Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,507 members, 7,826,920 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories (18613 Views)

Pics/video Police Officers And 2 Wealthy Men Beat Up Poor Nigerian Taxi Driver / Taxi Drivers Protest In Akure Over Fuel Scarcity / When Did Buhari Suddenly Become Electable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by naijamini(m): 5:12am On Mar 24, 2010
I have recently heard from at least two people who told of riding with a Nigerian-driven taxi in the US.

In one case, the taxi driver started telling them how he owns 3 houses in the US and farms in Nigeria. He also gets to travel back and forth every now and then. The second story was similar.

Have Nigerian taxi drivers suddenly gotten rich or are they telling fantastic stories? Or are these people merely fabricating stories about Nigerian taxi drivers? What do you think?
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Becomrich17: 5:17am On Mar 24, 2010
are you driving taxi naija mini. how many of them do they kill in the USA. What is life, if you have none. I return back to naija. No country can use any law to hold me down. I leave that  country and go where they treat me better.

Look after living abroad. I have learn to live. What african take from their leaders, I cant, the way they said imo state government treated one person online. To God who made me. Noman born of a man can do that to me. Not even a government. Even in Nigeria, I have friend in the army , if that happen to me, that would overthrow the government onmy behalf. You dont know anything. It shows Chief Bode George does not have friends.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by MandingoII(m): 5:27am On Mar 24, 2010
Nigerian taxi drivers tell me all the time that they were Doctors at home and one even told me he got his Masters Degree here in the states yet, he'd rather drive a cab shocked

yeah right, because Taxi Drives get TREATED LIKES STRAIGHT UP DOG sH.IT HERE IN THE STATES, everybody hates them because they can't drive and they do not know the layout of the town, and they will CHEAT you out of your money if they can.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Becomrich17: 5:29am On Mar 24, 2010
They put a gun to thier head. You can start a business. No every business involve money. Just thing about ideas. There is no money in taxi,my friend. Nigerian who do it. Said so.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by MandingoII(m): 5:30am On Mar 24, 2010
are you driving taxi naija mini. how many of them do they kill in the USA. What is life, if you have none. I return back to naija. No country can use any law to hold me down. I aboundant that country and go where they treat me better.

Look after living abroad. I have learn to live. What african take from their leaders, I cant, the way they said imo state government treated one person oneline. To God who made me. Noman born of a man can do that to me. Not even a government. Even in Nigeria, I have friend i the army , if that happen to me, that would overthrow the government onmy behalf. You dont know anything. It shows Chief Bode George does not have friends.

Damn!

you cannot write worth sh.Lt.

1 Like

Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by paddylo1(m): 5:31am On Mar 24, 2010
Nigerian taxi drivers tell me all the time that they were Doctors at home and one even told me he got his Masters Degree here in the states

And u just sit there and listen to them?
i find that hard to believe, since u hate Nigerians so much
u should pull out your gat and pistol whip them
then run-off without paying your fare. . .
that will teach them to lie to u. . . .

unless perhaps u are lying as usual,
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by naijamini(m): 5:32am On Mar 24, 2010
No, not driving taxi. Just wondering if such boasters are giving people the wrong impression that life is fantastic in naija.
Becomrich/:

are you driving taxi naija mini. how many of them do they kill in the USA. What is life, if you have none. I return back to naija. No country can use any law to hold me down. I aboundant that  country and go where they treat me better.

Look after living abroad. I have learn to live. What african take from their leaders, I cant, the way they said imo state government treated one person online. To God who made me. Noman born of a man can do that to me. Not even a government. Even in Nigeria, I have friend in the army , if that happen to me, that would overthrow the government onmy behalf. You dont know anything. It shows Chief Bode George does not have friends.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Becomrich17: 5:32am On Mar 24, 2010
Yes alot of nigerian taxi driver have PHD over here from thier universities.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Becomrich17: 5:36am On Mar 24, 2010
One nigerian that I know is the son of a very very important nigerian, he even have 2 master degree and went for his phd. He now drive taxi with it.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Becomrich17: 5:51am On Mar 24, 2010
Look you, I am different men. Dont think I am Akingbola or Ibru, if I own a bank in Nigeria, no government can take it from me. I would pay people to overthrow that government and that party from power. I am a correct capitalist that have lived here for a long time. And know how capitalism works. You dont know anything. I am pure capitalist.

You can see how I stand up for the Yoruba people. And I tell you this , The PDP would not return back to power if injustice to the yorubas is not corrected, We would do everything humanly possible to make that happen. This is what capitalism is about.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by 9ijaprince(m): 5:56am On Mar 24, 2010
Becomerich: your comment is shallow. Just because you have a friend in the army you think you can plan a coup. You are locking man!
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Becomrich17: 6:01am On Mar 24, 2010
If a government take anything that is mine. I would fight back. No government takes what belong to me. Dont think I am Akingbola or Ibru. I would clear all of them away. They do not have two head.

Not a friend, but friends. NO if the PDP is against the Yoruba people. Do you expect us to support them or let them remain in govt. If people dont want justice for you, why want justice for them. What is good for peter is good for  paul.

watch america crime documentary. I forgot the names of the documentary. When a thief goes into an  america shop. What you see this american do is fight back. They sometime over power the thief. This is America for you. And after living here for a way, I have learn to fight back.

I think like the white man now. A mind set of a capitalist.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by IBLIVE: 6:05am On Mar 24, 2010
I think like the white man now. A mind set of a capitalist.

LOLZ classic grin
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by MandingoII(m): 6:36am On Mar 24, 2010
And u just sit there and listen to them?
i find that hard to believe, since u hate Nigerians so much
u should pull out your gat and pistol whip them
then run-off without paying your fare. . .
that will teach them to lie to u. . . .

unless perhaps u are lying as usual,

your "chicken pox" looking a.s.s. ONLY know ONE version of Black community.

Hood, and the busted Thuggish impoverished version, the one you and your Nigerian Bretheren here in the states long to be a part of.

Just remember , you have to take the empty pockets, jails, illiteracy along with the lifestyle you prize,

boring backside nigerian
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Rothstein: 6:37am On Mar 24, 2010
@Becomrich,ur talk stinks like ur mouth.people like u cant fire a round.it is yoruba people like you who knee down on 3rd mainland for armed robbers shouting,e gba mi o o. lousy punk! tough guys dont say much,learn to conceal what u know.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by MandingoII(m): 6:38am On Mar 24, 2010
watch america crime documentary. I forgot the names of the documentary. When a thief goes into an america shop. What you see this american do is fight back. They sometime over power the thief. This is America for you. And after living here for a way, I have learn to fight back.

grin grin grin grin

he sounds like a retard.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by edoyad(m): 6:40am On Mar 24, 2010
I thought Indians did most of taxi driving ?
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Nobody: 6:47am On Mar 24, 2010
@becomrich did you ever taste school at all?
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by UcheUwadi(m): 6:48am On Mar 24, 2010
I do not see how people could become wealthy driving a taxi in the United State unless they own a fleet of taxis and lease them out.

You can make enough money to get by, but become wealthy? I do not know about that. Now I do know some Nigerians who drive a taxi as a side job, but they also have a main job.

However, since the dollar is worth more than the naira, people could use it to build nice homes in Nigeria, but not in America where most people do not even own homes. The banks in America owns the home, while people pay mortgages.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by IBLIVE: 7:08am On Mar 24, 2010
edoyad:

I thought Indians did most of taxi driving ?

U must be kidding. Nigerians have the monopoly on taxi driving and such. No try us oooh grin
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Afam(m): 8:29am On Mar 24, 2010
Taxi drivers in the US make a lot of money and mind you they have access to real cash most of the time not credit card payments and lazy people of course cannot do that. There are people I know that work for at least 18 hours in a day and they are very comfortable.

Even in Nigeria, taxi drivers and bus drivers make so much money that most of them own their own houses and send their kids to good schools.

It is not about perception, it is about reality.

The funny thing is that human beings are usually looking for money where the competition is stiff while overlooking good money making opportunities around them.

They are not fabricating anything, a lot of them make a lot of money.

1 Like

Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by pappilo(m): 8:51am On Mar 24, 2010
I know a guy who drives a taxi for Addison Lee in the UK and he built a house in Naija a few years ago and also has a house in London.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by FACE(m): 9:21am On Mar 24, 2010
Afam:

Taxi drivers in the US make a lot of money and mind you they have access to real cash most of the time not credit card payments and lazy people of course cannot do that. There are people I know that work for at least 18 hours in a day and they are very comfortable.

Even in Nigeria, taxi drivers and bus drivers make so much money that most of them own their own houses and send their kids to good schools.

It is not about perception, it is about reality.

The funny thing is that human beings are usually looking for money where the competition is stiff while overlooking good money making opportunities around them.

They are not fabricating anything, a lot of them make a lot of money.

Very good points. In addition to those, they get to keep most of their money as they only pay tax on what they declare.

As for owning 3 houses in the US, all they need is a good credit profile, focus and good deposits and boom ------- Bob is their uncle. I know a few people who have built a portfolio worth a few milion pounds that way.

1 Like

Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Godslover: 9:30am On Mar 24, 2010
this becompoor dude, you are an unlettered man, why dont you simply express whatever your arid mind has to say in form of a google map or better in your Yoruba language, your are daft and thankgod not a true representative of the southwest people
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by chidyke77(m): 9:55am On Mar 24, 2010
So dis becomwhateva na Yoruba dude? Neva knew he was.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by pappilo(m): 10:05am On Mar 24, 2010
Tribalism is such a big problem in nigeria. I thought people of our generation i.e under 40 didnt have this attitude but Nairaland has opened my eyes. I grew up in naija and had friends and interacted with people from all parts of Nigeria and I for once didnt take their tribes into consideration.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Jarus(m): 11:30am On Mar 24, 2010
Becomrich/:

are you driving taxi naija mini. how many of them do they kill in the USA. What is life, if you have none. I return back to naija. No country can use any law to hold me down. I leave that country and go where they treat me better.

becomrichh, aahhh, if dem sack me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
yee, ROTFLMAO
grin grin grin
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Jakumo(m): 12:04pm On Mar 24, 2010
While Nigerian taxi drivers in New York, Houston or London probably earn more dollars or quid per hour than they would in their African homeland, those cabbies often put in so many hours of work that there is little time for much else in their lives, over the course of a typical week.

Considering that taxi drivers' heavy workload also comes with the ever-present risk of getting mugged or killed by the strangers they pick up in their cabs, there is nothing romantic about the job, as I can attest, when I look back through the mists of time to that Los Angeles cab driver gig I briefly held down many, many moons ago.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Dominoifet(m): 3:46pm On Mar 24, 2010
@Becomrich

Yeah yeah yeah, brother I got ur back. We need to connect this days.

Leave most of this bum coming here to post anytin. They underestimate the power of radical minds, money, connectns, prayers and don't give a hoot attitude.

Most of them use God in there names. They go about their daily lives with d slogan Na God, na him do am, na God save my life, na God gave us the president, everything Na God. Forgetting that God said in d Bible "ye r gods" and we all know what gods do for themselves? What have they done for their ownselves? Nada. For their retarded minds Jesus had to reiterate it in d new testament but yet they won't figure. Any one who is trying to get it right, they would pull down.

@chidyke77:
So dis becomwhateva na Yoruba dude? Neva knew he was.

You know the probs with most of ya rots except 4 few? Over-clever, a feeling on top of things , and that's becos empty drums makes the loudest noise. Going about registering with their Igbotic names to show they r ibos. Base thinkers.
For your info 2 I'm yoruba from the most stubborn area. And I can do and undo. Go figure
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Fhemmmy: 3:52pm On Mar 24, 2010
The cab drivers in Yankee are making good money and most of them end up not paying taxes.
Especially, if they are the one that owns the cab and not just driving for someone else.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On Mar 24, 2010
Taxi drivers make good money  here. Some cabbies save while some don't. Even on a base annual income of about $35K a year, it is still possible to build houses in Nigeria and maybe own a home here.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by asha80(m): 4:07pm On Mar 24, 2010
Most eduacated nigerians are blinded by 'coporate work'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Politics News / Nigerian Youth Excited About The Potentials Of An Atiku’s Presidency / "God Told Me Tinubu Will Do 8 Years In Office" – Dave Umahi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.