Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,879 members, 7,828,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) (788 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Wins Grand Women’s Prize For Half Of A Yellow Sun (Photo) / TOLANI - A STORY (Love. Mystery. Suspense.) / A Dread In The Spine ( A Mystery Novel By Akintayo Akinjide) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) by noble4d(m): 9:03pm On Nov 18, 2017
written by Inuwa,Usman

note: this is the first part of the Novel " Gidan-kowa"

In the quest to protect and save his grandson from the killer of his parent,Mallam Balarabe encountered umpteen obstacles, will he prevail?

Re: There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) by noble4d(m): 9:10pm On Nov 18, 2017
CHAPTER ONE

"Marriage is like a groundnut; you have to crack it to see what is inside.”

It was a beautiful morning in gidan-kowa, the land of the people, the land of deceit, the land surrounded with rich plants and healthy

animals. The household of Alhaji Basir was snared with enmity and malice. Alhaji Basir was one of the wealthiest and respected business

magnates in gidan-kowa, he was known with his largesse both in and off Ramadan period.

On the 2nd of June 1995, Alhaji Basir married his 4th wife “Nafisa”. Nafisa was the only daughter of one of the respected entity in gidan-

kowa “mallam Balarabe”. Nafisa was known with her sincere attitude, simplicity, humility, and a hardworking woman. She won her

husband’s heart with her integrity and loyalty she possessed. “You are an angel sent to me from Allah” that was what her husband

always mentioned when they are together. However, the other wives were so sad and desperate because Nafisa had won the heart of

their husband.

On the 25th April 1996, Nafisa gave birth to a baby boy who would become an heir to his father’s properties. The other wives were

unhappy because none of them had a male child. Meanwhile, on the naming ceremony, high notable, rich and famous entities were

present along with the mai-angwa (head of the community). Vividly, the sheik performed the necessary prayer, and the infant was named

“Al-Warith” meaning “The heir”. They were excess of food to eat, sufficient drinks to drink, and reasonable numbers of people of the

community were present to witness the memorable day.

On the 14th Nov 1996, a storm stroke in the household of Alhaji Basir. During that night, Alhaji Basir and Nafisa were asleep when an

unknown entity entered their room. It was dark, so dark. Nafisa heard footsteps and suddenly woke up from her sleep; she was so scared

and devastated that she quickly woke her husband. “Who are you?” Nafisa asked shivering. “What do want from us? I have money, you

can take all, please don’t kill us” Alhaji Basir pleaded. The mask man moved closer, sat on the bed and drew Alhaji Basir closer, he said “I

want your son, give me your son.” At that moment, Nafisa and her husband were uncomfortable; Nafisa quickly looked beside her but

couldn’t find her baby, she clamored, and cried a lot “where is my baby?” Alhaji Basir couldn’t hold back his tears, he then pleaded with

the mask man to return their baby if he took him. “Are you stupid? Bring your baby or I will kill both of you” the mask man threatened, he

pulled out a gun and drew Alhaji Basir more closer, Nafisa hurriedly kneeled before the mask man and pleaded with him to leave her

husband. The unknown man rebutted and pulled the trigger. Alhaji Basir and Nafisa were both shot with one bullet each straight to their

loving heart.

The death of the couples extended rapidly within and outside the community. Everyone was shocked about the news. “It’s pathetic”one

of the wakilai (elders) exclaimed. Ali, the younger brother to Alhaji Basir, an England based engineer arrived as soon as he heard the news

of his brother’s death. The burial ceremony was done islamically, and almost all the men in the community were present to witness the

burial of a magnate and his wife.

Some weeks after their burial, the wakilai (elders) gathered before the mai-angwa (head of the community) to discuss the sudden and

bizarre death of Alhaji Basir and his wife. They summoned the household of Alhaji Basir, The Wakilai asked questions but none of them

was able to give traceable response. Meanwhile, throughout that period, Al-warith had been with Mallam Balarabe, his grandfather took

care of him together with his maid who left after Al-warith celebrated his 2yrs birthday. Mallam Balarabe didn’t disclose Al-Warith ware

about except to the elders.

Al-warith grew older and stronger. He emulated the attributes of his late mother, but had his father’s eyes. Moreover, Al-warith, grew

bigger and was in jss2, he was an intelligent boy, well-loved by his teachers. On one Monday morning at school, the students were elated

when they saw their English teacher in class. Al-warith was totally at bliss because that was his best subject, until the teacher told them

to write an essay about their parent. Al-Warith knew nothing about his parent, all he grasped was that they were late. He was in tears;

his fingers were as strong as iron steel. Sadly, he went home depressed and didn’t talk to his grandfather.

Mallam Balarabe felt disturbed about Al-warith, he had never seen him that way before, and curiously he asked “what is the problem the

apple of my eye?” Al-warith uttered no word. His grandfather who looked so innocent like a dove pleaded, he wiped away the tears that

was dropping like a tap water “please talk to me son” he pleaded again. Al-warith sat on a stool and responded, he spoke in anger that

tears showed its true identity through his eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me about my parent, why? I want to know”. He kneeled before his

grandfather and beseeched. Mallam Balarabe was emotionally weak; he wiped the tears from his grandson’s face and deferred the story

till night. “Night when everywhere is silent, night when the breeze will bring to you preceding memory” he stated dramatically.
Re: There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) by noble4d(m): 12:13pm On Nov 19, 2017
CHAPTER TWO

“If you are filled with pride, then you will have no room for wisdom.”

About 9pm, and everyone was already asleep, the trees rested, the birds were exhausted, the moon brightened everywhere, the breeze

blew, and spread coolness to the whole place. Mallam Balarabe was seated on a long bench with Al-warith, they were at the compound

that was as big as a football stadium.

“28yrs ago,” mallam Balarabe began. “Your mother saw the first light of the world, I was very happy for having a child; I danced, rocked

like a reggae artist. I thanked Almighty Allah for given me the precious gift. Unfortunately, an hour later, your grandmother gave up a

ghost, my joy turned to sorrow, I lost the woman of my life, but I had no choice, only Allah knows best. It took me months to get over

her death. I was optimistic because I had my daughter.

I worked so hard just to satisfy my daughter. Sometimes I carried her at my back to work. People do laugh at me, but I didn’t care.

‘hmm’, I could remember the day I lost my job, at that time, your mother was very sick, she was 5yrs old then, she suffered from a heart

disease. I cried a lot, I howled and tangled, it was a very sad period. Tirelessly, I ranged from household to household and office

appliances to seek for help, but no one helped, I was so helpless, I didn’t even know what to do next. I went to the hospital to check on

my daughter but her condition got worst. The doctor told me to bring the sum of 2.5 million naira in 72 hours time if I still cherished my

daughter’s live. This prompted me to go out there to hustle, People who said ‘loneliness is a disease’ were right. I was so lonely and

helpless, anxiety was all over me. I went from place to place, I helped people to carry their luggage and doing other jobs, I worked day

and night.

It was just a day left, and all the money with me was not up to the quarter of the money needed. I was in tears; I rushed out to see if I

would get some help. ‘hmmm’ as I ran from street to street, a beautiful woman called for my assistance and I assisted her with her

luggage. We got to her house, and she told me to wait outside; she went in and never came out. I was carried away by the beauty of

the house. I checked the time in my old wrist watch, it was then I realized that I had spent 30 minutes outside. I was so worried; I

dropped the luggage and went through the gate. It amazed me that as big as the house was, no one answered my knock. I rushed

outside to check on the luggage, I was confused. Suspiciously, something in me whispered, and pushed me to open the luggage which I

did. As I opened the first luggage, I saw pieces of papers, I opened the second luggage, I saw wears and a letter, but when I opened the

last luggage, I couldn’t believe what I saw, I saw huge amount of money that I had never seen all my life. Moreover, I decided to open

the letter if I would find some vital information. The content of the letter said:
Re: There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) by noble4d(m): 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2017
Re: There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) by rayvelez(m): 4:54pm On Nov 22, 2017
Pls continue.
Re: There Is Nothing New Under The Sun ( Mystery) by noble4d(m): 10:31pm On Dec 04, 2017
rayvelez:
Pls continue.
Alright, I thought no one is following.

(1) (Reply)

Shady - Life Of An Orphan / I Am A Proofreader, Reviewer And Editor / Wole Soyinka And Daughter In 1963

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.