Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,090 members, 7,953,318 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:05 PM

5 Reasons Why Youths Should Choose Agriculture - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 5 Reasons Why Youths Should Choose Agriculture (985 Views)

Reasons Why Youth Should Choose Agriculture / 5 Reasons Why Farming Is Attractive In Nigeria / A Lawyer's Perspective On Agriculture And Why Youths Need To Embrace Farming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Youths Should Choose Agriculture by maxipharo(m): 1:26pm On Oct 31, 2017
What type of career do you aspire to have? Do you want to be a doctor, a business oriented, or a policymaker? Or, have you ever wanted to become a farmer? I would not be surprised if you said no.
When weighing career choices, many young people in the developing world tend to shy away from agriculture. I, too, once found myself unhappy by the small villages and farms I grew up seeing every day. As the conventional belief goes, agriculture means an old-fashioned lifestyle and a future with limited opportunities for youth.
But I later learned I was wrong. Plenty of evidence shows us that agriculture provides youth a viable way to harvest success and grow a sustainable future. In other words, I believe youth can, and should, choose agriculture. Here are five reasons:
1. Agriculture matters to the future of development.
When it comes to fighting poverty, agriculture is more effective than other sectors. Increasingly, the world is counting on agriculture to produce more nutritious food for world and improve the livelihoods of a booming population, especially the poor. What could be more meaningful than being part of a proven solution to such a critical challenge?
2. The trend of youth choosing agriculture is growing.
Attitudes toward agriculture are already changing. In Nigeria, where agriculture is becoming more competitive, young educated Nigerians “have decided to become farmers, acquire land, grow water melon and cucumber professionally for trade, and manage their enterprises in order to earn a living,” according to an agricultural expert working with local farmers. Other countries like Kenya, Malawi, and Senegal are investing in youth and agriculture with the support from the World Bank Group and other developmental organizations. Young people are also increasingly speaking up for themselves on why they choose agriculture.
3. Agriculture can be a gold mine for young entrepreneurs.
Meet Rotimi Williams, a young entrepreneur from Nigeria. A former journalist, is the owner of Kereksuk Rice farm in Nasarawa state, the second largest commercial rice farm in Nigeria through agribusiness, Williams has not only carved out a successful career of his own, but also helped local farmers reach global markets, and create jobs for other young people. Think about how you can also start up a business in agriculture to help both yourself and the rural poor.
4. Innovations for Transparency
Today, E-farming is fast growing in Nigeria. E-farming is gaining more popularity with the increasing number of people who are gaining internet access and are becoming IT literate. Countries like Kenya and Rwanda are also boosting productivity through information and communication technologies and other creative solutions. Agriculture in the developing world has become a field vibrant with effective innovations, thanks to a growing number of young techie minds that make it happen.
5. Agricultural research needs young brainpower.
If you are a “young nerd” into development research, agriculture may be the right place for you. Numerous stories from East Africa and other places have shown that research revolutionizes agriculture and transforms livelihoods. Today, more than before, climate change and a growing demand for nutritious food are for fresh ideas and renewed knowledge to explore ICT in agriculture, foster climate-smart agriculture and innovate in the sector to power future growth.
The trend is growing. Support for the agriculture sector is increasing. The list of reasons is endless.
www.agricincome.com

(1) (Reply)

Acres of land for sale In Ibadan South With Survey Plan / Join Basic Pig Farming Training Via Whatsapp For Free. / Invest in Plantain Farm With Westagro Farm and Get Return every 6months!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.