Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,194 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo (34069 Views)

Nobody Should Take Mohbad's Body Without My Permission — Father (Video) / Sir Victor Uwaifo Is Dead / Vandora: Before My Boyfriend Has Sex With Me, He Must Get My Permission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by raquel23(f): 7:17pm On Nov 26, 2017
Ishilove:

Don't mind them. They are used to all these rubbish Davido and Burna boy lousy music that they are gradually becoming tone deaf
precisely! cheesy grin
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 26, 2017
Tolexander:
Baba, your "Joromi" and Simi's "Joromi" are two different songs and genres. Though of the same title.

"Joromi" is his copyright. Contents do not matter. That was why 50 cents changed his movie name from "things fall apart" to all things fall apart or so, Achebe didn't give him permission. Just the name alone does the work.

5 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by martineverest(m): 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2017
cyberguy72:
uwaifo shld go to hell.2 Totally different songs.BECOS THE SONG DON BLOW YOU WANT TO REAP WHERE YOU DID NOT SOW
Robin thicke £7m fine wasn't as bad as joromi, bro........ So sad that a septugenarian knows the law more than u

9 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Ishilove: 7:20pm On Nov 26, 2017
Abagworo:

It's the same lyrics, tune and melody. Joromi jo mi jo.....

The build up is different but the parent work deserves acknowledgement.
Simple. I'm genuinely baffled how anyone who has listened to both songs can argue that plagiarism has occured
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:
They won't pay for _shit. Show me any line, lyrics or beats from stolen and plagiarized from Sir Uwaifor's song.

Are u naturally stupid? Joromi is his copyright. Even if it is a fashion statement, he made it popular and it became his copyright. All your statements reeks of stupidity.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Ishilove: 7:23pm On Nov 26, 2017
martineverest:
Robin thicke £7m fine wasn't as bad as joromi, bro........ So sad that a septugenarian knows the law more than u
Indomie generation. When you tell them to get off Nairaland and go read, to broaden their knowledge, they will start cussing you, revelling in their ignorance with unapologetic glee.

9 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2017
Arondizuogu:

Are u naturally stupid? Joromi is his copyright. Even if it is a fashion statement, he made it popular and it became his copyright. All your statements reeks of stupidity.
Shut up slowpoke, you can't copyright a song title. Show me anywhere in law where you can or keep quiet.

4 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by donbenie(m): 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2017
GreatDreams:
Even in his death he should still be acknowledged, piracy is piracy, you can't plagiarize a paragraph and not face the consequences.....Simi, over to you
With all due respect to him,the only thing SIMILAR between the two songs is the title..
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by tiwiex(m): 7:25pm On Nov 26, 2017
Tolexander:
Baba, your "Joromi" and Simi's "Joromi" are two different songs and genres. Though of the same title.

They are not. The moment u hear it u think of d original

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Originality007: 7:26pm On Nov 26, 2017
Pa Victor, is broke
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by ayagha: 7:26pm On Nov 26, 2017
Nigerian youths are just ignorant. The stealing of intellectual property is obvious for all to see.
This is how dremo used Fela voice and publicly acknowledged on babyface show that he didn't take permission from Felas estate

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by donbenie(m): 7:28pm On Nov 26, 2017
swaggss:

I think the man invented the name "joromi" or have u heard or seen anyone with such name, the name is "fictional". If so he has the right, I stand to be corrected sha.
Did he patent the name JOROMI?..if indeed he originated it,which I highly doubt..

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by tiwiex(m): 7:29pm On Nov 26, 2017
martineverest:
That was the first case that came to my mind too. She kept chorusing Joromi. Sounded so much like his song abeg. The guy said it's OK, they are still making mouth.

4 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 26, 2017
Arondizuogu:

"Joromi" is his copyright. Contents do not matter. That was why 50 cents changed his movie name from "things fall apart" to all things fall apart or so, Achebe didn't give him permission. Just the name alone does the work.
Did he patent the name Joromi? Did he invent it? Chinua Achebe has a copyright to "Things fall apart", does Uwaifor have a copyright to the name Joromi?

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by donbenie(m): 7:30pm On Nov 26, 2017
Ishilove:

They know, they are just being thieves.

The ones supporting the pirates have never had their work stolen hence their comments
Which work,the only thing SIMILAR between them is the word JOROMI..does that equal piracy in your own book and did he at any time patent it..

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by tiwiex(m): 7:30pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:
Shut up slowpoke, you can't copyright a song title. Show me anywhere in law where you can or keep quiet.
Have u heard Victor Uwaifos version? I doubt.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:

Simi and Jaywon did not remix Sir Victor Uwaifor's song, that their songs bear the same title with his song does not mean stealing. Except the song title, Simi's Joromi is completely different from Uwaifor's Joromi.

And as much as I know, there is no where in law where a song title can be copyrighted.

Thanks for sharing

Makes me wonder why 50 Cent's completely unrelated movie that was to be billed as "Things Fall Apart" had to get a new title.

There's more to intellectual property issues than meets the eye...

2018 Update: I hadn't even heard the song when I wrote that comment last year

Listening to it now, those artistes should be GRATEFUL to Sir Victor Uwaifo for his mercy

This song went beyond swiping the song title; even the "Joromi Jo" refrain is clearly "inspired" by Uwaifo's original.

IP lawyers in other climes have gotten fat settlements for even lesser stunts.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 26, 2017
tiwiex:

Have u heard Victor Uwaifos version? I doubt.
I have.
Av listened to dt song multiple times... No sign of remix ooooooo...
Was joromi not an everyday word back den?? Abi Na d man invent d word??
Mk d old man kamdan jawe..... So if I titled my next single SKELEWI now, funny voice go sue me

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by BluntBoy(m): 7:32pm On Nov 26, 2017
Ishilove:
This man is truly a living legend. He probably doesn't want to drag issues with people young enough to be his grandchildren, but notwithstanding, these young thieves need to understand that piracy is a very serious offense.

Simi, take note

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Opelwonder(m): 7:33pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:

Simi and Jaywon did not remix Sir Victor Uwaifor's song, that their songs bear the same title with his song does not mean stealing. Except the song title, Simi's Joromi is completely different from Uwaifor's Joromi.

And as much as I know, there is no where in law where a song title can be copyrighted.

listen to the chorus again. Then u will know they copied. In the USA, simi wud av paid for the chorus line. Joro mi jo mi joro

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:36pm On Nov 26, 2017
Lol... Many so called educated people showing their ignorance, most people think plagiarism is all about copying everything without referencing.

Funny.

8 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by funmise007(m): 7:37pm On Nov 26, 2017
I felt d man was right they stole his content cos joromi wasn't an English word neither a name probably he coined out dat name himself
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by jonadaft: 7:38pm On Nov 26, 2017
Tolexander:

Shut up!
Olodo

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by donbenie(m): 7:38pm On Nov 26, 2017
martineverest:
what u said doesn't follow...... Recall, Robin thicke was asked to pay $7m just 4 using a line of one old school artiste track
Totally different,the case against Thicke by the Gay family was much more than the appropriation of a word..which Uwaifo didn't invent in the first instance..

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 26, 2017
Opelwonder:
listen to the chorus again. Then u will know they copied. In the USA, simi wud av paid for the chorus line. Joro mi jo mi joro
Joromi, Jo mi joro is quite different from Simi's "Joromi, joro"
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by femi4: 7:38pm On Nov 26, 2017
Tolexander:

seconded. No link apart from name

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by martineverest(m): 7:39pm On Nov 26, 2017
Ishilove:

Indomie generation. When you tell them to get off Nairaland and go read, to broaden their knowledge, they will start cussing you, revelling in their ignorance with unapologetic glee.
it's really sad that these same youths are the future of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by jonadaft: 7:39pm On Nov 26, 2017
emeijeh:
The old man is not thinking straight again o. grin

#joromi1960
Is that how you think of your father?
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Chukazu: 7:40pm On Nov 26, 2017
Tolexander:

There is nothing different about it except the voice.

Nigerian artist are so silly and myopic,it doesn't cost a thing to seek permission for a remix but because of warped mentality they want to play smart.

7 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by martineverest(m): 7:40pm On Nov 26, 2017
femi4:
seconded. No link apart from name
the last part of Simi's chorus tells it all..Simi pick the line from the original song as well as the tune .... Don't be ignorant bro

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by donbenie(m): 7:40pm On Nov 26, 2017
funmise007:
I felt d man was right they stole his content cos joromi wasn't an English word neither a name probably he coined out dat name himself
JOROMI is a West African fashion sense..he didn't coin it..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tekno Baby Mama, Lola Rae Shares New Amazing Photos / Late Dr Giwa's Sister Reveals: Ibinabo Is Not Remorseful / Kemi Olunloyo Calls Nigerians Illiterates For Referring To Her As An Ex-Convict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.