Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips (3679 Views)

$200billion Loot In Dubai:EFCC Trails 7 Ex-Governors,6 Ex-Ministers,5 PDP Chiefs / Buhari Bars Incoming Ministers From Using Long Convoys, Appointing Excess Aides / Buhari Warns Airport Officials Against Stopping Ex-ministers From Travelling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by trueword: 4:35am On Mar 20, 2010
Jonathan bars ex-ministers from foreign trips
Mar 20, 2010

*As petitions flood Aso Rock, contract inflation, money laundering, misappropriation of funds cited

By Kingsley Omonobi
Indications emerged in Abuja yesterday that Acting President Goodluck Jonathan has barred all ministers of the just dissolved executive council of the federation from travelling out of the country in the next one month.

The restriction is to ensure that the ex-ministers would be available to provide answers to possible questions concerning their ministries as the nation awaits appointment of new ministers. Consequently, the ex-ministers have been told to make their movements within the country known to appropriate authorities and no ex-minister must travel outside the country within the period.

Presidency sources said the decision to bar the ministers from travelling out of the country was not unconnected with petitions that had started flooding the Presidential villa over the sins committed by many of the ministers while in office, particularly as it concerned contract inflation, money laundering, misappropriation of funds and other unimaginable deeds.

As a result, the source said that the federal government panel inaugurated by Acting President Jonathan last month, has been given the go-ahead to move into the ministries now that there are no stumbling blocks to examine the petitions so far received, adding that from all indications, some of the ministers may be made to face anti-corruption charges if found wanting.

It was gathered that some ministers, particularly those said to have been directly in charge of Power, Agriculture, Aviation and Water and Petroleum Resources, are said to be on the front list because of the volume of petitions regarding their conduct while at the helm of affairs of the ministries.

It was further gathered that security agencies, especially those saddled with security at the various exit outlets of the nation, have been intimated of the federal government directive and urged them to ‘politely turn back’ any of such minister that may claim ignorance and wanted to travel.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/20/jonathan-bars-ex-ministers-from-foreign-trips/
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by trueword: 4:37am On Mar 20, 2010
I bet Jonathan will keep a close eye on Lukman to see if he actually listen to the order of not traveling out. I'm sure Jonathan remembers how Lukman ignored him the last time.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Fhemmmy: 4:40am On Mar 20, 2010
I think this guy has more brain than people think . . . . this is the time to question them and probe them all they want
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by cap28: 5:04am On Mar 20, 2010
yes i think he's doing the right thing but while he's at it perhaps he could start by reopening his wife's case with the EFCC - you know the N104m which she stole from the bayelsa state treasury and of course the other $13.5m again stolen from the bayelsa treasury, its nice to know that nigeria's acting first lady was indicted on money laundering charges which were subsequently quashed - nigeria, what a country.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Kobojunkie: 5:13am On Mar 20, 2010
cap28:

yes i think he's doing the right thing but [size=13pt]while he's at it perhaps he could start by reopening his wife's case with the EFCC - you know the N104m which she stole from the bayelsa state treasury and of course the other $13.5m again stolen from the bayelsa treasury[/size], its nice to know that nigeria's acting first lady was indicted on money laundering charges which were subsequently quashed - nigeria, what a country.

Roflmao!!! I am so waiting for the rebuttle to this  from anyone who dares!! Roflmao!!
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Nobody: 6:14am On Mar 20, 2010
The kind of crap newspapers publish and call them headline news
Some of this editors still live in Military captive mentality

Ex-ministers are now private citizens. Nobody can restrict their movement without arresting them, charging them to court or get them convicted for a particular offence.

You can't bar people from travelling because you have a mere petition on your table. That is simply abuse of presidential powers.

If anything if he is asking some of these guys to stay around he simply wants to give them a job, otherwise this news is simply crap.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by blacksta(m): 6:58am On Mar 20, 2010
mikeansy:

Ex-ministers are now private citizens. Nobody can restrict their movement without arresting them, charging them to court or get them convicted for a particular offence.

You can't bar people from travelling because you have a mere petition on your table. That is simply abuse of presidential powers.

If anything if he is asking some of these guys to stay around he simply wants to give them a job, otherwise this news is simply crap.

Well Said - Newspaper news in Nigeria is one of the worst i across in the world very speculative- I hardly bother to read the on-line papers any more. I strongly believe most paper just write for the sake of writing - hardly will find any with core investigative skills
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by sojjy: 7:02am On Mar 20, 2010
Power drunk ministers that relegated the office of vice president(whenJonathan was V.P) to play the role of second fiddle without regard to the occupant of that offix are in big mess.Some of them took the advantage of ailing Yar'adua to super enrich themselves and their cronies.They must be probed.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by slap1(m): 7:22am On Mar 20, 2010
My hands are still in my pocket, when he finishes what he started I'll clap for him.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by yemmight(m): 3:24pm On Mar 20, 2010
I think the guy now gets confidence than before.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Sunofgod(m): 3:28pm On Mar 20, 2010
He should instigate the investigation of all of them, crooks.

Also he should remember to request details of their foreign accounts and assets aquired and see what they have been doing whilst in office.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by gidson12(m): 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
I'm loving this guy, dats if he's doin it out of genuine interest rather than a payback 4 wat d ministers did 2 him
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Bukittes(f): 3:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
Laudable! Very Laudable!!!
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by violent(m): 3:21pm On Mar 22, 2010
All along i tot he's a slow incapable dunce. . .now he's really starting to prove me wrong!
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Bruekeleen: 3:37pm On Mar 22, 2010
This is mind game 101 and I enjoy the way Joe is playing it with the ex-ministers! Whilst some, if not  most of them might have been advised or thinking of jetting out of the country; I do believe they are also, thinking they still have a chance at getting back a ministerial re-appointment, thus their justification(s) for not embarking on a foreign trip. However, I do believe that going on foreign trip or not, an average rouge Minister or Politician in 9ja have one or two errand goons that they use as a courier to ship their loots out of the country.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by grabdbull: 3:40pm On Mar 22, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan - The man with the master plan. His actions portray him as a shrewd politician with a lucid vision on what exactly to do in order to  uplift his people. Is this for real, or just the initial gra-gra (IGG)?
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by alanbolo(m): 3:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
A welcoming development,  as they say -   I'll just siddon look.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Beaf: 3:47pm On Mar 22, 2010
mikeansy:

Sorry, but it can be done and it is not against the law. The police or other law enforcer can put a bar on anybody's movement.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by alanbolo(m): 3:58pm On Mar 22, 2010
Beaf:

Sorry, but it can be done and it is not against the law. The police or other law enforcer can put a bar on anybody's movement.

seconded, it's been done all over the world to anyone whom the intelligence agencies have questions with, however, they can still travel out under certain circumstances with govt. approval.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Meldrick(m): 4:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
mikeansy:

So anybody can hold a public office and loot and steal as he likes then after his tenure he jets out of the country freely for as long as he likes without giving an account of stewardship. It is now wrong for the No 1 citizen to stop him from travelling until he gives an account of how he handled finance when he was in government. YOU TRY
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by BynoBaba: 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2010
I think, if Jonathan REALLY wants to change things in this country, he could start by granting Ribadu a presidential pardon, and re-instating him as chairman of the EFCC.

Politicians will take off through Cameroun and Seme borders.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by lordbayor(m): 4:28pm On Mar 22, 2010
mikeansy:

i disagree with u , the president have the right to say so with the help of the law enforcement agency , just as the usa have some set of people that they have listed as in NO FLY LIST , infact these people most of them are not even living in the usa, so should we say that, that is abuse of POWER?
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by unclebros: 4:30pm On Mar 22, 2010
Conny man die, Conny man bury am! Gbam!
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by otawa: 4:42pm On Mar 22, 2010
Goodluck has NO power or right to bar anyone from travelling!

Nigeria Police has no power either WITHOUT a clear order from a court of law.

The court of law also has no right without proper evidence to issue such a notice to bar anyone.

This is democrazy for crying out loud!

while he's at it perhaps he could start by reopening his wife's case with the EFCC - you know the N104m which she stole from the bayelsa state treasury and of course the other $13.5m again stolen from the bayelsa treasury

Gbosa!!!
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by splashbaby(m): 5:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
alanbolo:

seconded, it's been done all over the world to anyone whom the intelligence agencies have questions with, however, they can still travel out under certain circumstances with govt. approval.
Absolutely right
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by nethacker(m): 6:43pm On Mar 22, 2010
Byno Baba:

I think, if Jonathan REALLY wants to change things in this country, he could start by granting Ribadu a presidential pardon, and re-instating him as chairman of the EFCC.

Politicians will take off through Cameroun and Seme borders.
ROFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
u aint here to see how i dey laugh with all the 4 compass of my mouth grin grin grin grin grin . na jos those politicians go go grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by marvix(m): 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
Quote from Cap28
yes i think he's doing the right thing but while he's at it perhaps he could start by reopening his wife's case with the EFCC - you know the N104m which she stole from the bayelsa state treasury and of course the other $13.5m again stolen from the bayelsa treasury, its nice to know that nigeria's acting first lady was indicted on money laundering charges which were subsequently quashed - nigeria, what a country.

Y do people just like to say rubbish on threads, or mayb he shld let d ministers b because his wife was indicted. Y don't we leave his wifes case till Yaradua returns as some pple are assurin us he would. If u can't be a judge in ur own case it should also hold that you can't be your own accuser.
One question for u, should we wait until a saint comes to power before we fight corruption?
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by Bluhazel: 7:56pm On Mar 22, 2010
@ Topic
LIVE AND LET'S DIE IN NAIJA grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by jumobi1(m): 7:59pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ribadu is NOT safe in Nigeria. Even if they make him Minister of Ministers, his life is in grave danger. If I am him, I'll stay out of Naija for a while. Unless he wants to die for Naija.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by cap28: 8:05pm On Mar 22, 2010
marvix:

Quote from Cap28

Y do people just like to say rubbish on threads, or mayb he shld let d ministers b because his wife was indicted. Y don't we leave his wifes case till Yaradua returns as some pple are assurin us he would. If u can't be a judge in your own case it should also hold that you can't be your own accuser.
One question for u, should we wait until a saint comes to power before we fight corruption?

first of all this man and his wife have so many skeletons in their cupboard that had it been they were in a normal country and not a banana republic like nigeria they would have been looking at spending the rest of their natural life behind bars, the idea that a man who along with his wife looted millions of dollars from thier state treasury are now the acting president and first lady respectively speaks volumes about the sort of country nigeria is, but what i find really tragic is that instead of being outraged that one set of criminals are being replaced with yet another set you get angry when people point out the truth, why are you so incensed about me highlighting Jonathan's wife's looting, can you not see that Jonathan and his crew are taking the nigerian people for a ride yet again with his fake promise about bringing his former accomplices to book for corruption, how can a criminal talk about corruption when he is up to his neck in corruption?  

are you so delusional that you think that a man whose wife was indicted on money laundering charges can in the same breath declare that he wants to go after corrupt politicians - are these people he's talking about not his former accomplices? if i were any of those ministers i would refuse point blank to cooperate with him until he reopens his wifes case, what is good for the goose should also be good for the gander, you cant pick and choose who to prosecute, if he really wants to convince the nigerian populace that he is indeed an anti corrupton president (which is a complete contradiction in terms because a corrupt and rotten person can not also claim to be advocating anti corruption) let him start with his wife so that nigerians will be convinced that he means business.

as for yaradua returning - all i can say is -  is that in this life or the after life!

let me ask you a simple question - why is it that up till now nobody has seen or heard from yaradua and why is it that there has been no effort on the part of Jonathan and his crew to provide any credible explanation as to his whereabouts?
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by mrkoma2012: 9:26pm On Mar 22, 2010
Restriction of peoples movement without any concrete charges against the ministers are simply misuse of presidental powers.
Re: Jonathan Bars Ex-ministers From Foreign Trips by eros(m): 10:31pm On Mar 22, 2010
And the drama continues until the chosen one comes to behead the monster and take his rightful place. Nigeria will flourish again, that i am sure of, until then let's enjoy the sorrow and frustration while it lasts.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics / Extreme Poverty In Nigeria, Do Your Part To Help / NLC names spot after victim of Ilorin protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.