Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,773 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking (2127 Views)

Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking / First Bank To Providus Bank Or Globus Bank / Meet Rukaiya El-Rufai, The First PwC Female Northerner Partner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 26, 2017
Hello guys,

So, I am in a dilemma right now. I need to make a quick decision about starting a career in Investment Banking in a popular boutique Investment bank in Nigeria or PwC deal advisory. Having weighed both options carefully, below are my thoughts on the two opportunities.

Strong Boutique Investment Bank

1. I get to learn and reasonably master the trade of IBK going by the enormity of responsibility i get to take on( c.10-man team)

Con

1. Little to no international recognition( medium-term plan is to do masters in an IVY league, do not know if it would help achieve that goal)

PwC

1. DA not really IBK focused, but get reasonably hands on experience, and acquire international best practice.

Cons

1. My IBK game may not be as solid as starting in a core-IBK firm.

My thinking: I believe if I can start from the boutique firm, I would learn a lot, be a valuable asset to any team I join in the future , and my work would speak for me- which is something very important to me. As in every human endeavor, I believe having a strong foundation is crucial to succeeding/surviving in the long term. Further, I believe the boutique firm would give me this opportunity to learn and grow. PwC on the other hand, I believe would also help in learning a great deal but not as much as the boutique(just an outsider point of view).

Why I am putting all these into consideration is that I do not want to be switching Jobs every 6-months and I really want to invest my early years in learning and knowing. I want to make a name for myself in this industry, I want my name to be synonymous with professionalism, excellence and strong work ethic.

Please advice me accordingly.

PS. forgive my use and abuse of boutique for the firm, it is really a popular one, I just do not want to mention it.

Regards,

Fiyin.
Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by Ceedric: 5:08am On Oct 27, 2017
Hi Fiyin great to see someone who's also keen on a career in IB. I'm also on that path though I currently work in audit firm on a strategic move towards the world of IB.
I totally understand your plight, it is a case of going with the internationally renowned firm(Pwc) but in a way they are not in quote core in IB or working in a boutique IB firm that is nascent but can grow exponentially and u can learn a lot.
Really wish I had a perfect answer to your question but I think If I was in your shoes I would go for Pwc deal advisory, I believe learning-wise U'll gain more there in a more all-rounded spectrum , gives u the international exposure and brand on your cv, u could work there 3,4 or 5 years there go for your Mba in a top school or better still go for Cfa which is the most recognized certification for the IB world, then make a switch into core IB or PE industry.
I believe by then, ur value will be more then, earning power also.
God bless and wish u all the best in your decision.
Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2017
Ceedric:
Hi Fiyin great to see someone who's also keen on a career in IB. I'm also on that path though I currently work in audit firm on a strategic move towards the world of IB.
I totally understand your plight, it is a case of going with the internationally renowned firm(Pwc) but in a way they are not in quote core in IB or working in a boutique IB firm that is nascent but can grow exponentially and u can learn a lot.
Really wish I had a perfect answer to your question but I think If I was in your shoes I would go for Pwc deal advisory, I believe learning-wise U'll gain more there in a more all-rounded spectrum , gives u the international exposure and brand on your cv, u could work there 3,4 or 5 years there go for your Mba in a top school or better still go for Cfa which is the most recognized certification for the IB world, then make a switch into core IB or PE industry.
I believe by then, ur value will be more then, earning power also.
God bless and wish u all the best in your decision.

Thank you Ceedric.
I accepted the Boutique firm offer. Note that, you do not need CFA for a core IBK role. In addition, the CFA charter is useful for asset management and and research roles, I may not be writing the CFA if I was not in Naija. I once worked in a Bulge Bracket(think a JP Morgan) IBK firm outside of the country and I could count(with my fingers) the numbers of Bankers that had CFA. They value what you can do more on the job than the certificate you have, outside of Naija. Again, PE firms also cherish 2-3 years IBK experience before taking you in.

Thanks for your contribution man, all the best in your future endeavors too.

Regards,

Fiyin.

1 Like

Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by Ceedric: 2:25pm On Oct 27, 2017
Could u kindly follow back, i would like to send a pm.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by being(m): 8:03pm On Oct 27, 2017
Excellent decision!! You see while PwC gives an international touch to your CV, reality is you will garner far more experience with a strong Nigerian IB firm like FBN capital or Vetiva. It is much easier for you to join pwc from a stanbic capital than to join stanbic capital from pwc. The second is a career upgrade.
So great decision. Let the 80 hour weeks begin.

Fiyinfoluwa20:

Thank you Ceedric.
I accepted the Boutique firm offer. Note that, you do not need CFA for a core IBK role. In addition, the CFA charter is useful for asset management and and research roles, I may not be writing the CFA if I was not in Naija. I once worked in a Bulge Bracket(think a JP Morgan) IBK firm outside of the country and I could count(with my fingers) the numbers of Bankers that had CFA. They value what you can do more on the job than the certificate you have, outside of Naija. Again, PE firms also cherish 2-3 years IBK experience before taking you in.

Thanks for your contribution man, all the best in your future endeavors too.

Regards,

Fiyin.
Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 27, 2017
Bleep
Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by hilaryxoxo(f): 2:48pm On May 26, 2018
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REACH YOU FIYIN! PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL!!!

1 Like

Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 26, 2018
hilaryxoxo:
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REACH YOU FIYIN! PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL!!!

Let’s talk on my Nairaland username at y mail dot com. Do you understand ?
Re: A Strong Boutique Investment Bank Or Pwc(deal Advisory) For Investment Banking by zakir007(m): 12:18pm On Jan 19, 2020
being:
Excellent decision!! You see while PwC gives an international touch to your CV, reality is you will garner far more experience with a strong Nigerian IB firm like FBN capital or Vetiva. It is much easier for you to join pwc from a stanbic capital than to join stanbic capital from pwc. The second is a career upgrade.
So great decision. Let the 80 hour weeks begin.

Hi. Please what aspect of investment banking makes one a great stock investor? Is it IB or equity research?
Also which of the two exposes one to various companies (allows you to be more diversified as you work on many different projects at once) so he becomes an expert that can easily switch to consulting (in big 4) later in life?
Finally, between corporate finance and other divisions, which is likely to be marketable in the future or become extinct?
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Graduates Deficiency In Writing Or Expressing Themselves In English Language / Bank Or Mersk / Between Government Work And Private Work Which One Do You Prefer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.