Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? (32401 Views)

Can't SLT Student Study MLS Through Direct Entry? / Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Hykis(m): 10:42am On Nov 11, 2017
QwinDebbie:
Please I just wanna know.
This issue has been bugging me for some time now.
If there are any medical students here, please your opinion is highly needed.

I've been hearing that medicine is very tough and all that, but being an average student, can I still scale through?
Will it be as easy as it is with top students?
Don't get me wrong, I didn't choose medicine because I wanted to. It's been my dream right from JSS2..
But being at home for 2 years, due to delay in getting admitted, without going to school, little or less study has really depleted what I had back then in secondary school.
I just need advice.
Please there should be no insults.

Thanks.

Sure....an average student can study medicine ...bt u ar gonna be ready to stop being an average student cus u gat to read more often like no tomoro, medicine student don't cram they read and understand. u no it's a professional course ....

Nd again it depend on d university.

so nw u can't just be an average student nd wanna study medicine at O.A.U ,Unilag, UI, Unilorin...
you might be able to meet up dere jamb cutoff for medicine, nd if u ar admited u might be cut out bcus u were nt able to coping with their standard stuff ...
e.g Unilorin medicine, u must nt av two D(pass) in a semester...or u will be cut out
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by FitnessDoctor: 10:58am On Nov 11, 2017
QwinDebbie:

I've been hearing that medicine is very tough and all that, but being an average student, can I still scale through?
Don't get me wrong, I didn't choose medicine because I wanted to. It's been my dream right from JSS2..
But being at home for 2 years, due to delay in getting admitted, without going to school, little or less study has really depleted what I had back then in secondary school.
I just need advice.

Thanks.

Take it from me, I advice to go for Medical Laboratory Technology. As an average student it could take a miracle and connections to get you in and if you don't have that you would wait for long. Medical Laboratory Technology will give you an edge in medicine. There are also many other medical courses out there that will help you focus on your dream even though you don't study medicine and surgery. I am speaking from experience here.
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by MrLatin1: 11:24am On Nov 11, 2017
wheenie:
I have a question pls am going to 300lv and my current cgpa is 4.12 on a 5 point scale can I still make first class...

A student on 4.12 should not be asking this kind of question.
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by SonofHim: 11:27am On Nov 11, 2017
It really not about being average. The question is can you read? Can you read and re read and re read again. Can you read when you are tired, read when you are hungry and when you are eating? Can you read when you feel like reading and when you don't feel like reading? Can you read till you bumbum aches and then you have to stand up and read till your legs ache and your bumbum feels better and then go back to sitting till your bumbum begins to ache again... Can you read while you are reading...and yet you still have soooo much to cover. If yes then by all means you are welcome to the club.

7 Likes

Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 11, 2017
[quote author=kdola post=62273410][/quote]if he no sabi book. Der are oda courses he can do
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by sukkot: 11:37am On Nov 11, 2017
if you like blood and gore yes. medicine is not hard. you just need to be good at remembering names. like for example you will come across names like gastrocnemius, purkinje fibre, gluteus maximus etc etc. you have to be good at cramming long names

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Jerryjabani(m): 11:38am On Nov 11, 2017
》》~ADMISSION STILL GOING ON.
~STUDY MBBS IN SOUTH CHINA UNIVERSITY 
~DURATION OF STUDY IS [5 Years] + 1 YEAR INTERNSHIP.
》》》TUITION AND ACCOMMODATION FEE FOR THE FIRST YEAR IS $5600USD
》》》APPLICATION FEE WHICH CONSISTS OF ADMISSION LETTER & JW202 VISA FORM WITH THE DHL FEE IN WHICH THE DOCUMENTS WILL BE SENT TO YOU AND ALSO ARRANGE AN INTERVIEW WITH THE CHINESE EMBASSY TO MAKE ALL THINS SET IS $750USD.
》》》DOCUMENTS NEEDED ARE: 
**school result (waec) and testimonial.
**white passport photos baground
**international passport- first data page &
**police report. 
》》》THEN STARTING FROM SECOND YEAR UPWARDS BOTH TUITION AND ACCOMMODATION FEE IS $3500USD PER EACH YEAR.
****FOR MORE INFORMATION AND QUICK ADMISSION:
CONTACT=+8615616016490 Via Whatsapp or call.
EMAIL AD=jerryjabani@yahoo.com  or jeremiahdagala@gmail.com.
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Charly68: 12:00pm On Nov 11, 2017
Follow your passion in life ..if it is Medicine & Surgery care less about what people say & press forward,your passion is the drive you need to succeed. Nothing is special about the course..brilliant people who have no passion for it will surely fail..unlike average person who is passionate about becoming a Doctor..

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Ekitiparapo(m): 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2017
I have to be blunt with you, as an average student you should know your strength and weakness. If you are not academically good at the first place you can't get admission to study medicine in any federal university especially the first generational universities except you have a long leg or go to a private university. medicine is very demanding, you need to be hardworking, dedicated and focused to scale through medical school or else you would fail at 100 level if you don't meet the required gp you would be transferred to other course, if you scale through at that stage and you are not focused in the subsequent years you can spend up to 8 or 9 years or more in the medical school. , you just have to be academically sound
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2017
Go for whatever you want....average or not,its what you say you are,thats what you will be...The brightest students failed during our time but we made it...One of d dullest got two awards during graduation. put your heart to it...God bless u

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by mentorandfriend(m): 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2017
QwinDebbie:

I just need advice.

Thanks.

I did this thread sometime ago for medical school aspirants and students. It will help you a lot and might answer your question.

https://www.nairaland.com/1836094/12-things-learnt-medical-school
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Timothyoj(m): 12:38pm On Nov 11, 2017
EVILFOREST:

My DEAR you can.
MEDICINE is not meant for the brilliant alone, rather for the HARDWORKING types.
When I was set to embark on my trip through the Medical College to study HUMAN MEDICINE/SURGERY, the first gift my dad offered me was a CHAIR.
A very nice and suitable one for that matter.
He said to me " this CHAIR will remind you that you are meant to sit down and study for a longer time than others"
As a scholar, i was an AVERAGE STUDENT, although I have been a smart and hardworking man.
I surrounded myself with intelligent chaps as well.
That became a morale booster.
Always surround yourself with MEDICAL STUDENTS that will want to graduate as soon as possible.
They always know how to source for MATERIALS.
Join CHRISTIAN GATHERINGS, for they know how to hoard materials from UNBELIEVERS.
Finally, Choose your ROOMMATES yourself.
Make sure 85 percent of them are studying Human Medicine and Surgery.
If you can do all these, that means I will attend your Graduation Party.
At graduation, I will also encourage you to enrol for the United States Licensing Medical Examination.
Could you believe that Some SENIOR PREFECTS as it where those days, were withdrawn from my medical college....??
They relied on past glories.
However, if you find my SUGGESTION too long, then know u can't study medicine because it's VOLUMINOUS.

Nice one bro...
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by wiloy2k8(m): 12:39pm On Nov 11, 2017
QwinDebbie:

I just need advice.

Thanks.

so na 216 for jamb u wan use study medicine and surgery
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Gwan2(m): 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2017
femidejulius:
In Nigeria, average depends on your location. An average student in the south may be a brilliant student in the north.

I have seen people going to study medicine in the north from the south. I have seen people who go to Sudan to study medicine who ordinarily won't have been given admission to study biology education in Southern Nigeria.

Medicine is a competitive course. Apply where there are lesser competition.

I wanted giving you a response, but I gave it a second thought,is not worth it. Enjoy your delusional world
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by QwinDebbie(f): 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2017
I really appreciate y'all for the advice. Thank you so much.
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by QwinDebbie(f): 12:55pm On Nov 11, 2017
Castigation is part of life though..

I won't blame the ones trying to discourage me or otherwise.
If I study medicine or not, it doesn't affect your lives.

Action speaks louder than words..
Don't be surprised if I eventually get admitted with my 216.. I'll still come here to broadcast the Good news..

Y'all better have a nice day.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Sheun001(m): 12:59pm On Nov 11, 2017
QwinDebbie:

Don't be surprised if I eventually get admitted with my 216.. I'll still come here to broadcast the Good news..

shocked
QwinDebbie:

216??

what school did you choose
I doubt if any of the Nigeria universities will accept such
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2017
Well nice topic, can average student also study Law..especially someone that graduated from science.
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by IhateRetards: 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2017
QwinDebbie:

I just need advice.

Thanks.

It all boils down to your mindset bruv, everything is hard but wit determination, hard work and prayer u will succeed
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by bularvz: 1:19pm On Nov 11, 2017
Yes, medicine is not particularly too difficult it is very wide as long as you are hardworking, don't miss lectures and study hard you should be able to do it
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by tuscani: 1:38pm On Nov 11, 2017
QwinDebbie:

I just need advice.

Thanks.

guy that is my calling, medicine is a strange course, all you need is average intelligence, courage, dedication and the best is endurance/confidence and ban lity to stay above stressles. The major problem is that medical exams are not really difficulty, it is time, imagine after all the long studies, you write each of your exams in just three hours. DM me let's keep talking
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by encryptjay(m): 2:07pm On Nov 11, 2017
You have to stop slaying and focus on your career.
You have to prepare your mind and yourself.
Start believing in yourself, I mean your abilities.
If you allow such thoughts to deter you from performing well, then you're in for failure.
You know what you chose to study and you know what's required of you.
Ensure you are determined to succeed and be diligent in whatever you're doing especially your course.
Sit down and ponder about what you want for yourself and go for it.

Just know thy self.
I wish you well if that's what you wish yourself.
Thumps up to everyone here who has contributed to this thread.
There are quite a number of things to pick from posts here for both medical and non-medical students.
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by encryptjay(m): 2:11pm On Nov 11, 2017
ABJDOT:
Well nice topic, can average student also study Law..especially someone that graduated from science.
You can if your mind is there.
Just be determined. thanks
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by drmingler(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2017
Cash Network CPA Verified Account Needed Urgently Contact Me On Whatsapp 07062235480 If You Have
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2017
femidejulius:
In Nigeria, average depends on your location. An average student in the south may be a brilliant student in the north.

I have seen people going to study medicine in the north from the south. I have seen people who go to Sudan to study medicine who ordinarily won't have been given admission to study biology education in Southern Nigeria.

Medicine is a competitive course. Apply where there are lesser competition.
wetin De mecin self....competitive cos 99percent of students wanna do it.... Ur view of average in South briilant north is......Na same syllabus dem De take teach pple....moreover pple think wen u study medicine dats wen u are sound cos of hw narrow our society is.... In thinking
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Teecomm(m): 3:26pm On Nov 11, 2017
CondomSir:

You may not be able to study medicine since all you know how to do best is Cowgirl, Doggie and 69.

Savagery!!!! Huuuuhhh!!
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by AbuadStudent(m): 3:30pm On Nov 11, 2017
A 500l med.student in a private school. (Afebabalola university).

Yes. An average student can survive. Every course is hard. It depends on how you tackle it. The major problem is entering.

To enter a federal school, its very hard on first try.
To enter a private school, its easy, but the money is massive.

I've seen students who top their sec. Schools fail, and i've seen vice versa. The ball is in your court.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Teecomm(m): 3:54pm On Nov 11, 2017
fayded:
As a medical student, myself.let me just drop a few points for you.
Medicine is all about the zeal, drive and passion. Doesn't matter how intelligent u are or used to be, you must be willing to read and read and read, even when some of your scores, are not showing your hard work. Don't give up, keep pushing. Sometimes, I think medicine is one of those courses that you can honestly"fail" your way to the top.
Also your friends should be 90% medical students(serious ones ooo)..
Have a very dry social life. That way, less distractions. And if you must date, let it be a medical student. That way, she/he will "understand" you(med students will understand what I'm talking about)..
Also, don't joke with past questions. They will help you

I love this
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by LasoulMacuby(m): 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2017
Donald3d:
u can be anything you want to be as long as you put your mind to it
Pls I want to have more money than Bill Gates. How do I do it?
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by senatorizyking(m): 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2017
EVILFOREST:

My DEAR you can.
MEDICINE is not meant for the brilliant alone, rather for the HARDWORKING types.
When I was set to embark on my trip through the Medical College to study HUMAN MEDICINE/SURGERY, the first gift my dad offered me was a CHAIR.
A very nice and suitable one for that matter.
He said to me " this CHAIR will remind you that you are meant to sit down and study for a longer time than others"
As a scholar, i was an AVERAGE STUDENT, although I have been a smart and hardworking man.
I surrounded myself with intelligent chaps as well.
That became a morale booster.
Always surround yourself with MEDICAL STUDENTS that will want to graduate as soon as possible.
They always know how to source for MATERIALS.
Join CHRISTIAN GATHERINGS, for they know how to hoard materials from UNBELIEVERS.
Finally, Choose your ROOMMATES yourself.
Make sure 85 percent of them are studying Human Medicine and Surgery.
If you can do all these, that means I will attend your Graduation Party.
At graduation, I will also encourage you to enrol for the United States Licensing Medical Examination.
Could you believe that Some SENIOR PREFECTS as it where those days, were withdrawn from my medical college....??
They relied on past glories.
However, if you find my SUGGESTION too long, then know u can't study medicine because it's VOLUMINOUS.

Hahahaha the last sentence is cool, thanks for the info, I will need to encourage my sister who wants to study medicine with this information.
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by Alekkz(m): 6:44pm On Nov 11, 2017
CondomSir:

You may not be able to study medicine since all you know how to do best is Cowgirl, Doggie and 69.
Your father
Re: Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? by ayobj: 8:07pm On Nov 11, 2017
If it's your dream and you are a go getter.please go for it and keep to the goal.ensur you enter med.school first and keep to the faith.
I entered med school February 1992.
So my generation is different from many folks above.

I was very young and passing exams wasn't the problem.

I played a lot and banged some courses and even repeated the year in my 2nd MB.
But if you keep at it you will still come out tops.

Read a lot.
Find time for Christian activities,sports,weddings.
Relate with your old secondary school mates as well as your people from home.
I joined the jaycees and other party organizations but no cults.
Mix with everybody.i even went to the mosque to attend discussions with the MSS and I was born a Christian.

Keep an open mind.seeek knowledge from your senior colleges-HO,REg,SR and consultants. Who are friendly.

Today am a specialist on the top of my field.
I write all my PG exams at one attempt.

So you can be what you want to be don't give up.
See the bigger picture.

All the best.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man With 5 Law Degrees, Shares His Poor Sec. School Result; Cautions Parents / Chiamaka Linda Mgbechidinma, University Of Ibadan Best Graduating Female Student / A Trip To Lorreto Special Secondary School, Anambra (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.