Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? (2268 Views)

15 Bible Verses To Encourage You / Did The Bible Condemn Polygamy And Yul Edochie's Second Marriage? / Does The Bible Condemn Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 9:52am On May 18, 2020
The Bible seem to condemn the rich alot and encourages you to be poor . Even if you are wealthy, this same Bible task you to give to the needy by force else you face eternal damnation. Like it's an obligation? Why must the Bible dictate how a man spends his sweat and what to do with it. It's even as bad as saying it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.. Very pathetic.

Proverbs 28 :Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Luke 12 : Sell your possessions, and give to the needy.

James 5; Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. .You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter.

Revelation 3: For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.

Proverbs 21 : Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered.

Luke 21: Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

Ezekiel 7: They cast their silver into the streets, and their gold is like an unclean thing. Their silver and gold are not able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord. They cannot satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs with it. For it was the stumbling block of their iniquity.

James 5: Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you.

It's no doubt good to give to the needy but the Bible ought not to make it seem like it's an obligation because when they were hustling, their poor counterpart were either sleeping or praying to him. Now that the hustle paid off, he must now give part of it to the poor ? A must? What for? It shouldn't be a must and he shouldn't be threatened with misery and hell because of the misfortune of another man. I've never seen a book so authoritative.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by HitlerGaddafi: 10:07am On May 18, 2020
As far as the Bible is concerned, it's a big crime else you buy yourself an estate in hell. Ever wondered my most over religious Christian's are poor?
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by hayoholla(m): 10:09am On May 18, 2020
It is more easier to control the poor, than to control the rich grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 10:09am On May 18, 2020
Isn't the same Bible that said "Money Answereth all things"?
Pls wake up, make money and enjoy your life because you only live once.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by madone: 10:31am On May 18, 2020
this show how unintelligent and myopic this op is ...picking some selected part of the bible to post here just show that ur head is very empty am sure u will die poor

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 10:34am On May 18, 2020
madone:
this show how unintelligent and myopic this op is ...picking some selected part of the bible to post here just show that ur head is very empty am sure u will die poor
Sorry aburo, the wealth I've accumulated in this life, your current generation and the unborn ones can never attain such feat okay? So look for your mates to exchange words with.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 10:39am On May 18, 2020
NockMedia:
Isn't the same Bible that said "Money Answereth all things"?
Pls wake up, make money and enjoy your life because you only live once.
The Bible has always been contradicting and confusing. Same reason it's followers are bunch of confused beings.

8 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by madone: 10:41am On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Sorry aburo, the wealth I've accumulated in this life, your current generation and the unborn ones can never attain such feat okay? So look for your mates to exchange words with.
grin

that is how poor and aspiring online audio money eeeeeeeeediots talk. have u heard that money don't like noise.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 10:42am On May 18, 2020
HitlerGaddafi:
As far as the Bible is concerned, it's a big crime else you buy yourself an estate in hell. Ever wondered my most over religious Christian's are poor?
Very pathetic if you ask me

6 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by JourneytoEL(f): 12:09pm On May 18, 2020
what the bible is trying to say is put the love of God over the love of money. E.g if you are told to sleep with someone or swear at a shrine before you will be awarded a $30million contract, would you refuse the opportunity to become rich because you love your God? The bible has no problem with riches.Solomon was the richest in his time, Job was the richest too. Jabez,David, Lydia too were rich. Even Jesus had rich friends such as Nichodemus and Joseph of Arimathea. In the new testament, there were records of rich people who donated money to help the poor. What the bible is against is rich people who commit sin to make money and think by tithing or bringing it to church they will cover up their sins and go to heaven. E.g a typical nigerian politician that will steal money meant for his poor constituents and use part of it to build a church

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by spartan117(m): 2:34pm On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

The Bible has always been contradicting and confusing. Same reason it's followers are bunch of confused beings.
Lol the bible can be really confusing to those without understanding (I mean no disrespect).

We who are the followers of Jesus know how to study and make meaning out of scriptures.

Stay safe.
Shalom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 2:47pm On May 18, 2020
spartan117:

Lol the bible can be really confusing to those without understanding (I mean no disrespect).

We who are the followers of Jesus know how to study and make meaning out of scriptures.

Stay safe.
Shalom
It's not that you make meaning out of scriptures, you're only being gullible and easily manipulated. You people barely think properly. Someone who thinks well can easily see alot of flaws in a book written by man called the Bible.

9 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 2:54pm On May 18, 2020
spartan117:

Stay safe.
Shalom
Or in your infinite knowledge, tell me how you can make meaning of the book of Romans that says that we are saved by faith alone without works

But in James 2:24, it says A man is justified by works, and not by faith only
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 18, 2020
One thing I know about the Bible is that its full of codes, symbols, parables.
Nothing is to be taken literally if u wanna really understand.

Same with books of moses, abrahamiac books. Its full of symbols

Dont be surprised when u get the Hebrew version of that verse, it wasn't interpreted in English in the real terms it was supposed to.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by spartan117(m): 4:24pm On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Or in your infinite knowledge, tell me how you can make meaning of the book of Romans that says that we are saved by faith alone without works

But in James 2:24, it says A man is justified by works, and not by faith only
I will kindly refer you to my previous post.

Warm regards.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by YongeeB4431(m): 4:27pm On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Bro Abeg help me with any amount
Access bank
Basit Agunbiade
Thank you God bless
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

The Bible seem to condemn the rich alot and encourages you to be poor . Even if you are wealthy, this same Bible task you to give to the needy by force else you face eternal damnation. Like it's an obligation? Why must the Bible dictate how a man spends his sweat and what to do with it. It's even as bad as saying it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.. Very pathetic.

So, if the Bible God demands that to follow Him, you should rid yourself of all that you have acquired up to the point in question, what are you going to do about it? Walk away or Obey?
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Faithful4real(m): 4:53pm On May 18, 2020
Is a lie oooh. The Bible did not encourage you to be poor.
Abraham was rich, Job was rich, king David was rich, king Solomon was rich and even the Joseph that buried Jesus was rich.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Kobojunkie: 4:57pm On May 18, 2020
Faithful4real:
Is a lie oooh. The Bible did not encourage you to be poor.
Abraham was rich, Job was rich, king David was rich, king Solomon was rich and even the Joseph that buried Jesus was rich.
The men you listed acquired the riches you speak of AFTER they found God, not before.

The @OP is not wrong in her assertion that God does demand that you die to self(ego, family, friends, possessions etc.) in order to become God's. Jesus was clear about this requirement for anyone who wants to be His follower.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Faithful4real(m): 4:59pm On May 18, 2020
Kobojunkie:

The men you listed acquired the riches you speak of [b]AFTER [/b]they found God, not before.

Yeah.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Twinkletwin: 5:10pm On May 18, 2020
madone:
my friend shut it the op is intelligent and he's saying the truth your pastors are afraid to tell you.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Twinkletwin: 5:13pm On May 18, 2020
madone:
grin

that is how poor and aspiring online audio money eeeeeeeeediots talk. have u heard that money don't like noise.
I testify that it's not audio money and he's saved so many lives and family from hunger and hardship. Please bring forth who can testify for you.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Twinkletwin: 5:16pm On May 18, 2020
YongeeB4431:

Bro Abeg help me with any amount 1380274861 Access bank Basit Agunbiade Thank you God bless
He doesn't need to prove to you
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Jafaar: 5:21pm On May 18, 2020
just pity you op and all the people supporting not helping the poor ,it is clearly demanded. example the rich man and lazarus
Hell is waiting for you if you don't distribute your wealth,you will be shocked on the last day you will be burning hell and the money you said you worked hard for will not save you and that poor man you said was lazy will be at the right hand of God.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 5:25pm On May 18, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So, if the Bible God demands that to follow Him, you should rid yourself of all that you have acquired up to the point in question, what are you going to do about it? Walk away or Obey?
Remember the book of luke 18 verse 18 where a rich man asked Jesus what he must do to have eternal life and avoid damnation.

Jesus simply told him as seen in verse 22 that Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me

Can you just imagine? Encourage someone to sell off his sweat and be poor all for him to enjoy eternal life? The Bible simply encourages people to be poor . It's so pathetic.

Cc Twinkletwin

6 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On May 18, 2020
Jafaar:
just pity you op and all the people supporting not helping the poor ,it is clearly demanded. example the rich man and lazarus
Hell is waiting for you if you don't distribute your wealth,you will be shocked on the last day you will be burning hell and the money you said you worked hard for will not save you and that poor man you said was lazy will be at the right hand of God.

This has nothing primarily to do with supporting the poor. The poor are not meant to be imbeciles in all of this. Even they are meant to abandon even the little they have acquired in order to follow God, so please don't even pretend God is about the poor just for the sake of the poor.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Jafaar: 5:31pm On May 18, 2020
it is not easy to go to heaven,I won't be shocked that out of the billions that have left this world and currently,the won't be up to 500,000 that will enter heaven
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Twinkletwin: 5:33pm On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Remember the book of luke 18 verse 18 where a rich man asked Jesus what he must do to have eternal life and avoid damnation.

Jesus simply told him as seen in verse 22 that Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me

Can you just imagine? Encourage someone to sell off his sweat and be poor all for him to enjoy eternal life? The Bible simply encourages people to be poor . It's so pathetic.

Cc Twinkletwin
religion technology and politics are the problem of this world today. I could clearly remembered the first day I met you on NL what you told me and what you did saved my life till today.. I can't imagine all religion wants us to suffer. Too bad am thinking straight now and I thank God for meeting you. I don't force or try to kill myself over any religious matter above me anymore. I could remember I had no food no hope but believed it's compulsory I had to still fast. I can remember poor people will have to donate to a rich pastor all in the name of religion.

5 Likes

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Jafaar: 5:34pm On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Cc Twinkletwin
not literally, Jesus always spoke in parables,he could mean help everyone who needs help,I know it is hard but you are valuing your money above him

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On May 18, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Cc Twinkletwin
Well, if you consider the men who eventually became Jesus' disciples --they many not have been announced to us as rich men prior --they each also had something going for them before Jesus showed up. If you recall, Peter and his brother Andrew were fisherman by profession at the time Jesus called them. They too were required to, and abandoned all to follow Christ. Peter and Andrew left their career, obligations, family etc. in order to follow Christ. I believe Peter may have been married at the time too, but he chose to follow Jesus Christ.
These men lived homeless for a period, and ate from the foot left in the fields for the poor, and the foreigners, in Israel at the time.

So, the request to abandon all was not made just to the rich man, it is made to everyone who wants to partake in the life and covenant that is Jesus. Think of it as one of the price to pay for entry into this ULTIMATE club.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 5:42pm On May 18, 2020
Twinkletwin:
religion technology and politics are the problem of this world today. I could clearly remembered the first day I met you on NL what you told me and what you did saved my life till today.. I can't imagine all religion wants us to suffer. Too bad am thinking straight now and I thank God for meeting you. I don't force or try to kill myself over any religious matter above me anymore. I could remember I had no food no hope but believed it's compulsory I had to still fast. I can remember poor people will have to donate to a rich pastor all in the name of religion.
What exactly was what I said and did? Can't remember.
Re: Why Does The Bible Condemn The Rich And Encourage You To Be Poor Instead? by KingAzubuike(f): 5:45pm On May 18, 2020
Jafaar:
not literally, Jesus always spoke in parables,he could mean help everyone who needs help,I know it is hard but you are valuing your money above him
It's not like I'm valueing money above him, it's simply meaningless to be authoritative over a persons wealth. God is supposed to answer the cries of the poor but instead, he tasked the rich to help them. Why should that be so? It's his duty not the duty of another man. And to make matters worse, he threatens them with eternal damnation because they refused to give? Why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Wrote The Bible.? / Twenty Questions Atheists Struggle To Answer / 1st Loveworld International Music And Arts Awards 2016 With Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.