Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. (3184 Views)

How Do I Recover A Debt From My Pastor? / How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? / Friend's Message Cursing His Friend For A Debt Of 5 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by mrjojo: 12:47am On Nov 07, 2017
Hi nlers, Please I need suggestions. I sold my layers birds to a woman who sells birds for consumption AROUND early August, she promised she was going to pay a week later after she made sales.
Two weeks later, all she kept giving was excuses. Ending of September, I asked her to bring a guarantor so both of them can sign a document stating when exactly she will like to pay. I gave her the liberty to choose any date she wanted.
She said October 30th, I accepted, she signed, and the guarantor did too.

It days past 30th October now and the woman has started giving excuses, while the guarantor keeps promising Tommorrow.

Please how can I get my money? I think these people are taking me for granted because am quite young. Am thinking police, or maybe court since I have a written agreement, also considering the time and expenses.

Please help, such a pity doing business in this country, every one is looking to take advantage.

The money is 300,000+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by Bibi294(f): 5:37am On Nov 07, 2017
Report to the police... With your written proof

1 Like

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by elchariot: 6:27am On Nov 07, 2017
Bibi294:
Report to the police... With your written proof

It's not the duty of the police to serve as a debt recovery agent or contract enforcement agent .

Although often used, the debtor may sue you and the Police for breach of his/her Fundamental Human Right and will succeed. Moreover, you not only pay for the petition, the police may even eat the money they recovered from you.

I will advice you get a lawyer (some can even do it pro bono). You may wish to send mail to elchariotlp@gmail.com for further advice and direction.

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by 4kings: 7:21am On Nov 07, 2017
Wirinet i really want to know the answer to this.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by mrjojo: 8:15am On Nov 07, 2017
More suggestions please

1 Like

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:15am On Nov 07, 2017
mrjojo:
More suggestions please

What has happened is now in the past and you have to learn from it and move on . I think first you have to develop a reputation for yourself on how you deal with debtors - this will be for a long time but soon enough word will spread. You can use her as an example so that others will learn from it ; forget what this might cost you short term but it will certainly help in the long run .Better to be feared and respected than to be liked . You'd have this reputation as someone who means business and business alone .Or if you wish to be diplomatic about it , have a personal talk with her and find out why she hasn't paid her debt . Whatever her reason is , let her know this is not how you do business and be very stern about it .

Before you give out your layers on credit , try to find out if the person has a reputation of paying back his or her debt as at when due so you won't be in this mess next time .

Your age has nothing to do with this bro , the perception people have of you does . Possibly, she thought you are the push over type , easily intimated , naive etc and that's why she took advantage . Change it - this is your chance .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by 4kings: 9:18am On Nov 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

What has happened is now in the past and you have to learn from it and move on . I think first you have to develop a reputation for yourself on how you deal with debtors - this will be for a long time but soon enough word will spread. You can use her as an example so that others will learn from it ; forget what this might cost you short term but it will certainly help in the long run .Better to be feared and respected than to be liked . You'd have this reputation as someone who means business and business alone .Or if you wish to be diplomatic about it , have a personal talk with her and find out why she hasn't paid her debt . Whatever her reason is , let her know this is not how you do business and be very stern about it .

Before you give out your layers on credit , try to find out if the person has a reputation of paying back his or her debt as at when due so you won't be in this mess next time .

Your age has nothing to do with this bro , the perception people have of you does . Possibly, she thought you are the push over type , easily intimated , naive etc and that's why she took advantage . Change it - this is your chance .
That's sad.
So he can't really do anything about the debt?

1 Like

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:25am On Nov 07, 2017
4kings:

That's sad.
So he can't really do anything about the debt?

He can , she'd eventually pay . But he has to play this really well so that the kind of message he wants to put out gets received .

He can agree that she'd pay in installments . A certain amount of money to be paid after a certain period of time : Maybe 100k every week for 3 weeks .

1 Like

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by 4kings: 9:28am On Nov 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

He can , she'd eventually pay . But he has to play this really well so that the kind of message he wants to put out gets received .

He can agree that she'd pay in installments . A certain amount of money to be paid after a certain period of time : Maybe 100k every week for 3 weeks .
Hmm, what if she decides not to and keeps postponing?
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:44am On Nov 07, 2017
4kings:

Hmm, what if she decides not to and keeps postponing?

There are ways to deal with this kind of people . One is to storm her store and fiercely demand for his money . Shout , confront, tell her you are not leaving the place till you get paid , create a scene .She has crossed the line and she has to know that there are limits . The ignominy will force her to oblige .

1 Like

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by greatface(m): 9:54am On Nov 07, 2017
Creditors and Debtors

How sweet people sounds when coming for credits or to borrow from you will actually live you with no option than to consider them angels and saints who ever keeps to their words.

But once out of compassion you accept to help, they automatically change for worse. Even the devil will be amazed at their level of expertary in crafting excusses each time you request for payback.

They can even fake death just to avade/avert payback.

They have dealt with me within the past and present year that am considering never to help again.

3 Likes

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by wirinet(m): 10:19am On Nov 07, 2017
4kings:
Wirinet i really want to know the answer to this.

My view on this? Well, this is a very trickish situation. Debt is one of the main reasons companies fold up in Nigeria. I have known big companies that was owed billions of naira and had to eventually fold up.

Ordinarily, I would have said take the matter to court, but our judicial system is too slow, too infective and too costly, especially for civil cases. You might be in court for the next three or more years, and at the end of the day, the your debtor might be asked to pay installmentally over a prolonged period of time.

The first rule of business in Nigeria is avoid debts as much as possible, this is my motto after more than 20years of doing business. It is better to take small profit margins and collect your money cash than expect huge profits in debts. Even if you eventually collect your money, the stress would not worth the wahala. Besides with small margins but cash at hand, you can turn over the business multiple times instead of using the time to pursue debt in a single transaction.

Nigerians only understand one language threats. You can use police or even soldier to threaten the debtor. Although lawyers will tell you about the law and the illegality of using police and soldiers, but believe me this is what works fastest. I have seen people use thugs, Oyabo, OPC, etc to collect their debts. Even micro finance and money lenders (Lapo) use police, thugs, etc. Just be tactical about it and do not cause any physical damage to persons and property.

I remember someone owed my wife N30,000 for over one year. One Saturday morning my wife went to her house to draw the debt, the debtor came out ready for a fight, my wife took her down and seized her two phones. Behold, by evening that day she showed up at my door with the N30,000.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by greatface(m): 10:26am On Nov 07, 2017
Op, as a last resort, you can get a "charge and bail" lawyer that won't cost you much to facilitate a court order that will mandate her to pay even if it means forfeiting her personal properties. That Would Serve As A Lesson To Others.

I would have done same but mine was few bucks over different individuals. So I chose to forgive. You can aswell choose my choice.

naijacutee, dominique, lalasticlala or however it is spelt, you've got to help by any means possible.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by mrjojo: 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2017
Hmm, how do some people feel so comfortable owing someone. Have been understanding and fair.she is my mom's age so been giving her respect. Time to arrest her whole family

Update : she has stopped picking my calls and she is no where to be found around her shop, her guarantor too.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by 4kings: 6:13pm On Nov 07, 2017
wirinet:

My view on this? Well, this is a very trickish situation. Debt is one of the main reasons companies fold up in Nigeria. I have known big companies that was owed billions of naira and had to eventually fold up.

Ordinarily, I would have said take the matter to court, but our judicial system is too slow, too infective and too costly, especially for civil cases. You might be in court for the next three or more years, and at the end of the day, the your debtor might be asked to pay installmentally over a prolonged period of time.

The first rule of business in Nigeria is avoid debts as much as possible, this is my motto after more than 20years of doing business. It is better to take small profit margins and collect your money cash than expect huge profits in debts. Even if you eventually collect your money, the stress would not worth the wahala. Besides with small margins but cash at hand, you can turn over the business multiple times instead of using the time to pursue debt in a single transaction.

Nigerians only understand one language threats. You can use police or even soldier to threaten the debtor. Although lawyers will tell you about the law and the illegality of using police and soldiers, but believe me this is what works fastest. I have seen people use thugs, Oyabo, OPC, etc to collect their debts. Even micro finance and money lenders (Lapo) use police, thugs, etc. Just be tactical about it and do not cause any physical damage to persons and property.

I remember someone owed my wife N30,000 for over one year. One Saturday morning my wife went to her house to draw the debt, the debtor came out ready for a fight, my wife took her down and seized her two phones. Behold, by evening that day she showed up at my door with the N30,000.

Thanks.
From what i infer you and KingEbukasblog post too, it sad that most Nigerians respond to threats or fear.
But well, when a parent think the only way to make a child do the right thing is by inculcating some form of force or fear every time, it's little surprise that this factor is common among the blacks. - Just my thought.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by mrjojo: 12:38pm On Nov 09, 2017
Update: Contacted a police officer to follow me to the woman's shop, She wasn't there. The police officer had to coerce her house address from her shop neighbor. We got to her house, and I met her. She started crying and begging, I actually pity her. She said she has been sick and no money to even go to the hospital or buy drugs. I just her house, she promised to call tomorrow to fix a certain date she going to pay. I really don't know what else to do, I can't deal with an elderly woman crying and begging me.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by 4kings: 3:50pm On Nov 09, 2017
mrjojo:
Update: Contacted a police officer to follow me to the woman's shop, She wasn't there. The police officer had coerce her house address form her shop neighbor. We got to her house, and I met her. She started crying and begging, I actually pity her. She said she has been sick and no money to even go to the hospital or buy drugs. I just her house, she promised to call tomorrow to fix a certain date she going to pay. I really don't know what else to do, I can't deal with an elderly woman crying and begging me.
Cc: Wirinet KingEbukasBlog Bibi294 greatface.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by greatface(m): 8:05pm On Nov 09, 2017
4kings:

OP, I understand why you pity her but it is not entirely impossible for her to fake such. I would have pity on her if I am to be you so believe me when I say I do understand.

I got a bike for a good friend not so long ago, he is to be paying back little by little. He paid N3000 the first week and failed to make any further payment for the next year and close to 3yrs now.

I later understood which he confirmed that he was making payments for new bike without my notice. The deal went bad and the guy flee with his money. That was when he came to me for help but I won't be so stupid to offer him such.

He would later come to explain and ask for forgiveness but I already forgave before he asked.

Am today doing better than him even when he didn't pay back. Reason being that you can't intentionally part with my sweat and turn to excel better than me.

In conclusion, reach deal with her and fulfil your part.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by Bibi294(f): 10:19pm On Nov 09, 2017
4kings:

Just give her time... She'll pay...
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by wirinet(m): 6:48am On Nov 10, 2017
mrjojo:
Update: Contacted a police officer to follow me to the woman's shop, She wasn't there. The police officer had to coerce her house address from her shop neighbor. We got to her house, and I met her. She started crying and begging, I actually pity her. She said she has been sick and no money to even go to the hospital or buy drugs. I just her house, she promised to call tomorrow to fix a certain date she going to pay. I really don't know what else to do, I can't deal with an elderly woman crying and begging me.

Good initial move but bad conclusion. You should have extracted a written undertaken from her in the presence of the police officer on her repayment plan and schedule.

Nigerians are adept at using emotional blackmail and excuses to avoid responsibilities. What is your business if she has been sick, is it your money she was waiting for to cure her sickness? Would she have died if she did not do business with you? One vital requirement of a successful businessman is to avoid imputing emotions in business decisions.

You can't deal with an elderly woman crying and begging you after she reneged on a business obligation? I see you are not prepared for the harsh realities of business.

The woman is just posting you, she has not made the decision to pay you yet.

She promised to call tomorrow to fix a certain date she is going to pay . Read the above statement again especially the bolded words and tell me if it makes sense. So what happens if she does not call or she does not pay on the fixed date she says. You will be back to square one.

You should have made maximum use of the police when you met her at home. You had the element of surprise as she was not expecting you and she was really scared, you would have been able to extract a written commitment from her. You could have even taken a look at her properties and involve seizure of some of her properties in the written commitment.

The next time you come with the same police officer, she might be prepared and the police would be getting weary as the operation is not exactly legal.

I honestly do not know what to advise you know and you have handed the ball back to her court, you have to wait for her call.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by wirinet(m): 6:54am On Nov 10, 2017
Bibi294:

Just give her time... She'll pay...

She had not shown any indication she was ready to pay, so if she is given all the time in the world without any threat of police or legal action, she will not pay.

I have been in this sort of situation numerous times in the past and I knew what it took to collect my money.

2 Likes

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by 4kings: 10:07am On Nov 10, 2017
wirinet:

She had not shown any indication she was ready to pay, so if she is given all the time in the world without any threat of police or legal action, she will not pay.

I have been in this sort of situation numerous times in the past and I knew what it took to collect my money.
In the event when you find out that she really is challenged health-wise and financially, and attempting to garner the money in a short period of time would really affect her, what would you do?

@mrjojo
I wonder what led to that credit transaction in the first part, is she a regular credible customer or a first time customer?
If you sold on credit without a fixed arrangement to a first time customer, then that's messed up, but if she is a regular customer then i think you should talk to her to access her situation and see if you can spare her some time (that's if she has past credibility and is really sick). - Just my thought
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by wirinet(m): 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2017
4kings:

In the event when you find out that she really is challenged health-wise and financially, and attempting to garner the money in a short period of time would really affect her, what would you do?

What do you mean she is really challenged healthwise and financially? Is there any of us that is not challenged healthwise and financially? How does her being challenged healthwise and financially affect our business transaction? She bought goods worth N300,000 and sold to make a profit. She did not deem it necessary to remit a single naira for the birds she sold. After hiding and remaining incommunicado, without pledging when and how she would pay her debt, she is now giving the challenged healthwise excuse after being threatened with police.

I have been doing business for over 20 years and have been told all sorts. Being challenged healthwise is the most common excuse debtors give for not paying their debts, others are close relatives falling sick or even death of their great grand mother. All these are not valid excuses to renege on your debt obligations.

Are you aware that the refusal of the woman to pay for the goods collected can lead to health-wise and financial challenges for the OP? Do you know if he borrowed the money and has to pay interest on it?

It is still people with your sentimental attitude to business that would still castigate banks for refusing to lend money to small businesses.

1 Like

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by 4kings: 1:35pm On Nov 10, 2017
wirinet:

What do you mean she is really challenged healthwise and financially? Is there any of us that is not challenged healthwise and financially? How does her being challenged healthwise and financially affect our business transaction? She bought goods worth N300,000 and sold to make a profit. She did not deem it necessary to remit a single naira for the birds she sold. After hiding and remaining incommunicado, without pledging when and how she would pay her debt, she is now giving the challenged healthwise excuse after being threatened with police.

I have been doing business for over 20 years and have been told all sorts. Being challenged healthwise is the most common excuse debtors give for not paying their debts, others are close relatives falling sick or even death of their great grand mother. All these are not valid excuses to renege on your debt obligations.

Are you aware that the refusal of the woman to pay for the goods collected can lead to health-wise and financial challenges for the OP? Do you know if he borrowed the money and has to pay interest on it?

It is still people with your sentimental attitude to business that would still castigate banks for refusing to lend money to small businesses.
Hmm, deep.
Lesson learnt.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by RuggedSniper: 1:36am On Jun 29, 2020
greatface:
Creditors and Debtors

How sweet people sounds when coming for credits or to borrow from you will actually live you with no option than to consider them angels and saints who ever keeps to their words.

But once out of compassion you accept to help, they automatically change for worse. Even the devil will be amazed at their level of expertary in crafting excusses each time you request for payback.

They can even fake death just to avade/avert payback.

They have dealt with me within the past and present year that am considering never to help again.
^^ grin... 'they can even fake death' cc:@Lekki1444

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by lekki1444: 1:38am On Jun 29, 2020
RuggedSniper:
^^ grin... 'they can even fake death' cc:@Lekki1444
lmao its life. just give what you can give. never lend people money grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by gbengalite(m): 7:26pm On May 31, 2021
Think about hiring a Debt management agency.

One important thing to know about debt management plans is that you do not necessarily have to handle them yourself. Whilst it is possible that you can set up a plan by yourself, you should allow a more experienced body to do the job for you. You might want to consider engaging the services of a debt management agency like [url=https://]Mwanga[/url] now.

Finally, even after your debt management plan succeeds and your business gets a larger percentage of its money owed paid back, keep making a responsible debt management plan for your business.
For more tips on how to do this, sign up for our newsletters to get the latest tips for your business, customers, and debtors. You can also click here to see what services we offer and how we can help you and your business.
Re: Help, How Do I Recover A Debt. by sellers4buyers(m): 10:38am On Mar 03, 2022
If you must owe, owe debts that will be used for production or for business transactions.

If you are indebted and paying your debtors is a challenge, get intouch with Debtbuyerng. We pay your debt while you pay or small small over a period of 5years. Get intouch at debtbuyerng@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Verify/Unblock Your Amazon Account Here! / NSE: Market Capitalisation Up N88bn / Buy Cheap Heavy Data (airtel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.