Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,012 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs (22047 Views)

Secondary School Students Caught In Erotic Romance In Classroom In Port Harcourt / 20 Zimbabwean Secondary School Students Caught Having Group Sex, Suspended / Buhari suspends Babalakin as UNILAG Pro-Chancellor, sacks Acting VC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Leez(m): 7:43am On Nov 12, 2017
8faculty:

In a bid to check drug abuse on campus, the University of Lagos has provided a drug test kit in its medical centre to examine students suspected to be on hard drugs.

Prof. Rahaman Bello, outgoing Vice-Chancellor of the institution, confirmed this at a forum with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.

Bello said that the initiative was necessary because drug abuse was on the increase in the nation’s tertiary institutions.

“Drug abuse is a major problem for every institution, particularly, those in the cities. We have gone ahead in the University of Lagos to address it.

“With the test kit, anyone who is suspected, his or her urine or blood depending on what we want to do, is collected for test.
“The thing about drug is that when you take it, it will be in your blood for a long time, so you cannot say , I did not use it once the test kit detects it.
“Before, we start using the test kit, everyone we picked denied using drug since we could not find any evidence,” he said.

See also I’m Not Up to 20 Years, My Mum Shields Me from Stubborn Male Admirers- Nigerian Lady http://www.millitime.com/im-not-20-years-mum-shields-stubborn-male-admirers/

According to him, with the test kit, the university has been able to pin down victims, but granted them amnesty.

He said that although the university’s regulation provided that any student found dealing with drug should be expelled, the management had to warn and rehabilitate them.

“With the rehabilitation, the victims are given two or three semesters to ‘get clean’. By this, we mean they will visit the medical centre on monthly basis to get tested.
“If after two or three visits, you are found clean, we will admit you back to the system, if not you are sent out.
“This we do not to unnecessarily punish them, but to assist them to find a way to regain themselves,” he said.

Bello said that about 100 students of the university were detected to be using hard drugs in 2016.

Source : https://www.millitime.com/unilag-begins-testing-students-hard-drugs/

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Syphonn(m): 7:44am On Nov 12, 2017
Myths And Truths About Epilepsy

1. A person can swallow the tongue during epilepsy attack.

It is physically impossible to swallow your own tongue.

2. You must force something in the mouth of someone who has an attack.

Absolutely not! That’s a good way to chill teeth, puncture the gums, be mordant or even break someone’s jaw. The correct first aid is simple.

READ MORE http://www.busygisting.com/myths-and-truths-you-should-know-about-epilepsy/
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by wolextayo: 7:44am On Nov 12, 2017
Gbadegesin19:
Igbo
Trams
Codeine..

Say no drugs!

Anyways.
I think you’re even drugs cos I don’t know how you can classify weed as drug. They what will you call tobacco abeg
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by oneolajire(m): 7:47am On Nov 12, 2017
Where are the Akokites? No where to be found. Poudly Team OAU. Articulate Gba Gba.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by blues343(m): 7:55am On Nov 12, 2017
100? sure say no b 1000. because guys this days mehn. Imagine one small boy of too small, came to me n was like, bros abeg where I fit buy koko . I beat craze comot 4 d pikin body dat day. God help dis Generation
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 12, 2017
sbashir10:
Which kinda of hard drugs.
Coke
Marijuana
Sk
Tramadol
Rephnol
Diesel
Codeine
Or which one

Rohypnol.

Add crack cocaine also known on the streets as ‘para’ to the list.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by BAILMONEY: 8:07am On Nov 12, 2017
kingsley3218:
Before UNILAG thought of this idea,so many private universities in the country have put it to use. Why do you think they expel students in private universities on a constant basis? That's cos some of them test positive to drug tests when being suspected, so, UNILAG should brag about being the first public university to do so and not the First in Nigeria as u think.
GUY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT UNIVERSITY HERE NOT SECONDARY SCHOOLS angry

3 Likes

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by kushercain: 8:11am On Nov 12, 2017
webincomeplus:

Now, it's the first Nigerian University to start testing students for use of hard drugs.

its not the first mate, I got suspended from my school 2013 for such test
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Efechy(m): 8:15am On Nov 12, 2017
mccoy47:
Just 100?
They should go to FUTO, they would think their test kit is broken to a default +ve
God bless u bro 4 saying d truth FUTO holds d unbeaten no 1 position in d country if nt continent. go 2 dia boyz hostel u'll cee cartons of d stuf every wer ,coden na water while tm na vit-c. kudos 2 ma northern brods who luk so ignorant nd innocent meanwhile d're d worst users of doz harmful substances. (absures

1 Like

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 12, 2017
webincomeplus:
First it was "UNILAG is the only university in Nigeria with permanent accreditation for law".

Next, it was "UNILAG becomes first Nigerian University to get a TV license".

Now, it's the first Nigerian University to start testing students for use of hard drugs.

Who else thinks UNILAG really deserves all the hype it gets? I'm not asking bloody haters.

90% of private schools carry out drug tests so they are not the first
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by iamjavadem(m): 8:24am On Nov 12, 2017
just2endowed:
I don't know what students gain in this hard drugs.

It's a welcome development from the institution.
Why dont you try it and find out since you are so concerned.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by chloride6: 8:30am On Nov 12, 2017
As laudable as it might look, I'm not in support of this testing. There are serious chain of custody issues be that may arise.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by nizetee: 8:34am On Nov 12, 2017
It will make sense to also test the device on our current leaders since its been done to our future leaders. shocked

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by davillian(m): 8:39am On Nov 12, 2017
If it's hausa boys they would have burnt down the drug testing centre grin grin grin
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 12, 2017
Guys and drugs
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by stoic6ix: 8:49am On Nov 12, 2017
Plasmbob1:
Good move. Hard drugs has eaten deep into the minds of a lot of youth in tertiary institutions.

Some even mix different brands(without considering consequences) just to show off their drinking capacities.

Only God can save the upcoming generation.

This thoughts appears to be from experience...
Don't know o! Just saying
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by prodiG(m): 8:51am On Nov 12, 2017
rottenPussy:
Issa serious something
Why are you carrying your rotten pussy to every thread?The stench is becoming unbearable.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Edoziesmart(m): 8:55am On Nov 12, 2017
mccoy47:
Just 100?
They should go to FUTO, they would think their test kit is broken to a default +ve

Futo and nekede the zone of cultist and yahoo yahoo.
Those guys can take hard drug in the form of drinking water.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by bolatito2017(f): 9:09am On Nov 12, 2017
Dats good, I like the Management idea
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by correctguy101(m): 9:13am On Nov 12, 2017
The way girls gulp codeine these days, I doubt boys can measure up.

Imagine me offering a girl a bottle of drink yesterday and she was like " I don't drink" only for me to see the bar guy slip something to her and next she turning the content inside the soft drink she ordered for.

Exyplon Codeine and dear Arthur Guinness which one better pass? undecided

The day I took that shiit, it was like I forgot my brain somewhere, I just dey dose and not like I was sleeping o, just dosing and starting awake in shock grin . Guess my brain is too weak for it.

2 Likes

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by kingsley3218(m): 9:33am On Nov 12, 2017
BAILMONEY:
lol.....yea,they might be glorified secondary schools,but few have earned global recognition than the supposed "university" you are talking about.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by campusblack10(m): 10:05am On Nov 12, 2017
�Download Music : Smik - Mojere http://www.djmoremuzic.net/download-music-smik-mojere/
Via@djmoremuzic#RBC @wf djderrick
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Rainmaker69(m): 10:17am On Nov 12, 2017
This may come from a good place but its a gross violation of privacy, when its done without consent. Only in Nigeria.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 12, 2017
stoic6ix:

This thoughts appears to be from experience...
Don't know o! Just saying

Lol I'll act like I didn't see that!
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 12, 2017
BAILMONEY:

You're part of the problem. The endless strikes and continuous victimisation of students which is a regular practice in public universities and almost non existent in private schools now makes the latter inferior to the former, right?

Sometimes I think Nigerians deserve the kind of wicked leaders we have. We embrace suffering thinking "it makes us tough" and we abhor sanity. Indeed the leaders are an immediate reflection of the masses.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 12, 2017
Rainmaker69:
This may come from a good place but its a gross violation of privacy, when its done without consent. Only in Nigeria.

What did I just hear you say?

Hard drug testing DOES NOT and SHOULD NEVER require consent before it is done. I guess you're one of the accused tho'
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 12, 2017
mccoy47:
Just 100?
true talk
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Rainmaker69(m): 11:03am On Nov 12, 2017
Plasmbob1:

What did I just hear you say?

Hard drug testing DOES NOT and SHOULD NEVER require consent before it is done. I guess you're one of the accused tho'

Silly child. You didn't 'hear' me say anything. You read my comment (although it appears you lack the capacity to understand).
Let me simplify my comment for your iq level: Private drug tests are ILLEGAL when conducted without the consent of the subject. It is a clear breach of the Fundamental Right to Privacy guaranteed by Section 37 of the 1999 Constitution. The schools that insist on such practices require that subjects sign a consent or waiver form. This means that only a prosecuting authority can mandate a test, and it has to be done in the course of prosecuting an offence.

You don't need to advertise your stupidity to the world, "accused"?? Where did you read that the Nigerian Police or NDLEA was involved? Or that anyone was charged for an offence? You must be high on cheap substances.
Get off your keyboard and go'an read your books.
Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 12, 2017
Check it out

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 12, 2017
Bible's of weed

Re: 100 Students Caught As UNILAG Begins Testing Students For Hard Drugs by just2endowed: 12:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
iamjavadem:
Why dont you try it and find out since you are so concerned.

Try what

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

From MBBS To Botany, Please I Need Suggestion! / Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? / Protest In Yabatech Over Death Of A Final Year Student (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.