Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,908 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies (11271 Views)

Suri Tribeswomen Of Ethiopia Who Wear Large Lip Plate To Determine Worth In Cows / List Of Traditional Rulers And Communities In Anambra State / Rivers State First Class Kings, Traditional Rulers (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 06, 2017
• Amha Selassie (1914-97 AD)

- He was one of the son of emperor Haileselassie and considered to be the last nominal emperor of Ethiopia (the last real emperor of Ethiopia is his father Haileselassie).

1 Share

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 23, 2017
• Ras Abebe Arega (1903-60 AD)

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 31, 2017
• Heruy Woldeselassie (1878-1939 AD)

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 31, 2017
• Dejazmatch Gebreselassie

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2018
Can you tell me about the Yejju reign of Ethiopia in the late 1700s. What series of events led up to this and what happened afterwards?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 04, 2018
9jakool:
Can you tell me about the Yejju reign of Ethiopia in the late 1700s. What series of events led up to this and what happened afterwards?
Ok. First, the Yejju were Oromo ppl who migrated to Angot province, northern Ethiopia in late 16th century and laid to the Christian civilizations there.

In 18th century, there was an emperor named Iyosa. His mother was a Yejju galla (Wollo Oromo). The court language is Amaregn (Amharic), but he spoke more Oromo language than Amaregn and favored more his mother Oromo relatives than his grandmother Qwara Amhara relatives. His Qwara Amhara relatives who felt annihilated called their relative army from Qwara, but his mother also called her Oromo relatives from Yejju. But this potential confrontation was halted when the Qwarans called Ras Mikael Seul of Tigray. He then deported and killed emperor Iyaos. This marked the start of the Zemene Mesafint era (it was a chaos era in which regional lords were the real rulers of the country and the emperors were just symbol). But few years after this, Michael Seul was killed and the era of Yejju dynasty of Zemene Mesafint started.

During the Yejju rule, there was a civil war and the country was thrown to a chaos. Life was mass for the peasants. But after 80s years of this, a brilliant man named Kassa defeated the Yejjus and re-established central authority in 1855. He wasn't from the royal family, but he proclaimed himself emperor under the name "Tewodros II" using a medieval prophecy. This also maked the beginning of the modern history of Ethiopia.
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 04, 2018
• Emperor Yohannes I (1640-82 AD)

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 04, 2018
• Ras Asrate Kassa (1922-74 AD)

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2018
• Dejazmach Hailesellasie Abayneh

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 04, 2018
• Ras Imru Haileselassie (1892-1980 AD)

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 4:23am On Jan 05, 2018
Hati13:

Ok. First, the Yejju were Oromo ppl who migrated to Angot province, northern Ethiopia in late 16th century and laid to the Christian civilizations there.

In 18th century, there was an emperor named Iyosa. His mother was a Yejju galla (Wollo Oromo). The court language is Amaregn (Amharic), but he spoke more Oromo language than Amaregn and favored more his mother Oromo relatives than his grandmother Qwara Amhara relatives. His Qwara Amhara relatives who felt annihilated called their relative army from Qwara, but his mother also called her Oromo relatives from Yejju. But this potential confrontation was halted when the Qwarans called Ras Mikael Seul of Tigray. He then deported and killed emperor Iyaos. This marked the start of the Zemene Mesafint era (it was a chaos era in which regional lords were the real rulers of the country and the emperors were just symbol). But few years after this, Michael Seul was killed and the era of Yejju dynasty of Zemene Mesafint started.

During the Yejju rule, there was a civil war and the country was thrown to a chaos. Life was mass for the peasants. But after 80s years of this, a brilliant man named Kassa defeated the Yejjus and re-established central authority in 1855. He wasn't from the royal family, but he proclaimed himself emperor under the name "Tewodros II" using a medieval prophecy. This also maked the beginning of the modern history of Ethiopia.

Ok I saw somewhere that there was a civil war and the empire was under different warlords. Was Gondar ever conquered by the Yejjus?

I've been thinking about what you said on the Oromo expansion and assimilation across Ethiopia. I think its fascinating. I'm a strongly for language/cutural preservation, so it's not surprise that I like to research into these things. I was looking at ethnolinguistic groups in Southwestern part of Ethiopia that were assimilated as a result of the Oromo expansion. Many ethnic groups like Hadiya, Sidamo, Gonga,Amhara and Somalis were assimilated in great numbers due to their expansion. I was looking at the kingdoms of Kaffa, Enarrea, Garo, and Janjero in Western Ethiopia. Also to my surprise I didn't know that cities like Dire Dawa and Jimma were not originally founded by the Oromo and that many of the people assimilated into Oromo.
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 5:10am On Jan 05, 2018
9jakool:

Ok I saw somewhere that there was a civil war and the empire was under different warlords. Was Gondar ever conquered by the Yejjus?
Yes it was. The Yejju also changed the court language which was Amaregn to Oromo. Tewodros II didn't liked Yejju and other Oromos and when he came to power, he punishment many of them. His letter to Queen Victoria said that, my father simply gave the country to galla (Oromo). And I do think he was right.

9jakool:

I've been thinking about what you said on the Oromo expansion and assimilation across Ethiopia. I think its fascinating. I'm a strongly for language/cutural preservation, so it's not surprise that I like to research into these things. I was looking at ethnolinguistic groups in Southwestern part of Ethiopia that were assimilated as a result of the Oromo expansion. Many ethnic groups like Hadiya, Sidamo, Gonga,Amhara and Somalis were assimilated in great numbers due to their expansion. I was looking at the kingdoms of Kaffa, Enarrea, Garo, and Janjero in Western Ethiopia. Also to my surprise I didn't know that cities like Dire Dawa and Jimma were not originally founded by the Oromo and that many of the people assimilated into Oromo.
You seems to know Ethiopian history very well. Good. Most of the so called students here don't even know what Yejju means.

You are right. Dira Dawa founded by Somalia, before Oromo and then Amhara went there. But Jimma was founded by Oromo after their expansion.

You are right about Oromo assimilation. They are expert in cleansing other ppl identity, so they can turn their enemy into one of their own. They were also cruel during their expansion and had slaughtered, mutated the male reproductive organ and female breast and enslaved many Ethiopians. Some of them had extensively mixed with many Amhara that Tigre elders call us half galla (half Oromo). My father was Shewan Amhara, so I won't be surprised if he had some extent of Oromo blood.

By the way, the nowadays Amhara are very different from the original Amhara. Nowadays, Amhara is very heterogeneous, while in past they were homogeneous and had more finer features. Menz Amhara are now the purest Amhara compared to other and they feel superior over other Amhara because of this. They negatively call other Amhara "mixed or half galla (half Oromo)".
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 9:58am On Jan 05, 2018
Hati13:

Yes it was. The Yejju also changed the court language which was Amaregn to Oromo. Tewodros II didn't liked Yejju and other Oromos and when he came to power, he punishment many of them. His letter to Queen Victoria said that, my father simply gave the country to galla (Oromo). And I don't think he is right.

You seems to know Ethiopian history very well. Good. Most of the so called students here don't even know what Yejju means.

You are right. Dira Dawa founded by Somalia, before Oromo and then Amhara went there. But Jimma was founded by Oromo after their expansion.

You are right about Oromo assimilation. They are expert in cleansing other ppl identity, so they can turn their enemy into one of their own. They were also cruel during their expansion and had slaughtered, mutated the male reproductive organ and female breast and enslaved many Ethiopians. Some of them had extensively mixed with many Amhara that Tigre elders call us half galla (half Oromo). My father was Shewan Amhara, so I won't be surprised if he had some extent of Oromo blood.

By the way, the nowadays Amhara are very different from the original Amhara. Nowadays, Amhara is very heterogeneous, while in past they were homogeneous and had more finer features. Menz Amhara are now the purest Amhara compared to other and they feel superior over other Amhara because of this. They negatively call other Amhara "mixed or half galla (half Oromo)".

I guess this is one of the reason why there is a slight tension between some Oromos and Amhara. Vengeance is a cycle that repeats itself, so it's important to learn to forgive and move foward even if it's hard.

No, I don't think I know Ethiopian history that well. I just love studying African history in general. I used to be very ignorant. I think it's important for people to understand the why things are the way they are and learn through multiple perspectives.

I've read on the gross atrocities committed during their expansion. Even with his, one must learn to not be hateful and forgive. The sins of one's ancestors should never be paid for by the blood of the descendants. The only responsibility for the descendants to uphold is for them to recognize the past, because only when you seek reconciliation can you come to terms with the meaning of one's identity. Although on a much larger scale, this kind of reminds me of the assimilation and genocide atrocities committed by the Ottomans.

Speaking on the mixing that took place. I think the term pure vs unpure is not something to be obsessed about because identity is fluid. You may have identified as Amhara today, but 3,000 years ago, your ancestors were likely not. I'm sure everyone's had close interaction with other ethnic groups in the past before. Also, is there a transition zone between Tigray and Amhara where the two cultures meet?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 05, 2018
9jakool:

I guess this is one of the reason why there is a slight tension between some Oromos and Amhara. Vengeance is a cycle that repeats itself, so it's important to learn to forgive and move foward even if it's hard.

No, I don't think I know Ethiopian history that well. I just love studying African history in general. I used to be very ignorant. I think it's important for people to understand the why things are the way they are and learn through multiple perspectives.

I've read on the gross atrocities committed during their expansion. Even with his, one must learn to not be hateful and forgive. The sins of one's ancestors should never be paid for by the blood of the descendants. The only responsibility for the descendants to uphold is for them to recognize the past, because only when you seek reconciliation can you come to terms with the meaning of one's identity. Although on a much larger scale, this kind of reminds me of the assimilation and genocide atrocities committed by the Ottomans.

Speaking on the mixing that took place. I think the term pure vs unpure is not something to be obsessed about because identity is fluid. You may have identified as Amhara today, but 3,000 years ago, your ancestors were likely not. I'm sure everyone's had close interaction with other ethnic groups in the past before. Also, is there a transition zone between Tigray and Amhara where the two cultures meet?

Truly said. What we need is reconciliation and I like your positiveness.

Yes, there is a translation. Southern Tigre is bordered by Amara.

I also read that the atrocities and assimilation committed by Ottoman Turks was brutal. Is the claim that most of the ppl who identify themselves as as Turkeys are the assimilated ones (Greeks, Armenias and others)?

Which West Africa civilization will you recommend me to read it detail?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 1:26am On Jan 06, 2018
Hati13:

Truly said. What we need is reconciliation and I like your positiveness.

Yes, there is a translation. Southern Tigre is bordered by Amara.

I also read that the atrocities and assimilation committed by Ottoman Turks was brutal. Is the claim that most of the ppl who identify themselves as as Turkeys are the assimilated ones (Greeks, Armenias and others)?

Which West Africa civilization will you recommend me to read it detail?
Ameseginalehu! smiley

ok. Is there a linguistic transition in South Tigray where their is a mix of Amharaic and Tigrinya speakers or a Tigrinya dialect with Amharic influence.

Choose whatever you find interesting in West African history. I don't think I should dictate your interest.

The Ottomans committed a lot of genocide and atrocities. They practiced a form of blood tax known as devshirme where they captured young boys from their parents in the Balkan, convert them to Islam and train them to serve the empire (basically turkify then). The Turkification process was slow and took over a millennial. Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians, Jews, and other non Turks in the empire were given secondary status as Dhimis. They were given the option to convert and be assimilated, be killed, or pay a hefty jizya tax. Through a process of Turkification, Anatolia(Turkey) transformed from a majority orthodox population and a minority Tukic population to a majority Turkish and muslim population. The Armenians and Assyrians were wiped out from their native land in Eastern Turkey and the Greeks from Western Turkey. There was even Turkification that took place in the Arab and Aramaic speaking populations in the South.

The Armenian/Greek/Assyrian genocides were the last and final stage of Turkification. The Ottomans needed a systematic way to exterminate the millions of Armenians, Greeks, and Assyrian in their empire to stop their growing nationalism/rebellion which would threaten its power. They basically round up people in the villages and massacred them. To give you a scale, the Ottoman soldiers were adamant about "wasting" their bullets so they would use devious often more sinister methods to inflict pain and death. This include throwing people off cliffs, mass burnings of entire villages and their inhabitants, performing medical experiments of deadly diseases on people, drowning of civilians, and starving people. Turkish commanders were instructed to do how they pleases with the women so many women were raped or sold into sexual slavery. One of the more scale was concentration camps and death marches. The Nazis did not invent death marches. Many were deported from their homeland into concentration camps and thousands of people include children were forced to march across the Syrian desert without food or water. It's said that bone remains of the Armenians is scattered all over the Syrian desert. Millions of properties and valuable possession (like gold) were confiscated. Artwork in churches were plastered down and the buildings were converted to mosques. The genocide inevitably lead to the Armenian diaspora. Many Armenians fled to Syria and Lebanon where they were welcomed by the Levantine Arabs. Others migrated to countries like Russia. This is no surprise because Syria, Lebanon, and Russia are some of the few countries that have recognized the genocide. Some Western countries like UK and USA haven't officially recognized the genocide, because they want to be on the good side with Turkey. After the genocide, there was a population exchange between Greece and Turkey where the native Greek population in Western Turkey were exchanged for the Turks living in Greece. Also, although many Kurds turned against their Armenian/Assyrian in aiding the Ottoman's extermination campaigns, some helped the Armenians. They helped house and shelter many of them during the massacres. Many were able to disguise their identity by changing their names, marrying, converting to Islam, and becoming Kurdish or Turkish. Till today, there are perhaps hundred of thousands of crypto (hidden) Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks in Turkey with lost or forgotten ancestry. So yes, Turkey is a nation built on the tear, soul, and blood of millions of people. The people of Turkey are a product of assimilation. If you think about it, the original Turks that migrated from Central Asia look different from the people in modern day Turkey.

Why did I bring all of this up? I think assimilation is a common theme across the world. When we assimilate whether through peaceful means like immigration or violent ways like genocide, we forget our original identity. In talking about reconciliation, countries like Germany after the holocaust reconciled with their past and acknowledged their role in the holocaust. On the other hand, countries like Turkey have not recognized or even acknowledge that there was a genocide of the Armenians, Greeks, and Assyrians. In effect, they have never closed the wounds from the past and they would never come to terms with their identity unless they recognize their past.

2 Likes

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 06, 2018
9jakool:

Ameseginalehu! smiley

ok. Is there a linguistic transition in South Tigray where their is a mix of Amharaic and Tigrinya speakers or a Tigrinya dialect with Amharic influence.

Choose whatever you find interesting in West African history. I don't think I should dictate your interest.

The Ottomans committed a lot of genocide and atrocities. They practiced a form of blood tax known as devshirme where they captured young boys from their parents in the Balkan, convert them to Islam and train them to serve the empire (basically turkify then). The Turkification process was slow and took over a millennial. Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians, Jews, and other non Turks in the empire were given secondary status as Dhimis. They were given the option to convert and be assimilated, be killed, or pay a hefty jizya tax. Through a process of Turkification, Anatolia(Turkey) transformed from a majority orthodox population and a minority Tukic population to a majority Turkish and muslim population. The Armenians and Assyrians were wiped out from their native land in Eastern Turkey and the Greeks from Western Turkey. There was even Turkification that took place in the Arab and Aramaic speaking populations in the South.

The Armenian/Greek/Assyrian genocides were the last and final stage of Turkification. The Ottomans needed a systematic way to exterminate the millions of Armenians, Greeks, and Assyrian in their empire to stop their growing nationalism/rebellion which would threaten its power. They basically round up people in the villages and massacred them. To give you a scale, the Ottoman soldiers were adamant about "wasting" their bullets so they would use devious often more sinister methods to inflict pain and death. This include throwing people off cliffs, mass burnings of entire villages and their inhabitants, performing medical experiments of deadly diseases on people, drowning of civilians, and starving people. Turkish commanders were instructed to do how they pleases with the women so many women were raped or sold into sexual slavery. One of the more scale was concentration camps and death marches. The Nazis did not invent death marches. Many were deported from their homeland into concentration camps and thousands of people include children were forced to march across the Syrian desert without food or water. It's said that bone remains of the Armenians is scattered all over the Syrian desert. Millions of properties and valuable possession (like gold) were confiscated. Artwork in churches were plastered down and the buildings were converted to mosques. The genocide inevitably lead to the Armenian diaspora. Many Armenians fled to Syria and Lebanon where they were welcomed by the Levantine Arabs. Others migrated to countries like Russia. This is no surprise because Syria, Lebanon, and Russia are some of the few countries that have recognized the genocide. Some Western countries like UK and USA haven't officially recognized the genocide, because they want to be on the good side with Turkey. After the genocide, there was a population exchange between Greece and Turkey where the native Greek population in Western Turkey were exchanged for the Turks living in Greece. Also, although many Kurds turned against their Armenian/Assyrian in aiding the Ottoman's extermination campaigns, some helped the Armenians. They helped house and shelter many of them during the massacres. Many were able to disguise their identity by changing their names, marrying, converting to Islam, and becoming Kurdish or Turkish. Till today, there are perhaps hundred of thousands of crypto (hidden) Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks in Turkey with lost or forgotten ancestry. So yes, Turkey is a nation built on the tear, soul, and blood of millions of people. The people of Turkey are a product of assimilation. If you think about it, the original Turks that migrated from Central Asia look different from the people in modern day Turkey.

Why did I bring all of this up? I think assimilation is a common theme across the world. When we assimilate whether through peaceful means like immigration or violent ways like genocide, we forget our original identity. In talking about reconciliation, countries like Germany after the holocaust reconciled with their past and acknowledged their role in the holocaust. On the other hand, countries like Turkey have not recognized or even acknowledge that there was a genocide of the Armenians, Greeks, and Assyrians. In effect, they have never closed the wounds from the past and they would never come to terms with their identity unless they recognize their past.
Amaregn had influenced Tigrinya (not just in the board, but in general Tigre region. By the way, Amaregn and Tigrinya aren't that close like some ppl say. They very different if you look at it from Ethiosemitic languages perspective. Tigrinya is a north Ethiosemitic, while Amaregn is south Ethiosemitic language.

Is there a huge desire by Greeks, Armenias and others who were affected by Turkey to take back their ancestors lands? For example, does Greek has a plan to take back Istanbul (Constantinople)?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 8:27am On Jan 07, 2018
Hati13:

Amaregn had influenced Tigrinya (not just in the board, but in general Tigre region. By the way, Amaregn and Tigrinya aren't that close like some ppl say. They very different if you look at it from Ethiosemitic languages perspective. Tigrinya is a north Ethiosemitic, while Amaregn is south Ethiosemitic language.

Is there a huge desire by Greeks, Armenias and others who were affected by Turkey to take back their ancestors lands? For example, does Greek has a plan to take back Istanbul (Constantinople)?
I don't know the answer to this question, but after the Ottomans lost WW1, the treaty of Sevres was drafted by the western nations to carve up the Ottoman territories in the Middle East. For example, The British colonized Iraq and Palestine etc., while the French took Syria, Lebanon, etc. Parts of the Turkish Anatolia and Eastern Thrace were supposed to be given to Greeks, Armenians, and Kurdish, but this didn't really materialized.

Back to the Ethiopian languages. I heard that the Gurages are speaker of South Semitic languages. Is Amaregna closer to the Gurage languages than it is to Tigrigna? Also why do you think speakers of Gurage and Harari are geographically cut off from the bulk of the Semitic Speaking populations in Northern Ethiopia?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 07, 2018
9jakool:

I don't know the answer to this question, but after the Ottomans lost WW1, the treaty of Sevres was drafted by the western nations to carve up the Ottoman territories in the Middle East. For example, The British colonized Iraq and Palestine etc., while the French took Syria, Lebanon, etc. Parts of the Turkish Anatolia and Eastern Thrace were supposed to be given to Greeks, Armenians, and Kurdish, but this didn't really materialized.

Back to the Ethiopian languages. I heard that the Gurages are speaker of South Semitic languages. Is Amaregna closer to the Gurage languages than it is to Tigrigna? Also why do you think speakers of Gurage and Harari are geographically cut off from the bulk of the Semitic Speaking populations in Northern Ethiopia?
Ok. I asked because someone once told me that there is a huge desire to reclaim Istanbul and rename it Constantinople.

By the way, today is our Christmas. What is your religion if I may ask?

Yes, Amaregn is closer to Guragegn than Tigrinya. Gurage and Harari are cut from northern Ethiopians, because their ancestors migrated deep to Ethiopia during the late 1st millennium BC.

The below illustration shows when Ethiosemitic and Semitic languages in general separated. For now, this is the best explanation, but in future it might be reformed.

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 4:11am On Jan 08, 2018
Hati13:

Ok. I asked because someone once told me that there is a huge desire to reclaim Istanbul and rename it Constantinople.

By the way, today is our Christmas. What is your religion if I may ask?

Yes, Amaregn is closer to Guragegn than Tigrinya. Gurage and Harari are cut from northern Ethiopians, because their ancestors migrated deep to Ethiopia during the late 1st millennium BC.

The below illustration shows when Ethiosemitic and Semitic languages in general separated. For now, this is the best explanation, but in future it might be reformed.

I forgot to wish you a merry Christmas! I'm aware that it's the orthodox tradition. Do you celebrate on the 25th of December in addition? I only say this because of the substantial Pentay population in Ethiopia.
I identify myself as a humanist and a believer of God.

Ok, the language chart is deeply interesting to me. According to that, neither Amaregna and Tigrinya are descendants of Ge'ez. I've already known that Tigrinya is closer to Ge'ez, but I didn't know that Ge'ez isn't the common ancestor, at least according to that model.
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 08, 2018
9jakool:

I forgot to wish you a merry Christmas! I'm aware that it's the orthodox tradition. Do you celebrate on the 25th of December in addition? I only say this because of the substantial Pentay population in Ethiopia.
I identify myself as a humanist and a believer of God.

Ok, the language chart is deeply interesting to me. According to that, neither Amaregna and Tigrinya are descendants of Ge'ez. I've already known that Tigrinya is closer to Ge'ez, but I didn't know that Ge'ez isn't the common ancestor, at least according to that model.
There might be few Ethiopians who celebrate December 25 Christmas, but almost all Christian Ethiopians celebrate the Orthodox Christmas only.

About your belief as being Humanist, I've read about at as being a product during the European renaissance. What is it's basic belief/s?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2018
Hati13:

There might be few Ethiopians who celebrate December 25 Christmas, but almost all Christian Ethiopians celebrate the Orthodox Christmas only.

About your belief as being Humanist, I've read about at as being a product during the European renaissance. What is it's basic belief/s?

Do Pentays celebrate it on January 7th?
No, I'm not talking about that kind of humanism. I'm talking about the other definition. I just believe in human values like helping others and doing general good.
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 08, 2018
9jakool:

Do Pentays celebrate it on January 7th?
No, I'm not talking about that kind of humanism. I'm talking about the other definition. I just believe in human values like helping others and doing general good.
As far as I know, Pentays (Protestant) also only celebrate the Orthodox Christmas. But there might be some who I'm not aware of them.

Ok now I understand. What kind of God do you worship?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by 9jakool: 11:41pm On Jan 08, 2018
Hati13:

As far as I know, Pentays (Protestant) also only celebrate the Orthodox Christmas. But there might be some who I'm not aware of them.

Ok now I understand. What kind of God do you worship?

I don't know what you mean. There are many kinds of God? I only believe in one God "Eledumare".
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 09, 2018
9jakool:

I don't know what you mean. There are many kinds of God? I only believe in one God "Eledumare".
Ok, thanks for your answers.
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 24, 2018
• Princess Tsehai (1919-42)

- She was one of the daughter of emperor Haileselassie.

1 Like

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 20, 2018
• Lieutenant-General Abiye Abebe (1917-74)

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 20, 2018
Hati13:
• Lieutenant-General Abiye Abebe (1917-74)
Who is the incoming Prime Minister?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 10:13pm On Feb 20, 2018
Muafrika2:

Who is the incoming Prime Minister?
It hasn't been decided yet (at least no the ordinary population don't know).

1 Like

Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Olu317(m): 8:47am On Feb 21, 2018
@Hati13,what is the meaning of Abiye?
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 21, 2018
Olu317:
@Hati13,what is the meaning of Abiye?
It means very important
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by Olu317(m): 6:31pm On Feb 21, 2018
Hati13:
It means very important
Oh I see. Thanks .
Re: Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies by fanficgirl(f): 8:27pm On Mar 25, 2018
Hati13:
• Emperor Tewodros II (1818-68 AD)

This man is always so handsome to me grin. Was he not the Mad King? The one that United all the Feudal Kingdoms and had that insane love affair grin. He tried to use the British to industralize and improve the empire. You should make a thread about his son. I heard he was taking to Britain after Tewodros was defeated and killed sad
Handsomeness seems to run in that family
Also didn't Ethiopia just recently get rid of its Prime Minister after Protests? I'm trying to get back on my African history grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dating A Nigerian Guy In China / Igbinedion University Honours Oluwo With Doctorate Degree / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.