Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada (4830 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 / Trump’s Travel Policy: Nigerians With Valid Visas Denied Entry Into USA / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada by Uzobejeme: 8:51pm On Nov 10, 2017
Hi
Re: Canada by salford1: 9:00pm On Nov 10, 2017
Uzobejeme:
Hi a friend entered US last week and wants to cross over to Canada by road. This friend needs a good excuse to give at the Canadian border in order to be allowed to enter and stay legally and also to be able to bring family in later.
Please those in the know should help PLS!!! Its urgent. Thanks
Your question is not clear. Does "this your friend" have a canadian visa?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada by PMWSpirit(m): 9:02pm On Nov 10, 2017
Wait oooo, you want to leave usd for cnd??!
Re: Canada by Beautyaddy: 10:45pm On Nov 10, 2017
lol! If your friend doesn't have a Canadian visa to cross through the US-Canadian border into Canada then he/she might be trying to cross illegally to claim asylum...hmmm undecided
Re: Canada by maternal: 1:29am On Nov 11, 2017
Uzobejeme:
Hi a friend entered US last week and wants to cross over to Canada by road. This friend needs a good excuse to give at the Canadian border in order to be allowed to enter and stay legally and also to be able to bring family in later.

So you're trying to claim refuge in Canada? The Canadian government is aware of your actions. They've been an influx of Nigerians coming here from the U.S. claiming refuge.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nigeria-refugee-homosexuality-immigration-1.4390144
Re: Canada by Uzobejeme: 1:56am On Nov 11, 2017
maternal:

So you're trying to claim refuge in Canada? The Canadian government is aware of your actions. They've been an influx of Nigerians coming here from the U.S. claiming refuge.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nigeria-refugee-homosexuality-immigration-1.4390144
Thank you very much. That article is very educative. I will forward the link to my friend. Its difficult to deter a determined man who has had it with the Nigerian system
Gracias.
Re: Canada by Uzobejeme: 2:00am On Nov 11, 2017
salford1:

Your question is not clear. Does "this your friend" have a canadian visa?
No but has a valid US visa
Re: Canada by Bawss1(m): 2:04am On Nov 11, 2017
Its amazing how brazen we have become when people can openly solicit for ways to engage in criminal or illegal activities.

While it may not be obvious, with this kind of behavior the seed is gradually being sown for anti immigration policies in the future for Canada. The time will come when the Liberals will leave power and a more conservative type of leader, not unlike Trump, will take office and Canada will close its doors to foreigners.

The current government is naive but they are slowly realizing...the citizens are even more aware and the resentment is growing... the realization is spreading that many Nigerians are abusing the immigration policies in Canada right now.

OP tell your "friend" to abandon his plan to enter Canada illegally. He will waste his time and money only to end up being deported back to Nigeria. There are several legit ways to enter the country, follow that route.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada by Uzobejeme: 2:19am On Nov 11, 2017
Bawss1:
Its amazing how brazen we have become when people can openly solicit for ways to engage in criminal or illegal activities.

While it may not be obvious, with this kind of behavior the seed is gradually being sown for anti immigration policies in the future for Canada. The time will come when the Liberals will leave power and a more conservative type of leader, not unlike Trump, will take office and Canada will close its doors to foreigners.

The current government is naive but they are slowly realizing...the citizens are even more aware and the resentment is growing... the realization is spreading that many Nigerians are abusing the immigration policies in Canada right now.

OP tell your "friend" to abandon his plan to enter Canada illegally. He will waste his time and money only to end up being deported back to Nigeria. There are several legit ways to enter the country, follow that route.
Blame the Nigerian economy.. Lol
..thank you very much. I will show him this response. The US is a good place to stay too.
Can you pls help out with a few legit ways he can enter Canada as a married man that will bring in his wife and kids later?
Thanks a bunch.
Re: Canada by lionlee216(m): 3:59am On Nov 11, 2017
OP your friend living in US cant enter canada legally from US and get an asylum, he won't be granted unless he enters illegally.

His only choice is to enter illegally. I am not saying he should enter illegally but if you enter legally, your asylum claim is dead on arrival..

Goodluck to you.

1 Like

Re: Canada by Nobody: 5:10am On Nov 11, 2017
Uzobejeme:

Blame the Nigerian economy.. Lol
..thank you very much. I will show him this response. The US is a good place to stay too.
Can you pls help out with a few legit ways he can enter Canada as a married man that will bring in his wife and kids later?
Thanks a bunch.

You are the friend Mr. Man. We should blame Nigeria but you were able to secure visa from Nigeria to US, so it means you are not poverty stricken so what should I blame Nigeria for? Destroy your Nigerian passport and claim stateless stop ridiculing our country, you are spoiling the chances of genuine travellers by your actions

6 Likes

Re: Canada by maternal: 5:12am On Nov 11, 2017
aklas87:

Pls how can someone with Canada visitor visa adjust his or her status to permanent resident

I don't know.

@Uzo take notes from the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArjX-gzi5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29PM0ZbQp68

2 Likes

Re: Canada by TheCongo2: 5:19am On Nov 11, 2017
lionlee216:
OP your friend living in US cant enter canada legally from US and get an asylum, he won't be granted unless he enters illegally.

His only choice is to enter illegally. I am not saying he should enter illegally but if you enter legally, your asylum claim is dead on arrival..

Goodluck to you.

Untrue. I know a good number of people who were in the US and had walked up to Canadian border to claim asylum and have been granted refugee status in Canada.
You can claim asylum at any port of entry at the border ONLY if you have a family member (brother, sister, son, parents, uncle ) living in Canada.
However, this year, the gouvernement is allowing people who have no family members in Canada to make asylum claim at the border. I am not sure if they can do that at any point of entry or just specific port of the border. A lot of Haitians have flooded Quebec this year this way coming from the US.

If he enters Canada illegaly, chances are the Canadian Gouvernment will find out that he was in the US through his fingerprints and this can damage his credibility if he didn't disclose his trip to the US in his application. The two gouvernements share data.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/asylum/index.asp

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/03/claiming_asylum_incanadawhathappens.html?_ga=2.137875256.948041689.1510373131-571704033.1481085693

3 Likes

Re: Canada by salford1: 10:15am On Nov 11, 2017
There is going to be a new wave of El Salvadoran, Honduras and Haitians so this may create a lot of backlog.

My cousin in the US also told me 2 of his naija friends are making the move this coming week.

Whatever your friend decide to do sha...make sure he or she uses Ontario or Quebec border crossing. Don't cross through the prairie (Manitoba, Alberta or Sask) as the cities are faraway from the borders. You don't want this your friend to lose fingers or toes to frost bite. grin

Whether Canada would or won't grant assylum, that is what i dont know, but i do know that it is really tough to get family members to Canada if you do not all come together.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/10/563333761/central-american-immigrants-brace-for-end-of-temporary-protected-status-program

3 Likes

Re: Canada by justwise(m): 10:37am On Nov 11, 2017
TheCongo2:

Untrue. I know a good number of people who were in the US and had walked up to Canadian border to claim asylum and have been granted refugee status in Canada.
You can claim asylum at any port of entry at the border ONLY if you have a family member (brother, sister, son, parents, uncle ) living in Canada.
However, this year, the gouvernement is allowing people who have no family members in Canada to make asylum claim at the border. I am not sure if they can do that at any point of entry or just specific port of the border. A lot of Haitians have flooded Quebec this year this way coming from the US.

If he enters Canada illegaly, chances are the Canadian Gouvernment will find out that he was in the US through his fingerprints and this can damage his credibility if he didn't disclose his trip to the US in his application. The two gouvernements share data.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/03/claiming_asylum_incanadawhathappens.html?_ga=2.137875256.948041689.1510373131-571704033.1481085693

Are those people you know Nigerians or Africans?

1 Like

Re: Canada by TheCongo2: 9:44pm On Nov 13, 2017
justwise:

Are those people you know Nigerians or Africans?

Justwise, shalom my brother. To answer your question, there is no specific rules for Nigerian that are different from other nationalities when it comes to seeking asylum in Canada. Each asylum case is treated on individual basis else the Federal Court of Canada will reverse a negative decision. In other words, if someone can show evidence that he was treated poorly or differently because he is Nigerian, the negative decision will be overturned by the Federal court of Canada.

Unlike for a visa application, the decision to grant or deny asylum to someone in Canada is never done at the discretion of the tribunal (Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB)). Whenever a decision is made on a refugee case in Canada, the asylum seeker will be given an objective explanations as to why his case was approved or rejected.

For the most part, refugee cases in Canada are rejected for the following reasons:

Definition of refugee:
The definition of a Convention refugee states that a claimant's fear of persecution must be "by reason of" one of the five enumerated grounds - that is race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group (battered woman, woman at risk, gay ...) and political opinion. There must be a link between the fear of persecution and one of the five grounds.
Not all cases of persecution are refugees cases.
I have come acrosed a case where the asylum seeker was running a business in his home country and the local police started to ask him for money. When the guy could no longer give them money, the local police started to threaten him. As a result of those threats, the guy run to Canada for refuge. This case was rule as a case of extortion by the Immigration and Refugee Board and it didn't fit the definition of refugee. Therefore, the case was rejected. The list can go on for different cases of persecutions that aren't refugee cases.

Asking for help in home country: A person can have a genuine asylum case, but if he/she decide to run to Canada for refuge before asking for the help of his home government or local police first, the case will be rejected by the Immigration and Refugee board in Canada. The person has to prove that he had made effort to seek the help of the home government in his country but to not avail. And therefore, he/she had to run for his/her life.

Lack of Credibility This is when something in the story or documents submitted couldn't hold water and the asylum seeker was unable to provide a plausible explanation when confronted with the fact. I could give you a tons of real case examples on that issue.

Internal flight Alternative: This is commonly referred to as IFA by the Immigration and Refugee board. This is when the Refugee board come to the conclusion there is no serious possibility of the asylum seeker or asylum claimant being persecuted in the different part of his home country. For instance, the battered Nigerian lady could have seek refuge from her abusive husband by running into a different part of Nigeria instead of coming to Canada. The asylum seeker has to provide evidence that she would face persecution everywhere she goes in Nigeria. Her husband would find her wherever part of Nigeria she run to.

Lack of identity: Refugees cases are rejected when someone can't provide proper identification that can prove their nationality.

Documentary evidence: If the documentary evidence doesn't support the basis of refugee case, the case will be rejected. For instance, if the Canadian documentary evidence on Nigeria shows that the Nigerian government is making every effort to protect gays, it would be hard for someone to make a refugee case on the basis on being gay.

Holding more than one nationality: This simply mean the refugee claimant has second country of nationality to run to and doesn't need the protection of Canada unless there are issues in that second country that unable him to run there.

cc: maternal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada by TheCongo2: 9:47pm On Nov 13, 2017
Uzobejeme:

OP, before going to a border check point to seek asylum in Canada, make sure you understand the Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement. You must have a relative in Canada to be able to request asylum at the border checkpoint. Else, you will be denied entry into Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp

The new Government has made it possible for people with no relative in Canada to leave the US to flow into Quebec via a portion of the Vermont/Quebec borderline with no immigration checkpoint. And once in Canada, they can make refugee claim. The government has set nearby camps to accommodate those arriving asylum seekers. A ton of Haitians have been making it into Canada through this route.

1 Like

Re: Canada by Uzobejeme: 7:51pm On Dec 19, 2017
Pidgin2:

You are the friend Mr. Man. We should blame Nigeria but you were able to secure visa from Nigeria to US, so it means you are not poverty stricken so what should I blame Nigeria for? Destroy your Nigerian passport and claim stateless stop ridiculing our country, you are spoiling the chances of genuine travellers by your actions

Lol I am just seeing this. I am female, I live in Lagos and I am loving it. My friend had entered Canada and has already been assigned a case officer after his medicals etc..
I don't know what you mean by genuine travellers oh. Did he stow away into Canada? Pls half of the Nigerians over there entered under one pretext or the other.
Goodnight
Re: Canada by Uzobejeme: 7:54pm On Dec 19, 2017
TheCongo2:

Thanks a bunch. He is already in Canada and processing is ongoing. Thanks a bunch.
Re: Canada by Uzobejeme: 7:55pm On Dec 19, 2017
salford1:
There is going to be a new wave of El Salvadoran, Honduras and Haitians so this may create a lot of backlog.

My cousin in the US also told me 2 of his naija friends are making the move this coming week.

Whatever your friend decide to do sha...make sure he or she uses Ontario or Quebec border crossing. Don't cross through the prairie (Manitoba, Alberta or Sask) as the cities are faraway from the borders. You don't want this your friend to lose fingers or toes to frost bite. grin

Whether Canada would or won't grant assylum, that is what i dont know, but i do know that it is really tough to get family members to Canada if you do not all come together.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/10/563333761/central-american-immigrants-brace-for-end-of-temporary-protected-status-program
Thanks a bunch. He went in through Quebec
Re: Canada by Marvey1602: 6:20pm On Mar 23, 2018
Please, what of in a case of vacation at the US under B1/B2 tourist visa and you want to to take a road trip into Canada to see niagara falls. Can any visa be granted at the US-Canada border? Or would u need to have applied for this Canadian tourist visa from Nigeria before going? A colleague at work shared an experience of one of her friends who took a road trip into Canada via one of the borders (can't remember which). She spent only one night in CA and returned by road into US the next day. She claimed she was stamped it when she explained why she was visiting CA. But since I didn't directly have a conversation with the person, I was hoping I would find genuine answers here. Thanks all!

(1) (Reply)

Countries I Can Get Scholarship With HND / How To Edit Family Member's Details On US Visa Appointment Portal / Pictures Of Lagos The Foreign Media Dont Want You To See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.