Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

.:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. (4470 Views)

Poll: Why do you avoid cooking gas?

It is expensive: 12% (1 vote)
It can explode on leakage: 37% (3 votes)
Indifferent: 50% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

.:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by aieromon(m): 12:23am On Mar 16, 2010
It amazes me when people tell me they are afraid to use cooking gas.
What are they really afraid of?Afterall,its quite cheap these days.
Nigerians,the federal government is tappin' into her gas reserves by reducing gas flaring.There is nothing to be scared of,it's clean and neat to use.You can say bye bye to smoking kitchens and black pots and pans.
If you're scared of using cooking gas,feel free to post your comments.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by mamagee3(f): 2:01am On Mar 16, 2010
Who filled your brain with these bullCrap? undecided
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by SeanT21(f): 5:45am On Mar 16, 2010
It can explode.

1 Like

Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by aieromon(m): 6:55am On Mar 16, 2010
@mama-gee
Everybody knows threads like this are way too complicated for you.
Go to the romance and celebrities section and post your immature thoughts.You don't require a brain in those sections.
Thank you undecided
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by mamagee3(f): 9:46pm On Mar 17, 2010
aieromon:

@mama-gee
Everybody knows threads like this are way too complicated for you.
Go to the romance and celebrities section and post your immature thoughts.You don't require a brain in those sections.
Thank you undecided
You're sooo daft!
I'm asking you, who gave you all these false infos about Cooking gases?
and you're here making a fool out of yourself. . .
Maybe if you knew more, you shouldn't have created this thread instead you should have gone to Google for help. . .
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by netotse(m): 9:57pm On Mar 17, 2010
mama-gee:

Who filled your brain with these bullCrap? undecided

mama-gee:

You're sooo daft!
I'm asking you, who gave you all these false infos about Cooking gases?
and you're here making a fool out of yourself. . .
Maybe if you knew more, you shouldn't have created this thread instead you should have gone to Google for help. . .

mama gee u can like to take it easy. . .

SeanT21:

It can explode.
i've never heard of a cooking gas cylinder explosion in nigeria before, however kerosene accidents, you dont want to get me started. . .

@OP
it could be cos of the price, cooking gas was deregulated ages ago so prices can get high at times, also it's more convenient for most nigerians to buy a bottle of kerosene, than it would be for them to lug a gas cylinder about. . .
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by mamagee3(f): 11:35pm On Mar 17, 2010
netotse:

i've never heard of a cooking gas cylinder explosion in nigeria before, however kerosene accidents, you dont want to get me started. . .

You're not the only one. grin grin
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by SeanT21(f): 12:09am On Mar 18, 2010
netotse:

mama gee u can like to take it easy. . .

@OP
it could be cos of the price, cooking gas was deregulated ages ago so prices can get high at times, also it's more convenient for most nigerians to buy a bottle of kerosene, than it would be for them to lug a gas cylinder about. . .

Thanks for your info.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by netotse(m): 12:23am On Mar 18, 2010
mama-gee:

You're not the only one. grin grin
better behave yourself. . .
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by mamagee3(f): 12:26am On Mar 18, 2010
netotse:

better behave yourself. . .
Have you ever considered going back to the cave in which you came out from?
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by netotse(m): 12:35am On Mar 18, 2010
mama-gee:

Have you ever considered going back to the cave in which you came out from?
as soon as i find me a missus to drag back to the cave with me. . .u game?

next thing you'll be saying you dont have any reason for trying garner so many posts. . .you're not adding anything to the thread.

@thread
a cylinder leakage is also not likely to cause an explosion, the gas / air ratio is just too low
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by chrisical(m): 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2010
SeanT21:

It can explode.
seconded!
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by mamagee3(f): 5:26pm On Mar 18, 2010
^^^ shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by aieromon(m): 6:21pm On Mar 18, 2010
@mama-gee
No need to go convulsive.
Seriously,the fear of explosion prevents most people from using cooking gas in Nigeria.
Cooking gas is not as expensive as people think in the long run.People prefer kerosene because it can be bought in small quantities.
Kerosene stoves suck.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by Badriyyah(f): 1:32pm On Mar 21, 2010
I don't know anyone that uses kerosene stoves in Nigeria. So maybe it's not a "Nigerian" thing but financial, like you said kerosene can be bought in small quatities so it's definitely cheaper, kerosene is not safe and probably causese more accidents than gas so I don't see why anyone would intentionally choose it over gas.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by prixxy(f): 8:42pm On Mar 22, 2010
many feel gas is way more expensive compared to kerosine
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by gidson12(m): 6:09pm On Mar 26, 2010
I feel dat the risk in kerosene is more, cos i hear more cases of kero explosion over gas
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by gidson12(m): 6:13pm On Mar 26, 2010
And mama g pls b mindful of d way u address ppl
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by spoilt(f): 12:36am On Mar 27, 2010
What are the alternatives to using cooking gas? Electricity? In Nigeria? Goodluck to you.
I dont think that firewood is practical in this modern day.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by DeepSoul(f): 10:46pm On Mar 27, 2010
Most people I know use gas cookers. I hardly know anyone that uses kerosene stove these days. Even when I was in school, even tho I didnt have a complete gas cooker, I had what they call a "camp gas". It's very easy to use as the cylinder and burner are all-in-one. And it's way cheaper to refill than the normal-sized gas cylinder.

Anyone who uses strictly kerosene stove is doing so for a financial reason abeg.

Na who like suffer? grin

We might as well stop entering cars because ther's a likelihood of having an accident!
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by hackney(m): 12:39pm On Mar 28, 2010
I've heard of cooking gas cylinders exploding in PH  MANY TIMES!!.
It may have been a bad batch but they were definitely exploding.
A class mate once told me how his dad had to throw a cylinder through the kitchen
window into the back garden as it had caught  blue fire around the rubber piping.

The cylinder hit the ground and blasted a whole mango tree to shreds.

that's scary.

1 Like

Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by dominique(f): 8:03pm On Mar 28, 2010
main reason people don't want to use gas in Nigeria
1. it explodes

2. its expensive

if only they knew better! they'd toss their kerosene stoves to the garbage. nowadays, the rate at which kerosene burns is faster than the blinking eye. people are always complaining that a gallon barely last for a week. gas is neater, faster and cheaper  and it doesn't exhaust deadly fumes like kero. we use our 10kg gas cylinder for up to 2 months before refilling it. refilling costs between 2,200 to 2,500. now lets compare it to kero which can go for about N500 per gallon (pardon me, that's the last price i heard its sold for). how much would have spent by the end of 2 months, do the math.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 01, 2010
there are so many wrong notions about using cooking gas. and wrong usage too. we nigerians enjoy being careless and proceed to leave our safety to God undecided

It takes a peculiar set of circumstances for a cylinder to catch fire -
the cylinder may be really old and weak/leaking,
the dispensing gauge may be old and allows gas leak from it, rather than solely through the hose
keeping the cylinder inside a tiny kitchen (where it's easy for leaking gas to create combustible gas-to-air ratios)
gas has a STINK that lets u know when it's leaking. u ignore it at your own peril.

as you can see, someone has to be deliberately careless for it to catch fire. a gas cylinder is designed such that the cylinder outlet is stoppered and gas doesn't escape until it is tampered with. when you combine a 20 year-old cylinder with a 20 yr old outlet and a 10 year old gauge, u're begging for trouble.

secondly, gas has better heat efficiency than other fuels. i don't know how to do the calculations, but there's a study that shows that gas energy efficiency is higher than any other fuel, and way cleaner. however, the reason people avoid it is the high refill cost. people can get kero in small units of say N100, but u can't get that for gas (ok well Oando has started offering that at filling stations)

the point of my long story is, it's not as prone to explosion when maintained properly.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by VIPICO(m): 5:15pm On Apr 03, 2010
If I may say in one word, the only reason Nigerians are scared of using LPG for cooking is the good old IGNORANCE. If only people knew, if only they knew,
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by aieromon(m): 6:15pm On Apr 04, 2010
@VIPICO
You're right - Ignorance is the word.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by adeomos(m): 7:22pm On Apr 04, 2010
you want to die
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by axeman85(m): 11:10pm On Apr 04, 2010
guys i beg to differ. close to my house there is a building that got burnt due to cooking gas explosion. althoug i dont know how it happened oo.
Re: .:. Why Do Nigerians Avoid Cooking Gas? .:. by VIPICO(m): 5:29pm On Apr 17, 2010
@axeman85,
No doubt we ocassionally hear about a fire inferno caused by careless use of cooking gas in homes but if we want to be sincere to ourselves, I'm sure the ratio at which that happens compared to kerosene explosion in this country is like 1:10

(1) (Reply)

We Can Supply Wood Pallets At Affordable Price / What Food Will Make My Slim 4 Months Baby Fat? / How To Cook Nigerian Unripe Plantain Porridge With Bushmeat And Fish (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.