Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,760 members, 7,813,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage (840 Views)

Say yes to better sleep with Semi Orthopaedic Mattresses / Say yes to better sleep with semi orthopaedic mattresses / Shalom Shoremi: Lesbian Disowned By Family On Newspaper For Same Sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Celcius: 7:32am On Nov 15, 2017
Celebrations broke out across Australia after a two-month national postal survey came out "overwhelmingly" in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage.

Results released Wednesday by the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealed 61% of the population voted to allow same-sex marriage, with 38% voting against.

Rainbow-colored smoke, confetti and cheers erupted in the center of Melbourne following the announcement, where hundreds of people had gathered to hear the result.
When couple Jane Mahoney, 28, and Josie Lennie, 26, heard the result they collapsed into each others' arms in tears. "(Now) we need to save and also gets lots of fun ideas from the other gay weddings," they told CNN.

More than 12.7 million people across the country, or 79.5% of the population, took part in the survey with every state and territory returning a majority "yes."

Celebrations, singing and tears greeted the announcement in Melbourne.
It's the beginning of the end of a long-running campaign to allow marriage equality in Australia, something already legal in the majority of English-speaking countries worldwide.

Speaking after the result, Australia Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said it had been an "overwhelming" response in favor of "yes" and called for same-sex marriage to be legalized before Christmas.
"They voted 'yes' for fairness, they voted 'yes' for commitment, they voted 'yes' for love. And now it is up to us here in the Parliament of Australia to get on with it," he told reporters in Canberra.

Opposition Labor Party leader Bill Shorten told the Melbourne rally the postal vote itself should never have happened.
� THANK YOU �
This all happened because of you.
We did this together. pic.twitter.com/4vWuIj9bpB

"I feel for young people who had their relationships questioned in a way I wouldn't have thought we would see ever again, but nevertheless what this marriage equality survey shows is that unconditional love always has the last word," he said.
Politicians are expected to begin discussing the specifics of the same-sex marriage bill as early as this week.
However, even ahead of the release of the results, conservative politicians inside the Australian parliament were preparing for a fight over how marriage equality would be legalized.

Prominent supporters of same-sex marriage celebrated the decision. Qantas CEO Alan Joyce danced on stage in Sydney with author and actor Magda Szubanski, and urged Turnbull to "get on with it."

Australian Olympic champion Ian Thorpe warned conservative politicians against delaying the legislation.

"(The result) spells it out loud and clear ... If they play around with this issue any longer, it will be at their peril," he told reporters Wednesday morning.

The moment they waited so long for: jubilant crowds celebrate the yes vote in Melbourne @CNN #ssm pic.twitter.com/Vb6Er5IH80

— Lucie Morris-Marr (@luciemorrismarr) November 15, 2017
'We didn't want the vote'

Australia's LGBT community was strongly against the idea of a national vote on same-sex marriage from the first time it was announced, fearing a bitter, divisive campaign.

A group of same-sex marriage advocates even took the government to Australia's High Court in an attempt to stave off the survey. Their case was dismissed in an unanimous decision.
The two-month campaign was marred by harsh rhetoric and wild allegations of the consequences of a "yes" vote. Rainbow flags were sprayed with Nazi symbols in Brisbane while "no" advertisements claimed same-sex marriage would lead to "radical gay sex" education in schools.

Speaking after the "yes" result on Wednesday, Jacob Coleman, 28, and his husband Damien O'Mara, 29, said they still believed the survey was "wrong."
"We didn't want the vote in the first place but we are so happy to have this win for our friends and the whole community," Coleman told CNN.

"The vote has helped to speed up the process but the true lesson here is that the process is wrong." Coleman and O'Mara were married in Scotland two years ago.
Australians long in favor of marriage equality
Australians have long been in favor of marriage equality, but multiple governments have maintained they wanted to keep the traditional definition in law.

In 2015, under pressure from moderates in his Liberal party to take action, then-Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced there would be a national vote, or plebiscite, to decide whether marriage equality should be legislated.

He was unable to get funding to hold the plebiscite after legislation was blocked twice in the Australian senate. Abbott's successor, Turnbull, announced in August a national postal vote would be held.

The people of Australia have spoken and I intend to make their wish the law of the land by Christmas. This is an overwhelming call for marriage equality. pic.twitter.com/PWZbH5H71r

— Malcolm Turnbull (@TurnbullMalcolm) November 14, 2017
It was one way to get around the funding issue, as the survey was run by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, removing the need for parliamentary approval.
Voting opened on September 12 and Australians who had registered to vote had until November 7 to return their surveys.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/14/asia/australia-same-sex-marriage-yes/index.html

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 15, 2017
Following the way of Obama.... Their choice, their lives!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by xreal: 7:43am On Nov 15, 2017
End time people.
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Daeylar(f): 7:46am On Nov 15, 2017
I wonder when Nigeria will vote yes. One day smiley grin

Nobody (especially homophobes) should quote me

1 Like

Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by calliope(f): 7:53am On Nov 15, 2017
That's right there is the look of joy, it's so beautiful to know that the fight for legalization is over in australia. 2017 may be brutal for homosexuals in Africa, but elsewhere it has been beautiful. smiley

1 Like

Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 15, 2017
Daeylar:

The ridiculousness cheesy when the whole world moves on, and changes all the rules of the major religions, with Africa esp one big entity in WA left clutching the holy books, defending their "faith" against a world that has gone "astray"

If it would not be very silly, it would be the stuff of legendary comedy
The day is drawing close...if after 55 or so years after I am gone I would trade a heavenly favorto time travel back to earth to see! cheesy

@post, although I do not judge people and find the sexuality of people to be totally their business ...I like the stress African governments are giving the free whites, what were they trryyingg coming to Africa to save lipsrsealed us with their religion? Now look, we have embodied everything
And now wanna kill homosexuals in defense of "our faith"
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 15, 2017
Daeylar:

I just did. grin
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Daeylar(f): 10:28am On Nov 15, 2017
ZandhaZaraZ:
I just did. grin

You are allowed kiss

grin grin, i had to put that before the homophobes eat me alive grin

Nobody should quote me angry
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 15, 2017
Daeylar:

You are allowed kiss

grin grin, i had to put that before the homophobes eat me alive grin

Nobody should quote me angry
Hahaha. Eat you alive? Their teeth will fall off before they can even bite you. grin

Good morning. How was your night? smiley
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Darkhors3(m): 10:35am On Nov 15, 2017
ewww so irritating , the world is becoming f*cked up everyday, one-day Incest will be legalised .
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Daeylar(f): 10:42am On Nov 15, 2017
ZandhaZaraZ:
Hahaha. Eat you alive? Their teeth will fall off before they can even bite you. grin

kiss kiss kiss kiss

Good morning. How was your night? smiley
Good morning, my night was good and yours?
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 15, 2017
Daeylar:

kiss kiss kiss kiss

Good morning, my night was good and yours?
It was splendid. smiley
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by CAPSLOCKED: 11:44am On Nov 15, 2017
WE NEED TO SEE THIS IN NIGERIA UP NEXT.. OR AT LEAST SOME AFRICAN COUNTRIY.
Re: Australia Votes 'yes' To Same-sex Marriage by sanpipita(m): 1:34pm On Nov 16, 2017
Darkhors3:
ewww so irritating , the world is becoming f*cked up everyday, one-day Incest will be legalised .

Incest is already legal in some nations, and don't some homophobes say its better than homosexuality? world is shifting more to liberalism

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mum Whose Heart Stopped During Labour Wakes Up Thinking She's 13-years-old / ''nairalanders Please Help Me In This Case'' / Is It Good For A Married Woman To Close From Work By 11pm At Night Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.