Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,905 members, 7,817,681 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (29817 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / The Difference Between The Phrases “you And Me” And “you And I” / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by JORDAN202: 12:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
SO WHAT
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by coolebux(m): 12:57pm On Nov 12, 2017
In the East, when shouting "ought to"
Nnaa you have to shape your before someone misquote you for saying "ot*"gringrin
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by blahc007: 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2017
calberian:
You ought to know that, in this Buhari era, ds kain grammatical tins no dey pay. Oughtn't you?
lol..egbon na wetin naa
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by chiroyale(f): 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2017
calberian:
You ought to know that, in this Buhari era, ds kain grammatical tins no dey pay. Oughtn't you?

I ought so too..
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by tonio2wo: 1:02pm On Nov 12, 2017
The girl is sitting by the window, do she? Yes do she! grin grin
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2017
English does not pay bills...
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
why do we say " how are u"? instead of "how is you"? when we are referring to just one person :-Xwhy do we say " how are u"? instead of "how is you"? when we are referring to just one person
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Stormyweather(m): 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
They are not wrong in those sense at least some of them. They are colloquial and have grown to become right that really is the joy of English language and the reason it is still a living language
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Freksy(m): 1:25pm On Nov 12, 2017
Samstyle:
Here are some confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably do Not know. I advise you read this post assiduously and take note of the words below.

1. ALRIGHT

Do you know that the word "alright " is a
wrong word. However, there is no reason for
this, but, its correct form should be "all right".
You should also note that "Already, Almost,
Almighty and Altogether" are correct.

2. THE USE OF "THAT"

The following sentences are wrong

a. I had no idea the house was THAT small.
b. As a pianist he isn't really THAT good.

This use of "THAT" is wrong and is to be avoided. The correct form of the above
sentences are:

a. As a pianist he isn't really as good as that

b. I had no idea that the house was as small as that.

The common expression "that much " and
" that many " should be " as much as" and "as
many as that"

3. ADVERSE TO

You cannot be "averse to" , or " show aversion to". This is because the suffix " to" signifies approach, when the opposite is intended. And as so, you can only be "averse
from" , or show "aversion from" something.

4. TRY AND

When you say " try and " do something, it means you try first, before doing it. Thus, there are two actions involved in the
word " try and ".
" Try to" on the other hand, implies the combined action of trying and doing. Usually the correct expression is " try to",
and when people say "try and " they seldom have the logic meaning in mind.

5. AT ABOUT

When you say

"I shall expect you are about five o'clock."

You are wrong. This is because, "at" applies to " a definite time" . Therefore "at about" is a
confusion of two unlikely, and should be avoided.
The correct sentence should be
" I shall expect you about five o'clock".

6. OUGHT TO

" He ought to, didn't he? " is something we often hear. The correct construction is, " He
ought to, oughtnt't he? Or ought he not? ".

7. CIRCUMSTANCES

" Circumstances " are the events around something. Therefore it is wrong to say " under the circumstances " the correct use
is " in the circumstances ".

Hope this helps you improve your grammatical structure.

To read more click below

http://www.schoolwap.ga/2017/11/confusing-english-wordsphrases-you.html?m=1
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by thunderbabs: 1:30pm On Nov 12, 2017
calberian:

Egbeeeeeee grin
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by pdppower: 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2017
@op, you are very wrong to say 'averse from'. It is, and will always be 'averse to'. Check all your dictionaries.
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by MayorMgbedike(m): 1:57pm On Nov 12, 2017
ALRIGHT is never a wrong word. What you should have done is to give the difference between ALRIGHT and ALL RIGHT, in usage.

1 Like

Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by GOFRONT(m): 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2017
Engilish eh Ingilish eh because of Ingilish eh My teacher won Punish me eeeh!!!!!......Bright Chimez
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by olowobaba10: 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2017
I DON'T KNOW WHERE GOT YOUR FACTS FROM BUT ALRIGHT AND ALL RIGHT ARE BOTH CORRECT.
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by internationalman(m): 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
inotice:
i have never seen a white man utter that "oughtn't" before... nigerians always trying to be more "English" than the English man.
Don't mind them. I listen to English man analyze football everyday, I have never heard them say oughtn't it or in the circumstances.
They are d ones that form d words, so I don't know where a Nigeria man comes with these ideas.
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by internationalman(m): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2017
amnesty7:

I disagree with this. In the classic movie Casablanca, the following ensured:
Captain Renault: [With amusement] Under the circumstances I will sit down. ..."

I will rather go with their English.
Nigeria matter tire me.
It just like a white man teaching me how to speak Bini language.

Even in d TV series the originals, clause Michaekson who's is an English man, he never said anything like in the circumstances.

1 Like

Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by jaszplus12(m): 3:03pm On Nov 12, 2017
Samstyle:
Here are some confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably do Not know. I advise you read this post assiduously and take note of the words below.

1. ALRIGHT

2. THE USE OF "THAT"

The following sentences are wrong

a. I had no idea the house was THAT small.
b. As a pianist he isn't really THAT good.

This use of "THAT" is wrong and is to be avoided. The correct form of the above
sentences are:

a. As a pianist he isn't really as good as that

b. I had no idea that the house was as small as that.

The common expression "that much " and
" that many " should be " as much as" and "as
many as that"

3. ADVERSE TO

You cannot be "averse to" , or " show aversion to". This is because the suffix " to" signifies approach, when the opposite is intended. And as so, you can only be "averse
from" , or show "aversion from" something.

4. TRY AND

When you say " try and " do something, it means you try first, before doing it. Thus, there are two actions involved in the
word " try and ".
" Try to" on the other hand, implies the combined action of trying and doing. Usually the correct expression is " try to",
and when people say "try and " they seldom have the logic meaning in mind.

5. AT ABOUT

When you say

"I shall expect you are about five o'clock."

You are wrong. This is because, "at" applies to " a definite time" . Therefore "at about" is a
confusion of two unlikely, and should be avoided.
The correct sentence should be
" I shall expect you about five o'clock".

6. OUGHT TO

" He ought to, didn't he? " is something we often hear. The correct construction is, " He
ought to, oughtnt't he? Or ought he not? ".

7. CIRCUMSTANCES

" Circumstances " are the events around something. Therefore it is wrong to say " under the circumstances " the correct use
is " in the circumstances ".

Hope this helps you improve your grammatical structure.

To read more click below

thanks for the very educating write up! keep it coming
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Toks2008(m): 3:14pm On Nov 12, 2017
This English sef. .
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Pedrogold(m): 3:21pm On Nov 12, 2017
You don't mean it? But while I was reading for jamb. (Invisible teacher by) Dele Ashade said oughten't isn't correct. It should rather be mustn't. You people should stop confusing us jare!
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Sfateema(f): 3:48pm On Nov 12, 2017
This "oughtn't he" sounds funny to me,
I'd rather use "shouldn't he"
kiss
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Sfateema(f): 3:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
calberian:

shocked grin grin
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Deo1986(m): 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2017
[quote author=Sakie post=62306554][/quote]Depends on the context of the conversation.
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Deo1986(m): 4:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
[quote author=Sakie post=62306554][/quote]Depends on the context of the conversation. Especially if a question about some who has done something perfectly is thrown to you.
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by IForgotMyLoginD(f): 4:28pm On Nov 12, 2017
Very enlightening.
Everything you've said is correct, except #1.
Alright and All right are both correct. 'Alright' is another spelling of 'All right'. And it's also in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Samstyle:

1. ALRIGHT

To read more click below

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Engr1(m): 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mr poster, pls hold on let me confirm from google.........(searching).

Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by cmarte: 6:35pm On Nov 12, 2017
Thanks a million for your effort.

However, you need to conduct your research thoroughly before posting online. Your claims in number 7 isn't really correct.

English language is so deep that if one doesn't take time you miss the way. The word CIRCUMSTANCE is a noun often used as circumstances. Be that as it may, it is perfect to say in/under the circumstances.

Thus, it is right to say, we oppose capital punishment in/under any circumstances.

You may read up the meaning of circumstance as defined by Cambridge dictionary for details.

@CMARTE
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Orkumarob(m): 6:55pm On Nov 12, 2017
nice one, learning they say is a continuous process

Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 12, 2017
Englisch hard o. Hardn't it?
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by yemififi: 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
Grammarians should describe a language as it is not as it should be.
What makes an expression correct is the acceptability as there is no genuine reason why the above listed expressions cannot be correct. Is there?
Lets not complictes things unnecessarily for speakers of a language.
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by yemififi: 7:55pm On Nov 12, 2017
Grammarians should describe a language as it is not as it should be.
What makes an expression correct is the acceptability as there is no genuine reason why the above listed expressions cannot be correct. Is there?
Lets not complicate things unnecessarily for speakers of a language.
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by yemififi: 7:59pm On Nov 12, 2017
Grammarians mist describe language as it is not as they want it to be.
There's no essentially sensible reason why the above listed expressions should be wrong.
What make an expression correct is the acceptability among users. Let's not make language unnecessarily difficult for speaker.
Even in countries like uk,less emphasis is placed on grammaticality as opposed to acceptability
Re: Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know by barrysome001: 8:02pm On Nov 12, 2017
Oughtn't he? grin grin grin
Sounds funny. OP thanks for sharing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2021/2022 Post Graduate Scholarship Award Scheme / Unilag Cut Off Mark / ~::ANSOAU~::(Information Crib)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.