Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (51428 Views)

What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / What Are The Departments In NDA? / How Tattered A Room In OAU Hostel Is (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by thunderbabs: 3:15am On Oct 27, 2017
Later, Woli Arole will be shouting like say OAU na Havard undecided
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by Henry213: 4:02am On Oct 27, 2017
Sat Obiyan the most useless saddist lecturer in OAU! Vanity upon Vanity
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by DilyAtlantis: 5:03am On Oct 27, 2017
Geology is a hell in all Nigerian Universities. I narrowly made 2:2 in geology from UNN.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by Lawsimon(m): 5:27am On Oct 27, 2017
Olufemiolaolu:
OAU political science dept is HELLISH.
it's the same in other universities. pol science hmmmmm!

1 Like

Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by mahogany85(f): 5:55am On Oct 27, 2017
No First Class in geology (White House) Dept..... that I can relate men. Great Ife

1 Like

Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by enemyofprogress: 6:52am On Oct 27, 2017
Noble4life:
My brother, all the lecturers in that department will not make heaven. I do not see any big deal in that course but the idiots kept dishing F's as if we no dey read or pay sch fees. I just no wan mention names, that sch is... I reserve my comment.
my brother make I help you call few names like Awofeso,Sat Obiyan and Afro
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by enemyofprogress: 6:53am On Oct 27, 2017
Henry213:
Sat Obiyan the most useless saddist lecturer in OAU! Vanity upon Vanity
hell is already waiting for him,afro and awofeso
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by enemyofprogress: 6:54am On Oct 27, 2017
thunderbabs:
Later, Woli Arole will be shouting like say OAU na Havard undecided
we dey talk of human being you dey talk of woli arole,dat one na human being
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by rabzy: 7:09am On Oct 27, 2017
enemyofprogress:

una no fit burn their cars. i graduated from spider house civil engineering. i didnt even stress myself after hearing all the sadistic stories. i had 9 distinctions from sec school so i just relaxed and did what i could and get out with an average grade. didnt affect me one bit.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by ppotter(m): 7:20am On Oct 27, 2017
Ballack1:
5 departments in OAU where bagging first class degree is almost impossible

OAU is one of the Universities that rarely produce first class students and the reason for this is best known to the lecturers.

Obafemi Awolowo University is a 'great' institution that has over the years developed a culture of glorifying students' failure.

OAU is one of the Universities that rarely produce first class students and the reason for this is best known to the lecturers.

Some lecturers in Nigerian Universities like to form bad guys with their students and they do that with first-class arrogance. A lot of students have had encounters with lecturers telling them they will not graduate, the lenient one would promise you a poor very grade irrespective of your performance in the test.

Lecturers like these according to the students abound in OAU and they wear their principle glorifying failure like a badge of honour.

Graduating with first-class from Obafemi Awolowo University is one of the most difficult things to achieve in Nigeria.

It is almost impossible because some departments in the University have developed a culture of not producing first class graduates.

While other departments produce graduates year in year out, these departments have proved that first class award is not a for everyone in their domain, not even for the most brilliant students.

Recently, Aarinola Olaiya broke a 28-year-old record in the University as she emerged the first student of Surgery to graduate with distinction in 28 years.

This prompted a conversation based on the conclusion of a Twitter Nigeria influencer that lecturers in a faculty or department that does not produce a first-class student in five years should be fired.

A lot of people reacted to this tweet and called out the department in OAU where it is difficult to make first class.

So, if you are considering admission into these departments, you have to prepare yourself for the culture. The culture of glorifying failure in OAU.

1. English

The OAU English department has not produced any first class student in more than three decades. According to a student of the department, the last distinction graduate of the department is now an old senior lecturer in the department. And ever since, no student has been dimmed brilliant enough to merit the award.

2. Geology:

If making first class in the study of the earth and its structure was a passport to heaven, no student studying Geology in OAU would make heaven.

It is that certain. So certain that the lecturers usually prepare the minds of the students that they can not get first class no matter how brilliant they are. Geology is one of the most dreaded departments in this university and for decades, no student has been celebrated in the department.

3. Surgery:

In Surgery department, it is a good news that no student has been able to make first class for the past 28 years. This seems to be a department where making first class is seriously frowned at.

Unfortunately, for the department, a  student of the department, Aarinola Olaniyan recently broke the jinx and her fellow students could not but celebrate her victory over the department.

4. Political Science:

This department has also failed to produce any first class graduate in so many years. This culture has even made some students to give up on chasing first class because first class has not happened to any student in the past and is not likely to happen in future.

5. Chemistry:

According to a graduate of this department, graduating with distinction in Chemistry is not as terrible as it is in Geology but it is rare to come across a first-class student in the department.

It takes like three to four years to see a first class graduate in this department, it is a serious issue but not as serious as the case in Geology and medical faculty.

However, this is not to say Nigerian Universities should distribute first class award to every Tom Dick and Harry, nevertheless, the students deserve to be rewarded appropriately for their efforts rather than victimizing them because the department or faculty wants to maintain a record of no first class.

https://amp.pulse.ng/communities/student/5-oau-dept-where-it-is-almost-impossible-to-make-first-class-id7509037.html
But what does first class in political science earns you in this country sef? How many of our law makers, have good certificate? None.

1 Like

Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by maestroferddi: 7:56am On Oct 27, 2017
4gunners:
share?? Wen u av conglomeration of brains and the lecturers are findings ways to trim down the high flyers, u know wat that means
You obviously didn't get my drift...
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by Noble4life(m): 8:35am On Oct 27, 2017
enemyofprogress:
You know them very well. The good ones like Fagbadebo and Akinola were not comfortable in that department.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by thunderbabs: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2017
enemyofprogress:
we dey talk of human being you dey talk of woli arole,dat one na human being

Ahaaaaaa, ahaaaaa, tk am easy na....though i b omo OSU, No b like mk i con kill am na grin
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by IRALIFE(f): 10:09am On Oct 27, 2017
lilbazy:
In Nigeria your degree doesn't really matter.... A friend of mine graduated with 3rd class in Agriculture and he is currently working with UBA in Ilorin!!! Making 1st class isn't a gateway to Success.

Agreed. But if a student deserves it, why not? It was even worse in my school. It was 2:1 that gave them headache. They had to increase the GPA for 2.1 to about 3.8 for a set that could have had many 2.1 students ( not first class o). I remember one of my lecturers saying ' "A" is for God'. God doesn't need the "A" , neither is He going to sit for exams. We do not know the 'God' he was talking about because the Almighty God disappointed him in our set. We had plethora of A's which had not happened in a long while.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by ebby9z(m): 12:17pm On Oct 27, 2017
StunnerG:

Tautologistic tortoise grin
I knew those homonymous words will still cause confusion for some.

Homonyms are two words that are spelt the same and sound the same, but have different meanings.

Tautology : the saying of the same thing twice over in different words generally considered to be a fault of style

You'll be alright.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by Jaytecq(m): 5:20pm On Oct 27, 2017
itzvictor:
try URP then making first class is like for a camel passing through the eye of a needle
true talk, i can related with that
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by aliandro(m): 10:02pm On Oct 27, 2017
Arinola didn't have distinction in Anatomy,the last time I checked
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by omowaleola(f): 10:32am On Oct 28, 2017
maleekfrenzy:
I can still remember when I was doing PD.. proF Akande was the last person that had first class in that Eng department...He said it himself...There is also this guy that taught me in one tutorial like that. Apex tutors in Ife..He said he would have finished with 1st class but they gave him an E in a course that he should have had 90 A just to make sure he doesn't finish with a 1st class. same English department. Those Lecturers re saddist.
Prof. Akande finished with first class from English Education not pure English language.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by VivaDeAngelo(m): 7:02am On Oct 30, 2017
The course too hard, the higher you go, the harder it becomes, these lecturers are not helping matters with their stingy marking scheme, I just want to jejely come out with my 2_1, I'm not asking for too much. Nobody for my set and the past few sets have ever made a first class, the last guy that I heard managed to get a first class was a courserep, since then, no first class.

Econometrics, different types of graphs and calculations wan scatter person brain grin.

Lol....... That course rep factor, especially if he sabi small book.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by mrLhanray(m): 2:21pm On Oct 30, 2017
Donselekta:
That is the department I represent, some of the lecturers are bent to frustrate students. I remembered what Dr. Yagboyaju did to us then, average lecturer but was full of himself.

exactly, he is so full of himself...
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by toygod2: 3:17pm On Oct 31, 2017
maleekfrenzy:
I can still remember when I was doing PD.. proF Akande was the last person that had first class in that Eng department...He said it himself...There is also this guy that taught me in one tutorial like that. Apex tutors in Ife..He said he would have finished with 1st class but they gave him an E in a course that he should have had 90 A just to make sure he doesn't finish with a 1st class. same English department. Those Lecturers re saddist.

Lol, APEX TUTORIAL...
That guy was never too serious. He was my set.
He lied to you about graduating with a 1st class....

Chai, Apex, Imafidon Dennis..... Dat guy get sweet mouth, honey tongue...... Nor allow him bobo you oo
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by jonnyrichie(m): 8:14am On Dec 07, 2018
maleekfrenzy:
yeah Paul Akpomuje. Everyone loves Faleye. U get it that Akande is a real saddist...if u see how he was saying it with happiness then, that noone has finished with 1st class for almost 20 years.
Dr FALEYE,I so much enjoyed that man during predegree days(2011),,,very funny and simple man,another is Dr Babs(babalola),dat man too dey lie grin
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by jonnyrichie(m): 8:29am On Dec 07, 2018
Sheun001:

what hear did you do PD
Moro that dead town grin
Ooh,u also did PD..mine was 2011/2012
D days of Dr ayinde(lamlad),babs,faleye,Dr eleruja now prof,and 1 baba esu for those in social science grin
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by otemitayo(m): 6:55pm On Jan 03, 2019
http://pol.oauife.edu.ng/13-phds-2-first-class-feature-in-department-of-political-sciences-harvest-of-graduands-at-oau-2018-convocation-ceremonies/

2 First Class feature in Department of Political Science’s Harvest of Graduands at OAU 2018 Convocation Ceremonies

It was a harvest of graduands for the Department of Political Science at the 43rd convocation ceremonies of the University which held from 12th to 14th of December, 2018. A total of 204 former students of the Department across all levels featured among the 13,402 graduands that the University conferred with various degrees for the 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 sessions.

The breakdown for postgraduate programmes shows a total of 13 PhD Political Science, 38 M.Sc Political Science and 5 Master of Political Science graduands.

For undergraduate programmes, the Department produced two First Class graduands (AJIBOLA Boluwatife Solomon [Political Science] and KASALI Toheeb [Politics, Philosophy and Economics]), 47 in the second class upper division category, 83 in the second class lower division category, 15 in the 3rd class category and 1 in the pass category. ANTIA Emmanuel Okeoghene and AJIBOLA Boluwatife Solomon graduated as best students for the 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 sessions, respectively; the duo won the two departmental convocation prizes for the different sessions: the J. Olanipekun Akintunde Prize for the best graduating student in the final degree examinations and the Professor Leo Dare Prize for the graduating student with the best overall performance.

Among the PhD graduands are three academic staff of the Department, Drs. K. A. Mbada, S. A. Usman and S. C. Agunyai, as well as Dr. B. A. Abioro of the Department of Local Government Studies and the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Rt. Honourable N. F. Salaam.

Six of the PhD graduands trained under the guardianship of Professor A. S. Obiyan: Abioro, S. O. Bamidele, Usman, M. T. Adewole, A. M. Alabi and O. S. Adelana; four trained under Professor O. A. Bamisaye: A. W. Alabi, Salaam, Agunyai and I. A. Amanchukwu. N. G. Obah-Akpowoghaha and I. S. Ebirim trained under the supervision of Dr. O Awofeso while Mbada was supervised by Professor N. O. Mimiko, mni.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by Mitchsin(f): 9:15am On Aug 14, 2019
lilbazy:
In Nigeria your degree doesn't really matter.... A friend of mine graduated with 3rd class in Agriculture and he is currently working with UBA in Ilorin!!! Making 1st class isn't a gateway to Success.
True talk o,it really isnt.
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by Stargurl20(f): 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2019
But what will these lecturers gain from failing the deserving students? Not just the governments, but we ourselves are problem to ourselves. We're are the ones discomforting ourselves
Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by PECng: 2:31pm On Oct 27, 2020
When you Have Changed Your Choice of Course in your UTME but the Old Course is Still Reflecting on Your OAU Post-UTME
It is very normal that between when UTME results are released and when admission offering is over, applicants will have the need to change their choices of institution or/and courses, it’s very normal. But I have to tell you that this is one of the very rampant but overlooked reasons why a lot of people lose their admission—especially when it has to do with OAU. Read me right please, changing your choices of course within OAU is not a problem at all, it only becomes a problem when you do the changing of course at a wrong time; and there are so many wrong times to change your course if you are aspiring to be offered an admission in OAU. READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2020/10/when-you-have-changed-your-choice-of.html

Re: 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible by westreign(m): 5:19pm On Oct 27, 2020
Hmmmn! And OP is stressing it as if they don't produce first class graduate in OAU or their own first class graduates are lesser to some other Universities in Nigeria. Is it not thesame school that produces over 100 first class graduates in the year 2014.

https://www.nairaland.com/2037206/oau-graduates-127-first-class

So many schools in Nigeria are with few departments that never produce first class since inception. No point making it looks like OAU is different or what is happening in OAU doesn't exist in other schools.

It's a verifiable fact that Geology and Political science Departments in Nigerian Universities hardly produce first class graduate and not peculiar to OAU alone.

Very correct, political science answers are too complex to get an A in all course. Most answer takes debate format and very technical.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics / What Are Those Courses You Won't Advise Anyone To Study In Nigeria? / Moshood Abiola University Vs Alex Ekwueme University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.