Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,737 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery (7534 Views)

Yoruba Slave Fought Against Slavery For Compensation / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Probz(m): 4:50am On Nov 12, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Dude, forget it. It has been established in the academic world already that a higher number of Igbo slaves were sent overall (1.4m), compared to Yoruba slaves (circa 500,000), and that Yoruba slave trade peaked in the 1800s, about 100 to 150 years after Igbo slaves had been sold considerably. That is why I am not surprised when I see articles like this about many African American DNA testings turning out to be Igbo. Plenty of them. In terms of DNA, it is expected that more afro-descended peoples would carry more partial or full Igbo DNA than Yoruba, whereas in terms of African religion, the Yoruba one is the most popular in the new world and we would expect more adherents of Ifa compared to Obeah. Also, gone are those days of the early 2000s when writers were quick to assume any black person practising Ifa to be of Yoruba origin, which tended to erroneously exaggerate the number of Yoruba slaves exported to the new world. Nowadays, with DNA testing and more enlightenment, it is now a common thought (or common sense I would say), that the number of Yoruba exports was smaller than originally thought, and that Ifa is only a religion encompassing several members descended from different tribes in West Africa, and that not all Ifa followers are of Yoruba ancestry, thus it would be wrong to assume so. That is, one could be mostly of Kongo descent while practising Ifa, just as Roman Catholics of Nigeria are not descended from Rome but practice the Roman Catholic faith.

Moreover this is not a fight or comparison. Of course you do care about Igbo affairs and that is why you are always quick to rush into any Igbo-focused thread like this to 'stylishly' insert some Yoruba mention or whatnot. Dude, quit that child's play. Igbo is Igbo and Yoruba is Yoruba and each tribe in the new world is known for different things. Just last week I met an African American answering Nnamdi as his name, given to him from birth by his African American parents and, to my surprise, the dude even knows what the name means and a few Igbo words.

I saw this thread earlier and passed. I only returned here specifically to trash your false ideologies and unnecessary display of exuberance.

As if Scholes0 is not being Scholes0.

I want you to read up on Mami Wata, Haitian loas and Haitian Voodo as a whole. I call those three the trinity. There’s also something to be said on male-female energies and homosexuality on those pages. Wiki it.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by ezeagu(m): 1:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
scholes0:
François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture A Benin republic prince of Allada Dahomean descent led and organized the Haitian revolution after everyone involved engaged in a Voodoo blood pact at the ceremony of Bos Caiman.

Some people should stop trying to appropriate the Hairian revolution which was a joint rejection by all slaves of African desxent on that Island against oppression and slavery.

Amazingly enough, three major ethnic groups of contemporary Nigeria all had revolutionary guards.

Igbo people stand out in the history of Haiti, ask authentic Haitians.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by johnnyhandsom(m): 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2017
aFROGnjas and envy are like 5 and 6
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Mulakintanwa(m): 6:09pm On Nov 13, 2017
scholes0:

Typical flattie. All Ego and Zero brains.
I am not even here because I give a chit about Ibo abi na Igbo, but rather to bust your propagandas and various overt lies that has become an habit of you lots all over this forum and elsewhere.

You know nothing about the Haitian revolution and just automatically assume that the slaves of Haiti got inspiration for a revolution which happened in 1791 from a so called Ibo landing (Which wasn’t even a revolution, but rather a mass suicide) that happened in 1803.

If every African boasted in vain as much as the average Ibo man does, then Nobody will ever take a word from the mouth of an African as truth again ever!.

You better go read about the Yoruba various led slave revolts of the Americas such as Alabi the leader of Maroon revolutionists in Suriname, the Male Yoruba revolts of Brazil and Carlotta the Yoruba female rebel leader in Cuba amongst others, to know what real revokution looks like, rather that celebrating a mass slave suicide that was based on ignorant beliefs here.

I doubt you are even aware that some of the people who orchestrated this same Haitian revolution we are discussing right now were Yorubas. YES, you heard that right.

https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/5684/2/TheHaitianRevolution1791-1805.pdf

Do you think you are communicating with a naive idio.t here?

Shioor.

@SLAGTHOMPSON. YORUBA ODU ENUWA AND DESCENDANT OF SLAVES CALLED APES?

YORUBA AND DESCENDANT OF SLAVES CALLED APES?

REPLY TO @SLAGTHOMPSON TWITTER COMMENT "My history may be wrong, but it's my impression that a lot of Yoruba identity is from former slaves returning home from Sierra Leone" WHOM YOUR ANCESTOR CALLED APES.

Hello Mr Slag Thompson, how are you doing. This is to educate you concerning people called apes by your predecessors out of ignorance of theirs and of those called apes.

The grand ape in west Africa is the one called YUSUF AS'AR YIRTH'AR ALIAS DHU NUWAS. He is the Himyarite king and Judaic warlord of a great nation south of Arabia. He lost a vital war towards the end of the 6th century BC to the akxum Christian kingdom who worked with some of the nations under Dhu nuwas and put up a man named General Abraha to head the rebellion and invasion like it's done in Libya, Syria and other laces today. "The problem of lost identity Yoruba are suffering from is the reason why anyone will call west Africa descendants ape."

The great Dhu nuwas escaped the onslaught into the forest of west Africa, where the rest of his loyalist who were taken captive to east Africa in Adelaide would later join him.

Most of them are the orishas that are being worshipped today. Orisha as word itself means "first ones" has nothing to do with idolatry, but the curse of idolatry brought them the name Ape. Worshipping the dead has killed their glory and great mind.

The full name of dhu nuwas is "Yusuf As'ar Keer-'yirth haw-r'i-ba"all fully loaded Hebrew names. The locality he set up his palace ayirth ha-r'awlled 'enuwa' in ile-ife. The followings are the names Yoruba still remembered
"As'ar becomes Asara",
"yir-thha-w-r'a becomes atewonro."
"Adim-ula means riches of soil referring to the blessedness of the fertile soil of west Africa.

Hausa remembered him as "Yoruba" from "haw-riba" and they called the IFE and cities around it yarbawa which was later turn into Yoruba. You will still find some of them rejecting the name Yoruba saying they are "omo nuwa bi" "children given birth to by nuwas" all due to ignorance and loss of identity.

After he has established his kingdom in ule ife, he set out his warlords to occupy the whole of west Africa. Ogun, Ariel :odu enuwa's first son called Eri by ibo, erinle by yoruba, the Niger deltans also claim him as ancestor; and others like Nana buruku set out to occupy the new and nearly empty world up to the extreme west Africa, zuwa Zia alyemen that started the Songhai dynasty was one of this move fro IFE but probably not with the first tranch of movement from ife. The igalas, Hausa's, kanuris and a lot of others even the Fulani's that were loyal to him are part of the movement from south of Arabia to the new world.

He Odu enuwa was said to be king of nations for ruling over various kingdoms and gave them freedom to practice their religion while he and the royal families practices Judaism, it was even said that his mother is Jewish of royal line of David. Also with him are a lot of hebrews that settled with him in Yoruba land. Ibo are called 'yanmiyn or yanmirin' by the Hausa's which means 'my right hand' in Hebrew likely they are Benjamin tribe, zuwa is of Gad, agala of igala is of Judaism priesthood, etc. No wonder most of their present languages retained lot Hebrew terms. I mean the original Hebrew which is original Yoruba language.

Do you still call them apes? May be for their lost of identity and foolish rivalry which is often taking advantage of by external forces. This is well seen in Nigeria and most apes of them are those demanding for ODUDUWA nation of five little States, instead of ODU ENUWA group of nations involving all the nations of west Africa.

Apes, would you still call them so or see them as low life slave of your predecessors?

Among whom is the royal line of David the king of Israel.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Mulakintanwa(m): 6:12pm On Nov 13, 2017
scholes0:

REPLY TO @SLAGTHOMPSON TWITTER COMMENT "My history may be wrong, but it's my impression that a lot of Yoruba identity is from former slaves returning home from Sierra Leone" WHOM YOUR ANCESTOR CALLED APES.

Hello Mr Slag Thompson, how are you doing. This is to educate you concerning people called apes by your predecessors out of ignorance of theirs and of those called apes.

The grand ape in west Africa is the one called YUSUF AS'AR YIRTH'AR ALIAS DHU NUWAS. He is the Himyarite king and Judaic warlord of a great nation south of Arabia. He lost a vital war towards the end of the 6th century BC to the akxum Christian kingdom who worked with some of the nations under Dhu nuwas and put up a man named General Abraha to head the rebellion and invasion like it's done in Libya, Syria and other laces today. "The problem of lost identity Yoruba are suffering from is the reason why anyone will call west Africa descendants ape."

The great Dhu nuwas escaped the onslaught into the forest of west Africa, where the rest of his loyalist who were taken captive to east Africa in Adelaide would later join him.

Most of them are the orishas that are being worshipped today. Orisha as word itself means "first ones" has nothing to do with idolatry, but the curse of idolatry brought them the name Ape. Worshipping the dead has killed their glory and great mind.

The full name of dhu nuwas is "Yusuf As'ar Keer-'yirth haw-r'i-ba"all fully loaded Hebrew names. The locality he set up his palace ayirth ha-r'awlled 'enuwa' in ile-ife. The followings are the names Yoruba still remembered
"As'ar becomes Asara",
"Adim-ula means riches of soil referring to the blessedness of the fertile soil of west Africa.

Hausa remembered him as "Yoruba" from "haw-riba" and they called the IFE and cities around it yarbawa which was later turn into Yoruba. You will still find some of them rejecting the name Yoruba saying they are "omo nuwa bi" "children given birth to by nuwas" all due to ignorance and loss of identity.

After he has established his kingdom in ule ife, he set out his warlords to occupy the whole of west Africa. Ogun, Ariel :odu enuwa's first son called Eri by ibo, erinle by yoruba, the Niger deltans also claim him as ancestor; and others like Nana buruku set out to occupy the new and nearly empty world up to the extreme west Africa, zuwa Zia alyemen that started the Songhai dynasty was one of this move fro IFE but probably not with the first tranch of movement from ife. The igalas, Hausa's, kanuris and a lot of others even the Fulani's that were loyal to him are part of the movement from south of Arabia to the new world.

He Odu enuwa was said to be king of nations for ruling over various kingdoms and gave them freedom to practice their religion while he and the royal families practices Judaism, it was even said that his mother is Jewish of royal line of David. Also with him are a lot of hebrews that settled with him in Yoruba land. Ibo are called 'yanmiyn or yanmirin' by the Hausa's which means 'my right hand' in Hebrew likely they are Benjamin tribe, zuwa is of Gad, agala of igala is of Judaism priesthood, etc. No wonder most of their present languages retained lot Hebrew terms. I mean the original Hebrew which is original Yoruba language.

Do you still call them apes? May be for their lost of identity and foolish rivalry which is often taking advantage of by external forces. This is well seen in Nigeria and most apes of them are those demanding for ODUDUWA nation of five little States, instead of ODU ENUWA group of nations involving all the nations of west Africa.

Apes, would you still call them so or see them as low life slave of your predecessors?

Typical flattie. All Ego and Zero brains.
I am not even here because I give a chit about Ibo abi na Igbo, but rather to bust your propagandas and various overt lies that has become an habit of you lots all over this forum and elsewhere.

You know nothing about the Haitian revolution and just automatically assume that the slaves of Haiti got inspiration for a revolution which happened in 1791 from a so called Ibo landing (Which wasn’t even a revolution, but rather a mass suicide) that happened in 1803.

If every African boasted in vain as much as the average Ibo man does, then Nobody will ever take a word from the mouth of an African as truth again ever!.

You better go read about the Yoruba various led slave revolts of the Americas such as Alabi the leader of Maroon revolutionists in Suriname, the Male Yoruba revolts of Brazil and Carlotta the Yoruba female rebel leader in Cuba amongst others, to know what real revokution looks like, rather that celebrating a mass slave suicide that was based on ignorant beliefs here.

I doubt you are even aware that some of the people who orchestrated this same Haitian revolution we are discussing right now were Yorubas. YES, you heard that right.

https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/5684/2/TheHaitianRevolution1791-1805.pdf

Do you think you are communicating with a naive idio.t here?

Shioor.
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Mulakintanwa(m): 6:13pm On Nov 13, 2017
devindevin2000:
African Americans Narrate History of Igbo and Haiti Resistance Against Slavery. Pay attention to 21:00 and above where she talks about the Igbos as " a very powerful people" that resisted slavery. Igbo resistance inspired Haiti to lead the first ever slave revolt in the western hemisphere defeating armies of French, Spaniard and American. Not surprise that the same Igbo have been leading the break of up Nigeria since 1960. Understand why the power there be fears Igbo and have made sure for ages that they are suppressed through gross marginalization in Nigeria to hold them down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvebe2jJUfw

"As'ar becomes Asara",

Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Judybash93(m): 10:21am On Dec 14, 2018
loveth360:
That is why many are against them having their own country.
Give them biafra and see them challenge for world power.

Fine girl

Igbo amaka
Re: African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery by Uchek(m): 5:02am On May 25, 2020
Are you joking?

fumiswtpusytwo:
Even though I am a yoruba muslim from no man's land lagos,i have always maintained that biafrans ss and se expecially igbos are heroes from ojukwu to the obinna selling lascacera in traffic but give him five years he Will become a millonaire.
Is that not act of heroism,if biafra gets its freedom I will do everything to become a citizen even though I am an Omoluabi.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ifa Is The True Religion And Practice Of The Yoruba / Ijaw Marriage: What You Need To Know. / 10 Most Long-lived Empires In History.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.