply.

After making first class u nw start looking for a creative secondary sch drop out to employ ur ass.

U ve to earn a living nobody owes anyone anything in life (first class, PhD , Prof or stark illiterates) dts d truth we must tell ourselves.

D days of go to school get good grades and work for multinational companies n earn fat salaries are over.

Today it is go to school learn a skill or profession n come out and practice what you learnt n earn a living
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by jaychubi: 11:27am On Oct 22, 2017
obyrich:
Have you asked why many Nigerians who graduated from good universities in Europe, Asia and America are among those queuing up for jobs? What do you say when you see a white guy carrying placards like 'Hire me, I made a first class in Economics'?

You clearly do not understand the issue of unemployment.

U have said nothing next time learn to shut up when u ve nothing to say than saying nonsense
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by obyrich(m): 11:36am On Oct 22, 2017
jaychubi:

U have said nothing next time learn to shut up when u ve nothing to say than saying nonsense
You sound hollow. Go and refill. Empty douchbags see no good in others. The instances cited were for you to get a mental picture but being the dundee you are, you ended up with insults. Scram. Quote me if you are really dumb.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by jaychubi: 11:56am On Oct 22, 2017
obyrich:
You sound hollow. Go and refill. Empty douchbags see no good in others. The instances cited were for you to get a mental picture but being the dundee you are, you ended up with insults. Scram. Quote me if you are really dumb.

Lol u have still not made any sense. By d way what do I even expect from a headless goat like u. Maggot stop embarrassing ur stupid self on a public forum. Olodo
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by obyrich(m): 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2017
jaychubi:

Lol l have still not made any sense. By d way what do you even expect from a headless goat like me. I am a Maggot. Please stop embarrassing my stupid self on a public forum. By Olodo nairalander
No wonder grin. Enjoy your new found status.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by lereinter(m): 2:04pm On Oct 22, 2017
tunemike:
I don't think my school has any plan for her first class graduates.

which sch be dat

but your anxiety is high yu never even finish service
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by tunemike(m): 10:46pm On Oct 23, 2017
lereinter:

which sch be dat

Olabisi Onabanjo University bro.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by tunemike(m): 10:54pm On Oct 23, 2017
I've read all the comments..and I am truely glad we still have good people with great minds and insight and are willing to share.
Concerning the GRE, I planned writing it.I've even gotten Barron's 2016 edition and looking forward to getting other GRE related textbooks. I just don't want to sit back at home after nysc.
Some ppl suggested I go for any IT course..but to be sincere, I don't think I have affinity for any but would rather do it for job acquisition sake.
I pray something comes up before Nov 2.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by tunemike(m): 11:08pm On Oct 23, 2017
baum1:

Thanks, very well written response to my answer. Information indeed is power. I agree that our people from the south-west are at an advantage when it comes to having the right info...Those from far away East or north might find things a little more difficult. Hopefully, we are getting to the era of information convergence, where most people will have access to the same info.

First class is not easy. It's unfortunate some people diss what they haven't or can't achieve. I think it's done to salvage a wounded ego. What I tell people is that there are other ways to prove oneself if one didn't make undergrad first class. Our firm recently hired someone from nairaland here. This person isn't a first class, not even 2:1, but we have been impressed by the quality of work the person produces. I think people can build up themselves and become productive. It is something they ower themselves. One day, opportunity will come.

As for being an entrepreneur, surely the concept of equilibrium is not clear to many..Everybody can't be an entrepreneur, otherwise, the disequilibrium we have in the world will widen even further..In fact, I argue that the limit of everyone turning to an entrepreneur would accelerate the shrinkage in productivity. Advanced climes know this, that's why unemployment data and wage growth are some of the most watched metrics in those places.

Bro I am telling you...C'est ne pas easy..lol.
I am not saying I am the best but I am glad I achieved my goal despite several discouragement from people. To say the truth, I pursued a first class to augment my chances of getting scholarships to study abroad. I've always wanted to experience more of science. So, Job and scholarship are the main items of my list.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by tunemike(m): 11:13pm On Oct 23, 2017
lereinter:

which sch be dat

Yoruba adage says.." A person that pours water ahead will walk on wet floor" So, I am clearing the way for people who have the capacity to help do so. And I am certain God will do it before Nov 2.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by tunemike(m): 11:34pm On Oct 23, 2017
jaychubi:

We need first class inventors like Facebook owner, ppl who are creative, not some useless first class crammer. I believe d problem is with our educational system BC even Profs are nt left out BC from nursery sch we start cramming all manner of things dt have no bearing to real life. Our educational system and its products have failed the society recently

Bro, I've been faced with this same question and I always reply with this.." Nigeria education system is like a Computer system. it can only give out result as "output" what you put in as "input". I read about a Nigerian who produces drones for the US army. Assuming the guy went to a Nigerian school, I don't think he would be able to couple a blade not to talk of making an invaluable, giant, functional, drone on which a whole nation depends on for its security operations.
Let's not be too swift in castigating first class graduates. If cramming is that easy, then we won't have second class grads. If their mind could cram a whole textbook given my a lecturer, then imagine what that same mind would achieve when engaged in practical approaches/ principles of an innovation with functioning equipments, state of the art facilities, and conducive learning atmosphere. yeah..not forgetting guided by excellent lecturers not complacent, adamant, exploitative lecturers.

I hope we will reach a consensus on this without animosity.

2 Likes

Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by lereinter(m): 8:39am On Oct 24, 2017
tunemike:

Olabisi Onabanjo University bro.
ogun state has more coy be hopeful

put your hope in God only
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by tunemike(m): 9:03am On Oct 24, 2017
lereinter:

ogun state has more coy be hopeful

put your hope in God only
Thanks bro.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by Gerrard59(m): 2:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
tunemike:
I've read all the comments..and I am truely glad we still have good people with great minds and insight and are willing to share.
Concerning the GRE, I planned writing it.I've even gotten Barron's 2016 edition and looking forward to getting other GRE related textbooks. I just don't want to sit back at home after nysc.
Some ppl suggested I go for any IT course..but to be sincere, I don't think I have affinity for any but would rather do it for job acquisition sake.
I pray something comes up before Nov 2.

Good one at the bolded.

Also, save up funds and purchase aptitude tests questions from Assessment Day.co.uk. Job tests IMO is the stumbling block for most newly grads. Another one: Don't rely on looking for Biochemistry related jobs, if you see PwC, KPMG, Zenith Bank job adverts, apply.

I'll also recommend you spend at least 1-2 days on Jarushub. I directed the Uniport lass to do same and she came testifying. Trust me, when you spend that period on Jarushub, your life won't be the same again.

tunemike:

Let's not be too swift in castigating first class graduates. If cramming is that easy, then we won't have second class grads. If their mind could cram a whole textbook given my a lecturer, then imagine what that same mind would achieve when engaged in practical approaches/ principles of an innovation with functioning equipments, state of the art facilities, and conducive learning atmosphere. yeah..not forgetting guided by excellent lecturers not complacent, adamant, exploitative lecturers.

I hope we will reach a consensus on this without animosity.

I don talk this thing tire online and offline. The environment needs to be conducive for science to flourish and watch us start winning Nobel prizes.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by tunemike(m): 4:03pm On Oct 24, 2017
Gerrard59:

Good one at the bolded.

Also, save up funds and purchase aptitude tests questions from Assessment Day.co.uk. Job tests IMO is the stumbling block for most newly grads. Another one: Don't rely on looking for Biochemistry related jobs, if you see PwC, KPMG, Zenith Bank job adverts, apply.

I'll also recommend you spend at least 1-2 days on Jarushub. I directed the Uniport lass to do same and she came testifying. Trust me, when you spend that period on Jarushub, your life won't be the same again.

I don talk this thing tire online and offline. The environment needs to be conducive for science to flourish and watch us start winning Nobel prizes.
I will do just that. Thanks bro.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by thesoj: 1:22am On Oct 28, 2017
@tunemike, since you are also considering a master's then I'd suggest you try to get accepted into a thesis-based MSc in Canada or the US. This should increase your probability of getting full funding.

Personally I'd suggest you focus on Canada for now. If you get high GRE scores, then also look into the US.

Start by going through the Nairaland Canada Student Visa threads and these links specifically:
https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8/28#34729512

https://www.nairaland.com/3649314/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/197#56305272

https://www.nairaland.com/3649314/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/58#54706122 (ignore the part about WES transcript evaluation)

Your CGPA is really high and if you play your cards right you should be able to get accepted into a thesis-based MSc with full funding. But it requires a willingness on your part to do a lot of painstaking work. Application for Fall next year are will be opening soon, so get started ASAP.

Also, please don't put all your eggs in one basket. Continue to look for jobs and maybe even applying to schools in Germany as well; tuition is free in Germany and many of their master's programs are taught in English. Go to the Nairaland German Student Visa thread to find out more.

Best of luck.
Re: A First Class Graduate Needs A Job. Please Help by thesoj: 5:38pm On Oct 28, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Action Against Hunger (ACF) International Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / Bar Supervisor, BARMEN, CLEANERS, AND WAITERS Needed In A Club / Key Distributor Needed At Unilever Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.