Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories (18577 Views)

Pics/video Police Officers And 2 Wealthy Men Beat Up Poor Nigerian Taxi Driver / Taxi Drivers Protest In Akure Over Fuel Scarcity / When Did Buhari Suddenly Become Electable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by MsTom(f): 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2010
dayokanu:

MSTom,

The money he made from the cab was what he invested in the trucks in Nigeria.

Are you trying to tell me he paid cash for the trucks from his cab driving? common on!. Anyone can get trailers with good credit. I know a nigerian who has 3 trucks here and uses it for his trucking biz here. He is yet to finish his payment on the trucks cheesy

Dayo, think about it well. Are you planning to going into the cabbie biz? Seems you are interested. Do a very good study b4 u venture into the biz. Ask other nigerians, pakistanis, and other africans in the biz. Nigerians will not tell you everything.

PS: There are other jobs/biz that bring in better money.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 25, 2010
It's not just Nigerians. I've heard east Indian cab drivers back in London, Toronto and New York talking about how they had Engineering degrees in India and how they used to work in Nigeria before they moved to the UK, Canada or US to become a cab driver. I don't know ooo but why hate on cab drivers? Abeg I need a ride home when I'm drunk. Seriously this thread wasn't necessary at all.

Nigerians in UK have their own cab companies and they know the city well. Dude they make money very well oo. I can guarantee that. They do make money. You folks are just haters. If they are scamming you'll complain, now they are driving cab you are still mocking them. Oboi!!! We are too impossible in Nigeria.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by dayokanu(m): 7:27pm On Mar 25, 2010
Are you trying to tell me he paid cash for the trucks from his cab driving? common on!. Anyone can get trailers with good credit. I know a nigerian who has 3 trucks here and uses it for his trucking biz here. He is yet to finish his payment on the trucks

He paid cash on these trucks. The trucks are like 1989-1990 model. The same money his cab driving mates were spraying on Wasiu and Obesere was the one he pooled together to buy the trucks

Dayo, think about it well. Are you planning to going into the cabbie biz? Seems you are interested. Do a very good study b4 u venture into the biz. Ask other nigerians, pakistanis, and other africans in the biz. Nigerians will not tell you everything.
I am not going into the biz

PS: There are other jobs/biz that bring in better money.

Give examples of jobs someone without a good degree can do where he dictates the hours he work. Someone who just came into the country and probably doesnt speak good English to pass a job interview that would bring an excess of $40k ayr

Nigerians in UK have their own cab companies and they know the city well. Dude they make money very well oo. I can guarantee that. They do make money. You folks are just haters. If they are scamming you'll complain, now they are driving cab you are still mocking them. Oboi!!! We are too impossible in Nigeria.

I wont call it hate but maybe we are ignorant. I say once again the average bus driver even in Lagos take home times 3 of what Bank workers do.

I am all for anything that brings a LEGIT income. Its Nigerians that would prefer to wear suit and earn #40k a month when a bus driver spends that on beer, peppersoup and his numerous girlfriends in a month.

These informal sector make a lot of MONEY. Most of them non TAXABLE
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by edoyad(m): 7:33pm On Mar 25, 2010
There's nothing wrong with driving a cab, my licensed aviator uncle drove a cab abroad for years and is now back home retired in jos with his wife after years of service.
Even Robert Deniro drove a cab while he was younger and even burst a prostitution ring while. . . . . .o wait, that was in a movie !
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by dayokanu(m): 7:39pm On Mar 25, 2010
I have heard rumours that Mike Adenuga drove cabs while in the US sef
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by edoyad(m): 7:51pm On Mar 25, 2010
I heard that Adenuga rumour myself. Infact there's a guy i know who supports bayern munich in germany and drives a mercedes benz taxi in bonn, he sends a lot of money back home.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by MsTom(f): 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2010
@Dayo,

Trucking biz. Some truckers in America are from europe (Romanians) and they speak little english. Another is that one can have a "on the road" resturants. People eat no matter what. The spanish have cleaning biz that have gone 21st century. Before, Nigerians ventured to the mortgage and realty biz. I dont know about that now due to the housing problems. You dont need good english to prosper in this country. Sit and think of something new that you can do for yourself. One doesnt have to do what other naijas are doing. There are legit biz out there.

dayokanu:

He paid cash on these trucks. The trucks are like 1989-1990 model. The same money his cab driving mates were spraying on Wasiu and Obesere was the one he pooled together to buy the trucks

bet you are a wasiu fan yourself smiley . The man must be really prudent.

edoyad:

There's nothing wrong with driving a cab, my licensed aviator uncle drove a cab abroad for years and is now back home retired in jos with his wife after years of service.
Even Robert Deniro drove a cab while he was younger and even burst a prostitution ring while. . . . . .o wait, that was in a movie !

Dont get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with cab drivers/ cab driving. Just wasnt sure how one could claim riches from there.

dayokanu:

Oh wow! I heard there is an oba from one of the states in the western nigeria who drives cabs in DC
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by ibabalol: 8:22pm On Mar 25, 2010
As the African adage goes it is the fly
that refuse to listen that follows the corpse
to the grave.
i have given a thousand and one reason
why this path is not the one to take
but some people think that i am being biased
to put the litmus paper to the test, whoever
thinks taxi driving in the US is a good way to go
should go ahead and try it for sometime and
come and give testimony.
this is my last post on this topic
y'all be good now.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by pafun(m): 8:36pm On Mar 25, 2010
ibabalol:

As the African adage goes it is the fly
that refuse to listen that follows the corpse
to the grave.

i have given a thousand and one reason
why this path is not the one to take
but some people think that i am being biased
to put the litmus paper to the test, whoever
thinks taxi driving in the US is a good way to go
should go ahead and try it for sometime and
come and give testimony.
this is my last post on this topic
y'all be good now.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I really don't see anything wrong in driving a cab as long as you know where you are going [don't mind my pun wink] If you need some quick bread and you are young enough go for it, but don't make a career out of it. For me I think going to school at all would have been a complete waste if I still have to be doing that crap after 40. Like they say , a fool at 40. . .
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 25, 2010
dayokanu:

Not rumour. It's true. It's a popular reference in his profile.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Fhemmmy: 10:13pm On Mar 25, 2010
pafun:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I really don't see anything wrong in driving a cab as long as you know where you are going [don't mind my pun wink] If you need some quick bread and you are young enough go for it, but don't make a career out of it. For me I think going to school at all would have been a complete waste if I still have to[b] be doing that crap after 40. Like they say , a fool at 40. . .[/b]

It is all relative . . . . . but nothing cld take away the home of education
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by IBLIVE: 10:31pm On Mar 25, 2010
The problem is not taxi drivers, its Africans with PhDs driving taxis. I have seen this so many times it makes me so sad
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by eros(m): 10:41pm On Mar 25, 2010
Na wa ooooo. No work for Naija again, na taxi driver my people come go dey do for another man country. Well, i ain't leaving Naija for some supposed greener pasture when i got a DIAMOND MINE in my own country. I rather be a KING in my own country than to be a slave in another man's country.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by victormogg: 12:27am On Mar 26, 2010
yes is true, nigeria taxi driver her making a lot of money in canada
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by spoilt(f): 2:40am On Mar 26, 2010
They make a decent living. You dont have to work at night. It reduces your chances of getting mugged.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by afiq(m): 3:19am On Mar 26, 2010
YEAH RIGHT cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by mayfrances(f): 6:57am On Mar 26, 2010
That's a bunch of B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know one right now that owes me over $200.00 now and I want my damn money. That is the stinkiest, looked-down upon job in this country, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Yoighaman(m): 7:53am On Mar 26, 2010
@ Asha 80: Most eduacated nigerians are blinded by 'coporate work'.

If only we all could wake up to this reality.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by darren20(m): 9:24am On Mar 26, 2010
, So much for a Nigerian mindset !,when has a driving a taxi become so profitable as to warrant a debate on nairaland? it shows how intelligent Nigerian minds are,Ever wonder why 98% could fail a National school certificate exam?,it's all about money isn't it?,terrible !,Until Nigerians began to change their mindsets, things ( corruption,419 etc) will always remain the way it is.''Adenuga only drove a taxi in the US during his university days to raise funds for his tuition fees''. Having a Phd or Master's degree while making a career out of taxi driving is a curse,Pls get your mindset clear.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 26, 2010
darren20:

, So much for a Nigerian mindset !,when has a driving a taxi become so profitable as to warrant a debate on nairaland? it shows how intelligent Nigerian minds are,Ever wonder why 98% could fail a National school certificate exam?,it's all about money isn't it?,terrible !,Until Nigerians began to change their mindsets, things ( corruption,419 etc) will always remain the way it is.''Adenuga only drove a taxi in the US during his university days to raise funds for his tuition fees''. Having a Phd or Master's degree while making a career out of taxi driving is a curse,Pls get your mindset clear.

Thank you very much for your informed and humble opinion Darren.

I am really weary of this mentality we have back home where even if you can comfortably feed your family and pay your rent you are still assumed poor until you drive a Jeep and start spraying thousands of dollars at parties.

Hence my post earlier which came up with a suggestion that Nigerians deserve the leaders they get.

Link here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-418829.0.html

It may be a harsh statement, but until we change our mindset , things will never change in our dear country.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 26, 2010
Yoighaman:

@ Asha 80: Most eduacated nigerians are blinded by 'coporate work'.

If only we all could wake up to this reality.

I agree to this only to an extent.

What other jobs are lucrative enough to pay ones rent, cope with high transporation costs ( or petrol ) and take care of ones family for those who are married and prepare for the future for those who are single.

Until the government can provide alternatives people will keep flocking to more financially rewarding Jobs.

I was in Nigeria last year and believe me the Naira is so valueless its scary. How do people cope.

God will help us.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Afam(m): 10:35am On Mar 26, 2010
The major reason why we have a lot of graduates roaming the streets in Nigeria looking for jobs is because a lot of Nigerians believe that white collar jobs are the way out and in the process ignore many small scale businesses they can get into even with very small amount of money.

The average bus driver in Lagos has built a house and those that are not very organize spend a lot of money on drinks, parties, women etc. And these bus drivers make sometimes more than 4 times what a typical banker makes and yet works at his own pace and can afford to take a day off unlike the office worker who can only do so when his/her boss says ok.

It seems that some of us are living in denial and find it supremely difficult to realize that those we look down upon may be earning what we may never be able to earn at the moment, this is understandable but will certainly not change the facts on ground.

You can make enough money by providing services to people around you and trust me in Nigeria every single problem is an opportunity to provide a solution and in the process make money.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by SuRiUno: 11:10am On Mar 26, 2010
Owning a house in the UK does not make you rich
The banks own the house until you finish paying off the mortgage,
Being very rich means that you don't necessarily have to work for anyone as people will be working for you.
If you get to a point where your money is working for you to a point where you don't have to go and drive a taxi cab, then you can be considered as very rich or very wealthy,

Working in the US or UK allows you to put money aside that can be used to build a house in Nigeria, this money is either from years of disciplined regular savings, or if you have a good credit rating you can get a loan from a bank or remortgage your house by securing money from the bank against your mortgaged house, this money can be used to build a house in Nigeria, this then gives the impression that as a Taxi driver abroad, you are rich, Remember that if you default on any loan or money secured on your house, your home is at risk, and your credit rating will be adversely affected.

Also don't forget the cost of living in these cities London, NewYork e.t.c can be quite expensive as you have to pay tax on almost everything, there is no getting out of paying your dues.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Nobody: 11:41am On Mar 26, 2010

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-420009.0.html
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by otawa: 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2010
The banks own the house until you finish paying off the mortgage,
Being very rich means that you don't necessarily have to work for anyone as people will be working for you.
If you get to a point where your money is working for you to a point where you don't have to go and drive a taxi cab, then you can be considered as very rich or very wealthy,

Working in the US or UK allows you to put money aside that can be used to build a house in Nigeria, this money is either from years of disciplined regular savings, or if you have a good credit rating you can get a loan from a bank or remortgage your house by securing money from the bank against your mortgaged house, this money can be used to build a house in Nigeria, this then gives the impression that as a Taxi driver abroad, you are rich, Remember that if you default on any loan or money secured on your house, your home is at risk, and your credit rating will be adversely affected.

Also don't forget the cost of living in these cities London, NewYork e.t.c can be quite expensive as you have to pay tax on almost everything, there is no getting out of paying your dues.

You hit the nail on HEAD! well done.
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Fhemmmy: 2:27pm On Mar 26, 2010
Afam:

The major reason why we have a lot of graduates roaming the streets in Nigeria looking for jobs is because a lot of Nigerians believe that white collar jobs are the way out and in the process ignore many small scale businesses they can get into even with very small amount of money.

The average bus driver in Lagos has built a house and those that are not very organize spend a lot of money on drinks, parties, women etc. And these bus drivers make sometimes more than 4 times what a typical banker makes and yet works at his own pace and can afford to take a day off unlike the office worker who can only do so when his/her boss says ok.

It seems that some of us are living in denial and find it supremely difficult to realize that those we look down upon may be earning what we may never be able to earn at the moment, this is understandable but will certainly not change the facts on ground.

You can make enough money by providing services to people around you and trust me in Nigeria every single problem is an opportunity to provide a solution and in the process make money.

Very true
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by otawa: 2:30pm On Mar 26, 2010

how come they have this believe?

Answer to that will point you to solution!
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by Fhemmmy: 3:08pm On Mar 26, 2010
You will see some undergrad in the western world flipping burgers, some at the factory just doing all they have to do to eat and pay their bills, but Nigerians in Nigeria will not wanna do that, they already assume that such jobs are for people that has never seen the walls of a classrooms, and yet they want Dad to buy them underwear and even steal Mom's money to buy condom . . . .
Re: Have Nigerian Taxi Drivers Suddenly Become Rich Or Telling Fantastic Stories by enomakos(m): 3:14pm On Mar 26, 2010
lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SSS Ignores Court Order, Maintains Siege On Ex-nsa Dasuki’s House / 9 Ondo House Members Dissociate Themselves From Impeachnent Of Agboola Ajayi / Officials Lure Peter Obi To Accord Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.