Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC (22247 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Appointed As Chancellor Of Cavendish University Uganda / Coventry University Engineering Graduate Retained In The UK By SIEMENS MOBILITY / UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by kuntash: 3:51pm On Nov 11, 2017
cstr1000:
I don't think we care.
You can name it whatever.

Abi o ....

School wey don turn biz centre especially with these TSA, the structures that are not even sufficient are over used ..

The school now thrives on name that was mapped with the capital of the country ..
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by cstr1000: 3:52pm On Nov 11, 2017
tete7000:
If it has happened during military era, the name change would have remained. Unilag should thank their star we are in democratic era. All the talk about act of parliament would have been overruled by a decree.
So simple reason why the name change couldn't happen was because of democracy. All other talks are cheap.
I actually think buhari would have enforced it if it were now.
Soldiers would storm the school and make it binding, even if it means removing whoever needs to be removed and appointing a military VC in a civilian garb.
He is the new sheriff in town afterall.
There will be complain here and there, but it will be binding after a year.

8 Likes

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by vicfy(m): 3:53pm On Nov 11, 2017
Can someone please tell Obiano to return Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu University back to Anambra State University?
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by kazzy4u(m): 3:58pm On Nov 11, 2017
Naso, I can u change dat beautiful unilag to frog name. Aluta self go commence
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 11, 2017
cstr1000:

When you finish smoking Oshogbo weed for the first time.
If UNILAG is the best school in Nigeria where you do you keep the likes of UI, UNN, or even ABU?
Even their alumni beats UNILAG.

Put them wherever pleases you.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Elnino4ladies: 4:01pm On Nov 11, 2017
vicfy:
Can someone please tell Obiano to return Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu University back to Anambra State University?

LMAO Why na?
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by tete7000(m): 4:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
cstr1000:

I actually think buhari would have enforced it if it were now.
Soldiers would storm the school and make it binding, even if it means removing whoever needs to be removed and appointing a military VC in a civilian garb.
He is the new sheriff in town afterall.
There will be complain here and there, but it will be binding after a year.

In a democratic dispensation, not even Buhari might have been able to withstand the resistance mounted by the people. That's the beauty of democratic rule, people can have their legitimate wish respected. Even when things are enforced, the court can overrule it if their is legal basis for that. Unife wasn't that lucky because military changed its name. I don't think alumni and others interest group were really dispose to change of name at that time too. However, like Wole Soyinka will say, only a stupid man argue with a man with a gun.

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by JuanDeDios: 4:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

Babcock, Benson Idahosa Uni and Igbinedion I think. Babcock claims to have existed as ACWA in 1959 patiently waiting for FG to grant licence to private owner. Benson Idahosa in his usual radicalistic ways disregarded Federal Govt and built a 'University' before FG ever started granting licence to private owners. Igbinedion I think claims to be the first to have actually gotten the actual legal license to exist as a private University in 1999
You're must really be statsocial. Any controversy over oldest private radio and tv stations in Nigeria?
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by idris4r83(m): 4:07pm On Nov 11, 2017
FarahAideed:
Nonsense ..Jonathan meant no harm at all, he only miscalculated the supposed love the Yoruba people claimed to have for Abiola by thinking it was genuine love no knowing it was crocodile love in a complex game of betrayal where the Name of Abiola was only used as political tool to blackmail the rest of Nigeria for the benefit of a few SW elites.
GBAM! U nailed it

2 Likes

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2017
kuntash:

When you parade the axis of Ikorodu and Epe, for you Nigeria don complete for you ..

How can you say Unilag is arguably the best university in Nigeria..

Can you place the products and teachers side by side others in the country ?

Unilag should be number 7 or 8 in ranking..

Go and ask questions..

Your opinion has been documented on Nairaland, thank you.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by enemyofprogress: 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:
UI students need to revisit history, university of Lagos is the first university in Nigeria and arguably the best too. OAU peeps should also take note.
see what you wrote,no wonder you came out with third class lower

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 11, 2017
enemyofprogress:
see what you wrote,no wonder you came out with third class lower

A dunce on nairaland? I cannot believe it. Which university awards third class lower and what exactly is wrong with what I wrote?

BTW, always start a sentence with a capital letter and end it with a full stop, by so, you may luckily scale through with an ordinary pass.

2 Likes

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by enemyofprogress: 4:32pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

A dunce on nairaland? I cannot believe it. Which university awards third class lower and what exactly is wrong with what I wrote?
you were the first and the last to be so awarded because of your very poor academic performance tongue

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2017
enemyofprogress:
you were the first and the last to be so awarded because of your very poor academic performance tongue

Why did you run away from rehab?

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by positivetaught: 4:37pm On Nov 11, 2017
Everybody want to claim hero because he worked against Johnathan here n there,today if Buhari change the name to Ramat Mohammed memorial university your types will rush to hail him as bee. compassionate forgetting about any act of Parliament,oya go take noble prize for fighting Johnathan.

3 Likes

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Chommieblaq(f): 4:41pm On Nov 11, 2017
FarahAideed:
Nonsense ..Jonathan meant no harm at all, he only miscalculated the supposed love the Yoruba people claimed to have for Abiola by thinking it was genuine love not knowing it was crocodile love in a complex game of betrayal where the Name of Abiola was only used as political tool to blackmail the rest of Nigeria for the benefit of a few SW elites.

You are absolutely right!
Don't know why they won't let the man rest. Like a gentleman that he's, when they rejected it, he didn't try to enforce the name on them. I can't say if same will be said of the present government.

4 Likes

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by enemyofprogress: 4:43pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

Why did you run away from rehab?
tongue tongue

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by enemyofprogress: 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2017
Chommieblaq:

Don't know why they won't let the man rest. Like a gentleman that he's, when they rejected it, he didn't try to enforce the name on them. I can't say if same will be said of the present government.
buhari na bully now
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Chukazu: 4:47pm On Nov 11, 2017
everyone claiming to be the" first" nobody thrives to be the" very best" undecided
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 11, 2017
Chommieblaq:

He tried to enforce it, the case was even taken to court where the government eventually lost.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by BlowBack: 4:50pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:
UI students need to revisit history, university of Lagos is the first university in Nigeria and arguably the best too. OAU peeps should also take note.

You are an illiterate since you can't comprehend what was written concerning the University of Lagos.

Being the first to be established by an act of (the Federal) Parliament, doesn't mean there weren't any other existing institutions.

OAU was already existing before UNILAG.

UNILAG just happens to be the first federal established institution.

Olodo
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 4:55pm On Nov 11, 2017
Unilag is the first university established by the Federal Government. The foundation of Unilag was laid by Late Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. Other first generation Universities were set up by the colonial masters and regional governments.

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 11, 2017
BlowBack:

You are an illiterate since you can't comprehend what was written concerning the University of Lagos.

Being the first to be established by an act of (the Federal) Parliament, doesn't mean there weren't any other existing institutions.

OAU was already existing before UNILAG.

UNILAG just happens to be the first federal established institution.

Olodo

Will you stop being plain stupid? I never wrote there were no existing institution in the country, Bello said they were not universities. Who is now the olodo?

modified:

I didn't you aren't just stupid o grin nut also another illiterate with a smart phone.

So what you read there is that unilag is the first established institution? Did you start reading from the bottom?
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by greypencils: 5:04pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:
Keep deceiving youself. As Uites, we know who we are...our age says it all...you just remain the patridge that you are...
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by CuteMorriz: 5:10pm On Nov 11, 2017
deepwater:

Lol....the lame one grin
Mr VC you couldn't even give a rational line to justify your claim... You lines are so weak like old mama pant!!!

The joke is on your tribe, leave jona outa it, your people did not see their son 'MKO ABIOLA' worthy of their praise. Go suck it up rather than blame GEJ.

What a caliber of educationists the zoo has produced, so daft in intellectual reasoning.

Now u are outgoing, go hide your brains somewhere the ☀ don't shine

Professor my black ass undecided
I was reading this news via ghost mode( as a guest) but when I saw this I just had to login-in...you made a lot of sense...

3 Likes

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by BlowBack: 5:17pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

Will you stop being plain stupid? I never wrote there were no existing institution in the country, Bello said they were not universities. Who now is the olodo?

What is the difference between a college and a university ?

Olodo
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 11, 2017
BlowBack:

What is the difference between a college and a university ?

Olodo

In case you don't know, a college could be any institution that offers to impact higher knowledge.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:
That was one of the most ridiculous thing Jonathan ever tried doing. How can you try to change the name of a University without due consultation with Alumni, Students, Governing Council etc. The glory of a University lies also in the name it bears. Even Harvard that is a Private University cannot change name without due consultations with her Alumni, Students and local community much less a public University. I am glad Akokites resisted.
Lalasticlala

Bros ur the type that types a lot of nonsense grin

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

In case you don't know, a college could be any institution that offers to impact higher knowledge.

He said u should list the difference.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

Will you stop being plain stupid? I never wrote there were no existing institution in the country, Bello said they were not universities. Who is now the olodo?

modified:

I didn't you aren't just stupid o grin nut also another illiterate with a smart phone.

So what you read there is that unilag is the first established institution? Did you start reading from the bottom?

Bros pls what is an illiterate?
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by wellmax(m): 5:48pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

Olodo.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/248978-retained-university-lagos-name-despite-jonathans-wish-vc.html

No Nigerian university makes top 1000 universities in the world. So I wander what these useless talks is all About.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Simplest Word You Forgot To Spell In An Exam Hall? / As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? / Yabatech Hnd(ft & Pt) & Nd(pt) Admission For 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.