Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

How To Open A Poultry Business ? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Open A Poultry Business ? (742 Views)

Poultry Business - A Very Lucrative Business You Should Go Into / Poultry Business Plan For Broilers And Layers In Nigeria / How Much Is Needed To Open A Standard Barbing Salon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Open A Poultry Business ? by sicily4u: 4:17pm On Nov 04, 2017
Hello house can someone with knowledge or into poultry business give me the details on how to start it up, the requirements, the amount involved, thanks
Re: How To Open A Poultry Business ? by SokoDobo: 6:01pm On Nov 04, 2017
Broilers or layers?
Capacity?
Location?
The above info is required to provide you with a detailed answer.
Re: How To Open A Poultry Business ? by sicily4u: 6:17pm On Nov 04, 2017
SokoDobo:
Broilers or layers?

Capacity?

Location?

The above info is required to provide you with a detailed answer.

I don't which of them is better, location is abia state, I don't know the quantity to start with, but I have empty land where to start the process, I just need the details and what to buy SBD other things needed
Re: How To Open A Poultry Business ? by Abyima(m): 10:52pm On Nov 04, 2017
sicily4u:

I don't which of them is better, location is abia state, I don't know the quantity to start with, but I have empty land where to start the process, I just need the details and what to buy SBD other things needed
go to agricultural room
Re: How To Open A Poultry Business ? by SokoDobo: 7:39am On Nov 05, 2017
sicily4u:

For starters, layers seems easier to run plus it's easier to sell eggs than birds.

As for the things you need, you need to first erect a pen on your land. Size and cost if pen depends on the quantity of birds you plan to stock and most importantly on your budget.

If you settle for layers, you then need to decide on the age of birds to start with:

1. DOC (Pullets): This are birds that are just a day old. DOC means "Day Old Chicks". Laying birds mostly start laying at around the age of 6months plus.

So you will need to raise the birds from just a day old till they start to lay before you will expect to start getting returns on your investment.

The advantage of this is that it gives you almost an all round experience in raising and caring for birds.

Budget roughly N1,200 per bird to raise the birds from DOC till lay. Meaning if your are stocking 1000 birds, you will need about N1.2M to buy d DOC plus feeds and medications that will sustain them till they start laying and bringing in returns.

2. Point of Lay: Usually called POL. As the name implies, this are birds at the age range of 15 to 20 weeks. Going for POL reduces the time it takes for you to start getting returns on your investment since the birds are typically expected to start laying in less than six weeks. It also relieves you of the stress of raising birds from scratch.

The disadvantage of this however is that you will not get the experience of raising and caring for fragile birds. Startup cost is also mire expensive as compared to starting with DOC. If going for POL, I will advice you go for birds between the age of 18 and 20 weeks.

Budget roughly N1,600 per bird if going for POL. This will take care of cost of buying the POL birds (which averagely cost N1,400 per POL) plus feeds to take the till lay. By implication, it will cost you about N1.6M for 1000 birds.

PS: 1000 laying birds will give you an average of 200k net profit monthly.

2 Likes

Re: How To Open A Poultry Business ? by sicily4u: 9:28pm On Nov 05, 2017
SokoDobo:

For starters, layers seems easier to run plus it's easier to sell eggs than birds.

As for the things you need, you need to first erect a pen on your land. Size and cost if pen depends on the quantity of birds you plan to stock and most importantly on your budget.

If you settle for layers, you then need to decide on the age of birds to start with:

1. DOC (Pullets): This are birds that are just a day old. DOC means "Day Old Chicks". Laying birds mostly start laying at around the age of 6months plus.

So you will need to raise the birds from just a day old till they start to lay before you will expect to start getting returns on your investment.

The advantage of this is that it gives you almost an all round experience in raising and caring for birds.

Budget roughly N1,200 per bird to raise the birds from DOC till lay. Meaning if your are stocking 1000 birds, you will need about N1.2M to buy d DOC plus feeds and medications that will sustain them till they start laying and bringing in returns.

2. Point of Lay: Usually called POL. As the name implies, this are birds at the age range of 15 to 20 weeks. Going for POL reduces the time it takes for you to start getting returns on your investment since the birds are typically expected to start laying in less than six weeks. It also relieves you of the stress of raising birds from scratch.

The disadvantage of this however is that you will not get the experience of raising and caring for fragile birds. Startup cost is also mire expensive as compared to starting with DOC. If going for POL, I will advice you go for birds between the age of 18 and 20 weeks.

Budget roughly N1,600 per bird if going for POL. This will take care of cost of buying the POL birds (which averagely cost N1,400 per POL) plus feeds to take the till lay. By implication, it will cost you about N1.6M for 1000 birds.

PS: 1000 laying birds will give you an average of 200k net profit monthly.

Thank u so much, all ur points and input is well noted and from what u said I think I will choose POL, maybe I can Start small like 200-300 layers
Re: How To Open A Poultry Business ? by SokoDobo: 7:42am On Nov 06, 2017
sicily4u:

Thank u so much, all ur points and input is well noted and from what u said I think I will choose POL, maybe I can Start small like 200-300 layers

You are welcome. Wishing you all the best in your quests

(1) (Reply)

Aiteo Group, A Leading Energy Company In Nigeria / 12 Easy Steps To Obtain Your Export Permit In Nigeria / Order For Your Valentine's Cakes Noq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.