Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG (21739 Views)

Gas Shortage: Blackout Looms Nationwide As Gencos Cut Generation / Blackout Looms As Gencos Threaten Shutdown Over Charge / Consumers Now Free To Buy Electricity Directly From Gencos – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by okeamuboy: 12:29pm On Nov 07, 2017
Oga, ibafo electricity was switched on late september after many years in darkness. i live there. get ur facts right.
Habyz:

WTF! Why would you bring tribalism into this? For your information the city of Ibafo, Ogun state hardly have any electricity. You should go their and see how it is.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by mapet: 12:33pm On Nov 07, 2017
reflexionz:
please before any one starts saying anything, understand some terms, Eligible customers and Large Power Users, so dont think with your Prepaid Single phase meter you wont utilize the disco?
in other news it just spells doom for the discos and more woos on the customers, LPUs make up for about 70% of discos revenue, take that away and wow you have a major hole in revenue which will be transferred to non LPU's (residential and commercial).
these guys are jokers they have no idea what they are doing there? power sector needs long term investment to secure infrastructure and network integrity. SIMPLE!

Unfortunately the Discos have themselves to blame for loosing grounds here. They sat all the while and did not make any new investment, they were contented with vague estimated billings and refused to invest in card meters until lately forced to do so. They were contented with cheap revenue from LPUs.

Do you know that part of the Disco license enabled them to have embeded Gencos? A Disco can partner with a small power-plant, produce private power and the Disco can sell directly? I would have tot this is what the Discos should have extended to LPUs and sell the power from the Gencos to use end-customers. I am not sure if any Disco executed that option.This is what the govt has taken from their hands and given to Gencos.....unfortunately!

3 Likes

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by mapet: 12:39pm On Nov 07, 2017
Originalsly:
As I understand it.... this is for large electricity users only...... they would bypass the middle man DISCOS and buy directly from GENCOS. That's fine.... they the big companies will have much lower bills and more likely would increase their electricity usage. When they increase usage there would be less electricity available for the masses...the small electricity users. T[b]here would be less income for the DISCOS. So guess what the DISCOS will do to maintain their level of income? Increase tariff on the less electricity it will be distributing.... and that is what will be our share...bigger bills.[/b] There is nothing in this bill to freeze tariff for the small man nor to maintaining his supply.

Slow down. Discos CANNOT increase tarriff arbitrarily, that is why we have NERC. I think the upside of this is that it will make the Discos to get up their fat asses and actually develop their market. For example they will invest in and commit to metering, so that they can increase their revenues

2 Likes

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by mapet: 12:45pm On Nov 07, 2017
alfanio:

Originalsly: :
As I understand it.... this is for large electricity users only...... they would bypass the middle man DISCOS and buy directly from GENCOS. That's fine.... they the big companies will have much lower bills and more likely would increase their electricity usage. When they increase usage there would be less electricity available for the masses...the small electricity users. There would be less income for the DISCOS. So guess what the DISCOS will do to maintain their level of income? Increase tariff on the less electricity it will be distributing.... and that is what will be our share...bigger bills. There is nothing in this bill to freeze tariff for the small man nor to maintaining his supply.
Very wrong submission here. the power the large electricity users will be using will the excess 2000MW that the Discos have not being able to accept so more electricity for ordinary users and more funds for Gencos.

True dat. .......but what happens when the LPUs exhaust the 2GW and demand for more, especially when they come cash-at-hand as against the need to wait for some complex reconciliation? The last power audit done on Lagos shows that Lagos needs about 20GW, a substantial part of power consumption in Lagos comes from the industries and LPUS, so only a matter of time before Lagos LPUs alone exhaust the 2GW

1 Like

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Originalsly: 12:47pm On Nov 07, 2017
alfanio:

Very wrong submission here. the power the large electricity users will be using will the excess 2000MW that the Discos have not being able to accept so more electricity for ordinary users and more funds for Gencos.
Fair.....,but would the cap be 2000?....fine if that will be the reality or if DISCOS will be supplied with all it needs.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Runaway: 12:58pm On Nov 07, 2017
jaheymezz:

where you dey see 12hrs of light o?

Barth never worked with GEJ, he did with Obasajo.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Runaway: 1:00pm On Nov 07, 2017
whateverkay:
Good. Fashola has surpassed Barth Nnaji's overrated achievements in the power sector in 2 years. That enugu man was overhyped under Gej regime but we told them we have better tecnocrats in yoruba land. Every part of Nigeria now has a minimum of 12 hrs electricity daily. Yoruba leads, others follow sad

Barth never worked with GEJ, he did with Obasajo olodo

1 Like

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by bellyjean(m): 1:04pm On Nov 07, 2017
My people, pls see the bigger picture in this great move.

So many times, discos reject power from gencos because of their dilapidated structures and facilities which they deliberately did not improve. Early this year, minister fashola criticised them seriously. He said they knew the state of those structures before they bought them from the government. And they didn't invest to upgrade the structures after buying them.

After the development, discos have just been one of the multiple customers available to the gencos. Discos will now have to step up their game now that they know they are competing with LPUs to get power from gencos.

Moreover, heavy metallurgical companies especially those in Lagos and ogun states generate their own power and also sell excess to private users. I learnt African foundries in Ikorodu supplies homes in lekki via under water cables.

Why are so afraid of challenging and changing the status quo in Nigeria? We can actually do well without the national grid. Redemption camp, winners camp are testimonies of what can bf achieved if power plants fully develop and utilise the power chain. Produce your power and get it to the consumers. Local governemts or state governments can focus on regulating the market in terms of pricing and billings.

The power industry is large enough for hundreds of private investors. I believe minister fashola was appointed not to manage the decay and decadence that has long taken the centre stage in the power sector, but to turn things around with brute and tact.

6 Likes

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by omoiyalayi(m): 1:22pm On Nov 07, 2017
alfanio:

The policy is just meant for heavy users like factories and maybe Airports and the likes so Discos will still be in existence.

OK thanks
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:18pm On Nov 07, 2017
Jesusloveyou:
that is the mess created by your ineffectual buffoon, that also make it impossible to scrap them

Another dummy making an asinine comment: I support neither Jonathan nor Buhari.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by afdc: 3:11pm On Nov 07, 2017
Want Your Website To Be Safe As A Bank Vault In A Military Barracks? Get Web Maintenance NOW!
Many business owners believe that by establishing a business website,they are done. But having a business website is only the beginning. One of the biggest mistakes business owners make is to believe that once their website is up and running, it can take care of itself. Regardless of how technically advanced your new or existing business website is it needs to be updated and maintained on a regular basis. And this is why your business needs a website maintenance plan.

Look at it this way. When you buy a new car you plan on keeping it well maintained with regular oil changes, tire rotation, etc. A business website is very similar and also needs to have regular maintenance. By not having a website maintenance plan your business website will deteriorate and become less useful over time. If you have outdated content, broken links or links that redirect to unrelated pages, your customers will get frustrated and go to your competitors’ better maintained website.

Why maintain a website?

Constantly check bugs, errors, missing links etc
update latest data to make the site and business grow effectively
Help troubleshooting time
Periodical review of traffic statistics and hits to the website
Help improve search engines and page ranking
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Shawnnn01: 3:39pm On Nov 07, 2017
reflexionz:
please before any one starts saying anything, understand some terms, Eligible customers and Large Power Users, so dont think with your Prepaid Single phase meter you wont utilize the disco?
in other news it just spells doom for the discos and more woos on the customers, LPUs make up for about 70% of discos revenue, take that away and wow you have a major hole in revenue which will be transferred to non LPU's (residential and commercial).
these guys are jokers they have no idea what they are doing there? power sector needs long term investment to secure infrastructure and network integrity. SIMPLE!
Can you shut up already. Any allowed consumer daring enough to do away with disco obviously know what it is dealing with. Disco should improve their services to encourage patronage and not hoodwink consumer with their pathetic services like you are proffering.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Habyz(m): 3:40pm On Nov 07, 2017
okeamuboy:
Oga, ibafo electricity was switched on late september after many years in darkness. i live there. get ur facts right.
What happened to Sefu-Ota? undecided
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by FarahAideed: 3:46pm On Nov 07, 2017
whateverkay:
Good. Fashola has surpassed Barth Nnaji's overrated achievements in the power sector in 2 years. That enugu man was overhyped under Gej regime but we told them we have better tecnocrats in yoruba land. Every part of Nigeria now has a minimum of 12 hrs electricity daily. Yoruba leads, others follow sad

Only God will punish you for this lie , Under Barth Nnaji i had almost 24 hours of electricity most times which dropped to about 17 when he left but under Fashola my average is now 5 hours a day so just stop lying ..I have never withnessed electricity so bad that I cant even consumr 5000 naira worth of recharge a month again in a house Where averaged 20k worth of recharge in a month

1 Like

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by okewumi: 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2017
[b]Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by bellyjean(m): 11:17am
Good one Honorable minister.

I have always advocated for a decentralised power system, that is there is no need for power generating companies to keep supplying to a an inefficient and dysfunctional national grid. We can't solve a problem with the same mentality we used to create those problems. We have to tackle it differently.

Let every power generating stations woo companies with the promise of stable power supply 247. We need rapid industrialisation in Nigeria and an inefficient national grid will not help us achieve this. And we will see how quickly the environment of these power companies will develop. If we have been following the developments in the transmission sector, we would see that neither the government nor private investors are willing to invest in it. Common sense tells us that dilapidated cables are not repairable, new cables have to be laid again to the corners of this country. New Substations: step up and step down would have to be installed to enable these new cables deliver optimally. It is a mammoth project which is not feasible and sustainable cost wise.

Taking Egbin thermal power plant for example, out of its total 1320MW capacity, less than 600MW is generated. If they are given the flexibility to feed those companies in Lagos, I believe that they would have been incentivised to get the other turbines working and also scale up.

Minister Fashola should take the bull by the horn and allow these GENCOS to be able to feed residential and office loads. An advantage is that gencos can now add more turbines to their plants I.e scale up as demand increases.

The ministry of power should work on bringing private investors in. Let them choose any part of the country, whether state , city, town, community, and build their power plants there. Let them feed those consumers there. The government via the ministry can work to regulate pricing and billings.

There is no need for government to carry unnecessary burden when there are billions of dollars in the hands of private investors waiting to be utilised.
[/b]

You are too much. Happy to hear a person that understand the philosophy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Shawnnn01: 3:57pm On Nov 07, 2017
FarahAideed:

Only God will punish you for this lie , Under Barth Nnaji i had almost 24 hours of electricity most times which dropped to about 17 when he left but under Fashola my average is now 5 hours a day so just stop lying ..I have never withnessed electricity so bad that I cant even consumr 5000 naira worth of recharge a month again in a house Where averaged 20k worth of recharge in a month

Your father is a diehard liar. You enjoyed 24 hrs light anywhere at anytime in Nigeria?! May Amadioha strick you dead if there is any iota of lie in your submission.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Abudu2000(m): 4:08pm On Nov 07, 2017
whateverkay:
sense fall on you!! Which part is every part?? Speak for your house bro....some parts of Lagos still can't get a token of 3hours daily...

Fashola is close to a mess

2 Likes

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by FarahAideed: 4:10pm On Nov 07, 2017
Shawnnn01:

Your father is a diehard liar. You enjoyed 24 hrs light anywhere at anytime in Nigeria?! May Amadioha strick you dead if there is any iota of lie in your submission.

Yes I had almost 24 hours electricity in my house then , i never said 24 full hours but there were days the electricity would be sustained for 2 to 3 days straight ...I have never experienced worse electricity like this one inder Fashola , I know you are being paid come online and lie
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Abudu2000(m): 4:12pm On Nov 07, 2017
armylord:
here in Jos, plateau state, they've not interrupted the power supply, I dey fear no be small, if them mean us chai, 1full week them no blink light, I dey play my xbox one dey pause am go do some runnings come back e still dey on, bros I'm seeing improvement
transformer burning loading loading kpamurege*in frog voice*
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by Nobody: 4:55pm On Nov 07, 2017
whateverkay:
smh
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by GallantGalaxy: 5:45pm On Nov 07, 2017
Good opportunity for industries to trive. The discos are clearly ineffectual and have no plans to improve they do need the competition to get them off their stupor.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by GallantGalaxy: 6:06pm On Nov 07, 2017
What if what if is a concept by prof of doom we have to take it as a duty to profer solutions.

If they need more then more will be generated as investors see that there is a market for the product. Load rejection is clearly a no no in a country with limited electricity.

Good that fashola is taking the bull by the horns and dealing with the elephant in the room.

mapet:

True dat. .......but what happens when the LPUs exhaust the 2GW and demand for more, especially when they come cash-at-hand as against the need to wait for some complex reconciliation? The last power audit done on Lagos shows that Lagos needs about 20GW, a substantial part of power consumption in Lagos comes from the industries and LPUS, so only a matter of time before Lagos LPUs alone exhaust the 2GW
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by kessiah: 6:25pm On Nov 07, 2017
whateverkay:
Ask residents in Ifako ijaye LG of Lagos state, if they can boost of 6 hours light in 3 days
Block head

2 Likes

Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by mamaafrik(m): 4:12am On Nov 08, 2017
Realdeals:
Industrial and large residential estate should tap into this opportunity.
i'm expecting lagos and Ogun to run a parallel transmission line to feed their industries.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by ernieboy(m): 7:37pm On Nov 08, 2017
spawnx:
The Discos manage maintenance issues on a disco route, so if you choose to buy power from Genco who manages faults.
customers have been buying transformers and fixing distribution faults since inception, my only issue is how customers will setup their own distribution lines especially if they are not located close to the generation companies.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by ernieboy(m): 7:45pm On Nov 08, 2017
bellyjean:
My people, pls see the bigger picture in this great move.

So many times, discos reject power from gencos because of their dilapidated structures and facilities which they deliberately did not improve. Early this year, minister fashola criticised them seriously. He said they knew the state of those structures before they bought them from the government. And they didn't invest to upgrade the structures after buying them.

After the development, discos have just been one of the multiple customers available to the gencos. Discos will now have to step up their game now that they know they are competing with LPUs to get power from gencos.

Moreover, heavy metallurgical companies especially those in Lagos and ogun states generate their own power and also sell excess to private users. I learnt African foundries in Ikorodu supplies homes in lekki via under water cables.

Why are so afraid of challenging and changing the status quo in Nigeria? We can actually do well without the national grid. Redemption camp, winners camp are testimonies of what can bf achieved if power plants fully develop and utilise the power chain. Produce your power and get it to the consumers. Local governemts or state governments can focus on regulating the market in terms of pricing and billings.

The power industry is large enough for hundreds of private investors. I believe minister fashola was appointed not to manage the decay and decadence that has long taken the centre stage in the power sector, but to turn things around with brute and tact.
all these suggestions are OK and they will only happen if the fg releases its grip on the power sector. why should a state or lg have to seek permission from the fg to build an embedded power plant for example and even if they do they may not be able to distribute except through the corrupt dicos.
Re: Customers Now To Buy Electricity Direct From Gencos - FG by aribisala0(m): 7:54pm On Nov 08, 2017
whateverkay:
I wonder why you got 74 likes for this twaddle

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Reacts To Ortom's Impeachment Notice / Cash Transfer: We’re Scrutinising National Social Register – Senate / Isoko Community Vows To Banish Anyone Who Votes For APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.