Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) (42860 Views)

Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing At Shiloh 2017 (Video) / TB Joshua Speaks On Tithing As Daddy Freeze Praises Him (Video) / Daddy Freeze Replies Apostle Suleman On Tithing (Free The Sheeple) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by obatoro: 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2017
sarutobie:

So i should take your word and that of freeze as established truths from 2 witnesses abi? Instead of what Christ himself said?? You try wella.

Let me just clear the air here, Jesus Christ said it because he was still living when the law of Moses was still in force. They were still observing the Sabbath and burnt sacrifices but when he died, the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom, meaning that we have direct access to God and not through any priest. He fulfilled the law. You need to know the biblical concept of tithing, it was meant for the Levites, the direct biological descendants of Aaron.

3 Likes

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by TI1919(m): 12:36pm On Nov 12, 2017
IamtherealRita:

Collecting Tithe and offering is a form of unbelief to God

Most all believers think of unbelief, not as a sin but as a weakness. And therefore they don't learn to hate unbelief as they hate other sins.

But the Bible speaks of an unbelieving heart as an EVIL heart (He. 3: 12) Jesus rebuked His disciples seven times for unbelief. (See Mt. 6:30; 8:26; 14:31; 16:8; 17:17-20; Mk.16:14; Lk.24:25). It seems that He almost never rebuked His disciples for anything else!!

Unbelief is an insult to God, because it implies that God does not care or provide for His children even as much as evil fathers on earth care and provide for their children.

There is also a counterfeit faith being preached these days, as a means of getting things from God. But that is not the faith that Jesus preached. He wanted us to have faith to live by, in our daily life. Victory over depression, bad moods and discouragement can come only as we have faith in a loving Father in heaven and in the wonderful promises He has given us in His Word.

Twice we read of Jesus being amazed - once when he saw FAITH and once when He saw UNBELIEF!! (Mt. 8:10; Mk. 6:6). Jesus was excited whenever He saw faith in people. And He was disappointed when He saw people unwilling to trust in a loving Father in heaven.

Most Pastors today believe in their members pocket not God, I can boldly tell you that Gbile Akani is a good example for any Christian today, Zac Ponnem and their likes not Pastors like the one you saw in that video who will even tell you to attack a Fulani man for attacking you or like Pastor Suleman or Apostle Suleman they are NOT an example for any serious Christian
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by jaxxy(m): 12:38pm On Nov 12, 2017
lonelydora:

I understand there are real and fake Pastors. Some of these pastors you see don't even touch church money. They run programmes both on air, media, and online. They pay church workers, they maintain all parish buildings, they travel to preach the word in different locations, etc. Some pastors i know, even pay school fees, house rents, buy food for the widows and orphans in their church. We need to stop criticisms.

The pastors dat do wat ure saying are probably just 30% bt let's look at the big ones dat shud best examples. I hv been to a number of these churches on vist and I attend one. I don't believe in sentiments I believe in actions and facts and figures. Brazil a circular govt made one of its top universities reserve 50% of its admission for lower income earners why? So such level of people can hv access to the best educations. I dont see the church doing anything for it's common members or the masses in general. It's a selfish organisation and with a selfish mindset. Did Christ not feed 5000 did he not help those who needed. Why do these people only care for them selves and allies. They are gradually becoming like the Pharisees and scribes of the bible

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Joeflexy: 12:43pm On Nov 12, 2017
Giving is just like the law of gravity,it obey both on the spiritual realm and physical.Some of this pastor understand it and they have repackage it to benefit them more instead of their community.I don't understand while a church will have a school that more than 90% of the establishment of the school comes from member of his congregation and yet the school cannot admit always 30% of his member who are less opportune to afford the school fees.
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by sarutobie(m): 12:45pm On Nov 12, 2017
obatoro:

Let me just clear the air here, Jesus Christ said it because he was still living when the law of Moses was still in force. They were still observing the Sabbath and burnt sacrifices but when he died, the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom, meaning that we have direct access to God and not through any priest. He fulfilled the law. You need to know the biblical concept of tithing, it was meant for the Levites, the direct biological descendants of Aaron.
But the same bible told us that heaven and earth shall pass away before even the smallest word from God is changed...do you know that Ananias and his wife were struck down because they lied with their own money before the congregation of believers? If they withheld the entire money nothing would have happened to them, but instead they chose to play a fast one on God...the Levites didn’t farm or trade so they were sustained through the tithing from the people...in 1st Corinthians 9:13, the same sustenance of the levites was also invoked for those who worked in the house of God, read it...that same law was invoked in 1st Timothy 5:18...again read it..
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by castro316: 12:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
lonelydora:
Most people criticising pastors do not even pay tithe or contribute more than 2000 naira for a church project, and they make the loudest noise.

Real givers in church who give large amount of money does so secretly without anyone's knowledge.

People, if as a contractor, i win a big contract or i get promoted in my job with the aid of my pastors prayers, omo, what is 10% or more to give God back?

If you can't pay tithe, leave those that understands the kingdom's principles of tithing to continue.

A check on my bosses, have shown that they donate massively in church projects/pay tithes, reason they keep getting it back in folds.

I have some Alhaji friends (non-fanatics) who whenever i give them invitation for a church project launching, they willingly give me big money in an envelope to give to the Church.

WE NEED A CREED ON CHRISTIAN THREADS HERE JUST LIKE THE MUSLIMS HAVE

Chai. Broda.... only if you read your bible properly, you won't be talking like this. even the school we go to our teachers force us to read but in truth we read to pass only but. Not to get undersatnding...thats why I will not blame you for the way you talk...go and read detronomy 14:22-29, 26:1 til the end let us dialogue mat 25

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2017
What did he say exactly to prove that tithing is 'New Testament' biblical ? All he is still explaining is why people should bring money to him, nothing new.

Yes to whom much is given, much is expected but am nothing expected to give it to pastor its to the needy, and god said " I'm the needy "
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by lereinter(m): 1:01pm On Nov 12, 2017
but why are they responding
tithe is the least thing a pastor should be concerned about
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2017
sarutobie:

But the same bible told us that heaven and earth shall pass away before even the smallest word from God is changed...do you know that Ananias and his wife were struck down because they lied with their own money before the congregation of believers? If they withheld the entire money nothing would have happened to them, but instead they chose to play a fast one on God...the Levites didn’t farm or trade so they were sustained through the tithing from the people...in 1st Corinthians 9:13, the same sustenance of the levites was also invoked for those who worked in the house of God, read it...that same law was invoked in 1st Timothy 5:18...again read it..

That's Old Testament. New Testament equals Christianity. If you want to keep dwelling in the old we might as well bring back the Ten Commandments and also take people as slaves those are all approved in the Old Testament.
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by BabaAduras: 1:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
lonelydora:
Most people criticising pastors do not even pay tithe or contribute more than 2000 naira for a church project, and they make the loudest noise.

Real givers in church who give large amount of money does so secretly without anyone's knowledge.

People, if as a contractor, i win a big contract or i get promoted in my job with the aid of my pastors prayers, omo, what is 10% or more to give God back?

If you can't pay tithe, leave those that understands the kingdom's principles of tithing to continue.

A check on my bosses, have shown that they donate massively in church projects/pay tithes, reason they keep getting it back in folds.

I have some Alhaji friends (non-fanatics) who whenever i give them invitation for a church project launching, they willingly give me big money in an envelope to give to the Church.

WE NEED A CREED ON CHRISTIAN THREADS HERE JUST LIKE THE MUSLIMS HAVE

There is a difference between tithing and donating to the church.

Nobody is questioning donating to the church for whatever purpose, but then it should be voluntary and cheerfully given. The bible says God loves a cheerful giver and the Bilbe also said we should not go before God empty handed.

It seems the donations and offerings are.not enough for the Pastorprenuers, they want the tithes which the are preaching that you must comprusily bring to the church. That is crux of the discussion. Pastorprenuers demand tithes are going against Gods commandment as given in Duet 14 from verse 22 to the end. That portion of the bible gives the reason for tithing and what "you" not your "Pastor" should do with your tithe.

I believe in tithing but I do not believe in taking my tithe to the Pastor. My tithe is for me, to buy whatever my soul desire, it is for for widows and orphans within my gate, it is for helping strangers, and, a portion, at my discretion is for the Levites (which I take as Pastors). The key word there is I control the portion of the tithe that goes to the Pastor.

Brethren, this is not a make up, it is clearly stated in Duet 14, verse 22 to the end. Doing anything contrary to this Gods commandment is nothing but SIN.

2 Likes

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by IMASTEX: 1:07pm On Nov 12, 2017
freeman95:
Hahahaha

This daddy freeze talk pain all this pastor sha.

Them no want make market spoil grin

Seriously. . .the way they are defending especially without bible references keep me wondering. Just the same way Governors fight against Local Government Autonomy. Yet want resource control for the state. 98% of the pastors are after the resources and power. If they are really after salvation, then there are not enough churches already in Nigeria. What of the Arabian nations?!

2 Likes

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by IMASTEX: 1:07pm On Nov 12, 2017
freeman95:
Hahahaha

This daddy freeze talk pain all this pastor sha.

Them no want make market spoil grin

Seriously. . .the way they are defending especially without bible references keep me wondering. Just the same way Governors fight against Local Government Autonomy. Yet want resource control for the state. 98% of the pastors are after the resources and power. If they are really after salvation, then there are not enough churches already in Nigeria. What of the Arabian nations?!
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by wirinet(m): 1:07pm On Nov 12, 2017
obatoro:

You seem to be the only Christian that understands the core message of Jesus, that every one is on the same pedestal as far as God is concerned - no priest, bishop, father, pope is closer to God than you. You can reach god directly without any intermediary. Christ actually fought the prevailing hierarchical order of the Pharisees and Sadducees. It was Paul that that reestablished the hierarchical order to god after the death of Christ.

3 Likes

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by lonelydora: 1:09pm On Nov 12, 2017
castro316:

Chai. Broda.... only if you read your bible properly, you won't be talking like this. even the school we go to our teachers force us to read but in truth we read to pass only but. Not to get undersatnding...thats why I will not blame you for the way you talk...go and read detronomy 14:22-29, 26:1 til the end let us dialogue mat 25

Now, let me teach you a little of the bible. There is a clause in the passage you quoted. Deuteronomy 14.24 says "if the way be too far..." it is only then you can turn it into money and buy whatever you want, including strong drink (Which is where i know you are heading to).

Is your church far? NO. Then take it to where your God has chosen for you.

Are you a farmer? NO. Then bring a tenth of your salary. If you are a farmer, you can bring whatever you farm.

I don't usually engage in religious argument shaa.
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 12, 2017
wirinet:
If you and your "man of God" DON'T keep the Sabbath (which is STILL Saturday), you don't celebrate Yom Kippur, you don't wear a Yarmulke,neither is there is Mezuzah on your door.You don't celebrate Bar/Bat Mitzvah for your sons/daughters(or you have no idea what all the Jewish customs mean and you just want Google it now!)...and you are claiming New Testament Levite so that you can eat the offerings in God's "house"...
#kontinu
happy Sabbath
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by IMASTEX: 1:15pm On Nov 12, 2017
elChapo1:
I'm not in support of freeze tho, but the rate at which some "mega" preachers be defending tithing shows how much freeze's speech hit them. The bible is too big for preachers to continually overemphasize on tithing!
Where a man's treasure is lies his heart at bolded. The only thing that matters in life is love to God and neighbors.

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by lonelydora: 1:19pm On Nov 12, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

So your bosses get back their tithe "investment" in folds? You think the tithe investment is the reason for their success?

So Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos or Larry Ellison or Warren Buffet or Carlos Slim or Larry Page or Sergei Brin - or let us even start with our own Dangote - told you that their success and wealth is a function of investing in tithes, abi? It's funny that many of you are probably highly educated people. How did you all come to be this brainwashed by charlatans and fraudsters appropriating and misinterpreting and twisting an anachronistic Jewish custom for their selfish benefits? Why can't you use your heads?

Do you even know how many churches Dangote donates to? Do you know how many charity organisations these people you mention run? Why do you think God's blessings is only about money? Do you know how many accidents, robbery, sickness, God prevented from coming to you? You have good health, shelter, 3 square meal,etc. These are blessings.
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by BrotherBlood1: 1:19pm On Nov 12, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, Daddy Freeze is winning this war of religious mental slavery by putting up a critical analyses of tithing backed up with facts from the bible.
The so called GOs like Adeboye, Oyedepo and Sule are lousy with their mediocrity analyses.

2 Likes

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by wirinet(m): 1:22pm On Nov 12, 2017
lonelydora:

Now, let me teach you a little of the bible. There is a clause in the passage you quoted. Deuteronomy 14.24 says "if the way be too far..." it is only then you can turn it into money and buy whatever you want, including strong drink (Which is where i know you are heading to).

Are you a farmer? NO. Then bring a tenth of your salary. If you are a farmer, you can bring whatever you farm.

Were everybody farmers during the time of christ ? Were there no lawyers, physicians, poets, tax collectors, carpenters, blacksmiths, etc during the time of Christ? How did they pay tithes?

2 Likes

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 12, 2017
I once saw this Mr oyedepo during the opening ceremony of their Abuja church in nasarawa. After spending hrs in traffic under the scorching sun and we finally got to enter the new church premises and this man arrived. I lost count of men in black. I just saw a flash of him. That day I vowed not to be that stupid again. Mr president can never be giving such welcome. If there are ways people will remove their clothes and put for him to step on,they would have done so.
Who wouldn't want to live in such opulence.
That's why we have so many pastors in every compound not street any more. And the most annoying thing is they are very quick to tell you "I'm a pastor"

If Nigerians should stop praying and start making use of their brains when in need, they will see what they have been missing. Prayer is for the lazy minds.
Task your mind and body and see wonderful outcomes.

When u are sick. Don't pray it away. Look for the cause. It might be dirty environment or food. Take the necessary drugs or visit a good health practitioner and clean up ur dirty environment. It's common sense.
Not praying for it to go away. If it's stress. Try and give your body the required rest instead of shouting all night in the name of prayer. Are we this dunce?

See all over nairaland. People will rant and end with may God bless Nigeria. And they end it there. Lazy minds breeds lazy people. A pastor once said why they collect politicians money is that they use that to expand the work of God. Really?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by tonio2wo: 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2017
wirinet:
If you and your "man of God" DON'T keep the Sabbath (which is STILL Saturday), you don't celebrate Yom Kippur, you don't wear a Yarmulke,neither is there is Mezuzah on your door.You don't celebrate Bar/Bat Mitzvah for your sons/daughters(or you have no idea what all the Jewish customs mean and you just want Google it now!)...and you are claiming New Testament Levite so that you can eat the offerings in God's "house"...
#kontinu

Abeg can I borrow this your quote? grin
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by tonio2wo: 1:32pm On Nov 12, 2017
lereinter:

but why are they responding

tithe is the least thing a pastor should be concerned about
Unfortunately that is all they are concerned about. That's why they are all jittery now.

Gob bless daddy freeze. #freethesheepies

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by VisioDirect: 1:39pm On Nov 12, 2017
sarutobie:
Can any TRUE christain with his/her bible at hand open to Matthew 23:23 and tell us what he/she understood from that passage(which was Christ himself speaking on the matter of tithing)...

SUNDAY SERMON: THE TRUTH ABOUT TITHING

I came across this piece on a Whatsapp page and it so represented my views on tithing that I could have written it myself. Please enjoy the read!

The Trial of Pastor Jones (Author unknown)

Judge: Mr. Jones you have been charged with multiple counts of extortion. Your crime spree covers 20 years and thousands of victims. You have defrauded people out of their money with fear and manipulation, telling them they had to tithe 10% of their income as per the LAW to your Regd. organization (called Church) and that God would bless them if they did. You also told them that if they didn't tithe God would curse them.

How do you plead?

Mr. Jones: I plead not guilty your Honor, I have done nothing wrong. I have only preached what the Bible says. In the Bible Abraham tithed to Melchizedek and God blessed him for his faithful giving. The Bible even says he was rich in silver and gold.

Judge: Is it not true, Mr. Jones, that in Genesis Chapter 13 verse 2 the Bible says Abraham was rich with livestock, silver and gold?

Mr. Jones: Yes, you are exactly right, that's what I just told you.

Judge: Ok, we read about Abraham being a rich man in chapter 13 but it is not until Genesis chapter 14 that we read about Abraham's tithe to Melchizedek. So Abraham was already a rich man before he tithed to Melchizedek, wasn't he?

Mr. Jones: Yes, I suppose you are right.

Judge: So his riches were not the result of his tithe to Melchizedek?

Mr. Jones: No.

Judge: Mr. Jones, you also say God blessed him for his faithful giving. How many times is it recorded that Abraham gave tithes to Melchizedek?

Mr. Jones: Well, just once.

Judge: So the Bible never said that he gave week after week?

Mr. Jones: No it does not.

Judge: Where did Abraham get the things that he gave to Melchizedek?

Mr. Jones: Well the Bible says it was from the plunders of war?

Judge: So you are telling me that he gave from the plunders of war?

Mr. Jones: Yes that's what the Bible says.

Judge: So he basically took things that were not really his in the first place and gave them as the tithe?

Mr. Jones: That is what the scripture seems to indicate.

Judge: Is it recorded that he ever took anything from his own possessions and tithed them to Melchizedek or anyone else?

Mr. Jones: I guess not

Judge: You guess not, you are a teacher and you are only guessing, is it or is it not written that he ever gave any of his own possessions as a tithe to anyone?

Mr. Jones: No it is not written anywhere that I have seen.

Judge: Is it recorded as to what exactly Abraham did give Melchizedek?

Mr. Jones: I believe it says plunder?

Judge: So plunder could be any number of things?

Mr. Jones: Yes, I suppose

Judge: It could have been food, cattle, sheep, the people's possessions or any number of things. It does not say it was all money correct?

Mr. Jones: Yes you are correct, it does not say just money

Judge: As a matter of fact money is never mentioned in that account at all is that correct Mr. Jones?

Mr. Jones: Yes your Honor, money is never mentioned just goods and food and people.

Judge: So there is no way you can say with any certainty that Abraham in fact gave Melchizedek any money at all?

Mr. Jones: That is right.

Judge: I only have one last question for you
Mr. Jones, did God command Abraham to give this plunder tithe to Melchizedek?

Mr. Jones: No, it appears that he did this voluntarily.

Judge: So are you trying to tell me that because of this voluntary, one time gift by Abraham, that may not have even consisted of money, all Christians everywhere are obligated to bring 10% of their weekly paycheck to a local Regd.Organization-church?
Considering all the evidence I would say you are beyond any shadow of a doubt guilty of deliberately trying to make the scriptures says things they have not said for financial gain.

Mr. Jones: Ok your Honor, I can see how foolish I was to try and use the story of Melchizedeck to try and get the people to tithe money. But there are many other verses that will support my belief on tithing. Jacob said he would give God 10% of everything. I think we should follow his example.

Judge: Let's see what Jacob said. Please read the verse you are talking about for me Mr. Jones.

Mr. Jones: In Genesis chapter 28 starting at verse 20 it says. Jacob vowed a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and clothing to put on, so that I come again to my father's house in peace, and Yahweh will be my God, then this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, will be God's house. Of all that you will give me I will surely give the tenth to you."

Judge: You said we should follow Jacobs example, is that right Mr. Jones?

Mr. Jones: Yes that is right, he vowed to give a tenth and we should too.

Judge: Let me point out one thing for you Mr. Jones, Jacob said he would Give God a tenth, ONLY if He blessed him first. So as you said previously, we should follow Jacob's example and tell God that we will only give him a tenth if he blesses us first. Is that right?

Mr. Jones: That is not what I meant.

Judge: What did you mean then?

Mr. Jones: That we should give God a tenth also.

Judge: There you go again, trying to make the scripture say what you want it to say for your benefit. I would also like you to tell me the scriptures that say that Jacob kept his vow with God. I would also like to know where he gave the tenth to because there was no temple or levites to give it to at that time.

Mr. Jones: I can not think of any scriptures that say where or if he ever tithed after his vow.

Judge: It seems fairly obvious to me that Jacob made a voluntary and conditional vow to God. This in no way can be used as a reason to demand others to bring their income to you or any other place.

Mr. Jones: I do have a few more scriptures that I believe will show that we are supposed to tithe.

Judge: You have not said anything yet to convince me one little bit that people are obligated to tithe money to the local organizational institutions -churches and that you were justified in what you were doing. You have taken scripture and misapplied it to your beliefs and for your gain. But in order to be fair to you I will allow you to present more evidence.

Mr. Jones: In the book of Malachi chapter 3 starting at verse 8 it says, will a man rob God? yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, In what have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the store-house, that there may be food in my house, and prove me now with this, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. So you see your Honor, we are commanded to bring the tithes into the storehouse or God will curse us.

Judge: Answer me this Mr Jones, Who was God Speaking to here?

Mr Jones: To the People of Israel

Judge: Can you please read Malachi 2: 1 Please Mr Jones

Mr Jones: Now This command is for you O PRIEST !!

Judge: Did God stop talking to the Priest in Chap. 3, Mr Jones?

Mr Jones: No your Honor!

Judge: Answer me this Mr. Jones, were you aware that God never required anyone to tithe money?

Mr. Jones: No I didn't know that.

Judge: The tithe spoken of here was always edible products never money.

Mr. Jones: Well your Honor that is because they didn't have money at the time so God had them tithe food instead.

Judge: Not true, money is first mentioned in Genesis and Malachi was written hundreds of years later. God had them bring food in so that the levites, the fatherless and widows may eat and be satisfied. The tithe was used mainly to take care of people. Also notice it says in the verse you quoted, that there may be food in my house. The food was the tithe. How do you completely overlook the word food in those verses?

Mr. Jones: I don't know

Judge: I also want you to know that these verses speak to nation under the Old Testament law. As you may or may not know Jesus fulfilled the law, it is no longer binding. Once again you have tried to completely take a scripture out of context and apply it to others for your benefit. Can you give me a single scripture where God changed the tithe from food to money?

Mr. Jones: I do not know of any.

Judge: So if God never changed it from food to money who did?

Mr. Jones: Man must have.

Judge: So far all you have done Mr. Jones, is take Old Testament scriptures out of context and try to apply it to believers under the New Covenant. Is this all the proof you have?

Mr. Jones: I do have a New Testament scripture that will show that Jesus told us to tithe.

Judge: Ok let me hear it.

Mr. Jones: Jesus said in Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint, dill, and cumin, and have left undone the weightier matters of the law: justice, mercy, and faith. But you ought to have done these, and not to have left the other undone. See Jesus said we should be tithing.

Judge: Let me ask you a question, who was Jesus talking to?

Mr. Jones: The scripture says the Scribes and Pharisees.

Judge: Are you a scribe or Pharisee?

Mr. Jones: Of course not.

Judge: Jesus also said in that passage, you have left undone the weightier matters of the law. Are we under the law Mr. Jones?

Mr. Jones: No.

Judge: Why not?

Mr. Jones: Because Jesus fulfilled it.

Judge: When did Jesus fulfill the law?

Mr. Jones: When He was crucified.

Judge: So the law was still in effect until Jesus death?

Mr. Jones: That is correct.

Judge: I think you know where I am going with this don't you?

Mr. Jones: Yes your Honor. Since Jesus had not yet been crucified and the law was still binding the Pharisees were required to tithe because it was part of the law. Once the law ended, tithing ended also.

Judge: I want you to take a look at that verse again. Also tell me, what were they tithing?

Mr. Jones: The scripture says it was mint, dill and cumin.

Judge: Is money mentioned?

Mr. Jones: No it was not.

Judge: Once again it was edible products that they were tithing, not money. Do you have anything else you would like to say?

Mr. Jones: If people only tithed edible products like the scripture says, then how would the church survive? We have our mortgage payment, utility bills, staff salary and a host of other things that we have to pay each week. We depend on the money from the people.

Judge: By "church" you mean your organization isn't it Mr Jones ?
-The need does not justify the means. In other words, just because you have all these debts does not give you the right to twist and manipulate scripture and cause people to give under fear of being cursed by God to meet your needs. Does It Mr Jones?
In closing, let me recap a few things for you Mr. Jones.
-The tithe was never money;
-The tithe was an Old Testament law, which is no longer binding. When it was binding the tithe was used to take care of people, not buildings.
- We are under a new covenant now.
Paul instructs the Corinthian believers how they are to give. He says in second Corinthians chapter 9 verse 7, Let each man give according as he has determined in his heart; not grudgingly, or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver. So each believer is supposed to give as he or she has determined in his or her heart.
If they determine to Give 10% well and good, If they keep aside some every week to meet this more better.If you are trying to make people give under the threat of being cursed or any other reason even blessing, you are wrong. Someone can not give cheerfully if they are being forced to give. If 'your church can not survive on freewill offerings maybe God is not part of your church at all.
Mr Jones, do you intentionally put your people under a Curse or a Bondage?

Mr Jones: Of Course not !!

Judge: Can you Read in context Gal 3:10-11: For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them ....
AND
Gal 5:1-4 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage....

Mr. Jones: I never realized all these things, I have always been taught that we had to tithe money to the local church and that is what I have always taught. I can see now that I was completely wrong. I did not study the scripture for myself, I only took mans word for it.
Yes ' am guilty. I will not teach this error anymore.
Sentencing....... All Arise .....

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by castro316: 1:44pm On Nov 12, 2017
lonelydora:

Oga I know u can interprete and comprehend. I didn't say read 14:24 for me I said you should read 14:22-29 interprete it and let's talk
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by aroti: 2:03pm On Nov 12, 2017
sarutobie:

Very smart albeit untrue answer, Christ himself said he came to complete the law and not to do away with it....Christ didn’t come for the sake of the Jews alone...I wonder where you got this interpretation from? NOT everyone farms,especially in this 21st century..so monetary donation is much more convenient..

Every time I read deutronomy 14 22 - 29; I laugh in Hebrew! It lands a devastating blow on what ever argument or defence any modern day tithe obsessed pastopreneur might attempt to establish. If you truly and honestly study this passage of the bible you should easily come to the following conclusions

1 that tithes are tangible, consumable agro produce.
2. That tithing are Done annually and every three years.
3. That the annual tithing is a God ordained act for tither to express a heartfelt gratitude, worship and thanks to God for the blessing of that year's fruit fullness through the consumption of the tithe ( Agro produce) with his household at a Place his Lord God Chooses to place his name.
4. That the Lord God being aware of the existence of Money (Silver) at that biblical time never instructed that money should be given as tithe.
5. That if God actually meant it for money to be used as tithe; he would not have instructed that it be used to purchase tangible, consumable, Agro or drinks or anything that the tither's heart lust or desire after; even fermented drink.

6 That even after the Lord God recognised that in instance in which tithe of increase being agric produce could be too heavy for the tither to carry to the place he chooses for his name; and he the tither was told to change it into money, the same Lord God instructed that the same money be used to buy whatsoever the tither's heart desire; a tangible, consumable Agro produce; because seriously if one thinks about it; can anyone literally chew or drink money ? Certainly not ; thus as far as our Lord God Is concerned consumption of a tenth (tithe) of the tither's annual increase is to be eating ( chewed an swallowed) in the spirit of thanks and expressed gratitude towards our Lord God for the fruitfulness of the last 1 year.

In summary; the annual tithe is agric produce practically chewed, swallowed and washed down with drinks ( even fermented ones) by the tither and his household in expression of thanks to the Lord God at his place of chosen.

The 2nd category of tithe according to this wonderful passage of the scripture are tithe given every 3rd year ( not annually please). You will also conclude thereof;

1. That the 3 yearly tithe is for 4 categories of people and not exclusive to any one category namely: a, Levites. b, Widows, c, Strangers and
d, Fatherless (Orphans)
2, That the 3 yearly tithe are also tangible consumable Agric produce to be set at the tither's gate for these categories of people to take and eat.

By inference, a tither can on occasion of every 3 years take 1/10 of his increase that year and share it among these 4 categories of people.

In summary tithes that goes to the Levites are 3 yearly tithes which are not exclusive to them but Inclusive of the fatherless, Widows and Strangers.

Would given one's tithe ( 3 yearly) to Strangers or a widow or an orphan scriptural ? Ans is absolutely Yes and in line with this passage.

Thus if we even assume or accepts that the modern day pastors are Levites, they are only entitled ( not in whole but in part) to tithes given at the end of every 3 years.

The Levites ( if our modern day pastor are still feeling levitical) are mandated to also give 1/10 of these 3 yrly tithes they received to the house of God ; which gets me thinking seriously about who actually is robbing according to their ever handy and easily quoted Malachi 3 ?

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by petra1(m): 2:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
BIDHOP OYEDEPO IN THE VIDEO DUDNT TALK ABOUT TITHE
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by tunary(m): 2:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
StPete:
Bad market for all these fake ass jet-buying pastors.

Did Jesus whom you claim to serve collect tithe? NO
Did he accumulate stupendous wealth or even acquire a single horse, donkey or chariot at the time he was on earth? NO
Did he encourage people to have stupendous wealth and acquire things for themselves here on earth? NO

Jesus told the rich righteous man who had done everything needed to be done. He said, "sell your properties and give the money to the poor"

Why should one Pastor, in a third world country, with high prevailing rate of poverty own fleet of cars, estates, schools and a whole lot of other investments when more than 3/4 of his members are dying of abject poverty?
I stand with you on this. 100% in support
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by obatoro: 2:11pm On Nov 12, 2017
sarutobie:

My dear one, you are quoting the scriptures out of context. Jesus said heaven and earth shall pass away but none of his prophecy concerning his second coming would go unfulfilled. Please read Matt 24.33-35, Mark 13.29-31. Luke 21.31-33. Tithing was a law and not a prophecy.
Ananias and Saphira llied about the amount realized from the proceeds of the sales of their land., that's not tithing. You seem to be mixing up tithing with giving here.
I agree with you on 1 Cor 9.13 and 1 Tim 5.18 that those who work by the altar lives by the altar, but that is still not tithing. They are not Levite's they are encouraged to do secular job if the ministry can't sustain them. Hear what Paul said to Ephesian pastors; in Acts 20.33-35 "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have showed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive." And in Acts18.3 we read that Paul had a secular job he was a tent maker. That makes the difference btw the Levite's and the pastors. Christian tithing is not scriptural, I hope that has answered your question?

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 12, 2017
Afam4eva:

You just spoiled the whole thing by putting D'Banj there because right now, he's a legendary upcoming artiste.
upcoming but he owns his business.... freeze is an employee with cool Fm. i ll rather follow the instructions of people on the right quadrant than the left.
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by tojahh(m): 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2017
These pastors are pathetic. All of them

1 Like

Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Leonbonapart(m): 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2017
Afam4eva:

You just spoiled the whole thing by putting D'Banj there because right now, he's a legendary upcoming artiste.
and no one even know your name, save your parents... Hediot
Re: Bishop David Oyedepo Speaks On Tithing (Video) by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:40pm On Nov 12, 2017
lonelydora:

Do you even know how many churches Dangote donates to? Do you know how many charity organisations these people you mention run? Why do you think God's blessings is only about money? Do you know how many accidents, robbery, sickness, God prevented from coming to you? You have good health, shelter, 3 square meal,etc. These are blessings.

What does all that have to do with tithe? There is virtually no breathing human on earth who doesn't engage in charity. Even criminals, gangsters, drug dealers, mob bosses etc are often men of the people who are charitable. Corrupt politicians who embezzle money are charitable. In Western countries, several studies have shown that even atheists are frequently more charitable than religious people. The point was to stop peddling the notion that yours or other people's success has anything to do with your tithing. Show me all those successful tithers of yours and I would show you people hundreds to thousands of times more successful, richer, more innovative than them who don't commit 10% of their earnings to jet-riding pastors.

How can you reconcile the fact that not even adherents of Judaism today (the foundation of your Christian belief) pay tithes because there is no existing Levitical order to give the tithe to (even though they still have their rabbis etc), but thousands of miles in another part of the world, con men have appropriated the same ancient Jewish custom that has no relevance to Christianity and twisted it just so they can fleece their flock?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Converts Masquerader To Christianity, Makes Him Remove His Costume / Andrew Ejimadu Arrested In Zambia For Sleeping With A Minor. Photos / If You Grew Up In A Christian Home And Never Had This Book... We No Be Mate!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.