Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' (584 Views)

Effective Use Of Microsoft Excel As A Data Analysis Tool / Effective Use Of Microsoft Excel As A Data Analysis Tool / Effective Use Of Microsoft Excel As A Data Analysis Tool (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by mistalexzy: 1:14pm On Nov 12, 2017
I find it irritating when I see how alleged graduates find it difficult to effectively use has, have, had in sentences. Has, have, had give many people a lot of headache. Proper handling of the words puts the user's knowledge of tenses to test.
   Has, have and had can perform the function of a main verb. When they do so, had is simply the past tense of has or have:
 He has a book. ( HE still has it.)
 He had a book. ( He does not have it again.)
 You have two cars. ( You still have them.)
 You had two cars. ( You don't have them again.)
Therefore, whenever you want to express the present tense in the above context, freely use has or have. But when you want to use past tense, use had.
 Another major difference between them manifest when they are being used as auxiliary verbs in participle form.‎
Re: Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by okomile(f): 1:16pm On Nov 12, 2017
Going back to English class. Let me come and be going
Re: Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by daomi(m): 1:18pm On Nov 12, 2017
K
Re: Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 12, 2017
Who good English EPP?
Re: Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by onlinetomola(m): 3:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
I am listening to UPDATE by Olamide right now....
Re: Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by Biodun37: 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2017
wink Good. Also observe ppl having problem with do, does & did.
Re: Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2017
Educative!
Re: Effective Use Of 'has/have Or Had' by mistalexzy: 6:58am On Nov 13, 2017
Biodun37:
wink Good. Also observe ppl having problem with do, does & did.
I noticed as well, will probably do a write up on that as well.

(1) (Reply)

Npower Shortlists Candidates for Pre-selection 2017 – See How To Check List / Alexander College, Canada And Near East Cyprus Scholarship Admission / Pls Recommend Good And Affordable Primary Schools In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.