Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode (2110 Views)

Regina: Canada Government sends message to Igbos living in the country / Outrage As APC Moves To Punish Igbos, Says 99.9% Voted Atiku / "Go To Ghana, Go To Cameroon, Go To Gambia, You Will Be Proud Of The Igbos" Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 5:49am On Nov 01, 2017
Mr. Fani-Kayode accused the Lagos governor of double standards. A former Minister of Aviation has lashed out at Babatunde Fashola, the Lagos State Governor, over the latter’s decision to apologize to the Igbos following the deportation of beggars and destitute people to Anambra State. Femi Fani-Kayode, on Friday, said that the only redeeming factor is that the apology was designed to calm “frayed nerves.” “There can be little doubt that the relocation of the 19 Igbo destitutes from Lagos state a few months ago was a lawful exercise and that it was done in the interest of Lagos State,” Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “Consequently I do not believe that Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola ought to have tendered any form of apology whatsoever to the Igbo for what he did,” he added. Speaking at an event to mark the Silver Jubilee of Aka Ikenga, an Igbo socio-cultural body, on Thursday, Mr. Fashola had tendered an “unreserved apology” to the Igbos for the row generated by the deportation. “I came here to say thank you for the honour done to my family and the memory of my late father,” Mr. Fashola told the gathering of Igbo statesmen. “People who clearly do not understand the actions taken and words spoken are those I owe an explanation. I cannot take the Igbos for granted because we have built a relationship based on tolerance, mutual respect, love and trust. “That relationship was built by our ancestors and I put a lot of value in that relationship. “I offer an unreserved apology if the actions taken had been misunderstood,” Mr. Fashola had added. Mr. Fani-Kayode insisted that the Lagos State governor did not apologize for the deportation. “The only redeeming factor is the fact that the apology was obviously designed simply to calm frayed nerves and I commend Fashola for that gesture if nothing else,” the former minister said. “I say this because my understanding is that he apologised NOT for the deportation itself but for ‘the misunderstanding that arose from it’. There is a world of difference between the two,” he added. On July 24, the Lagos State government had deported about 70 destitute people to Onitsha, Anambra State; a move that sparked a heated row between the two states as well as scathing criticisms on both state governors. Another dimension was added to the debate after Orji Kalu, a former Abia State governor, termed Lagos a ‘no man’s land,’ an appellation that added fresh fury to the conversation. Mr. Fani-Kayode accused Mr. Fashola
of betraying the Yorubas who stood by him doing the row generated by the
deportation. “If I were Governor of Lagos state I would never have apologised for the execution of a legitimate and lawful exercise which was absolutely necessary and which was done in the interests of my state and my people, no matter how many cows I had been offered or given by the kinsmen of those affected,” said Mr. Fani-Kayode. “What Fashola has done, albeit inadvertently, is to betray those amongst his Yoruba kith and kin that stood by him and defended him when he took that historic and controversial decision to deport the Igbo destitutes. “He has also fuelled the erroneous impression that is held by most of the Igbo that the Yoruba people and their leaders are bumbling and inconsistent cowards that cannot stand firm when put under pressure and when faced with threats and hardship.” Mr. Fani-Kayode further said that it is important for the Lagos State governor to consider the long term implications of his purported apology to the Igbos. “The truth is that in life perception counts for everything. And rightly or wrongly the perception that most people have, particularly amongst the Igbo, is that Fashola has indeed apologised for the deportations. “This perception is supported by misleading newspaper headlines which were drafted and written by journalists who did not bother to read the text or properly decipher the statement… “In any case now that dishing out apologies is the order of the day and he has set the precedent, the question
has to be asked – will Peter Obi take a cue from that, be a gentleman and apologize for deporting the people of Akwa Ibom from his Anambra state as well? “Is Obi that reasonable or charitable? Do those that think like him believe that what is good for the goose is good for the gander? I doubt it very much. “Again will Fashola apologize to the numerous northerners that he deported from Lagos as well and will he apologize to his Yoruba kith and kin from Oyo and Osun for deporting them too? I really do wonder how far this new-found large-heartedness and seasonal expression of regrets will go? Will it be spread everywhere or is it exclusively reserved for the Igbo?” The ex-minister further accused Mr. Fashola of double standards, capitulation of values, and a revocation of principle. “You don’t apologise for government policy just to appease a certain group of people no matter how bellicose, violent, loud and aggressive they may be,” Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “It is better to lose a million elections outside Yorubaland than to concede even one inch of Yoruba territory to those that seek to lay claim to that which is not theirs. A word is enough for the wise.”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by mikejj(m): 5:54am On Nov 01, 2017
grin how wil this move our country forward.ehn
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by jollymizzle(m): 6:22am On Nov 01, 2017
Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “It is better to lose a million elections outside Yorubaland than to concede even one inch of Yoruba territory to those that seek to lay claim to that which is not theirs. A word is enough for the wise.”

The bolder should serve as a warning to those who believe lagos to be a no man's land, it is unwise to test the patience of the Yoruba, especially when we've been welcoming to all who come to our land to make a living.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by wale0911: 6:32am On Nov 01, 2017
I don't believe FFK would say this. If he really did, then he is also guilty of "triple standard". Today you claim to identity with a people tomorrow you speak shiit against them. Haba Mr Kayode, this addiction is taking a negative tow on you.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Bede2u(m): 6:36am On Nov 01, 2017
jollymizzle:
Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “It is better to lose a million elections outside Yorubaland than to concede even one inch of Yoruba territory to those that seek to lay claim to that which is not theirs. A word is enough for the wise.”

The bolder should serve as a warning to those who believe lagos to be a no man's land, it is unwise to test the patience of the Yoruba, especially when we've been welcoming to all who come to our land to make a living.
Lagos is not your land Mr Man

It is a former FCT and belongs to Nigeria.
If the Minority tribes in lagos team up against you with all these threads u are opening upanda u will know that Lagos never belonged to yorubas

You get allocations from oil in ND but want to claim lagos alone

Keep opening provocative threads... all that is needed is a series of meetings and PDP will bring a Yoruba-fulani from kwara and win lagos state with the help of minority tribes and a few afonjas... may be not now but someday. What will ensure that is silly threads like this. And when that happens, lets see what u can do

4 Likes

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Adonkia(m): 6:44am On Nov 01, 2017
wale0911:
I don't believe FFK would say this. If he really did, then he is also guilty of "triple standard". Today you claim to identity with a people tomorrow you speak shiit against them. Haba Mr Kayode, this addiction is taking a negative tow on you.
Fani-Kayode speaks from the both side of his mouth.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Throwback: 7:10am On Nov 01, 2017
Old news but with valid keypoints.
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Throwback: 7:11am On Nov 01, 2017
Keypoint 1

“The only redeeming factor is the fact that the apology was obviously designed simply to calm frayed nerves and I commend Fashola for that gesture if nothing else,” the former minister said. “I say this because my understanding is that he apologised NOT for the deportation itself but for ‘the misunderstanding that arose from it’. There is a world of difference between the two,” he added. On July 24, the Lagos State government had deported about 70 destitute people to Onitsha, Anambra State; a move that sparked a heated row between the two states as well as scathing criticisms on both state governors.
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Throwback: 7:12am On Nov 01, 2017
Keypoint 2

“In any case now that dishing out apologies is the order of the day and he has set the precedent, the question
has to be asked – will Peter Obi take a cue from that, be a gentleman and apologize for deporting the people of Akwa Ibom from his Anambra state as well? “Is Obi that reasonable or charitable? Do those that think like him believe that what is good for the goose is good for the gander? I doubt it very much. “Again will Fashola apologize to the numerous northerners that he deported from Lagos as well and will he apologize to his Yoruba kith and kin from Oyo and Osun for deporting them too? I really do wonder how far this new-found large-heartedness and seasonal expression of regrets will go? Will it be spread everywhere or is it exclusively reserved for the Igbo?”
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Throwback: 7:12am On Nov 01, 2017
Keypoint 3

The ex-minister further accused Mr. Fashola of double standards, capitulation of values, and a revocation of principle. “You don’t apologise for government policy just to appease a certain group of people no matter how bellicose, violent, loud and aggressive they may be,” Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “It is better to lose a million elections outside Yorubaland than to concede even one inch of Yoruba territory to those that seek to lay claim to that which is not theirs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by python1: 7:20am On Nov 01, 2017
Waiting for the reaction of these beasts pictured below. grin grin grin. Na the same person wey dem dey lick im blkos be dat. grin grin, they will now descend on him, ffk don buy better market grin grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 01, 2017
see how ipob are running from this thread.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 01, 2017
zenmaster how far?
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by laudate: 8:30am On Nov 01, 2017
Throwback:
Keypoint 3
FFK!! The new god of the Igbos. They were quick to place him on a pedestal simply because he supported Kanu. How sad.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 01, 2017
abdelrahman:
zenmaster how far?
Where are your sources? grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 01, 2017
abdelrahman:
Mr. Fani-Kayode accused the Lagos governor of double standards. A former Minister of Aviation has lashed out at Babatunde Fashola, the Lagos State Governor, over the latter’s decision to apologize to the Igbos following the deportation of beggars and destitute people to Anambra State. Femi Fani-Kayode, on Friday, said that the only redeeming factor is that the apology was designed to calm “frayed nerves.” “There can be little doubt that the relocation of the 19 Igbo destitutes from Lagos state a few months ago was a lawful exercise and that it was done in the interest of Lagos State,” Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “Consequently I do not believe that Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola ought to have tendered any form of apology whatsoever to the Igbo for what he did,” he added. Speaking at an event to mark the Silver Jubilee of Aka Ikenga, an Igbo socio-cultural body, on Thursday, Mr. Fashola had tendered an “unreserved apology” to the Igbos for the row generated by the deportation. “I came here to say thank you for the honour done to my family and the memory of my late father,” Mr. Fashola told the gathering of Igbo statesmen. “People who clearly do not understand the actions taken and words spoken are those I owe an explanation. I cannot take the Igbos for granted because we have built a relationship based on tolerance, mutual respect, love and trust. “That relationship was built by our ancestors and I put a lot of value in that relationship. “I offer an unreserved apology if the actions taken had been misunderstood,” Mr. Fashola had added. Mr. Fani-Kayode insisted that the Lagos State governor did not apologize for the deportation. “The only redeeming factor is the fact that the apology was obviously designed simply to calm frayed nerves and I commend Fashola for that gesture if nothing else,” the former minister said. “I say this because my understanding is that he apologised NOT for the deportation itself but for ‘the misunderstanding that arose from it’. There is a world of difference between the two,” he added. On July 24, the Lagos State government had deported about 70 destitute people to Onitsha, Anambra State; a move that sparked a heated row between the two states as well as scathing criticisms on both state governors. Another dimension was added to the debate after Orji Kalu, a former Abia State governor, termed Lagos a ‘no man’s land,’ an appellation that added fresh fury to the conversation. Mr. Fani-Kayode accused Mr. Fashola
of betraying the Yorubas who stood by him doing the row generated by the
deportation. “If I were Governor of Lagos state I would never have apologised for the execution of a legitimate and lawful exercise which was absolutely necessary and which was done in the interests of my state and my people, no matter how many cows I had been offered or given by the kinsmen of those affected,” said Mr. Fani-Kayode. “What Fashola has done, albeit inadvertently, is to betray those amongst his Yoruba kith and kin that stood by him and defended him when he took that historic and controversial decision to deport the Igbo destitutes. “He has also fuelled the erroneous impression that is held by most of the Igbo that the Yoruba people and their leaders are bumbling and inconsistent cowards that cannot stand firm when put under pressure and when faced with threats and hardship.” Mr. Fani-Kayode further said that it is important for the Lagos State governor to consider the long term implications of his purported apology to the Igbos. “The truth is that in life perception counts for everything. And rightly or wrongly the perception that most people have, particularly amongst the Igbo, is that Fashola has indeed apologised for the deportations. “This perception is supported by misleading newspaper headlines which were drafted and written by journalists who did not bother to read the text or properly decipher the statement… “In any case now that dishing out apologies is the order of the day and he has set the precedent, the question
has to be asked – will Peter Obi take a cue from that, be a gentleman and apologize for deporting the people of Akwa Ibom from his Anambra state as well? “Is Obi that reasonable or charitable? Do those that think like him believe that what is good for the goose is good for the gander? I doubt it very much. “Again will Fashola apologize to the numerous northerners that he deported from Lagos as well and will he apologize to his Yoruba kith and kin from Oyo and Osun for deporting them too? I really do wonder how far this new-found large-heartedness and seasonal expression of regrets will go? Will it be spread everywhere or is it exclusively reserved for the Igbo?” The ex-minister further accused Mr. Fashola of double standards, capitulation of values, and a revocation of principle. “You don’t apologise for government policy just to appease a certain group of people no matter how bellicose, violent, loud and aggressive they may be,” Mr. Fani-Kayode said. “It is better to lose a million elections outside Yorubaland than to concede even one inch of Yoruba territory to those that seek to lay claim to that which is not theirs. A word is enough for the wise.”
Source ?
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 01, 2017
Bede2u:

If the Minority tribes in lagos team up against you with all these threads u are opening upanda u will know that Lagos never belonged to yorubas

Keep opening provocative threads... all that is needed is a series of meetings and PDP will bring a Yoruba-fulani from kwara and win lagos state with the help of minority tribes and a few afonjas... may be not now but someday. What will ensure that is silly threads like this. And when that happens, lets see what u can do
So, it belongs to your popman, right? Òdè!

1 Like

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Bede2u(m): 8:38am On Nov 01, 2017
SeanTizzle1:
does it belong to ur own popman? Anù mpama

It belongs to anybody who owns land there

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 01, 2017
SeanTizzle1:
Fashola will know grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by laudate: 8:43am On Nov 01, 2017
Bede2u:
does it belong to ur own popman? Anù mpama

It belongs to anybody who owns land there
Stop bring daft. It is too early in the day for you to start displaying your cluelessness. Go and read up on the history of Lagos. There is a book titled POSSESSED written by Supo Shashore. It captures the origin and political development of Lagos state, beautifully. Kindly read it and educate yourself. In the age of the internet, ignorance is no longer an excuse. It is a disease.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Ovamboland(m): 8:55am On Nov 01, 2017
Bede2u:

Don't your erosion ravaged states get allocation from ND oil? Who even want to claim potopoto land?
What of sambisa Borno state are you not claiming it as no man's land since they collect ND oil allocation every month. When are you joining contest for Emir of Kano seat, they budget 3 billion ND money too o.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Bede2u(m): 9:24am On Nov 01, 2017
Ovamboland:

Don't your erosion ravaged states get allocation from ND oil? Who even want to claim potopoto land?
What of sambisa Borno state are you not claiming it as no man's land since they collect ND oil allocation every month. When are you joining contest for Emir of Kano seat, they budget 3 billion ND money too o.
All these places u mentioned, where they Nigeria's capital city for 86 years?
Okay na chase any non yoruba out of lagos make we see
Fulani people been wan finish una for orile b4.
Ur problem for lagos no be only igbo sef. Una dey claim former fct undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 01, 2017
Bede2u:

All these places u mentioned, where they Nigeria's capital city for 86 years?
Okay na chase any non yoruba out of lagos make we see
Fulani people been wan finish una for orile b4.
Ur problem for lagos no be only igbo sef. Una dey claim former fct undecided
cc oladeebo
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Ngokafor(f): 9:29am On Nov 01, 2017
Ovamboland:

Go and chase Igbos out of Lagos,seizing their houses and properties if you know you have two heads instead of making silly empty noises here..since you are an afonja who owns Lagos state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 01, 2017
Ngokafor:

Go and chase Igbos out of Lagos,seizing their houses and properties if you know you have two heads instead of making silly empty noises here..since you are an afonja who owns Lagos state.
cc oladeebo
Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 01, 2017
Ngokafor:

nobody are chasing igbo from lagos but we won't accept there chestbeating on lagos,yaani they aren't the only ethnic living in lagos.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 01, 2017
abdelrahman:
nobody are chasing igbo from lagos but we won't accept there chestbeating on lagos,yaani they aren't the only ethnic living in lagos.
shocked shocked shocked grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Ngokafor(f): 9:41am On Nov 01, 2017
abdelrahman:

You wont 'accept' what exactly??.As in what precisely can you do about the so-called chest-beating??..The best you can is to get your oduduwa republic,,but since you are all dead against that..kindly suck it up and deal with the consequences of 'One Nigeria' you all love and desire so much..

bye.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Ngokafor(f): 9:43am On Nov 01, 2017
python1:
Waiting for the reaction of these beasts pictured below. grin grin grin. Na the same person wey dem dey lick im blkos be dat. grin grin, they will now descend on him, ffk don buy better market grin grin

I can see you are proud of your family pictures...You never fail to display them in your posts.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by python1: 9:46am On Nov 01, 2017
Ngokafor:

I can see you are proud of your family pictures...You never fail to display them in your posts.
Spotted grin grin grin
But e be like say the thing enter am. grin grin grin E enter am reach there grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by MrEmeritus: 9:56am On Nov 01, 2017
Ngokafor:

You wont 'accept' what exactly??.As in what precisely can you do about the so-called chest-beating??..The best you can is to get your oduduwa republic,,but since you are all dead against that..kindly suck it up and deal with the consequences of 'One Nigeria' you all love and desire so much..

bye.

Ngwakwe, You keep spewing this nonsense on every thread, blaming Yoruba for the failure of your Biafra. Why not direct your anger to your governors, reps and senators instead of crying everyday on nairaland blaming those that don't even care about you. Na wao

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Deportation:fashola Was Wrong To Apologize To Igbos, Says Fani- Kayode by Ngokafor(f): 10:12am On Nov 01, 2017
MrEmeritus:

Ngwakwe, You keep spewing this nonsense on every thread, blaming Yoruba for the failure of your Biafra. Why not direct your anger to your governors, reps and senators instead of crying everyday on nairaland blaming those that don't even care about you. Na wao

Ngwakwe??..which kind madness be this bikonu??..please go take your drugs as fast as possible..

..no be only 'Ngwakwe,its Igbokwe and yorubakwe.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra Shutdown Cripples Nigerian Cities / SE Returned All Its Incompetent Incumbents / -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.