Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? (2494 Views)

Sylvia Nduaguba Chinwedu, IMSU Best Graduating Mechanical Engineering Student / 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media / How To Secure UNILAG MSc MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by Semtu(m): 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2017
I'm a 300L student from the department of mechatronics engineering, FUNAAB.... In this my short but well written post, I'll be giving few reasons on why I feel mechanical engineering is no longer relevant in modern life.
Well, the main reason engineering exists is to solve the problems of mankind. Frankly speaking, I don't think mechanical engineering does that! Mechanical engineering only reduces the problems of mankind. Any mechanical device requires physical energy from man before it can function.... A vacuum cleaner is a typical example of a mechanical device, without a person controlling it, the device is useless.... In other words, mechanical engineering doesn't solve the problem of mankind but only reduces it which isn't good enough!!
Now this brings me to my course of study, Mechatronics Engineering!! The world is gradually becoming more of electronics than mechanical. Everything is gradually getting automated, thus not requiring physical work before it can function. And only Mechatronics engineers can cope in this new upgraded environment.... Few years from now, mechanical engineering will become obsolete...
I ask that my fellow scholars should attempt to disprove this post if you feel am wrong as we are all learning

cc : Lalasticlala
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by izzou(m): 4:46pm On Nov 17, 2017
You seem to have lost the understanding of the course

How can you say Mechanical engineering will become obsolete in few years? angry

And you dey 300l?

8 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by Oledia(m): 4:52pm On Nov 17, 2017
Semtu:
I'm a 300L student from the department of mechatronics engineering, FUNAAB.... In this my short but well written post, I'll be giving few reasons on why I feel mechanical engineering is no longer relevant in modern life.
Well, the main reason engineering exists is to solve the problems of mankind. Frankly speaking, I don't think mechanical engineering does that! Mechanical engineering only reduces the problems of mankind. Any mechanical device requires physical energy from man before it can function.... A vacuum cleaner is a typical example of a mechanical device, without a person controlling it, the device is useless.... In other words, mechanical engineering doesn't solve the problem of mankind but only reduces it which isn't good enough!!
Now this brings me to my course of study, Mechatronics Engineering!! The world is gradually becoming more of electronics than mechanical. Everything is gradually getting automated, thus not requiring physical work before it can function. And only Mechatronics engineers can cope in this new upgraded environment.... Few years from now, mechanical engineering will become obsolete...
I ask that my fellow scholars should attempt to disprove this post if you feel am wrong as we are all learning

Don't worry, you will soon outgrow the level of celebrating your course of study.

8 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by Semtu(m): 5:06pm On Nov 17, 2017
izzou:
You seem to have lost the understanding of the course

How can you say Mechanical engineering will become obsolete in few years? angry

And you dey 300l?

It's because we are in Nigeria that you don't know how far technology has gotten in other countries.
Technologically advanced countries like China and America are already past the mechanical era, almost everything they make use of are automated !!!... As Nigeria also advances, mechanical devices will become obsolete in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by AnodaIT(m): 5:07pm On Nov 17, 2017
Automation is about who controls the operation.
The design of equipment is mainly mechanical

8 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by izzou(m): 5:11pm On Nov 17, 2017
Semtu:

It's because we are in Nigeria that you don't know how far technology has gotten in other countries.
Technologically advanced countries like China and America are already past the mechanical era, almost everything they make use of are automated !!!... As Nigeria also advances, mechanical devices will become obsolete in this country.

So,electronics are the only components that can be found in self driven cars?

So,its only electronics that can be found in new aircraft models that we have today?

Construction equipments, industrial machines and the rest only comprise of electronics abi?

Like I said, you've lost the understanding of the course

Mechanical engineering will receive modifications in the future. But it can never be obsolete

2 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by Frezhkid10(m): 5:12pm On Nov 17, 2017
...Mechanical engineering can never be obsolete.all products been produced always contain an element of mechanical idea. from airplanes to ship building...is there any machine that u can produce without making use of welding process or without making use of metals...mechanical engineering is the father of engineering,apart from electrical and civil engineering all other forms of engineering evolved from mechanical engineering.....

3 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 17, 2017
This guy is ignorant
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by lastmessenger: 6:58pm On Nov 17, 2017
Mechanical engineering is far beyond what you know. From internal combustion engine to electric power production to metal fabrication and industrial manufacturing and even your mechatronics are areas well covered by mechanical engineering.
Mechanical engineering can never become obsolete rather it will continue to evolve.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by conscienceman4(m): 8:09pm On Nov 17, 2017
Go and buy JAMB form and re-seek for admission my friend. You don't know a thing about mechanical engineering.

1 Like

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 17, 2017
sad The Op just degraded my love for Funaab with this post. Haba! Mechanical engineering which has always been my dream course, but couldn't get in, na im you con spoil like this.

Mehn!!!! Op please, Mech engine is more than what you percept. Try to widen your horizon.

Mech engine! I envy their students like mad! The ginger alone ehhnn.

Lemmie just stop here. My morale is becoming heightened already.

7 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by UfuomaUN(m): 11:19pm On Nov 17, 2017
clearly you don't know anything about MEE. Go and write jamb and apply for computer science.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by auxioneer(m): 12:44am On Nov 18, 2017
From the example you gave its obvious you are not exposed(industry-wise). You still aren't seeing the bigger picture of mechanical at 300 level then maybe you should switch courses. Do more research.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by MichaelSokoto(m): 5:19am On Nov 18, 2017
Semtu:

pls gimme d run down of fees u pay for mechatronic engineering, cos I would luv to study dat course in d nearest future
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by TheManOfTheYear: 9:06am On Nov 18, 2017
Semtu:

Wrong assertions.
Every technological device has both Electrical and Mechanical components. Without either components, the device can't function.
They go pari-pasu .

So it's stupid to say Mechanical engineering is gradually becoming obsolete cuz as long as there are machines and devices.. it will still be very much around
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by wiilly02(m): 9:43am On Nov 18, 2017
Dear friend, mechanical engineering is way beyond what u think it is
Very broad and interesting, and this is coming from an elect engineer...Most of the automated heavy machines u see all have mechanical actions as output...and this can b achieved by mechanical components....just think about it
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by Semtu(m): 10:48am On Nov 18, 2017
I understand all what you guys are saying that all machines have mechanical components. All mechanical devices still has to be automated in a technologically advanced country which mechanical engineers know nothing of. In other words, mechanical engineers can't work alone. Wouldn't it be wiser to scrap mechanical engineering and ensure mechatronics engineering is taught in most schools??. Think about it, mechatronics engineers are able to build the mechanical devices and also automate it. Employing a mechatronics Engineer would minimize expenses since you don't have to employ two or three different engineers to work on a machine.
So I still think mechanical engineering should be scrapped and mechatronics engineering should be introduced to most schools.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by oluwajuwonfj: 10:51am On Nov 18, 2017
who you epp,
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by binary007: 12:19pm On Nov 18, 2017
brother your ignorance is baffling yet forgivable... Mechatronics is not a replacement for mechanical engineering.. infact , mechatronics only makes mechanical engineering easier. heavy duty machine uses relay before, now they use PLC. Mechatronics could only program switching sequence but designing and production of crankshafts, firing order of ignition system still remains mechanical engineering. pls don't mislead those Young chaps at home on engineering. you still have about 2yrs before graduation.i would advice you learn without bias to maximize your knowledge. industrial experience would also help a lot.

I'm a Mechanical engineer with option in Mechatronics.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by lereinter(m): 1:05pm On Nov 18, 2017
thats what studying in nigeria does especially when u compare with what u see on internet
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by aerozac(m): 2:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mechanical Engineering can never be obsolete. Also point to note Mechatronics can not replace Mechanical Engineering but an addendum. The principles of design is purely Mechanical which come before Automation. My first degree was Mechanical Engineering and now running my MSC in Mechatronics Engineering. I can clearly distinguish between the two with their function
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by somito121(m): 3:17pm On Nov 18, 2017
The op is just wasting his precious time. You just disgraced your school FUUNAB.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by guiddoti: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2017
Semtu:

Did you understand what your teachers have been teaching at all? Fundamental of technology lies in physical theory, in which, mechanical plays a vital role. From solid mechanics, structural vibration and acoustics to fluid behaviour, mechanical leads the way. Do you want to build robotic without analysing the structural mechanism? Or you want the robot operate as artificial intelligence, as you interact fluid-structure and electronic combined.
I shake my head for you.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by fatymore(f): 8:01pm On Nov 18, 2017
Do you remember that feeling you had when you gain admission and you hated the course given but as time goes on, you began to love your course and your lecturer told you your course is superior over all courses in your faculty...

Thats the feeling op is having... grin

5 Likes

Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by ignis: 8:29pm On Nov 18, 2017
Op, I can pardon a art or commercial student if he type this trash but definitely not a science inclined undergraduate.
Re: Is MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Gradually Becoming Obsolete?? by DrKKK1(m): 9:26pm On Nov 18, 2017
Before initiating discussion with you,
What's your CGPA at 300level?

(1) (Reply)

Video: Female Students, Male Lecturer Caught In The Acts / Pls Help O , Will MIT Consider Me With This O'level Grades Of Mine ? . / Photo: Can You Read This In First Attempt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.