Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking (9932 Views)

Nigerian Lady Loses Job Offer Because She Has A Big Tummy (Photo) / An Investment Banking Career: A Thread for Questions, Advice & Vacancies / The Recruitment Process Of The Big Four Accounting Firms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by lajid: 10:28am On Dec 17, 2022
Pls I need opinions on the above subject matter.

I want to choose a career path...
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Buharidgeneral: 10:31am On Dec 17, 2022
Go for tax . A lot to benefit

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by lajid: 11:59am On Dec 17, 2022
Buharidgeneral:
Go for tax . A lot to benefit

Ok, will appreciate more emphasis on the benefits

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by lajid: 1:06pm On Dec 17, 2022
I need opinions cry

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by mrphysics(m): 5:03pm On Dec 17, 2022
Go into Tax. It's an interesting field with lots of things to learn on daily basis. Knowing how it works is a skill that is important to have.

I have been into taxation from a consulting, tech, and regulatory point and I can tell you that the opportunities are limitless.

Most people who do tax work in IRS of different states but it's not even the right place to work with the knowledge of taxation. Work with tech companies that are into taxation.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by lajid: 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2022
mrphysics:
Go into Tax. It's an interesting field with lots of things to learn on daily basis. Knowing how it works is a skill that is important to have.

I have been into taxation from a consulting, tech, and regulatory point and I can tell you that the opportunities are limitless.

Most people who do tax work in IRS of different states but it's not even the right place to work with the knowledge of taxation. Work with tech companies that are into taxation.

Thank you.

I’m just looking at the exit option, feeling like it’s too restrictive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by NDakota: 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2022
If I were you, I'd choose investment banking.

You'll get bored with the dull, repetitive work in tax at a Big 4. And, your exit options are just too damn limited.

Even audit has better exit options.

Investment banking is where the money, the learning, and the intellectual challenges are!

Don't do some rote regulatory work. You add little value to society...

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by lajid: 9:26pm On Dec 17, 2022
NDakota:
If I were you, I'd choose investment banking.

You'll get bored with the dull, repetitive work in tax at a Big 4. And, your exit options are just too damn limited.

Even audit has better exit options.

Investment banking is where the money, the learning, and the intellectual challenges are!

Don't do some rote regulatory work. You add little value to society...

I think if I get into tax, I can negotiate to be transferred to audit. How about that

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by NDakota: 9:56pm On Dec 17, 2022
lajid:

I think if I get into tax, I can negotiate to be transferred to audit. How about that

If you can, perfect!

2 - 3 years in audit gives you lots of better options.

Wish you the best!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by lajid: 11:06pm On Dec 17, 2022
NDakota:

If you can, perfect!

2 - 3 years in audit gives you lots of better options.

Wish you the best!

Thank you
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Janedoe27: 8:11am On Dec 18, 2022
Honestly if it’s not Audit in a big 4 I will advise you to go for the investment banking. As long as the investment bank is also a good place. Tax is a limiting profession and it will be hard for you to practice what you’ve learned here outside the country due to difference in tax laws. Except you are fortunate to be in the transfer pricing department as that is a new field with limited professionals. Whatever one you decide on, think long term and mobility in the job market and that should be what should drive your decision.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by gly2ken: 8:37am On Dec 18, 2022
Take my advice for I have tasted both. Investment banking might pay higher salary now but remember "appearance is not reality". One day you might be sacked or asked to resign from the investment bank, if it happens do you have the resources to open your own bank?. Tax is a life long career, even after leaving the big 4 your can run your own tax consulting firm. Tax practice is rewarding. You would not be stressed by the crazy target in banks if you are in taxation. Stay in taxation and get all the required certification. Thank you.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by being(m): 4:04am On Dec 19, 2022
What is the investment bank? -- it matters!
Big 4 looks good on d CV home & abroad with endless industry opportunities. Audit can be quite boring & excruciating but has good exit opportunities. If I were you, I would eye a move to strategy consulting or corporate finance in the big 4.

Investment banking (in d biggest banks) promises some more money than audit/tax and can be more interesting than audit/tax. But direct global mobility isn't there and hours can be crazier than audit. Also, you are limited to IBs & CF depts of the few firms that have CF.

lajid:

Cc: mukina2 pls push this to front page, it’s important

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by TheTWM: 1:11pm On Dec 19, 2022
Noted.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Kehinde00: 1:13pm On Dec 19, 2022
Ss
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by phemmyfour: 1:14pm On Dec 19, 2022
lajid:

Tax all the way
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by ednut1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 19, 2022
There is more money in investment banking. But a job in big 4, after 3 to 4 years you will be able to get a job in big 4 in UK, USA or Australia. I took a pay cut in 2015 to Join PWC. The experience on my CV has opened doors for me in Canada today.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Nnaemiemax: 1:16pm On Dec 19, 2022
If the Investment Banking option is a multinational opt in, otherwise the 'Big 4' wins.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by tempex88(m): 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2022
share your qualifications & passion....it will help with better Judgement.

ACA or CFA etc.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by H2ho(m): 1:22pm On Dec 19, 2022
tempex88:
share your qualifications & passion....it will help with better Judgement.

ACA or CFA etc.
CFA now

2 Likes

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by diplomat058(m): 1:23pm On Dec 19, 2022
lajid:

It's not that easy Boss. Please ensure you analyse the possibility with an authorized insider i.e. an HR personnel before taking the offer.

Warm regards!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by tempex88(m): 1:23pm On Dec 19, 2022
H2ho:

CFA now

Which stages of CFA have you done? Stay with investment banking
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Rilwayne001: 1:23pm On Dec 19, 2022
H2ho:

CFA now
Wow
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by ThierryJay: 1:24pm On Dec 19, 2022
In terms of opportunities and exposure investment banking is higher than tax in rating.

However, the pedigree of the company providing the investment banking opportunity matters. A big 4 experience on your CV whether tax or audit opens doors faster to get foreign jobs in the UK, Canada, Australia etc than the I.B experience in a local bank here.

Also there is relative better job stability with the big four tax work than with the I.B due to the fact that the investment sector is more volatile and subject to economic fluctuations and business cases.

So in the short term, if you want the big cash and also intend to stay in 9ja for long and is okay with the potential job security risk (if there's recession for instance), go for the investment banking opportunity.

But if you are a japa candidate, working with KPMG, PwC, Deloitte or EY would open doors for you much more seamlessly abroad while you can also still excel locally but may be limited to a CFO ceiling in Nigeria which is not bad at all.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by diplomat058(m): 1:27pm On Dec 19, 2022
ednut1:
There is more money in investment banking. But a job in big 4, after 3 to 4 years you will be able to get a job in big 4 in UK, USA or Australia. I took a pay cut in 2015 to Join PWC. The experience on my CV has opened doors for me in Canada today.

Your comment always gives me joy, except the ones you castigate BAT cheesy. I'm a big fan, btw

2 Likes

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by ednut1(m): 1:34pm On Dec 19, 2022
diplomat058:

Your comment always gives me joy, except the ones you castigate BAT cheesy. I'm a big fan, btw
angry how can you be supporting a man who is visibly not well. He gets incapacitated then Shetima take over. Iru pala pala wo ni yen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by ravetechng: 1:37pm On Dec 19, 2022
Any is fine

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPS Uniport Past Questions And Answers / One Single Habit That Makes Every Millionaire A Lot Of Money / Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.