Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,183 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? (1053 Views)

Did The Bible Condemn Polygamy And Yul Edochie's Second Marriage? / Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? / Does The Bible Condemn Alcohol? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by preshdiva(f): 12:11pm On Oct 29, 2017
I haven't been able to wrap my head around this. The conventional stand in Christian churches today is that a a man must not marry more than one wife; except in the case of the death of a spouse or divorce. However, great men like Abraham, David and most notable of all, King Solomon were polygamous and were not condemned because of that. So at what point did the Christian religion become anti-polygamy

I need responses with scriptural back up please...

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by ABIOLAXYZ(m): 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2017
I want to learn
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by preshdiva(f): 10:28am On Dec 22, 2017
ABIOLAXYZ:
I want to learn

I want to learn too.

cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by smoy: 11:08am On Dec 22, 2017
bible even encouraged it, as you mentioned by the stories of those men of God. one man one wife is a teaching of church not of God.
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by urahara(m): 11:22am On Dec 22, 2017
it's verbal gymnastics time.
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by EmperorHarry: 11:39am On Dec 22, 2017
Who brought Christianity to Nigeria?What are their cultural views on marriage? Could this have somehow influenced the doctrines of their religion?
I think you'd find the answer
Don't want to take this topic to an unrelated destination by citing other examples,so I'd just leave your mind to figure that out

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by enilove(m): 12:04pm On Dec 22, 2017
preshdiva:
I haven't been able to wrap my head around this. The conventional stand in Christian churches today is that a a man must not marry more than one wife; except in the case of the death of a spouse or divorce. However, great men like Abraham, David and most notable of all, King Solomon were polygamous and were not condemned because of that. So at what point did the Christian religion become anti-polygamy

I need responses with scriptural back up please...

When God created the first man , Adam, he created only on wife for him. God could have created 2 if it good to have more than one wife.

The fall of Adam in the garden brought about disorderliness. People started doing things their own ways. They worshipped the wrong gods , killed and did many things which were abominable .The first person to marry two wives did so by his own will. He was the descendant of Cain.
Genesis 4:19,23 KJV
And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah. [23] And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.

It was a wicked man that started polygamy in the Bible.
God even told the kings of Israel not to marry many wives.

Deuteronomy 17:17 KJV
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by EmperorHarry: 2:40pm On Dec 22, 2017
enilove:

When God created the first man , Adam, he created only on wife for him. God could have created 2 if it good to have more than one wife.

The fall of Adam in the garden brought about disorderliness. People started doing things their own ways. They worshipped the wrong gods , killed and did many things which were abominable .The first person to marry two wives did so by his own will. He was the descendant of Cain.
Genesis 4:19,23 KJV
And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah. [23] And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.

It was a wicked man that started polygamy in the Bible.
God even told the kings of Israel not to marry many wives.

Deuteronomy 17:17 KJV
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
1.Are you saying that marrying two wives is a sin?
2.Who is the wicked man you're talking about?
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by enilove(m): 5:39pm On Dec 22, 2017
EmperorHarry:

1.Are you saying that marrying two wives is a sin?
2.Who is the wicked man you're talking about?

For Christians , it is a so to marry more than one wife. Jesus said:

Matthew 19:4-6 KJV
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, [5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Taking another wife has divided the marriage. God recognises the first wife only. "Two shall become one" not three.

1 Timothy 3:1-4 KJV
This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
[2] A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
[3] Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
[4] One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

The wicked one I was referring to was Lamech :
Genesis 4:23-24 KJV
And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.
[24] If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by EmperorHarry: 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2017
enilove:

For Christians , it is a so to marry more than one wife. Jesus said:

Matthew 19:4-6 KJV
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, [5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Taking another wife has divided the marriage. God recognises the first wife only. "Two shall become one" not three.

1 Timothy 3:1-4 KJV
This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
[2] A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
[3] Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
[4] One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

The wicked one I was referring to was Lamech :
Genesis 4:23-24 KJV
And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.
[24] If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

So what would you say about Jacob who married two wives? Would you make an exception in his case?
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by enilove(m): 6:54pm On Dec 22, 2017
EmperorHarry:

So what would you say about Jacob who married two wives? Would you make an exception in his case?

As at that time , the people did not see it as a sin, it had become a norm. This was why God called Moses so that the people can start to know the mind of God.

Some of those laws were not addressed by the first law because of the hardness of heart of the Jews , but Mose made it clear to them that a Messiah is coming and him they should obey as the final authority, which is Jesus Christ.

Matthew 7:28-29 KJV
And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: [29] For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by joshnes(m): 7:01pm On Dec 22, 2017
You're doing well enilove, keep it up bro.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by enilove(m): 7:58pm On Dec 22, 2017
joshnes:
You're doing well enilove, keep it up bro.

Thanks .
Am a learner , from a Muslim background .
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by joshnes(m): 8:19pm On Dec 22, 2017
enilove:

Thanks .
Am a learner , from a Muslim background .

wow, kudos, you're a fast learner then. May God's grace abound more towards to you bro, and may your light lead others to the light of Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by enilove(m): 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2017
joshnes:
wow, kudos, you're a fast learner then. May God's grace abound more towards to you bro, and may your light lead others to the light of Jesus.

Amen. God bless you.
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by FRESHG(m): 11:18pm On Dec 22, 2017
enilove:

Amen. God bless you.
YOU NEED TO JOIN ME AND ALCATRAZ005 TO FIGHT THESE NAIRALAND JIHADISTS. CHRISTIANITY IS SERIOUSLY UNDER ATTACK IN NIGERIAsad
Re: Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? by enilove(m): 9:01am On Dec 23, 2017
FRESHG:
YOU NEED TO JOIN ME AND ALCATRAZ005 TO FIGHT THESE NAIRALAND JIHADISTS. CHRISTIANITY IS SERIOUSLY UNDER ATTACK IN NIGERIAsad

How do I joint you ?

(1) (Reply)

Did Oyakhilome Just Prove Other Pentecostal Pastors A Lie? (pics) / Three Churches In One Building In Lagos (photo ) / Can Jesus Save Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.