Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,555 members, 7,837,134 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo (34066 Views)

Nobody Should Take Mohbad's Body Without My Permission — Father (Video) / Sir Victor Uwaifo Is Dead / Vandora: Before My Boyfriend Has Sex With Me, He Must Get My Permission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2017
Ishilove:

You are very wrong. Simi's 'joromi' is a rip off of Uwaifo's 'Joromi'. She used 'Uwaifo's' chorus in her song and even appropriated the title.
show me a line that is in both Uwaifor and Simi song that was plagiarized.

Uwaifo does not have a patent to the song title, so no one needs his permission before using it.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by charlsecy(m): 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2017
KendrickAyomide:
.This old man should be happy people are trying to revive his small legacy
Did you read the article?
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by femi4: 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2017
funmise007:
I felt d man was right they stole his content cos joromi wasn't an English word neither a name probably he coined out dat name himself
Joromi is every day naija slang. He coined nothing
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Drbarmes(m): 7:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
Ishilove:

Don't mind them. They are used to all these rubbish Davido and Burna boy lousy music that they are gradually becoming tone deaf
bros comot burna boy frm dis

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by femi4: 7:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
martineverest:
the last part of Simi's chorus tells it all..Simi pick the line from the original song as well as the tune .... Don't be ignorant bro
what line, check the chorus again. You are the ignorant here

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Chukazu: 7:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:
Joromi, Jo mi joro is quite different from Simi's "Joromi, joro"

And what happens to that "signature tune" that was also copied by Simi?
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by yhemster(m): 7:43pm On Nov 26, 2017
Nigerians and their oversabi no credible justification. In the last decade, when Chinua Achebe sued 50 cents for making a movie called "Things fall apart" y'all are clapping for the litigation.
The old man appreciated the name "Joromi" being reused bt warned the muscians to due diligence next time. The old "Joromi" was an international song, he probably has the right to the name. In addition, listen to both song again and compare.
Another example is the Litigation on "Blurred line" by Robin Thicke. Look it up, you'll understand better.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 26, 2017
Chukazu:

And what happens to that "signature tune" that was also copied by Simi?
what tune? No tune was copied in the song. I have both songs on my phone and I can't see any Semblance except the song title.

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by martineverest(m): 7:44pm On Nov 26, 2017
femi4:
what line, check the chorus again. You are the ignorant here
.... "joromi joromi, I want you to love me JOROMI JO"

"anywhere u go JOROMI JO MI JO..... JOROMI o JOROMI JO "

That single line could wreck Simi financial career for ever if found guilty

Remember 50 Cent and Chinue Achebe saga?

4 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by bkool7(m): 7:44pm On Nov 26, 2017
swaggss:

I think the man invented the name "joromi" or have u heard or seen anyone with such name, the name is "fictional". If so he has the right, I stand to be corrected sha.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/11/jaywon-replies-victor-uwaifo-didnt-remix-steal-joromi/
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by 1kingwriter: 7:45pm On Nov 26, 2017
Using his title is STEALING.
You remember years back when 50 Cent approached Chinua Achebe to use the name Things Fall Apart for a movie for a price of $1,000,000 but he refused.

So using the name is wrong without permission.

4 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by bkool7(m): 7:45pm On Nov 26, 2017
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by martineverest(m): 7:46pm On Nov 26, 2017
1kingwriter:
You remember years back when 50 Cent approached Chinua Achebe to use the name Things Fall Apart for a movie for a price of $1,000,000 but he refused.

tell dem o....ignorant youth everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 26, 2017
Anyone that can't see the semblance between Simi's Joromi and Sir Victor uwaifos own must be very deaf in the ear.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Chukazu: 7:50pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:
what tune? No tune was copied in the song. I have both songs on my phone and I can't see any Semblance except the song title.

Listen to the fading of SIMI's own ... just listen again.

Of course it's called a "remix" so everything is not supposed to sound exactly the same ,but the similarities was too obvious

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by femi4: 7:51pm On Nov 26, 2017
martineverest:
.... "joromi joromi, I want you to love me JOROMI JO JORO"

Must you lie

Joromi Joromi
I want you to love me
Joromi baby
Joromi Joro
Kiode? Kilode o?
Why you no dey call me
Kilode baby?
Kilode Joro

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by monddy25(m): 7:53pm On Nov 26, 2017
my bro, I tell u, if its some of the musicians of nowadays, even though its just the beat on a single phrase of their song that is been copied, wahala go burst. but see this great legendary just over look some childish wayo, and even give them advise on top. twale!! for u sir.

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Talkwell: 7:56pm On Nov 26, 2017
femi4:
Must you lie
Joromi Joromi I want you to love me Joromi baby Joromi Joro Kiode? Kilode o? Why you no dey call me Kilode baby? Kilode Joro
abeg help me tell the guy abi ear no de work well

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by tintingz(m): 7:57pm On Nov 26, 2017
Ishilove:

You are very wrong. Simi's 'joromi' is a rip off of Uwaifo's 'Joromi'. She used 'Uwaifo's' chorus in her song and even appropriated the title.
Using a title of someone's song is not under any copyright especially when the author is not the inventor of the name and the origin is not sufficient, using the beat, sound and lyrics is what can be said to be copyrighted.

In law I think there is years duration to a songs which can be said not to require permission or license , Yes Simi and Jaywon need to require permission if they want to sing Sir Uwaifo version of the song.

And simi and jaywon joromi song is not any close to victor uwaifo joromi song to even call it a remix, the song I can call a remix is (DJ khaleed, Rihana song - wild thought).

The only way he could win the case is using the popularity of the song sang by him to claim copyright which is just 10-15% chance.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2017
1kingwriter:

No it is not. Why? Because Chinua Achebe as a patent and copyright to his, Uwaifor doesn't. You can't copyright a song title.

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 26, 2017
martineverest:
.... "joromi joromi, I want you to love me JOROMI JO"

"Joromi mi o, Jo mi joro" is quite different from Simi's "Joromi, joro". The lines are different.

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by martineverest(m): 8:02pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:

"Joromi mi o, Jo mi joro" is quite different from Simi's "Joromi, joro". The lines are different.
the tune nko?
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 26, 2017
martineverest:
the tune nko?
What tune? The tune are different. I have both songs on my phone and I can't seem to see the similar tune you guys are pointing to.

3 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by yhemster(m): 8:06pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:

It's a thin line bro. Moreover, he was the first to use the name in a song.
What do have to say abt the saga on "Blurred Line" by robin thicke.
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by martineverest(m): 8:06pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:
What tune? The tune are different. I have both songs on my phone and I can't seem to see the similar tune you guys are pointing to.
the end of the chorus
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by CaptainFM1: 8:06pm On Nov 26, 2017
Shut the Bleep up, old man. You need to know the Legitimate use of any part of a song before you can conclude they've infringe on your copyright.

The word Joromi in all the songs refers to someone, as it's a name of a person. You can only prove infringement if substantial part of the songs are matched lyrically, in tunes, in sounds, in beats and even dance-step. And I think by standard copyright law, it's a measure of about 10%.

Do you know how many times Dangote, Otedola, Omotola, Genevieve, Folake etc has been mentioned in various songs? Why are they not complaining of infringement?

The answer is simply because no one can lay singular right on such names. Not Even Dangote or Obama can lay singular ownership to their own names. Unless you can proof that substantial part of your songs has been copied, lyrically, composition, tunes, sounds and beats etc. There's no copyright infringement whatsoever. The word Joromi in all the songs is for GENERIC use, including yours.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:
Did he patent the name Joromi? Did he invent it? Chinua Achebe has a copyright to "Things fall apart", does Uwaifor have a copyright to the name Joromi?

Oh please! The man made Joromi popular. She even used his tune and almost everything. Keep lying and deceiving yourself. Grindr calls bitch.

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Chukazu: 8:11pm On Nov 26, 2017
Hozier:

No it is not. Why? Because Chinua Achebe as a patent and copyright to his, Uwaifor doesn't. You can't copyright a song title.

Before you make such sweeping remarks can you prove beyond doubt that SIR UWAIFO did not patent his song?

2 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by cyberguy72(m): 8:15pm On Nov 26, 2017
donbenie:
JOROMI is a West African fashion sense..he didn't coin it..
i wonder ooo
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by cyberguy72(m): 8:17pm On Nov 26, 2017
Joromi is a fashion term from Nigeria in West Africa. It can mean:

the style of an embroidered blouse or jerkin (see [1])
a style of high-life music popularised by Sir Victor Uwaifo

In the folklore of ancient Bini (Benin-City or Benin Empire), Joromi was a warrior (wrestler) who battled and defeated all possible rivals on earth. With no rivals on earth to engage in battle, he decided to battle with people from the Afterworld.

Defying warnings from the elders of the land he engaged in battle with a warrior from the Afterworld. He never returned to tell if he was victorious.

The story of Joromi became popular when renowned musician Sir Victor Uwaifo sang about Joromi.

Stub icon This Nigeria-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joromi
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by CaptainFM1: 8:18pm On Nov 26, 2017
And simi and jaywon joromi song is not any close to victor uwaifo joromi song to even call it a remix, the song I can call a remix is (DJ khaleed, Rihana song - wild thought)[/quote]

Also you have:
Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke VS Mavin Gaye's Family over "Blurred Lines"
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by bkool7(m): 8:18pm On Nov 26, 2017
Actually, the song is Jawon's

But the question i have for Jawon and those supportin him is,
" From whom did you all first heard the word Joromi?"

Even 50 cent wringly sought Chinua Achebe's permition to use "Things Fall Apart" thinging Achebe owns it.

www.naijastories.com/2011/09/achebe-rejects-50cents-use-of-the-things-fall-apart-title/

But then, Achebe wasnt the first to use the sentence " Things fall apart; the center cannot hold"
It was first used in the first stanza of W.B.Yeats' poem "The Second Coming" written in 1919.

www.potw.org/archive/potw351.html

I'm sure even 50 didnt know this, he wouldnt have gone asking for Achebe's consent .

So Jawon should jst tell us where he first heard the word Joromi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Davido Just Signed Idowest to DMW / Buhari's Mimica Comedian MC Tagwaye Bags International Appointment / Joseph and Adaeze Yobo Share Workout Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.