Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,024 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4444801 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by violent(m): 9:32pm On Dec 28, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

If Egypt's military is so strong, how come Israel defeated them in the Six-Day War? The Israeli military captured the Sinai peninsula very easily. And Israel also defeated Syria and Jordan as well. Size does not always matter. That is something that I admire about Israel. They have the strongest military in the Middle East.

Egypt has the largest army in Africa, and the tenth largest in the world. Egyptian equipment and military technology is generally less advanced than Israel's, though it does have much advanced American and European hardware.

Its armored forces are a mix of advanced, Western-made and aging, Soviet-made armored vehicles. Egyptian soldiers are well-equipped and well-trained, but are inferior to Israeli soldiers in terms of weaponry and training. The Egyptian Air Force possesses a modern fleet of aircraft, but without additional technological modifications as Israel does, and the Egyptian Air Force is also outnumbered in terms of aircraft. The Egyptian navy, numbering 120 modern vessels, is comparable in size and technology to the Israeli Navy, but many of its vessels are inferior to their Israeli counterparts.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 9:37pm On Dec 28, 2010
Only two countries military worth mentioning in the whole of Africa is Egypt and South Africa. Both countries have modern armies. And people tend to forget that South Africa used to have the bomb. I am pretty sure they haven't lost that capability yet.

Nigeria does not really have an advanced military.

The most battle hardened militaries in Africa I would say are Ethiopia, Eritrea, Morocco, Mali, Uganda, Rwanda and maybe Angola/Mozambique.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by xterra2(m): 11:28pm On Dec 28, 2010
^^ Um Egypt yes, but not south africa refer to my earlier post just above yours
And about the "bomb" i guess nuclear, and if so , no they dont
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Avenir(m): 1:51am On Dec 29, 2010
Nigeria has (arguably) one of the largest and best military forces in Africa. In terms of the amount o population that can be mobilised into a fighting force, Nigeria comes top in Africa. However, the efficacy of this force is largely undermined by political leadership, tribalism and corruption. This has direct effect on discipline, patriotism and technology, all of which are required for a sustainable military campaign.

The following article from http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/databases/armies/a.asp on military (minus Navy) power ranking makes for interesting read (if you manage to stay awake till the end of the article)

Armed Forces of the World
African Nations
[table][tr][td]Country [/td][td]Rnk[/td][td]Land
Power[/td][td]Tot
Qual[/td][td]Tot
Pop[/td][td]Act
Men[/td][td]Mil
Bud[/td][td]Bud
Man[/td][td]Bud
Man[/td] [td]AFV[/td][td]Air
Cmbt[/td][td]Ldrs[/td][td]Ldrs[/td][td]Eqp[/td][td]Exp[/td][td]Spt[/td][td]Mob[/td][td]Trad[/td][/tr][/table]
Ethiopia 1 141 16 77 $18 140 $350 $2 700 70 6 3 7 4 2 6
Eritrea 2 124 7 5 $1.5 200 $200 $1 400 18 6 2 6 1 1 4
South Africa 3 96 27 44 $290 62 $3900 $63 2300 65 6 4 6 5 5 7
Angola 4 73 10 13 $55 108 $2400 $22 1300 110 6 3 6 2 1 2
Nigeria 5 56 15 135 $160 80 $1000 $12 1200 80 5 3 5 4 3 5

You might be wondering where Egypt is on the ranking. It is right here (Middle East):

Middle East Nations
[table][tr][td]Country [/td][td]Rnk[/td][td]Land
Power[/td][td]Tot
Qual[/td][td]Tot
Pop[/td][td]Act
Men[/td][td]Mil
Bud[/td][td]Bud
Man[/td][td]Bud
Man[/td] [td]AFV[/td][td]Air
Cmbt[/td][td]Ldrs[/td][td]Ldrs[/td][td]Eqp[/td][td]Exp[/td][td]Spt[/td][td]Mob[/td][td]Trad[/td][/tr][/table]
Israel 1 2098 61 6.4 $170 550 $9500 $17 10500 500 9 8 9 3 3 8
Egypt 2 532 26 80 $130 468 $3400 $7 7000 630 6 5 5 3 3 5
Iran 3 453 25 65 $290 545 $7200 $13 2900 350 5 4 7 4 4 6

COLUMN KEY
COUNTRY lists every nation with a combat value of one or more. Nations with a combat value of less than 1 have little more than national police capability. Many smaller countries, especially those that lack a threatening neighbor, use their forces primarily for internal security. These lesser military powers often repel an invasion most effectively simply by arming the population. Nations are grouped into six regions:. European Nations, Middle East Nations, American Nations, East Asian Nations, African Nations, South Asian Nations.

RNK is the ranking of each nation within its region

COMBAT POWER LAND is the total combat capability of the nation's armed forces except for their navies. Certain nations like Israel and Switzerland have a rapid mobilization capability which achieves the combat value shown within three days of mobilization. Their normal, unmobilized, combat value is less than one third of the value shown. As explained elsewhere, combat value is modified by geographical, climate and political factors. The value given here is a combination of the quantity and quality of manpower, equipment and weapons. This raw combat value is then multiplied by the force multiplier (see below) to combat value shown in this column.

NAVAL capability is separate from land value and is found on the Naval Forces chart.

TOT QUAL (total force quality) is a fraction by which raw (theoretical) combat power should be multiplied to account for imperfect leadership, component of force quality, support, training and other "soft" factors. Think of it as an efficiency rating, with "100" being perfect and "55" being a more common 55 percent efficiency.

TOT POP (population in millions) indicates the nation's relative military manpower resources. Population is also a more meaningful indicator of a nation's size than territory.

GDP (Gross Domestic Product, in billions of dollars) is a rough gage of the nation's economic power. This does not translate immediately into military power because of the time needed to convert industry from civilian to military production.

ACT MEN (active military manpower in thousands) is the total uniformed, paid manpower organized into combat and support units.

MIL BUD (Military Budget in millions of dollars) is the current annual armed forces spending of that nation.

BUD MAN is the annual cost per man for armed forces in thousands of dollars. This is an excellent indicator of the quantity and, to a lesser extent, the quality of weapons and equipment.

AFV (Armored Fighting Vehicles) These include tanks, armored personnel carriers and most other armored combat and support vehicles.

AIRCRAFT CMBT are the number of combat aircraft available, including helicopter gunships and armed maritime patrol aircraft.
The Total Quality is calculated by assigning 0 (lowest) to 9 (highest) values for the following components of combat capability.

Ldrs is leadership. The quality of officers and NCOs.

Eqp is equipment. The quantity and quality of military equipment.

Exp is experience. Not just combat experience, but the quality of training.

Spt is support. This is logistics, the ability to get military supplies to the troops.

Mob is mobilization. The ability to mobilize the national resources for combat.

Trad is tradition. Military tradition, good military habits, based on practical experience.

Notes on National Military Power
(for those who are not keen on numerical analysis)
What follows is a brief comment on each nation covered in the chart. In alphabetical order.

Angola- The long war between the (formerly) communist government and the USbacked UNITA ended shortly after the Cold War did. Peace brought with it oil wealth and government corruption. Another civil war is brewing over that, and rebels still fight on in oil rich Cabinda province.

Egypt- Long standing disputes with Sudan and Libya, minor internal disorder. Military professional and good at getting the most out of a low budget.

Eritrea- Well trained and battle experienced armed forces, but poorly equipped. Disputes with neighbors. Potential internal problems because population is half Christian and half Muslim. The country is run by a paranoid dictator.

Ethiopia- Border dispute with Eritrea festers, and invasion of Somalia bogs down in local clan feuds. Internally, rebellious Muslim groups are a constant threat, especially with more active support from Eritrea. Ogaden province, right on the Somali border, and full of ethnic Somalis, has rebelled again. Not a big deal, but one more hot spot that burns up troops and scarce cash. These two border wars have been around for centuries, and not likely to go away now.

Nigeria- Military superpower in the region. Lots of quantity, some quality. Too many tribes, not enough oil money and too much corruption creates growing violence. The tribes and gangs (both criminal and political) in the oil producing region (the Niger Delta) are getting organized, and a lot more violent. The northern Muslims want more control over the federal government (and the oil money). Local rebels threaten loss of most oil revenue, which is getting the governments attention.

South Africa- Regional superpower. Modern and efficient army, navy, air force and paramilitary. Only nation to voluntarily give up nukes. Much internal strife but no neighbors that are a threat. Radical elements of the Xhosa, Zulu and Boers ethnic groups threaten armed violence.

Little Wars, Big Headlines and Tiny Conflicts
As the charts demonstrate, some nations have small armed forces and even smaller combat power. Thus a civil war in many African nations amounts to little more than a few thousand lightly armed troops firing a few shots and one faction deciding to flee across the border or into the bush. The winners move into the capital and take over. In many nations, be they in Africa or elsewhere, an ongoing "rebellion" would, in the days before CNN and satellite news, be considered little more than "a bandit problem." Put an eloquent bandit in front of a camera and you have a revolutionary. Yet if war is a matter of degree, than there are few nations on our planet capable of getting a proper war going. For the remainder, any action is basically large scale police work.

Nigeria military numbers:

DEFENSE
Active duty personnel in the three Nigerian armed services total approximately 76,000. The Nigerian Army, the largest of the services, has about 60,000 personnel deployed in two mechanized infantry divisions, one composite division (airborne and amphibious), the Lagos Garrison Command (a division size unit), and the Abuja-based Brigade of Guards. It has demonstrated its capability to mobilize, deploy, and sustain battalions in support of peacekeeping operations in the former Yugoslavia, Angola, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Sudan/Darfur. Nigeria currently has about 6,000 peacekeepers deployed in 12 UN missions worldwide. The Nigerian Navy (7,000) is equipped with frigates, fast attack, and coastal patrol boats. The Nigerian Air Force (9,000) flies transport, trainer, helicopter, and fighter aircraft, but most are currently not operational. Nigeria also has pursued a policy of developing domestic military production capabilities. Before the lifting of sanctions by many Western nations, Nigeria had turned to China, Russia, North Korea, and India for the purchase of military equipment and training.
source: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2836.htm#defense

Defense Budget: In 2004 Nigeria’s military budget was about US$737.6 million, representing 0.8 percent of gross domestic product.

Major Military Units: Nigeria’s armed forces consist of 78,500 active-duty personnel assigned as follows to the various services: army, 62,000; navy, 7,000; and air force 9,500. The army is organized into one armored division, one composite division (motorized, amphibious, and airborne), two mechanized divisions, and one Presidential Guard brigade. The navy’s headquarters is at Lagos, the western command is at Apapa (near Lagos), and the eastern command is at Calabar (inland along the Cross River, near the Bakasi Peninsula). In 2000 the air force moved its headquarters from Lagos to Abuja.

Major Military Equipment: The army has 150 main battle tanks (although 100 Soviet-era T–55 tanks may not be serviceable), 100 light tanks, 250–322 reconnaissance vehicles, up to 417 armored personnel carriers, 431 towed artillery, 27 self-propelled artillery, 25 multiple rocket launchers, more than 330 mortars, and unspecified numbers of antitank guided weapons, recoilless launchers, air defense guns, surface-to-air missiles, and surveillance vehicles. The navy has one principal surface combatant, eight patrol and coastal combatants, two mine warfare vessels, one amphibious vessel, and five support and miscellaneous vessels, but not all of these ships may be ready for action. Navy aviation has four helicopters of doubtful serviceability. The air force has 84 combat aircraft and 10 armed helicopters of doubtful serviceability.

Military Service: The age requirement for voluntary military service is 18 years.

Paramilitary Forces: Nigeria’s paramilitary forces, including the port security police and the Ministry of Internal Affairs’ security and civil defense corps, are estimated at 82,000.

Foreign Military Forces: On December 8, 2005, the United States and Nigeria reached an agreement to patrol the Niger Delta jointly to prevent insurgent attacks on energy installations. However, implementation of the agreement has been delayed, and the Nigerians have turned to China, which, like the United States, is heavily invested in Nigeria’s energy industry, for security assistance.

Military Forces Abroad: Nigeria has participated in United Nations (UN) operations and missions in Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia and Eritrea, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, and Western Sahara. In September 2005, Nigeria withdrew 120 Nigerian police officers serving in the UN Congo mission because of accusations that they had engaged in sexual abuses.

Source: http://www.mongabay.com/reference/new_profiles/344.html
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:20am On Dec 29, 2010
Ochi Agha said:

Only two countries military worth mentioning in the whole of Africa is Egypt and South Africa. Both countries have modern armies. And people tend to forget that South Africa used to have the bomb. I am pretty sure they haven't lost that capability yet.

Nigeria does not really have an advanced military.

The most battle hardened militaries in Africa I would say are Ethiopia, Eritrea, Morocco, Mali, Uganda, Rwanda and maybe Angola/Mozambique.

Ochi, I think the Nigerian military is far more advanced than you give it credit for, and boasts top notch personnel that can trouble any military on the continent. The troops have a well-earned reputation in Africa for fearlessness.

There's been a lot of investment in equipment and training in the last few years. Most of those countries you mentioned wouldn't last a couple of months in out and out combat with Nigerian forces.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 4:22am On Dec 29, 2010
xterra2:

^^ Um Egypt yes, but not south africa refer to my earlier post just above yours
And about the "bomb" i guess nuclear, and if so , no they dont

Actually South Africa did had nuclear weapons, but that is during the Apartheid regime. I am pretty sure the people who were involved in that program are still living. However, the program was quickly dismantled as apartheid ended, because the West feared a nuclear armed black nation.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 4:25am On Dec 29, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Ochi Agha said:

Ochi, I think the Nigerian military is far more advanced than you give it credit for, and boasts top notch personnel than can trouble any military on the continent. There's been a lot of investment in equipment and training in the last few years. Most of those countries you mentioned wouldn't last a couple of months in out and out combat with Nigerian forces.

I doubt it. Nigeria's military is not well trained. You can just see how they deal with Nigerian citizens. They would not be able to handle a battle tested army like Ethiopia who fights daily with Somali rebels in the Ogaden region and Eritrean skirmishes. I think you are giving the Nigerian military too much credit. Just because they have the weapons, does not mean they have the personnel who can use it correctly. Before the civil war, I could say that the Nigerian military had some of the brightest military minds that ever walked on the African continent.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:37am On Dec 29, 2010
Ochi Agha said:

Ochi, I think the Nigerian military is far more advanced than you give it credit for, and boasts top notch personnel than can trouble any military on the continent. There's been a lot of investment in equipment and training in the last few years. Most of those countries you mentioned wouldn't last a couple of months in out and out combat with Nigerian forces.

I doubt it. Nigeria's military is not well trained. You can just see how they deal with Nigerian citizens. They would not be able to handle a battle tested army like Ethiopia who fights daily with Somali rebels in the Ogaden region and Eritrean skirmishes. I think you are giving the Nigerian military too much credit. Just because they have the weapons, does not mean they have the personnel who can use it correctly. Before the civil war, I could say that the Nigerian military had some of the brightest military minds that ever walked on the African continent.

That's funny. There's no basis for saying ''they may have the weapons but don't know how to use them correctly''.

How familiar are you with the training regime of the Nigerian military in terms of officers' qualifications, capabilities, number of training courses attended per annum vis a vis the pre civil war era? Can you for instance tell me how many officers are trained today to handle a  Vickers Mk 3 main battle tank, of which the army owns about 200?

What about the M-56 100 mm Artillery Vehicle, of which the army owns 220??

Or the SA 7 and APR-21 122 mm MRLS missile systems numbering 120

Do you really think these equipment are lying around the barracks with soldiers clueless as to how to use them?

That's a joke, right??  wink

One thing OBJ did was increase the professionalism of the military.

Even in the days of Abacha and IBB when army indiscipline was the norm, they still brought Liberia and Sierra Leone to peace. 

The army is at least three times more professional today than it was then.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 4:45am On Dec 29, 2010
Let us agree to disagree my brother. I normally agree with you on many issues, but on this issue, I cannot. The Nigerian military has not shown me that they are capable of leading a war against another nation. Let them fight Cameroon for Bakassi. I actually wanted to see that. Let us see how they will act, if they get involved in Cote D'ivoire. The president of Cote D'ivoire already said any invasion force will be met in a battle.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:55am On Dec 29, 2010
Let us agree to disagree my brother. I normally agree with you on many issues, but on this issue, I cannot. The Nigerian military has not shown me that they are capable of leading a war against another nation. Let them fight Cameroon for Bakassi. I actually wanted to see that. Let us see how they will act, if they get involved in Cote D'ivoire. The president of Cote D'ivoire already said any invasion force will be met in a battle.

I would not support a battle against Cameroun. It's just not worth it. But if we did fight them, we would rout them.

Cote D'ivoire??  grin grin Is that a joke?  You seem to have forgotten that Nigeria is ECOMOG and ECOMOG is Nigeria. Go and ask Liberians and Sierra Leoneans about Nigerian troops. Do you know Nigeria can wipe out the Ivory Coast Army in less than one week? She probably won't because she'll as usual exercise restraint like she did in those two countries, to avoid mass civilian casualties. Minus that, Ivory Coast can be turned into a parking lot in under a week by the Nigerian military.  cool

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 4:57am On Dec 29, 2010
ROSSIKE:

I would not support a battle against Cameroun. It's just not worth it. But if we did fight them, we would rout them.

Cote D'ivoire?? grin grin Is that a joke? You seem to have forgotten that Nigeria is ECOMOG and ECOMOG is Nigeria. Go and ask Liberians and Sierra Leoneans about Nigerian troops. Do you know Nigeria can wipe out the Ivory Coast Army in less than one week? She probably won't because she'll as usual exercise restraint like she did in those two countries, to avoid mass civilian casualties. Minus that, Ivory Coast can be turned into a parking lot in under a week by the Nigerian military. cool

Let us see if that is true my brother. grin My problem is why did Nigeria give up without a fight over the Bakassi peninsula. How come the Nigerian military is having a hard time with the militants in the Niger Delta. I know that the militants know the creeks better than anyone, but the Nigerian military still cannot finish them off. And lets see if Nigeria can handle the Ivory Coast. The Ivory Coast is far different from Sierra Leone and Liberia. Remember that this country used to be the shining beacon of West Africa with its robust economy. Their weapons are just as advanced as Nigeria's weapons.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by udezue(m): 5:06am On Dec 29, 2010
South africa, Libya, Egypt
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:35am On Dec 29, 2010
Ochi Agha said:

Let us see if that is true my brother. grin   My problem is why did Nigeria give up without a fight over the Bakassi peninsula.

I think we were just being magnanimous. Don't forget it was a decision taken by the International Court of Justice, albeit the senate rejected the decision. Why fight unnecessarily over a small patch of land seems to have been our thinking.

How come the Nigerian military is having a hard time with the militants in the Niger Delta. I know that the militants know the creeks better than anyone, but the Nigerian military still cannot finish them off.

My guy, one word: Restraint.

The Nigerian miiltary has the capability to flatten that place in under 2 hours. But because the rebels hide among the people of those communities, its hard to flush them out without 'collateral damage', and we know the outcry that always follows that.

And lets see if Nigeria can handle the Ivory Coast. The Ivory Coast is far different from Sierra Leone and Liberia. Remember that this country used to be the shining beacon of West Africa with its robust economy. Their weapons are just as advanced as Nigeria's weapons.

Ivory Coast simply does not have the range of weaponry and human resources available to the Nigerian armed forces - army, navy, airforce.

I'm related to a senior military man so I can tell you for free that those guys have the weapons to destroy the entire Ivory Coast,  and make it look almost as though a nuclear bomb was dropped on it!

A brief look at our troops:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ECOMIL soldiers keep alert to receive Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo 01 September, 2003 at Roberts International Airport in Monrovia. President Obasanjo is on a one-day working visit to Liberia on the invitation of President Blah. The two leaders discussed Nigerian roles at the peacekeeping operation, Liberian problems and other issues relevant to peace process in Liberia (PIUS UTOMI EKPEI/AFP/***** Images)

Nigerian soldier searches Somalian for weapons

[img]http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1060064178734_2003/08/05/06MONROVIA_AFP,0.jpg[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/08/sq5liq.jpg?w=300&h=198[/img]
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/08/jfbwp1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/08/15sa7bb.jpg[/img]

Nigerian troops cheered by crowds after liberation of Sierra Leone.

Battle of Freetown
http://beegeagle./2010/08/07/ecomog-recorded-account-the-battle-of-freetown/

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 29, 2010
Ochi, do these guys look like they are ready to lose a war to Ivory Coast?  grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 5:49am On Dec 29, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Ochi, do these guys look like they are ready to lose a war to Ivory Coast?  grin

They look like they had their fill of Liberian women. That is why they had smiles on their face. Don't you know Nigerian troops fathered over 100,000 children during their time in Liberia. Does that sound professional? grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 5:51am On Dec 29, 2010
Nice picture though. cheesy
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 29, 2010
lol grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:00am On Dec 29, 2010
Respect to the Nigerian military for what they did in Liberia and Sierra Leone, but I don't see how a country with no military research, and with no gun, fighter jet, tank, or other advanced weaponry production capability can be called top notch with the standards set by other countries around the world.

Of course, I stand to be corrected and will be pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise (regarding weaponry and military research)

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Olaedo1: 6:04am On Dec 29, 2010
If Egypt and "South Africa" have the best armies in Africa,can anybody explain to me why nigeria is always sent to curb the war trouble in other African countries and not them(Egypt and "South Africa"?

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Beaf: 6:29am On Dec 29, 2010
Ola edo:

If Egypt and "South Africa" have the best armies in Africa,can anybody explain to me why nigeria is always sent to curb the war trouble in other African countries and not them(Egypt and "South Africa"?

Because those wars are in West Africa where we are the strongest. In other places, we donate to the AU force.
. . .And the two best armies are Ethiopia and Eritrea, not Egypt and SA. You don't want to meet Ethiopian and Eritrean soldiers on the battlefield, they are bloody well trained and equipped.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Olaedo1: 6:32am On Dec 29, 2010
Beaf:

Because those wars are in West Africa where we are the strongest. In other places, we donate to the AU force.
. . .And the two best armies are Ethiopia and Eritrea, not Egypt and SA. You don't want to meet Ethiopian and Eritrean soldiers on the battlefield, they are bloody well trained and equipped.

o ok. Yea i heard those to armies were cut throat.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 6:48am On Dec 29, 2010
Beaf:

I keep on telling people not to forget about Ethiopia. At one time, Ethiopia had the largest army in Africa when the Derg led by Mengistu was in power. With enemies outside of Ethiopia's border as well as inside of Ethiopia, they have to be battle hardened. Especially with going against the Somali militants that operate with the Ogaden region and Eritrea that should be a part of Ethiopia, but it not due to Cold War politics.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Beaf: 6:55am On Dec 29, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

I keep on telling people not to forget about Ethiopia. At one time, Ethiopia had the largest army in Africa when the Derg led by Mengistu was in power. With enemies outside of Ethiopia's border as well as inside of Ethiopia, they have to be battle hardened. Especially with going against the Somali militants that operate with the Ogaden region and Eritrea that should be a part of Ethiopia, but it not due to Cold War politics.

Ethiopia and Eritrea are rated highest by all top military ranking websites, but most don't know.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:58am On Dec 29, 2010
To the best of my knowledge (though I stand to be corrected) Eritrea has historically been separate from "Ethiopia" despite their common origin and the attempt to bring Eritrea into Ethiopia for sea access was similar to the internal colonization that resulted in the Oromo being part of Ethiopia despite their opposition- except that it was unsuccessful.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 7:05am On Dec 29, 2010
PhysicsQED:

To the best of my knowledge (though I stand to be corrected) Eritrea has historically been separate from "Ethiopia" despite their common origin and the attempt to bring Eritrea into Ethiopia for sea access was similar to the internal colonization that resulted in the Oromo being part of Ethiopia despite their opposition- except that it was unsuccessful.

Eritrea was one part of the Kingdom of Axum that extended into Ethiopia. However, Eritrea broke away as Islam spread in the region. However, it was until after the Ethiopians kicked out the Italians out of Ethiopia during WWII, that Emperor Haile Selassie claimed Eritrea as well.

I have an Oromo friend who claims that she is not Ethiopian, but when I asked my Amharic friend about the Oromo plight, he stated that he was used to those complaints, but how can those people want to create a nation out of Ethiopia, but taking a large part of the middle of the country with them. It doesn't make since to the Amharic people.

I understand what my Amharic friend mean though. Oromia as a nation does not make sense. Plus, the Amharic, Tigray and Oromo people share a common history. 

Emperor Haile Selassie himself was Tigray, Oromo and Amharic. It shows how mixed the people of Ethiopia are.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 7:13am On Dec 29, 2010
Egypt is ranked #17 in military strength in the world

South Africa is ranked #32

Libya is ranked #39

http://www.globalfirepower.com/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 7:15am On Dec 29, 2010
Egypt

PERSONNEL
Total Population: 81,713,520 [2008]
Population Available: 41,654,185 [2008]
Fit for Military Service: 35,558,995 [2008]
Reaching Military Age Annually: 1,611,890 [2008]
Active Military Personnel: 450,000 [2008]
Active Military Reserve: 254,000 [2008]
Active Paramilitary Units: 405,000 [2008]

ARMY
Total Land-Based Weapons: 9,357
Towed Artillery: 2,393 [2001]

AIR FORCE
[/b]Total Aircraft: 1,230 [2003]
Helicopters: 243 [2003]
Serviceable Airports: 88 [2007]

[b]NAVY

Total Navy Ships: 93
Merchant Marine Strength: 67 [2008]
Major Ports and Harbors: 6
Aircraft Carriers: 0 [2008]
Destroyers: 0 [2008]
Submarines: 4 [2008]
Frigates: 12 [2008]
Patrol & Coastal Craft: 35 [2008]
Mine Warfare Craft: 13 [2008]
Amphibious Craft: 12 [2008]

LOGISTICAL
[/b]Labor Force: 22,100,000 [2007]
Roadways: 92,370 km
Railways: 5,063 km

[b]FINANCES
(USD)
Defense Budget: $2,500,000,000 [2006]
Foreign Exch. & Gold: $31,370,000,000 [2007]
Purchasing Power: $405,400,000,000 [2007]

OIL
Oil Production: 665,000 bbl/day [2007]
Oil Consumption: 635,000 bbl/day [2005]
Proven Oil Reserves: 3,750,000,000 bbl [2007]

[b]GEOGRAPHIC
[/b]Waterways: 3,500 km
Coastline: 2,450 km
Square Land Area: 1,001,450 km
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 7:16am On Dec 29, 2010
South Africa

PERSONNEL
Total Population: 48,782,756 [2008]
Population Available: 23,124,044 [2008]
Fit for Military Service: 11,513,601 [2008]
Reaching Military Age Annually: 1,051,879 [2008]
Active Military Personnel: 60,000 [2008]

ARMY

AIR FORCE
[/b]Total Aircraft: 425 [2003]
Helicopters: 132 [2003]
Serviceable Airports: 728 [2007]

[b]NAVY

Total Navy Ships: 22
Merchant Marine Strength: 3 [2008]
Major Ports and Harbors: 5
Submarines: 3 [2008]
Frigates: 0 [2008]
Patrol & Coastal Craft: 6 [2008]
Mine Warfare Craft: 8 [2008]
Amphibious Craft: 0 [2008]

LOGISTICAL
Labor Force: 20,490,000 [2007]
Roadways: 362,099 km
Railways: 20,872 km

FINANCES (USD)
Defense Budget: $3,700,000,000 [2007]
Foreign Exch. & Gold: $32,940,000,000 [2007]
Purchasing Power: $467,800,000,000 [2007]

OIL
Oil Production: 200,000 bbl/day [2006]
Oil Consumption: 519,000 bbl/day [2006]
Proven Oil Reserves: 15,000,000 bbl [2007]

GEOGRAPHIC
Waterways: 0 km
Coastline: 2,798 km
Square Land Area: 1,219,912 km
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 7:18am On Dec 29, 2010
Libya

PERSONNEL
Total Population: 6,173,579 [2008]
Population Available: 3,293,184 [2008]
Fit for Military Service: 2,821,855 [2008]
Reaching Military Age Annually: 120,093 [2008]
Active Military Personnel: 76,000 [2008]
Active Military Reserve: 40,000 [2005]
Active Paramilitary Units: 3,000 [2008]

ARMY
Total Land-Based Weapons: 5,761
Tanks: 1,540 [2005]
Armored Personnel Carriers: 750 [2005]
Towed Artillery: 647 [2005]
Self-Propelled Guns: 444 [2005]
Multiple Rocket Launch Systems: 830 [2005]
Mortars: 500 [2005]
Anti-Tank Guided Weapons: 3,000 [2005]
Anti-Aircraft Weapons: 600 [2005]

AIR FORCE
[/b]Total Aircraft: 447 [2005]
Helicopters: 67 [2005]
Serviceable Airports: 141 [2007]

[b]NAVY

Total Navy Ships: 32
Merchant Marine Strength: 17 [2008]
Major Ports and Harbors: 6
Submarines: 1 [2005]
Frigates: 1 [2005]
Patrol & Coastal Craft: 9 [2005]
Mine Warfare Craft: 2 [2005]
Amphibious Craft: 7 [2008]

LOGISTICAL
Labor Force: 1,830,000 [2007]
Roadways: 100,024 km
Railways: 2,757 km

FINANCES (USD)
Defense Budget: $1,300,000,000 [2007]
Foreign Exch. & Gold: $79,600,000,000 [2007]
Purchasing Power: $74,720,000,000 [2007]

OIL
Oil Production: 1,712,000 bbl/day [2007]
Oil Consumption: 266,000 bbl/day [2005]
Proven Oil Reserves: 45,000,000,000 bbl [2007]

[b]GEOGRAPHIC
[/b]Waterways: 0 km
Coastline: 1,770 km
Square Land Area: 1,759,540 km
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by GAR3TH(m): 7:22am On Dec 29, 2010
PhysicsQED:

Of course, I stand to be corrected and will be pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise (regarding weaponry and military research)

lol Nigeria does have a company which makes APC (Armoured personnel carrier) and the Defence Industrial Corporation of Nigeria also manufactures its own ak47 (obj).

the air force also builds its own UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) and also manufactures it "air beetle" trainers

i believe the Navy is currently building a warship.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 7:28am On Dec 29, 2010
Every website that I look at, Egypt is always in the top 20 strongest militaries in the world. shocked

South Africa is a distant 2nd followed by Libya.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:36am On Dec 29, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Eritrea was one part of the Kingdom of Axum that extended into Ethiopia. However, Eritrea broke away as Islam spread in the region. However, it was until after the Ethiopians kicked out the Italians out of Ethiopia during WWII, that Emperor Haile Selassie claimed Eritrea as well.

I have an Oromo friend who claims that she is not Ethiopian, but when I asked my Amharic friend about the Oromo plight, he stated that he was used to those complaints, but how can those people want to create a nation out of Ethiopia, but taking a large part of the middle of the country with them. It doesn't make since to the Amharic people.

I understand what my Amharic friend mean though. Oromia as a nation does not make sense. Plus, the Amharic, Tigray and Oromo people share a common history. 

Emperor Haile Selassie himself was Tigray, Oromo and Amharic. It shows how mixed the people of Ethiopia are.

Oh. Thanks for the clarification.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.