Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) (20727 Views)

Question An American Asked About Nigerians Stealing Their Jobs And Reply He Got / Apply for 2018 MSc and PhD Commonwealth Scholarship In The UK / Nigerian Guy With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by whiskystan: 8:50am On Nov 05, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Zero work experience and you already have a Ph.D

He honestly was too over qualified for the jobs and no right-thinking Human Resource personnel in any Corporate organization will employ him as a fresher.

But who needs a Ph.D these days?

I doubt Bobrisky, Daniella Okeke or Mompha have past a basic college degree.

U got it right when he is over qualified then those interviewing him even more qualified that his/her MD who wants to risk his job on this. But another thing is that he has zero experience qualification is never job experience and expertise. PHD holder should just end up in academic.
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Webman007: 8:51am On Nov 05, 2017
ivolt:

How many jobs have you created?
Most people are employees even in developed
countries and will continue to be.

Even before leaving the shores of this country for my studies I employed myself and others after brief sting with one or two firms...

Now that am back am doing the same.... not working under anyone...and i have friends BSc, MSc and PhDs that are their own bosses.....

I never condemn him I only said the emphasis at his level should go beyond interviews simply
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Broda09: 9:19am On Nov 05, 2017
PHD with zero experience. He had it coming. Education is supposed to progress alongside career. I do not support people who go for masters degree immediately after completing undergraduate studies unless you want to end up in the teaching profession.
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Abs76: 9:30am On Nov 05, 2017
InvertedHammer:
/
Most people with Ph.D are lab rats. They cannot think beyond being employees which is why drop-outs and B.Sc holder entrepreneurs hire them or best case scenario, they end up taking teaching jobs.

//
phd holders applied for truck driven at dangote cement company he should thank God for getting a white collar job
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by SmartyPants(m): 9:52am On Nov 05, 2017
johnnyvid:
so so pathetic situations. even at PH.d level, he didn't get the job on time. not to talk of b.SC level. God help Nigeria graduates.

If he applied for 110 jobs and didn't get them, logically it means 110 other graduates got jobs.

This means that:

1. There are jobs!
2. Degree is not the only thing recruiters are looking at.
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Habyz(m): 10:19am On Nov 05, 2017
johnnyvid:
so so pathetic situations. even at PH.d level, he didn't get the job on time. not to talk of b.SC level. God help Nigeria graduates.
Nawa o! Because a person holds a PhD now qualifies him for a automatic job position? undecided
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by nkemjacob2(m): 10:31am On Nov 05, 2017
Welcome to Nigeria... Where stupid leaders lead
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 05, 2017
KevinDein:
With PhD you should be knowledgeable enough to create jobs
una go dey talk ds tin like say e easy
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by dometome: 10:52am On Nov 05, 2017
ekensi01:
grin

Education is no longer the key.

Our government has changed the padlock used by that key.

To all those looking for a job you must get the right key.
Like and be blessed
No I beg to differ, it depends on the type of education.
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by damesilver(m): 11:11am On Nov 05, 2017
InvertedHammer:
/
Most people with Ph.D are lab rats. They cannot think beyond being employees which is why drop-outs and B.Sc holder entrepreneurs hire them or best case scenario, they end up taking teaching jobs.

//

People are designed for different things. We are equipped with varying abilities. Some are inclined to function properly as employees while some do well to fashion out ideas to be executed by employees. None can function without the other. We need to rise above the ego to feel superior.

Everybody wants to known as the 'Boss'.

No need besmirching people based on their natural inclination. It is this egoic need to feel superior that we are still far behind in physical and psychic development. Know where your strength lies , be content with it and do it well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Tizzyreal: 11:43am On Nov 05, 2017
Can you write a news article and earn $100+ per article of 800 to 1000 words?, then check this here

http://us.blastingnews.com/tech/2017/11/minor-gps-issues-you-can-easily-fix-on-your-android-phone-002136249.html
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 05, 2017
johnnyvid:
Twitter user @officialdaddymo says he had to apply 110 times before he got a job despite holding a PhD in chemical engineering. Talk about tenacity.

See more posts and replies below..

source:http://www.pressnewsng.com.ng/2017/11/twitter-user-with-phd-says-he-had-to.html
He's even lucky. As a graduate from a family of peasant farmers, born without a silver spoon in his mouth, I applied for jobs over 200 times before I finally got one. Internet was just revolving at that time, GSM too. The only available means of posting a resume to somebody within my category was by post office. I wrote over 200 applications, trekked all the way from Oke Ado area to dugbe post office in ibadan, took a short cut of liberty stadium road to NTC before finally getting to dugbe PO. Today, the story is so sweet to tell. I thank God I'm somebody to be reckoned with in the society around the globe. Whenever I arrive in any country to meet my business partner, I see People raising a placard containing my name at the airport arrivals , waiting to welcome me and chauffer-drive me to my hotel already booked by my business partners. There's a reward in persistence and perseverance. The day you give up, is when you cease to exist as man!

2 Likes

Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by obonujoker(m): 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2017
fairfora:
He's even lucky. As a graduate from a family of peasant farmers, born without a silver spoon in his mouth, I applied for jobs over 200 times before I finally got one. Internet was just revolving at that time, GSM too. The only available means of posting a resume to somebody within my category was by post office. I wrote over 200 applications, trekked all the way from Oke Ado area to dugbe post office in ibadan, took a short cut of liberty stadium road to NTC before finally getting to dugbe PO. Today, the story is so sweet to tell. I thank God I'm somebody to be reckoned with in the society around the globe. Whenever I arrive in any country to meet my business partner, I see People raising a placard containing my name at the airport arrivals , waiting to welcome me and chauffer-drive me to my hotel already booked by my business partners. There's a reward in persistence and perseverance. The day you give up, is when you cease to exist as man!

Thank you sir for this piece!! God bless you
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by GreatUniben: 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2017
OboOlora:
Sentiments apart, why have a PhD and keep applying for jobs? He's just too greedy to believe the qualification will make him more employable forgetting over qualification is also a problem and most PhD holders are academicians meant for classrooms and research labs and not offices earning huge salaries.

even with PhD, you cannot get lecturing job easily in Nigeria
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by GboyegaD(m): 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2017
Gluhbirne:
He said he had no work experience, so no wonder. But 110x is too much; something must've been wrong somewhere (his resume or interview skills, perhaps).

It is never too much and like he said, he applied to a range of jobs so you never can tell what they were. In the long run, it paid off for him.
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by mechanics(m): 2:13pm On Nov 05, 2017
The key word is perseverance.
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 05, 2017
GboyegaD:

It is never too much and like he said, he applied to a range of jobs so you never can tell what they were. In the long run, it paid off for him.
I meant it's too bad he had to apply 110x before getting a job and that something must've been wrong somewhere, not that 110x is too much in itself/he shouldn't have applied to that many. Obviously if you're looking for a job, you need to apply as many times as you need to, to as many different jobs in your niche as you need to, which is what he did, and which eventually paid off.
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by InvertedHammer: 3:18pm On Nov 05, 2017
GboyegaD:

Unfortunately, you do not understand the passion that drives them.

/
The passion that drives them is obvious.

//
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by ekensi01: 3:34pm On Nov 05, 2017
dometome:
No I beg to differ, it depends on the type of education.
What do you mean by type of education?
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by writeprof(m): 4:02pm On Nov 05, 2017
FarahAideed:
Someone with a PHD should be creating a different kind of value in innovations , research and development and not diving into an over saturated job market .. Till date most Nigerians dont know the power of college education

The Nigerian education system does not have room for that. Ordinary PhD holder is meant for research jobs in academic or research institutions. But after the 'struggling' to get the degree where do you expect him to get money to start something.
NIGERIA IS ONE OF THE FEW NATIONS IN THE WORLD WHERE NO SYSTEM EXIST FOR PHD STUDENTS TO GET ANY FORM OF GRANTS, FUNDS OR BURSARY FROM THE GOVT OR SCHOOLS.

1 Like

Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by kense88: 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2017
Paper na paper. Does't matter if PhD or b.sc is written on it. What you can offer is what makes you stand out. But 110 times. I can smell lies
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by Gerrard59(m): 8:38pm On Nov 05, 2017
KevinDein:
With PhD you should be knowledgeable enough to create jobs

But seriously, why do you folks on social media believe that every graduate of a tertiary institution at any level MUST create jobs? Can everyone become an employer?

Even the majority of MBA graduates from top business schools look towards getting employed!
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by johnnyvid(m): 1:26am On Nov 06, 2017
fairfora:
hmmmmm nice testimony. God bless you. i love your motivation words. God keep you.

1 Like

Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by dometome: 6:41am On Nov 06, 2017
ekensi01:
What do you mean by type of education?
one type of education shackles you, (the easy way, ie go to university and spend money and try to get a job) and the one that liberates you(the hard way, ie learning different vocational skills, combining them to create jobs for you and others).
Re: Twitter User With A PHD Says He Had To Apply 110 Times Before He Got A Job(pics) by GboyegaD(m): 10:04pm On Nov 06, 2017
Gluhbirne:
I meant it's too bad he had to apply 110x before getting a job and that something must've been wrong somewhere, not that 110x is too much in itself/he shouldn't have applied to that many. Obviously if you're looking for a job, you need to apply as many times as you need to, to as many different jobs in your niche as you need to, which is what he did, and which eventually paid off.
\

Really Even in the West, when you are on the job market as a PhD candidate, you get to apply to almost as much that number of schools in many cases and make yourself available at conferences to be interviewed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs / FG Announces The Commencement Of N-knowledge Programme In 6 Geo-political Zones / N-power Batch C: Physical Verification Facts And Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.