Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,290 members, 7,818,988 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why (1657 Views)

Poll: Do you believe in your heart of hearts that Islam is a religion of peace ?

Yes: 50% (20 votes)
No: 45% (18 votes)
Not so sure: 5% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Islam A Religion Of Peace Or Violence? / Is Islam Really A Religion Of Peace? / Is This A Religion: Sharia Law:punishment For Adultery And Fornication : (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 20, 2010
‘On Saturday, a frenzied mob of three thousand Muslims stormed the tiny Pakistani Christian village of Gojra. Enflamed by (unconfirmed) charges that a Christian had burned pages of the Qur’an, the mob burned down fifty homes, burned eight Christians alive, and wounded twenty others. Thousands of Christians fled the area.

Last Thursday, enraged by the same report of blasphemy, another Muslim mob torched seventy-five Christian homes, along with two churches, in Koriyan, a village near Gojra.

Muslims are not persecuting Christians only in Pakistan. On July 18, Muslims in Alexandria, Egypt kidnapped a sixteen-year-old Christian girl, Amira Markos, while she was on her way to work. Shortly thereafter her mother received a phone call: “At 10 o’clock of the same morning someone called me and asked if I was Amira’s mother. He introduced himself as Sheikh Mohammed, and said that my daughter is fine and will convert to Islam. When I cried and begged him to let me have my daughter back, he said he would let me see her again after her conversion to Islam, and ended the call.”

Amira’s mother went to a local mosque, where matters got even worse. A Muslim sheikh told her: “Listen, mother of Amira, I am warning you not to report the abduction to the police or do anything, the price will be your son Meena [a nine-year-old boy] being slaughtered in front of your own eyes. I am not threatening, I’m talking seriously. Listen, your daughter Amira will convert to Islam next Friday, and we are now preparing her for that. Now go home and stay indoors until everything is quietly over.”’

This makes me wonder , the more violence we see in the name of Islam the more Muslims clamour to tell us it is a religion of peace ?
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Kay17: 4:09pm On Mar 20, 2010
just like Christianity: destructive.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by nopuqeater: 7:07pm On Mar 20, 2010
the evil christians are at it again with their lies. why amira? why not the whole of christians in egypt? we still find christians in egypt, today. if the above story is true, the mother of amira should have been converted when she was a girl, like her daughter, amira.

and as to the pakistani stuation; if christians are minority, why take on the majority by burning their Book, and let the smoke even filter out?

can you imagine a muslim go to adeboye's church and lite up the Bible while the congregation is full, in a sunday service; will the muslim man come out alive, you poor spirited people? honsty is so strange to your lips. while i hate te behaviors of the muslims and their quick to anger, i wonder if the christians are blind to the fact that when Jesus was perceived to be in danger, his disciple who believed him message and leadership reacted with he sword heasked them to purchase. well Muhammad is not here to cauton the Muslims, so why dothe christians pull the tail of the dormant tiger?

and dnt give me tht Christians dont lash out violently; america did pre-emptive strikes on Iraq. and did not turn the other cheek to Afghanistan; both cases, christian america will tell you that they are within their national rights and i say christian rights, since thy d not cease to be christianseven as they kill human bengs. they pray to the three gods, observe christmas, easter,etc and sunday church service they attend.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by snowdrops(m): 7:30pm On Mar 20, 2010
nopuqeater:

the evil christians are at it again with their lies. why amira? why not the whole of christians in egypt? we still find christians in egypt, today. if the above story is true, the mother of amira should have been converted when she was a girl, like her daughter, amira.

and as to the pakistani stuation; if christians are minority, why take on the majority by burning their Book, and let the smoke even filter out?

can you imagine a muslim go to adeboye's church and lite up the Bible while the congregation is full, in a sunday service; will the muslim man come out alive, you poor spirited people? honsty is so strange to your lips. while i hate te behaviors of the muslims and their quick to anger, i wonder if the christians are blind to the fact that when Jesus was perceived to be in danger, his disciple who believed him message and leadership reacted with he sword heasked them to purchase. well Muhammad is not here to cauton the Muslims, so why dothe christians pull the tail of the dormant tiger?

and dnt give me tht Christians dont lash out violently; america did pre-emptive strikes on Iraq. and did not turn the other cheek to Afghanistan; both cases, christian america will tell you that they are within their national rights and i say christian rights, since thy d not cease to be christianseven as they kill human bengs. they pray to the three gods, observe christmas, easter,etc and sunday church service they attend.
Another brainwashed islamic fundermentalist.
You no well at all.
You ilk are found in a zoo eating banana not on the internet.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by nopuqeater: 11:45pm On Mar 20, 2010
typical white elite response, inhabitant of 10, downing street.

since i am a blackman, i should be eating banana in a zoo cage where i reside. i know, only gorilla, etc eat bananas. no human eat them.

brainless christian. a disgrace to mnkind.

islam is different from muslims, dull minded buffoon. i am praising you, becuse if i abuse you, i will be furious and you will crucify yourself this coming easter.

while muslims may act evil, cowardly and shame islam by the nehavior[s], islam is perfect, protecting community right against that of imposing the rghts of individuals, vice versa as appropriate. while the best of man made law [us constitution] has many addenda. the madinan constitution with dvine inspiration is even valid today as it was 1400+ years ago, if muslims will adhere to it.

and that was sunnah. Quran is the Mother of Sunnah/hadith explaining it.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by chakula: 5:02pm On Mar 23, 2010
@dexmond

I devoutness your existance, neverthless anguish inferno is premeditated for you, if you are not repentant.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by dexmond: 7:25am On Mar 24, 2010
@ CHAKULA

I mean no insult on your religion. Looking at the history of Islam and how it spread trough jihad, one can not but conclude that it is indeed the worst that could have happened to man. The list of Islamic terrorism is just too long.

Byzantine–Arab Wars: 634–750
Conquest of Persia and Iraq: 633–651
Conquest of Transoxiana: 662–709
Conquest of Sindh: 664–712
Conquest of Hispania: 711–718 and Septimania 719–720
Conquest of the Caucasus: 711–750
End of the Umayyad conquests: 718–750
Conquest of Nubia: 700–1606
Incursions into southern Italy: 831–902
Conquest of Anatolia: 1060–1360
Byzantine-Ottoman Wars: 1299–1453

Source: wikipedia
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 24, 2010
snowdrops:

Another brainwashed islamic fundermentalist.
You no well at all.
You ilk are found in a zoo eating banana not on the internet.
Dnt mind the guy,he used to be here,b4 he retreated.Only to return&changed his forum name
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by chakula: 12:36pm On Mar 25, 2010
@toba/snowdrops

Dnt mind the guy,he used to be here,b4 he retreated.Only to return&changed his forum name
[quote][/quote]

Gentlemen, if you can not depend what’s the guy were been posted, please abscond him alone or plot a route from the thread.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Nobody: 3:01am On Mar 31, 2010
I voted no. Islam is at the end of a day a political ideology which advocates the superiority of muslims to non-muslims, and also more obviously the superiority of "people of the book" to atheists and polytheists. It's an intolerant religion which promotes segregation, hate, and conformity to a majority ideal.

Religion of peace? What a joke.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 31, 2010
See the reason below,

"Take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the Lord against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

", They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child
(pregnant) shall be ripped up!" direct quote from YHWH -- Hosea 13:16

Got it?
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Abbaj: 6:57pm On Mar 31, 2010
Muslims in d southern Nigerian are manageble coz der r peacful bt dat of d North? Terrorist abdumutalab aqaida, boko haram, taliban, maitasina, blood thirsty muslims taking our Nigeria backward,
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by RichyBlacK(m): 3:52pm On Apr 01, 2010
Thursday, January 7, 2010
[size=18pt]DUIN: Coptic girls being abducted[/size]

Julia Duin

Ten years ago, I was in Egypt interviewing Coptic Christians who described how persecution by Muslims had become a way of life for them. The situation is worse now because of increased abductions of Coptic girls, who are forced into a sham marriage with a Muslim, raped, forced to convert to Islam and separated for good from their families.

These are girls as young as 12 who are being grabbed off Egyptian streets. Photos are taken while the girl is being raped to blackmail her into converting, says Mary Abdelmassih, a Coptic activist.

"She's told the pictures will go to her family," she told me. "They'd rather die than have that happen."

Today (Jan. 7) being the Coptic Christmas, this as good a time as any to describe how these kidnappings are at epidemic levels in Egypt and how the plight of these poor women has become Christian sex slavery.

Because local police are more often than not in collusion with the kidnappers, the families have to come up with enormous sums to get their daughters back. If the family is poor, their daughter is gone forever. The Assyrian National News Agency says very few of the girls who have been kidnapped since the 1970s ever get returned to their families and none of the kidnappers have been brought to justice.

For instance, after Myrna Gamal Hanna, a 20-year-old Christian woman, called her family Sept. 30 to ask them to rescue her from a forced marriage to a Muslim, her father and five other men showed up at her Alexandria apartment and rescued her. Instead of punishing the husband, police tortured Myrna's family until they revealed where they had hidden the daughter. Then the family had to cough up several thousand dollars for those who had kidnapped the girl.

And last October, Samria Markos, a single mother living in Alexandria, said her 17-year-old daughter, Amira, disappeared while on her way to work at a plastics factory. She got a call from "Sheikh Mohammed" who told her Amira was converting to Islam. When she showed up at a local mosque to look for her daughter, she was told to keep silent or her 9-year-old son would be killed. The woman and her son fled the area. Amira has not been heard from since.

Many groups have criticized Egypt for this. On Nov. 10, Christian Solidarity International sent an open letter to President Obama reminding him of his human rights speech in Cairo last June and pointing out the Egyptian government's tacit approval of this scandal.

And late last month, the Pew Forum specifically mentioned the kidnappings and pinpointed Egypt as one of the world's most religiously repressive countries.

I called the Egyptian Embassy Tuesday for a response but got none. Judging from past responses, the government will say these girls ran away with Muslim men then claimed they were kidnapped to escape the ire of their families.

But Al Ahram, an Egyptian weekly, said in September that relations between Christians and Muslims in Egypt are at a "boiling point" over this. The latest trend, Ms. Abdelmassih says, is that women are being mined for organs, as happened to an American University student who was kidnapped two years ago.

"The kidnappers said to get back his daughter, he had to pay 600,000 Egyptian pounds," she said. "When he protested, he was told both of her kidneys are worth more than that."

Egyptian law forbids the conversion of minors to another religion but that doesn't seem to apply to these hapless Coptic girls. Ms. Abdelmassih said the abductions are part of a campaign to Islamicize Egypt's Christian community.

"It's a business," she said. "For each Christian girl who gets 'converted,' there are Islamic charities that give out money to the husband and the dealers who obtained her."
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by RichyBlacK(m): 3:58pm On Apr 01, 2010
So, it is not enough for these scoundrels to kill their own who choose to leave Islam, they now have to start kidnapping Christian women?

The Coptic Christians need to get organized and start tracing these mofos and taking them out!

It seems the fight against misguided Islam will get more intense in the coming decades.

When will a Muslim cleric openly condemn these atrocities?
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 01, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Yeah, let we christians get organised and , "Take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the Lord against the sun.”Numbers 25:4 and

when we are done organized and start tracing these mofos ", They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child (pregnant) shall be ripped up!" Hosea 13:16

yeah ! Yeah!! the fight against misguided Islam is about to get intense “Wail, for the day of the LORD is near; it will come like destruction from the Almighty.” “Whoever is captured will be thrust through; all who are caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives ravished. Their bows will strike down the young men; they will have no mercy on infants nor will they look with compassion on children.” (Isaiah 13),

Got it?
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by dexmond: 8:03am On Apr 04, 2010
@Richy Black

They are only following the footsteps of their father. His mode of conversion is accept Islam or you will not have your head on you. What can be more demonic than this!
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by nopuqeater: 4:20am On Apr 05, 2010
@Ricky Black: « #16 on: April 01, 2010, 03:58 PM »
So, it is not enough for these scoundrels to kill their own who choose to leave Islam, they now have to start kidnapping Christian women?
former muslims are not supposed to be killed just for leaving Islam. However those who wished to kill you, if you can, you should kill them. Othewise they will kill you if you hesitate. Thats just the facts. I know you will deny the atrocities of the Christians.

The Coptic Christians need to get organized and start tracing these mofos and taking them out!
A mofo like you should go there and help.

It seems the fight against misguided Islam will get more intense in the coming decades.
Misguided Islam? Is there anything like that? Its like saying Misguided Christianity. I know he wantd to say Misguided Muslims.

When will a Muslim cleric openly condemn these atrocities?
If the whole situation was a lie, and you actually find out the truth, from your above statement, you will still accept it as the truth. Now considering that clerics have openly condemned it, if it were true, you will disbelieve its sincerity, and unfortunately for you and the goons relating this type of stories, they will neve tell the truth.

@dexmond: « #18 on: Yesterday at 08:03:10 AM »
@Richy Black

They are only following the footsteps of their father. His mode of conversion is accept Islam or you will not have your head on you. What can be more demonic than this!
No muslim calls anyone "father" excpt his orherown human father. Anyhinelse is a lie. Allah says Muhammad is not a father of any of you men/women. I think dexmond is confusing Islam with his christianity where they leave their own fathers anf call themselves son and daughters of God and some among te yorubas even say hey are omo Jesu. Where did God or Jesu become the husband of your mother? Whee was your father when a male other than him become the father of his children? These questions are rhetorics and not addressed to anyone in particular, but a means of dragging out the truth. Every Christian needs adose of reality about this matter.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by JIjaya: 5:54pm On Apr 19, 2010
Islam is a religion which teaches peace and analyse to faithful muslims how to be in peace with themself and their surrounding.And for those who are blackmailing islam,there should not suppose to be cause for alarm because allah had said in the glorious quran that for those who did not belief in the true faith (islam)there is a seal in there heart and a blockage in their eyes and ears,so they wont see the true way nor hear the true sermon cos they are those whose have gone astray.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 21, 2010
J.Ijaya:

Islam is a religion which teaches peace and analyse to faithful muslims how to be in peace with themself and their surrounding.And for those who are blackmailing islam,there should not suppose to be cause for alarm because allah had said in the glorious quran that for those who did not belief in the true faith (islam)there is a seal in there heart and a blockage in their eyes and ears,so they wont see the true way nor hear the true sermon cos they are those whose have gone astray.

The Myth:

Muhammad was a peaceful man who taught his followers to be the same. Muslims lived peacefully for centuries, fighting only in self-defense - and when it was necessary. True Muslims would never act aggressively.

The Truth:

Muhammad organized 65 military campaigns in the last ten years of his life and personally led 27 of them. The more power that he attained, the smaller the excuse needed to go to battle, until finally he began attacking tribes merely because they were not part of his growing empire.

After Muhammad’s death, his most faithful followers and even his own family turned on each other almost immediately. There were four Caliphs (leaders) in the first twenty-five years, each of which was a trusted companion of his. Three of these four were murdered. The third Caliph was murdered by the son of the first. The fourth Caliph was murdered by the fifth, who left a 100-year dynasty that was ended in a gruesome, widespread bloodbath by descendents of Muhammad’s uncle.

Muhammad’s own daughter, Fatima, and his son-in-law, Ali, who both survived the pagan hardship during the Meccan years safe and sound, did not survive Islam after the death of Muhammad. Fatima died of stress from persecution within three months, and Ali was later assassinated by Muslim rivals. Their son (Muhammad’s grandson) was killed in battle with the faction that became today’s Sunnis. His people became Shias. The relatives and personal friends of Muhammad were mixed into both warring groups, which then fractured further into hostile sub-divisions as Islam expanded.

Muslim apologists who like to say that is impossible for today's terrorists to be Muslim when they kill fellow Muslims would have a very tough time explaining the war between Fatima and Aisha to a knowledgeable audience. Muhammad's favorite daughter and his favorite wife were both explicitly held up by him as model Muslim women before they engaged in violent battle following his death. Which one was the prophet of God so horribly wrong about?

Muhammad left his men with instructions to take the battle against Christians, Persians, Jews and polytheists (which came to include millions of unfortunate Hindus). For the next four centuries, Muslim armies steamrolled over unsuspecting neighbors, plundering them of loot and slaves, and forcing the survivors to either convert or pay tribute at the point of a sword.

Companions of Muhammad lived to see Islam declare war on every major religion in the world in just the first few decades following his death - pressing the Jihad against Hindus, Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, and Buddhists.

By the time of the Crusades (when the Europeans began fighting back), Muslims had conquered two-thirds of the Christian world by sword, from Syria to Spain, and across North Africa.

Millions of Christians were enslaved by Muslims, and tens of millions of Africans. The Arab slave-trading routes would stay open for 1300 years, until pressure from Christian-based countries forced Islamic nations to declare the practice illegal (in theory). To this day, the Muslim world has never apologized for the victims of Jihad and slavery.

There is not another religion in the world that consistently produces terrorism in the name of religion as does Islam. The most dangerous Muslims are nearly always those who interpret the Qur’an most transparently. They are the fundamentalists or purists of the faith, and believe in Muhammad’s mandate to spread Islamic rule by the sword, putting to death those who will not submit.

The holy texts of Islam are saturated with verses of violence and hatred toward those outside the faith. In sharp contrast to the Bible, which generally moves from relatively violent episodes to far more peaceful mandates, the Qur’an travels the exact opposite path (violence is first forbidden, then permitted, then mandatory). The handful of earlier verses that speak of tolerance are overwhelmed by an avalanche of later ones that carry a much different message. While Old Testament verses of blood and guts are generally bound by historical context within the text itself, Qur'anic imperatives to violence usually appear open-ended and subject to personal interpretation.

By any objective measure, the "Religion of Peace" has been the harshest, bloodiest religion the world has ever known.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Jaideyone(m): 4:06pm On May 17, 2010
Did i hear someone say people are blackmailing muslims? Why is it just muslims alone that are being black mailed? Wat about budhists? these muslims are just animals. It's high time for the christians in the north to start fighting back. What about the female corper that was lynched in the north for wearing trousers? That's peace abi? religion of peace? what a joke. All you muslim folks need to sit down for just one day and think straight.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by chakula: 4:48pm On May 17, 2010
Jaidey-one:

It's high time for the christians in the north to start fighting back.

you have to watch your tongue i think is better.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Jaideyone(m): 9:47pm On May 17, 2010
What if i don't? You'll go to the nearest bus stop and blow yourself up abi?
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by JIjaya: 6:22am On May 19, 2010
@jaidey one:i see'ure among those whose allah is refering to.U will never see the truth untill god wills.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Jaideyone(m): 8:10am On May 19, 2010
^^^ wtf is this guy talking about? why is it that every religious crisis in the world is either muslim vs budists or muslim vs christians or muslim vs pagans or muslims vs jews? You guys really need to sit down and think.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by PurestBoy(m): 4:34pm On May 20, 2010
Do you mean religion of peace or piss?
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by PurestBoy(m): 4:38pm On May 20, 2010
I haven't heard that Christian and another other religion fight except muslim. muslim and buddhist, muslim and this, mulism and that. Una Allah is indeed peaceful
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by nadiamalik: 1:07pm On Jun 07, 2010
Islam is the most barbaric cult to have visited mankind. Peace is alien in islam except when under muslim rule (shariah).
Its founder was a world renowned terrorist, murderer, pedophile, occultist, sex addict
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by abdulaa: 7:59pm On Jun 11, 2010
POST LIKE THIS WILL ALWAYS MAKE US ENEMY OF EACH OTHER,
THOSE WHO THINK THAT ISLAM IS NOT OF PEACE, SHOULD LOOK AT:

HOW MUSLIMS OF PALESTINE ACCOMMODATE THE ISRAELITE WHEN THE ARE BEEN SENT AWAY FROM THEIR ORIGINAL HOMELAND IN CENTRAL EUROPE AND EGYPT

LOOK AT HOW THEY ARE NOW TREATING THE PALESTINIANS WITH THE SECRET HELP OF THE U.S

PLEASE WHEN YOU CRISTIAN WANT TO JUDGE ISLAM PLEASE BE TRUTHFUL TO YOURSELF,
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by Jaideyone(m): 8:26am On Jun 12, 2010
^^^how more truthful can we be? It's obvious. 90% of terrorists in the world fight for islam.
And do u know that the number of lives lost in d world yearly due to religious crisis is more than the number lost through war? Do u know that these religious crisis always involve muslims?
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by musaRilwa: 10:26am On Aug 05, 2011
the reason is that the word "ISLAM" itself means PEASE and in every where and every place Islam never encourage fighthing or terrorism. in other word the reason is that some people are ignorant about Islam and what it stand for. Muslim will never fight unless in one way or the other they have been pushed to the wall, when they act then the whole world will start comment on it no matter how it is forgotting the the actual cause of it.
Islam is a religion of peace for peace and by the PEACEE.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by LagosShia: 1:30pm On Aug 06, 2011
talking about egypt,the OP forgets to mention the coptic women (wives of bishops) that were kidnapped by the coptic church illegally for their willing conversion to ISLAM!

the coptic church abducted Kamilia Shehata,wife of a coptic christian priest,because she embraced Islam.
Re: Islam Is A Religion Of Peace - Please Vote And Tell Us Why by tiarabubu: 10:56pm On Mar 12, 2012
http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/kamilia-shehata-confirms-being-christian-on-coptic-tv.html

Kamilia Shehata confirms being Christian on Coptic TV

By Essam Fadl/Special to Daily News Egypt May 8, 2011, 5:39 pm

CAIRO: Kamelia Shehata appeared on TV Saturday evening to confirm that she has not converted to Islam as reported and has been living with her husband and son in Minya, Upper Egypt.

Shehata, a priest’s wife, was said to have left her husband and converted to Islam. Muslim fundamental groups alleged that she was later kidnapped by the church and prevented from public appearances. The claim has for months sparked protests calling for her “release.”

"I was born Coptic and will die Coptic. I was never held by the church at any time." Shehata told Coptic satellite channel, Al-Hayat.

Protests by Salafis asking for her release were behind her disappearance, she added.

"I never wore niqab (full face veil) or hijab (head scarf) and my photo on the internet with hijab is fabricated," Shehata added. "This issue got me closer to Christ who protected me all the time and He is the only one willing to protect me."

Meanwhile, Shehata's lawyer Naguib Gobrael threatened to withdraw from her case if she declined to appear before the prosecution as she was summoned to confirm her faith. He expressed his dismay that she appeared on a Coptic channel in a statement he released on Saturday.

"I knew of her appearance on Al-Hayat Coptic channel from media and could not reach her," Gobrael said.

"I always urged her to appear on an Egyptian channel, preferably state TV," he added.

"I know she is under severe psychological pressure, but I cannot move on with her case if she is taking decisions without consulting with me,” he told Daily News Egypt.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Happens Afterlife? / Sexuality In Islam: / Still, My Sultaan - By Sheikh Umar Abdullah Dada Paiko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.