Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot (9205 Views)

Talking Parrot( African Grey Parrot) Available For Sale. Lagos / Parrot Screams For 'Help', Neighbor Called 911 And Cops Show Up In The U.S(Pics) / All To Know About The African Grey Parrot Before Adopting One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by lilmarley: 4:44pm On Nov 12, 2017
Blackbelly:
LilMarley, i kept rabbits for a few years too, made some small cash from it. The smell if rabbit can be very unpleasant.

That's true.... But I keep them at my backyard
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by ejosamson: 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2017
pls bro I would like to have one parrot too.how much is it nd pls I'll like u to drop ur contact or better still dis is mine 08036195918 thanks nd God bless
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 7:31pm On Nov 13, 2017
ejosamson:
pls bro I would like to have one parrot too.how much is it nd pls I'll like u to drop ur contact or better still dis is mine 08036195918 thanks nd God bless
Ejosamson Send Me A Pm
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by rumenase(m): 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2017
Blackbelly:
Ejosamson Send Me A Pm
blackbelly pls come and continue
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by toms55(m): 9:57pm On Nov 13, 2017
@blackbelly , I suggest you should get a trampoline instead. you should be able yo get cheap ones around probably like an old used banner , you will just be washing with water ni shikena instead of spending money on newspapers

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by adecamp(m): 1:04pm On Nov 14, 2017
Op this your story sweet o lol. Nice to see you and Scoffield getting well

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 14, 2017
Interesting read, Ive always loved pets and had a couple growing up. Which specie actually talk & pls how do you clip d wings to prevent it getting away.. do u clip it permanently of periodically?
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 4:33pm On Nov 14, 2017
adecamp:
Op this your story sweet o lol. Nice to see you and Scoffield getting well
Oga boss u dey here? Greetings smiley

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 4:34pm On Nov 14, 2017
toms55:
@blackbelly , I suggest you should get a trampoline instead. you should be able yo get cheap ones around probably like an old used banner , you will just be washing with water ni shikena instead of spending money on newspapers
Thanks for this superb advice, I'll check for it ASAP
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2017
Retiredflirt:
Interesting read, Ive always loved pets and had a couple growing up. Which specie actually talk & pls how do you clip d wings to prevent it getting away.. do u clip it permanently of periodically?
The number of parrot species that talk are numerous, but among the best include: Amazon parrots, ring neck parakeets, macaws, budgerigars, African grey parrots...but the most accessible in west Africa are the African Grey's and the ring neck parakeets. Concerning the clipping, I can't say much abt that 'cos I haven't done one myself. I bought my parrot already clipped

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by rumenase(m): 10:19pm On Nov 14, 2017
blackbelly Abeg I take all the witch for my village take beg yu come and continue
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2017
rumenase:
blackbelly Abeg I take all the witch for my village take beg yu come and continue
Hahaha...don't worry, I'll post a new update soon smiley
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by jayned: 8:58am On Nov 15, 2017
rumenase:
OP yu just dug out my love for parrots from no where. kudos

I feel the same way too.
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by nonut: 6:21pm On Nov 15, 2017
Blackbelly:

The number of parrot species that talk are numerous, but among the best include: Amazon parrots, ring neck parakeets, macaws, budgerigars, African grey parrots...but the most accessible in west Africa are the African Grey's and the ring neck parakeets. Concerning the clipping, I can't say much abt that 'cos I haven't done one myself. I bought my parrot already clipped
You know the wings grow back? If it's not too attached to you, it can fly away and that's bye bye to your 30k and other expenses you incurred since you got it.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by rogers407: 12:52pm On Nov 16, 2017
do I have the patience for a bird like Scofield? no!, but I like your diary.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 7:01pm On Nov 17, 2017
nonut:

You know the wings grow back? If it's not too attached to you, it can fly away and that's bye bye to your 30k and other expenses you incurred since you got it.
Thanks for your comment, its coming very timely!
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 19, 2017
How is the bird not even tempted to fly away, whenever he watches other bird outside flying in all their glorious freedom..

From the pics, i know u clipped the wings but it still seem to me like it is still sufficient enough to fly around.. so is it that you trained him not to fly from home..

Abeg i dey gbadun this ur diary...

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2017
booqee:
How is the bird not even tempted to fly away, whenever he watches other bird outside flying in all their glorious freedom..

From the pics, i know u clipped the wings but it still seem to me like it is still sufficient enough to fly around.. so is it that you trained him not to fly from home..

Abeg i dey gbadun this ur diary...
Right now, the best he can fly is around 10 feet, but I've observed a recent growth of new feathers so I'm clipping him soon. I initially intended training him to fly, but I changed my mind when I weighed the risks of predators, getting lost, or even being hunted down by street kids
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 9:46pm On Nov 19, 2017
Scofield's intelligence
As the days go by, I see a level of intelligence in my bird that sometimes leaves me awestruck. He displays this intelligence in numerous ways. Right now, he understands the connotations of a few words. Some of which are: "groundnut", "banana", "corn", "banga", "bye-bye"...he also responds to some commands like: "come on" (walk up to me), "step-up" (step unto my hand), "up" (I'm about to pick you up and flip you over on your back), "poop" (drop some weight from your rear end lol), "give me a kiss" (lightly peck my nose with your beak), "shhhh" (stop what you're doing or about to do)... When I am a few feet from him and I hold out my fist and call out his favourite food (which recently has become shelled groundnut), the speed with which he runs to me is quite different from when I mention other foods or ask him to come to me. As surprising as it may sound, whenever I call his name (even when I'm outside his line of sight), he responds with a squawk. I'm still unsure if he understands the concept of a name, but his constant reply seem to indicate that he does.
For weeks now, he rarely poops when in the cage, rather, when he needs to, he makes a special call to get my attention. When he sees me from afar off, or hears my voice, he repeatledly whistles a particular tone (that sounds like wheuu...) as if to say "welcome". When I tell him "goodnight" just before lights out, he replies with another whistle tone. When I'm walking away away from him, he whistles a popular whistle tone I taught him (the common whistle people make when trying to call a person or a trained animal- something sounding like wheuu-whee) as if to say he doesn't want me to go just yet. Whenever he sees me eating, he makes a whining sound (almost identical to that of dogs) while smacking his beak indicating that he wants what I'm having.
Sometimes, when I say "step up" and he's not in the mood to step unto my hand, he whistles a tone that I have come to understand as his way of saying "no", and when I repeat the command in a stern voice, he slowly lifts up one foot after the other onto my hand while grumbling with a low volume growl...lol (talk about a stubborn 'boy')
Few weeks back, while he was outside chirping away, I observed that dark clouds were gathering indicative of an approaching rain, so I walked up to his outdoor perch and told him to step up, he growled at me, as if to say he didn't want to go in just yet, so I decided to let him be (prior to this time, I had tried every trick in the book to shower him but up till now, he would shriek at me if I sprayed even a drop of water on him, so I wanted to see if he would shriek at the cloud or something grin). As the rain drizzled, I was surprised to hear him call out to me-with squawks and whistles, while shaking his head repeatedly. Though I was just a short distance from him I refused to go pick him up. After about five minutes, I observed he was getting drenched, so I went to him, told him to step up him up (he growled a little before he stepped up) after which I took him to his cage. Later that day, I went to pick him up and his reaction surprised me. He growled angrily and pretty loudly too. This left me quite perplexed. "What could be wrong?", "Why is he growling?" I reasoned to myself. It took a while before it suddenly dawned on me that Scofield was still ruminating over my deliberate act of not picking him up when he was in distress. For a minute there, I thought this could not possibly be the case, afterall does it not sound too complex for an animal to be able to show signs of aggression towards a person for indirectly causing an unpleasant situation because of his/her inaction? Yet, despite how unnatural it appears, Scofield's action proved to me that he understands the concept of cause and effect.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by kunlesufyan(m): 5:49pm On Nov 20, 2017
Are you a content writer? If you are not, I think you should key into it. You will be relavant there.
Anyways, WantedI had plans to get parrot for my birthday but It didnt work out.
Ill follow this thread so I can learn enough about this exotic bird before I contact Adecamp.
Nice one though
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 8:56am On Nov 22, 2017
kunlesufyan:
Are you a content writer? If you are not, I think you should key into it. You will be relavant there.
Anyways, WantedI had plans to get parrot for my birthday but It didnt work out.
Ill follow this thread so I can learn enough about this exotic bird before I contact Adecamp.
Nice one though
I'm not a content writer, neither do I have any intention of becoming one in the future. This thread is just for fun. You could also find some helpful articles on wikihow. Thanks for following by the way

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Tellemall: 10:14am On Nov 22, 2017
Whenever you trim its feathers, let us have a blow by blow picture roll.

With its feathers trimmed it can't fly all that well, but you're taking it outside and it doesn't think of flying off?

How do you cope with its beak? And the screaming?
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 8:49pm On Nov 22, 2017
Tellemall:
Whenever you trim its feathers, let us have a blow by blow picture roll.

With its feathers trimmed it can't fly all that well, but you're taking it outside and it doesn't think of flying off?

How do you cope with its beak? And the screaming?
I'll try to put the pics when Scofield voluntarily allows me to spread his wings, 'cos right now, he's still grumpy about it. He made a number of attempts to fly off, but I kept bringing him back to his perch. He instinctively decided to halt all flying attempts after a flying accident resulted in a broken beak tip and a little blood loss. The last time Scofield screamed at me was probably about four months ago. I have no fear of biting now, as I even wrestle out food from his beak when we're catching fun tongue
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 8:53pm On Nov 22, 2017
Mimicry: naturally unnatural
As a lover of animal documentaries both on youtube and on satellite tv, I've sometimes found myself in complete disbelief after watching clips of birds displaying extraordinary feats of sound mimicry. Little did I know that I'll get to hear one myself.
If memory serves me well, I believe it all started shortly after the dawn of one morning in the month of July, I took Scofield outdoors and as was his custom, he rented the air with his whistles, and squawks (as at this time all I had heard from him were a few normal parrot vocalisations). Out of the blues, while inside the house, I heard the barking of a dog, for a minute there, my imagination ran amuck..."did Scofield just bark?", "is there a stray dog nearby?" "Could my ears be playing tricks on me?"... undecided

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by donshaize(m): 9:30pm On Nov 22, 2017
Blackbelly:
Mimicry: naturally unnatural
As a lover of animal documentaries both on youtube and on satellite tv, I've sometimes found myself in complete disbelief after watching clips of birds displaying extraordinary feats of sound mimicry. Little did I know that I'll get to hear one myself.
If memory serves me well, I believe it all started shortly after the dawn of one morning in the month of July, I took Scofield outdoors and as was his custom, he rented the air with his whistles, and squawks (as at this time all I had heard from him were a few normal parrot vocalisations). Out of the blues, while inside the house, I heard the barking of a dog, for a minute there, my imagination ran amuck..."did Scofield just bark?", "is there a stray dog nearby?" "Is my mind playing tricks on me?"... undecided
Mr blackbelly

only 14 lines kwa

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 9:42pm On Nov 22, 2017
I quickly went outside the house to put an answer to the seemingly unending stream of questions flowing in my mind. The speed with which I dashed out must have startled Scofield, so he just kept mum. I didn't see any dog in sight, and I didn't observe any posture of fear in him, so I reached a hypothesis that what I heard might have come from him. After some minutes of futile waiting to see if he'd repeat it, I went inside the house so I could view him from a nearby window adjacent to his perch. "Maybe if he doesn't see me, he may repeat it", I reasoned. After few minutes of waiting, I clearly heard four dog barks coming directly from Scofield! shocked shocked. I was electrified with amazement. This was indeed a confirmation to me, that the long standing rumour that parrots can mimic what they hear is actually true!
From that moment till now, my 'boy' has dazzled me with his audio library. Currently without exaggeration, I believe he produces over two hundred different sounds. Some he learnt over the course of weeks, others he mastered after hearing it just once! His vocalisations include: the squeaking of doors, the cooing of doves, barking of dogs, chirping of canaries, swallows...hooting of owls, the screeching of tires, sound of swallowing eba (I believe learnt that one from yours sincerely cool), wolf whistles & a few other whistle tunes I taught him, not to mention a ton of other sound combinations. I believe one question in your mind right now is "can he talk?" Well yes and no.
Yes because he has started to mimic two words "hello" and "my-boy", and no because its not yet in perfect human voice (I'll probably rate him 40%)
I find it most amusing whenever he joins me in a whistling duet (if u see us, u go laff tire grin grin). I don't know how he understands the timing, but he just knows the tune I'm about to whistle and immediately joins me in it. Sometimes, its in synchrony other times, a cacophony... grin grin
One decision I have made is that whether he eventually mimics human speech or not, I'll not love him any less, because he's such an interesting 'fellow' smiley.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 7:34am On Nov 24, 2017
Scofield's latest 'vocabulary' addition, sound of kisses...lol
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by kunlesufyan(m): 7:56am On Nov 24, 2017
Blackbelly:
Scofield's latest 'vocabulary' addition, sound of kisses...lol
He found a gehfrnd abi
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by cybriz82(m): 10:37am On Nov 24, 2017
Blackbelly:
Scofield's intelligence
As the days go by, I see a level of intelligence in my bird that sometimes leaves me awestruck. He displays this intelligence in numerous ways. Right now, he understands the connotations of a few words. Some of which are: "groundnut", "banana", "corn", "banga", "bye-bye"...he also responds to some commands like: "come on" (walk up to me), "step-up" (step unto my hand), "up" (I'm about to pick you up and flip you over on your back), "poop" (drop some weight from your rear end lol), "give me a kiss" (lightly peck my nose with your beak), "shhhh" (stop what you're doing or about to do)... When I am a few feet from him and I hold out my fist and call out his favourite food (which recently has become shelled groundnut), the speed with which he runs to me is quite different from when I mention other foods or ask him to come to me. As surprising as it may sound, whenever I call his name (even when I'm outside his line of sight), he responds with a squawk. I'm still unsure if he understands the concept of a name, but his constant reply seem to indicate that he does.
For weeks now, he rarely poops when in the cage, rather, when he needs to, he makes a special call to get my attention. When he sees me from afar off, or hears my voice, he repeatledly whistles a particular tone (that sounds like wheuu...) as if to say "welcome". When I tell him "goodnight" just before lights out, he replies with another whistle tone. When I'm walking away away from him, he whistles a popular whistle tone I taught him (the common whistle people make when trying to call a person or a trained animal- something sounding like wheuu-whee) as if to say he doesn't want me to go just yet. Whenever he sees me eating, he makes a whining sound (almost identical to that of dogs) while smacking his beak indicating that he wants what I'm having.
Sometimes, when I say "step up" and he's not in the mood to step unto my hand, he whistles a tone that I have come to understand as his way of saying "no", and when I repeat the command in a stern voice, he slowly lifts up one foot after the other onto my hand while grumbling with a low volume growl...lol (talk about a stubborn 'boy')
Few weeks back, while he was outside chirping away, I observed that dark clouds were gathering indicative of an approaching rain, so I walked up to his outdoor perch and told him to step up, he growled at me, as if to say he didn't want to go in just yet, so I decided to let him be (prior to this time, I had tried every trick in the book to shower him but up till now, he would shriek at me if I sprayed even a drop of water on him, so I wanted to see if he would shriek at the cloud or something grin). As the rain drizzled, I was surprised to hear him call out to me-with squawks and whistles, while shaking his head repeatedly. Though I was just a short distance from him I refused to go pick him up. After about five minutes, I observed he was getting drenched, so I went to him, told him to step up him up (he growled a little before he stepped up) after which I took him to his cage. Later that day, I went to pick him up and his reaction surprised me. He growled angrily and pretty loudly too. This left me quite perplexed. "What could be wrong?", "Why is he growling?" I reasoned to myself. It took a while before it suddenly dawned on me that Scofield was still ruminating over my deliberate act of not picking him up when he was in distress. For a minute there, I thought this could not possibly be the case, afterall does it not sound too complex for an animal to be able to show signs of aggression towards a person for indirectly causing an unpleasant situation because of his/her inaction? Yet, despite how unnatural it appears, Scofield's action proved to me that he understands the concept of cause and effect.

oga this ur story without video ehnnn hope e no go chase somepeople out of this thread,

1 Like

Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 8:33am On Nov 25, 2017
kunlesufyan:

He found a gehfrnd abi
Hahaha...U and sarcasm sef. Don't worry when he needs one, you'll see this thread: "pure bred african grey parrot stud available" lmao
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 8:40am On Nov 25, 2017
cybriz82:

oga this ur story without video ehnnn hope e no go chase somepeople out of this thread,
abeg how do I upload videos with my itel torchlight *tongue in cheek*
Re: Diary Of Scofield: My African Grey Parrot by Blackbelly(m): 9:20pm On Feb 23, 2018
In writing a diary, sometimes there are moments of long pauses, not because things have been uneventful or unworthy of being recorded, but perhaps the events do not strike the cords of writers fancy. I think I have had a fair share of that long pause, and now I’m back to my diary desk.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bobbysaxyy's Breed Caucasian Sheperd For Sale / Pure Breed American Eskimo Available For Sale / Please My Puppy Is Dying From Parvo Virus Help Me To Save My Puppy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.