Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach (23199 Views)

COVID-19: 'They Have Abandoned Me' – Susan Okpe, Benue Index Case / Peru Diver Left With Swollen Body 'like Popeye' After His Air Supply Was Cut Off / I'm Still A Virgin But Have Swollen Tummy Like Fibroid- A Friend Seeks Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Ochinex(m): 7:14am On Oct 21, 2017
The sight of Justice Uzondu would certainly elicit instant reaction of perhaps shock, fear, pity or amazement. People with such looks are only imagined and captured in the make-belief world but Uzondu is living, struck with a strange ailment that would even make the stone-hearted shrink or break down with emotions.

The 62-year-old has a height that is slightly intimidating. But his height is insignificant; what would jolt anybody who sights Uzondu is his extraordinarily protruding stomach. It is big!

Lying helpless in a mat at a corner of his thatched home in his village in Umuonyeka-Umueze Ihitteaforukwu in Ahiazu Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State, the man looked helpless, hopeless and possibly, miserable. It was apparent Uzondu would be asking his God; why He allowed such condition to befall him.

He was once healthy, strong and even agile. His travails started eight years ago and since then, his state grew from hopeless to helpless.

While telling our correspondent the story of his life, Uzondu tried as much as he could to recount how he found himself in such a pathetic state.

According to him, his plight started eight years ago when he came home on holidays from Lagos where he was a driver.

He said, “I was a private driver for someone based in Lagos. I came home for holiday and I decided to climb my oil bean (ukwa) tree to harvest it.”

That was his undoing. If he had known, he probably wouldn’t have bothered the ukwa tree as just as he was about to harvest the oil bean, he fell from the tree.

“I broke my spinal cord. I couldn’t walk again. When I fell, I lost consciousness. I passed out but God revived me through the medical treatments I got. I had to be confined to a bed for two years.”

And as if that was not enough trouble, his stomach started getting big and bigger and bigger till it got to this unimaginable state.

But when it got to the stage where he couldn’t take it any longer, he sought medical attention in several hospitals where, according to him, he was diagnosed with having “accumulated fat” in his stomach.

“I have gone to so many hospitals, including National Hospital, Abuja where I was asked to do so many tests including a CT scan. It was the scan that revealed that I have accumulated fat. The doctors said it happened because I couldn’t walk and because I have been confined to a place for a long while. It was in Umuahia, Abia State that a group of Indian medical experts also carried out more tests.  They also said I was suffering from accumulated fats in my stomach which was brought about by the spinal cord injury that I sustained,” he said.

He even had to change his diet but it did not reduce the fat in his stomach.

“I had to stop eating fatty food. The doctors advised me to stop taking such food so as not to aggravate this condition. But nothing has changed. My stomach is this big. I am really disturbed,”  he said.

But even as the strange ailment was medically diagnosed, it didn’t stop friends and family from deserting Uzondu as people felt he must have committed one abomination or the other that eventually had him struck with this strange ailment.

Five years ago, Uzondu said his wife, Eucharia, who couldn’t stand the sight of him in that state, deserted him.

“My wife left me with our 10-year-old child. I couldn’t take care of our son because of my condition, so somebody had to take him to train him for me. My wife said she couldn’t continue living with me as she didn’t understand this kind of illness. She said she was tired of taking care of me. I have not seen her and I do not know where she is since she left me,” he said.

But for his niece, 24-year-old Blessing Uzondu, a student of Rufus Giwa, Polytechnic, Owo, Ondo State, Uzondu would have died of hunger.

He informed Saturday Punch that it has just been Blessing who comes around to take him to the hospitals and cook for him since his wife abandoned him.

“Blessing is in Year Two. She shuttles between home and Owo every other weekend to cook for me. She is just the only relative who comes close to me. I don’t know how she does it but she returns home from Owo just for me. I don’t know how to pay back and I don’t know why she loves me like this.

“When she comes home, she cooks plenty food that would last until she comes back next time. She makes sure that everything is in order, including my drugs before she leaves for school.”

And since Blessing comes home once a week, Uzondu said he is just able have a bath once a week, at least when his niece helps him to clean his body.

“There is no other person to help. I just manage to have my bath once a week, when Blessing is around. If she goes, that means I will not bathe until she comes back,” he said.

Aside from the emotional and psychological pains he has had in the last eight years, Uzondu said the physical pain is more excruciating and exasperating.

“I have endured excruciating pains and trauma for years. I experience loneliness. I have been stigmatised by everybody. People have abandoned me. My world has crumbled at my feet. I lost my job, I can’t even get another job and I don’t know when my condition will improve for the better.  I had spent my little savings on my medical expenses. To even eat now is problem because there is no money. I know I am hard working. If not for this condition, I would have been working. I only urge well meaning Nigerians to come to my aid and help me get out of this situation by contributing to my surgery,” he said.

Uzondu said so many people look at him with contempt and disdain.

“Nobody wants me to sit beside them in the vehicle anytime I have to board public transport for medication. They would accuse me of being the source of their troubles. It has been so painful. I remember during one of my trips to Lagos where I had also gone to seek medical attention, a man accused me of sleeping with another man’s wife. He said I brought curse upon myself because of the abomination and that’s why my stomach is this big.”

But Uzondu denied all the allegation and superstitions that have been attached to his condition, while claiming he is a staunch Christian.

“I haven’t done anything abominable. I have never slept with anybody’s wife. My case is a medical condition and it is nothing spiritual. I know I will get out of this one day,” he said.

Uzondu said he stays weeks without seeing any other soul. His companions are only the chickens and the lizards in the compound. Nobody comes to ask how he is faring or managing. He is just left alone to die.

“But I don’t want to die. The Indian doctors said for me to be cured, I would need around N6m for the operation in India. I don’t know how I can raise this. I don’t know what to do again.”

Uzondu said the doctors told him that he urgently needs to be operated upon otherwise he would lose his life.

“The medical experts told me that the N6m is for a medical surgery abroad, especially in India. The amount included the medical bills, my flight ticket and accommodation,” he said.

However, when Saturday Punch reached out to Dr. Ugochi Onuh of University of Nigeria Teaching Hosiptal, she advised that Uzondu should repeat the abdominal CT scan.

“There is no way I can make diagnosis based on mere photograph that you sent to me. However, his saying that CT scan said this is accumulation of fat is very questionable and none of the radiologists I showed the picture agreed to its possibility. I also think it is unlikely that the stomach issue is related to the fall he had. The fall should affect the back and not his stomach. If he had a fracture for his age,  no matter the height he fell from, then we could look out for malignancis that could make the spine to be fragile. even in children, recovering from spinal cord injury is very  slim, let alone an adult.

“For a man his age, having what is medically called Egg on Stick appearance is top on the list of differential diagnosis. He could also be suffering from Abdominal Lymphomia or endomyocardial fibrosis or decompensated liver cirrhosis with or without malignant transformation. It is essential he repeats the abdominal CT scan. Otherwise, I would also advise he should go and do an ultrasound so that he would have something more concrete.”  she said.

Nigerians who wish to help could send their donations to Account number 3084321816, First Bank, Ohanaga Chidera Prince.

Source: http://punchng.com/people-including-my-wife-have-abandoned-me-man-down-with-swollen-stomach/?

1 Share

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Fxmanager(m): 7:28am On Oct 21, 2017
Okay.
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Lordave: 7:30am On Oct 21, 2017
Pathetic, what religion has done to us is fast becoming incurable.

Even Jesus Christ dined with all manner of people but here family and friends have abandoned this man, his pastor doesn't even bother about him. At this stage, his pastor and church should be the ones looking after him(if he attended church).

Wish you quick recovery.
More good fortunes to your niece.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by hopyroll(m): 7:54am On Oct 21, 2017
That's life for you man

1 Like

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by IAMSASHY(f): 7:54am On Oct 21, 2017
undecided alot of pple ar suffering out dere wt no one 2 care for dem, even familiar hv abandoned dem bt d wealthy ones ar so busy gvin expensive gifts 2 dia fellow rich, Wats d essence of pouring water in2 d sea, if u hv much, extend ur help 2 d poor, stop gvin 2 d pple in ur level. D money ROACHIES OKOROCHA used 4 a useless statue wud hv improved dis man's health. Wen dey hv headache, dey fly abroad bt cn neva reach out 2 dose in rural areas suffering

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by rawpadgin(m): 7:55am On Oct 21, 2017
God in his infinite mercy will grant you healing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by kay29000(m): 7:56am On Oct 21, 2017
God bless that his niece that has been taking care of him after his wife ran away.

13 Likes

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by saraki2019(m): 7:56am On Oct 21, 2017
his pastor abandon his probabaly because he is incapacitated and can no longer pay any tithe.
May God help our society.
Amen

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by marvin902(m): 7:56am On Oct 21, 2017
really sad right now cry cry
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Lalas247(f): 7:56am On Oct 21, 2017
Why abandon him... so sad
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 21, 2017
Nawa o
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by onajison(m): 7:57am On Oct 21, 2017
Eaya
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Pidginwhisper: 7:57am On Oct 21, 2017
cry
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by justi4jesu(f): 7:58am On Oct 21, 2017
Sad sad sad sad Wish you quick recovery.
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by DIKEnaWAR: 7:59am On Oct 21, 2017
God will not abandon you.

6 Likes

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Titto93(m): 8:01am On Oct 21, 2017
It's a pity.
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by rattlesnake(m): 8:01am On Oct 21, 2017
Where are the biafra Fools that can't support this man and yet running after nnandi monkey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Edoi(m): 8:01am On Oct 21, 2017
May God heal u I J N Amen!
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by rattlesnake(m): 8:02am On Oct 21, 2017
Where is that coconut brain rochas when he's needed

1 Like

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by lonelydora: 8:02am On Oct 21, 2017
Reason i advice everyone to marry the heart and not the physical appearance.

Even his wife? Get well soon man. No picture?
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 21, 2017
saraki2019:
his pastor abandon his probabaly because he is incapacitated and can no longer pay any tithe.
May God help our society.
Amen

Smh.

What makes u sure he was ever paying tithe.

It is human nature to forsake a helpless person. It can be expected of humans, even one's parents and spouse can forsake them, only God bless I'll be very forsake His own.
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Jubilancy(f): 8:02am On Oct 21, 2017
U are healed because God Is ur healer

1 Like

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 21, 2017
God is with you.
If they abandon you, God won't.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Kimy97(f): 8:03am On Oct 21, 2017
Sad
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 21, 2017
shocked

A man who is hopeless,
A man who is helpless,
A man who is jobless,
A man who is even now wife-less,
A man who is also now more or less childless.

Hmmmm!

Life expectancy in current day Nigeria on the average is not more than 40yrs anymore. But this man has lived 62years already. At least that is an amazing achievement of long life.

However, he seems to be a coward!

There is need for him to end this unimaginable suffering. He has nothing to live for anymore.

His niece is a wicked soul. She is not doing him any good by attending to him. She is one of his problems.

He should be left alone to transcend into the world of the spirits.
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by darlenese(f): 8:05am On Oct 21, 2017
that's what happens when u marry the wrong woman .

for better they stay .
for worse they run .

1 Like

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by 9japrof(m): 8:08am On Oct 21, 2017
If help doesn't locate this man soon enough, he would likely join the thousands of Nigerians who unfortunately die of rare medical conditions.

Life is really unfair, really really is, someone whose governor is erecting statues for millions is dieing for an ailment a little fraction of that can cure
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Kingdov(m): 8:09am On Oct 21, 2017
rattlesnake:
Where are the biafra Fools that can't support this man and yet running after nnandi monkey
why is it that you and your fellows are devoid of intellectual thinking? Why can't u just comment on a thread discussing or attacking the topic other than showing the world that u are a product of bad home training ? Soon u will come up here to blame your failure in life on others try and pretend for once that you have sense please

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 21, 2017
some bigots here are busy calling pastor and church! what if he doesn't attend any church? mtchew, nairaland full of poo low iq bigots . smh

2 Likes

Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by phkka1(m): 8:11am On Oct 21, 2017
I wish the OPM man will read this pathetic story and come to the aid of this man. Both spiritually and Financially he can help this man. T. B. Joshua is another man of God I know that can render help in this type of situation.
Re: My Wife & Others Have Abandoned Me – Man With Swollen Stomach by Nobody: 8:15am On Oct 21, 2017
Nigeria, where is the love?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reason Why You Should Start Eating Tomatoes Today / Positive Effect Of Cam Wood (osun) On The Skin / Struggling With Diminished Sexual Desire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.