Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law (3676 Views)

Jonathan Signs 6 Bills Into Law / Jonathan Signs Two Bills Into Law. / Rights Commission’s Boss Declares Assets Publicly: Gej What About U? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by EzeUche(m): 12:19am On Mar 28, 2011
[b]Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law
[/b]March 28, 2011

BY INNOCENT ANABA

President Goodluck Jonathan has signed the National Human Rights Commission Amendment Bill into law, bringing to an end, more than eight years of legislative advocacy and executive lobbying.

The National Human Rights Commission of Nigeria, NHRC, March 27, 2011 was established by decree in 1995, with a mandate to promote and protect human rights.

According to the Commission’s Executive Secretary, Mr Roland Ewubare, “the passage of the Bill, will strengthen the operational efficiency of the Commission and upgrade the status of Nigeria at the International Coordinating Committee, ICC, of Human Rights Institutions.”

He added that Nigeria was stripped of its voting rights and downgraded to “B” status  at the ICC, three years ago, due to lack of independence of the NHRC.

He, however, expressed delight that the content of the new law, particularly as it relates to security of tenure, independence for the Commission and additional powers of investigation and enforcement will further strengthen the Commission and ensure its upgrading to “A” status.

Mr Ewubare commended President Goodluck for signing the Bill into law and urged the government to provide adequate funding for the implementation of the provisions of the new law.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/jonathan-signs-human-rights-commission-bill-into-law/

[img]http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/iol-pic-goodluck-jonathan-1.1025412!/image/1553150881.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/1553150881.jpg[/img]
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by twinstaiye(m): 11:37am On Mar 28, 2011
Good move, well done Mr. President. Now you have further justify my resolve and my entire household to vote for you.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by THEAMAKA(f): 11:42am On Mar 28, 2011
can't people see that he is just doing all of this NOW to be reelected? SMH. when will some people WAKE UP.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by babyme1(f): 11:42am On Mar 28, 2011
kiss kiss
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by Arosa(m): 11:45am On Mar 28, 2011
Nice one GEJ. you will win this election. cool
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by EvilBrain1(m): 12:18pm On Mar 28, 2011
I'm not convinced. It's election time and signing this costs him nothing. Let him sign the Freedom of Information Act and then we'll talk.

When he actually does something to inconvenience the PDP looters, I'll start to reconsider my opinion of him as an empty-headed sockpuppet.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by pinkrex(m): 12:22pm On Mar 28, 2011
can't people see that he is just doing all of this NOW to be reelected? SMH. when will some people WAKE UP.

Can yu just sharraappp, what matters is that its done, do yu think it will take just one miraclause day to turn Nigeria into heaven? The guy don try nau even if it s election strategy or not.

who is the most qualified candidate apart from Gej sef?
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by coolpapa: 12:38pm On Mar 28, 2011
Evil Brain:

I'm not convinced. It's election time and signing this costs him nothing. Let him sign the Freedom of Information Act and then we'll talk.

When he actually does something to inconvenience the PDP looters, I'll start to reconsider my opinion of him as an empty-headed sockpuppet.

No body wants your deluded mindset convinced. your consideration are irrelevent, so why don't you go home and bury your bumb and clueless ass. GEJ remains unbeatagle and done pretty well in a short period of time. you should learn to call a spade a spade when it is necessary.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by THEAMAKA(f): 12:42pm On Mar 28, 2011
pinkrex:

Can yu just sharraappp, what matters is that its done, do yu think it will take just one miraclause day to turn Nigeria into heaven? The guy don try nau even if it s election strategy or not.

who is the most qualified candidate apart from Gej sef?

you are soooooo dumb! this is not about small small things here and there, we need a LONG-TERM President. and then he is reelected and everything will just go back to their old ways, you'll see. why is it now that he is choosing to "sign all these bills into law"
im sorry but you are part of the problem with Nigeria today. any candidate that is part of PDP is good-for-nothing. wait, if GEJ is reelected, expect NOTHING out of his term. there will be very little done so he can say "look im doing this that and the other" and Nigerians will start giving him a heroic praise because we all know how much Nigerians love to celebrate mediocrity.
anyway, he said Nigeria should see constant electricity by April 2011 and that is only a few days away. so who is really filled with empty promises? SMH. some people will never learn.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by otokx(m): 12:43pm On Mar 28, 2011
What of minimum wage bill?
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by THEAMAKA(f): 12:55pm On Mar 28, 2011
otokx:

What of minimum wage bill?
i agree he has done SOME positive things, but its just to be reelected and thats all. SMH, some people sef.
lemme tell you now, PDP is NOT your friend.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:18pm On Mar 28, 2011
OMFG!! all this while i have been protesting (rioting) demonstrating without adequate constitutional protection!! shocked Thank God for my Life ooh. Hyiiaa!!!

I need to print a copy and attach it tp my PLACARD next time wink
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by pinkrex(m): 1:22pm On Mar 28, 2011
you are soooooo dumb! this is not about small small things here and there, we need a LONG-TERM President. and then he is reelected and everything will just go back to their old ways, you'll see. why is it now that he is choosing to "sign all these bills into law"
im sorry but you are part of the problem with Nigeria today. any candidate that is part of PDP is good-for-nothing. wait, if GEJ is reelected, expect NOTHING out of his term. there will be very little done so he can say "look im doing this that and the other" and Nigerians will start giving him a heroic praise because we all know how much Nigerians love to celebrate mediocrity.
anyway, he said Nigeria should see constant electricity by April 2011 and that is only a few days away. so who is really filled with empty promises? SMH. some people will never learn.

Who is talking about PDP here? sharrap dsnt equate dumbness u knw,
I want to explain something really educating to yu but first tell me who amongst the Aspirants is better off Gej?
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by ndu1988: 1:54pm On Mar 28, 2011
Quote from: Evil Brain on Today at 12:18:28 PM

When he actually does something to inconvenience the PDP looters, I'll start to reconsider my opinion of him as an empty-headed sockpuppet

It is very obvious that you lack sagacity and precision on who to vote for. But I can assure you that nobody wants your conviction. Whether it's a election time or not he has signed Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law.Go and hug transform for all I care.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by ndu1988: 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2011
Thank you Mr. President for Signing Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law. It further justify your capability, Tenaciousness, and vision for Naija.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by yemmight(m): 2:22pm On Mar 28, 2011
ndu1988:

Thank you Mr. President for Signing Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law. It further justify your capability, Tenaciousness, and vision for Naija.

angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by eros(m): 2:41pm On Mar 28, 2011
But this is just an election stunt. GEJ did nit sign this bill because he wanted to or know what it means signing it. His PR and advisers simply told him to sign it because it will make him look good before the people. GEJ still remains as clueless as ever and a puppet in OBJ's hands.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by otitokoro1: 2:49pm On Mar 28, 2011
Mr Ewubare commended President Goodluck for signing the Bill into law and urged the government to provide adequate funding for the implementation of the provisions of the new law.

How many Billion $ will be required for this? grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 28, 2011
Its funny how some people think.
Mr. President is making efforts for a free and fair elections in which he is contesting! This act alone overides whatever sentiment anyone might have against him.

LIke I said somewhere, head or tail, Jonathan will "win". Even a loss of this election will lift higher in the eyes of the the international community. Yet, we are optimistic that he will win.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by kennykane1(m): 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2011
I'm not moved at all. Afterall our constitutional book is more or less the same with Gadaffi's green book. All the laws are there but not upheld, HUGE rub**sh from gringory.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2011
This bill was passed in February of 2010. Why did it take the president this long to sign the bill? Is this a sign that we probably will not be getting FOI before the election?
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 28, 2011
Stop wasting our time, sign the FOI, minimum wage and PIB bills angry
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by hackney(m): 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2011
random thoughts:
I have a feeling that the only president that has the guts to sort out NEPA will
have to come from the north.

the rest are second rate, god-son twats.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by EzeUche(m): 3:39pm On Mar 28, 2011
We are moving in the right direction my compatriots. smiley
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 28, 2011
EzeUche:

We are moving in the right direction my compatriots. smiley
How?
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by yemmight(m): 3:51pm On Mar 28, 2011
blink182:

Stop wasting our time, sign the FOI, minimum wage and PIB bills angry

Seconded. And let his political advisers advice him what to do at the right time and let him face other presidential candidates and tell the whole world programmes he has for this country.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by ndu1988: 3:57pm On Mar 28, 2011
A vote for GEJ is a vote for Goodluck,patience,Peace, Justice,equity, Fairness and Harmony. I implore you guys to vote for a man with vision of bringing about developmental changes.He is the leading Exponent and catalyst for change Nigerians are yearning for. Goodluck to me to you and to Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by yemmight(m): 4:03pm On Mar 28, 2011
ndu1988:

A vote for GEJ is a vote for Goodluck,patience,Peace, Justice,equity, Fairness and Harmony. I implore you guys to vote for a man with vision of bringing about developmental changes.He is the leading Exponent and catalyst for change Nigerians are yearning for. Goodluck to me to you and to Nigeria.

You people have used goodluck to deceive nigerians. We don't want goodluck anymore. All we need is a well-deserved president and not a trial and error president, I beg.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by Bese: 4:30pm On Mar 28, 2011
NL, LET'S BEGIN TO APPRECIATE LITTLE THINGS.
GEJ has tried compared to others past heads of state / presidents who stay longer on office with little or no signing of bills that were on queue.
My vote goes to GEJ/ MNS
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by Asobank: 4:46pm On Mar 28, 2011
eros:

But this is just an election stunt. GEJ did nit sign this bill because he wanted to or know what it means signing it. His PR and advisers simply told him to sign it because it will make him look good before the people. GEJ still remains as clueless as ever and a puppet in OBJ's hands.

I don't think u GEJ haters know what u're talking about. Simply walk down the road and hug transformer or better still go to the zoo,demand for your serial no. and lock urselves inside the cage. GEJ have good intentions for the people. U all will be witnesses when he is eventually Elected as President few days to come. GEJ CARRY ON,
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by somze(f): 4:49pm On Mar 28, 2011
Good one Mr President.
Re: Jonathan Signs Human Rights Commission Bill Into Law by babaowo: 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2011
Signing is cheap but to be effective is more important. Pls n/l i'm tired of hausa be a president lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Leaders Rally Round HID Awolowo / The Cassava Boom!!! / Picture Of Patience Jonathan's Graduation Back In The Days - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.