Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Overcoming Depression - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Overcoming Depression (350 Views)

Overcoming Inferiority Complex / Reducing Suicide Rate By Overcoming Depression / 4 Secrets To Overcoming Stomach Ulcers That No Doctor Will Dare Tell You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Overcoming Depression by TOPplanter: 11:24pm On Nov 06, 2017
It is so difficult to describe depression to someone who's never been depressed before, because depression is not just about feeling sad. Regrettably, the word 'depression' has become commonplace in our everyday conversations, with people using it to describe every form disappointment. You might hear someone say, “I feel depressed about our football team losing,” or “I’m so depressed about not getting to see my family over the holidays.” Depression isn't just about feeling 'sad' or disappointed all the time. It is beyond that. My worst experience of depression was in my first year in University of Nigeria,Nsukka. It's actually a long story anyway. But I can boldly say that in the midst of depression, you feel hopeless and helpless. You lack motivation to do anything. You feel like not getting out of bed. Hating every single part of yourself. Not being able to sleep. Knowing that you have dishes to wash, assignments to do, exams to study for, people to talk to, but not doing it. Internal pain will be the only thing that will be reminding you that you are still alive. You feel F.I.N.E (I.e Feeling I'm Nothing to Everyone). You miss the old You,the happy You, the smiling You, the laughing You, and the gone You, etc. Depression leads to the state of being alive and not knowing why. Nevertheless, anyone can become depressed, though genetics play a role. Having a parent or siblings with depression increases your risk of developing the disorder.
Psychologists defined depression as a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act. Depression causes feelings of sadness and a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease a person’s ability to function at work, school and at home. Though it is natural to feel down sometimes, but if that low mood lingers day after day, it could be a sign of depression. It is important to note that depression is not a sign of weakness. In fact, becoming sad or blue isn’t a sure sign of depression. I have come to realize that liife brings difficulties that we respond to with a wide range of normal emotions: sadness, anxiety, resignation, confusion, grief, and frustration. Moods are cyclical, and if these feelings are your response to a tough event, they will subside on their own in time. I generously agree with the psychologist who stressed that genetic predisposition, being female, death or loss of loved one, major life events (even happy ones, like a graduation), other mental illnesses, substance abuse, childhood trauma, certain medications, serious illness, and personal problems such as financial troubles or the loss of a job increases the tendency of one being depressed.. What all of these things have in common is that they disrupt the normal balancing mechanisms of mind and body.Even though no one knows exactly what causes depression, it is clearly a state of internal imbalance. Balance is essential for the healthy functioning of both your body and your mind, so a treatment that aims to restore balance to your mind-body physiology can help you return to a natural state of well-being.
Sometimes last year, I stumbled upon a book in a friend's library about overcoming depression. The title pierced my heart like a bullet shot at a close range. I couldn't shake off the impression it made in my heart. So a few weeks later, I visited University bookshop to get my own copy. That was the beginning of the end of many things in my life. I will share most of the important things I learnt which helped me to get rid of depression in my life . But before that let's consider the likely symptoms of depression. Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:

Sadness
excessive or inappropriate guilt
Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
Loss of energy or increased fatigue
Increase in purposeless physical activity (e.g., hand-wringing or pacing) or slowed movements and speech (actions observable by others)
Feeling worthless or guilty
Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
Thoughts of death or suicide
Slowing of thoughts and physical movements, etc.

HOW TO OVERCOME DEPRESSION

When you’re depressed, it often feels like nothing in the world can make you feel better. Depression is a devious disorder, because the symptoms it creates can discourage you from completing the very actions or seeking the help that would begin your recovery. Lack of energy, low self-esteem and dwindling excitement are some of the symptoms that make it hard to get out of a depressed state. For anyone experiencing this stuckness, it’s important to remember that depression is a very common and highly treatable disorder. By treating it like any other physical disease and taking the actions that will destroy the parasites infecting your mental state, you can conquer your depression.
There are many things you can do to rebalance yourself. The first step is recognizing that you’re feeling depressed and seeking help. People sometimes experience depression as a result of an underlying condition such as poor CGPA, carryovers, debts, loneliness or relationship issues, health issues etc. Whatever be the case, just know that you are never alone. God is with you, holding you, comforting you and most of all LOVING you no matter what.
Here are some of the ways to get out depression

Exercise
Get enough sleep
Eat healthy foods
Don't isolate yourself
Don’t Punish Yourself for Feeling Bad
Examine Your Reactions to Difficult Situations(avoid negative reaction)
Cultivate Self-Love and Acceptance
Take on responsibility
Challenge negative thoughts
Do something new
Try to have fun
See a Therapist!

I believe this post inpired you. You can read more at: https://topplanters..com.ng/2017/11/overcoming-depression.html

(1) (Reply)

By February Next Year, Nigeria Will Overtake India As One Of The Poorest Country / Vmax Male Enhancement Best Product For Male / Meeting Industrial Requirements For Deionization of Ionic Content -08143352493

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.