Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,709 members, 7,862,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:58 AM

How Did They Do It? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did They Do It? (482 Views)

How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY) / "7.7 Million Animal Species. How Did They All Fit In, In Noah’s Ark? - Man Asks / Animals That Feel Pains Of Birth, Did They Eat The Forbidden Apple Too? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Did They Do It? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 21, 2017
I woke up this morning thinking about the word "courage".
Amongst the needed Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:25) that I pray for daily....I just get awed and inspired by the above particular word.

I don't mean the type of "courage" that can be destructive towards someone else.

I mean the type of "courage" to stand for truth regardless of the consequences.

Courage to face opposition...due to a conviction that will not "die".
Courage to admit "defeat" about one's perceived notions about something.
Courage to embrace "humility".
Courage to admit that one is "fearful" about a particular situation, but willing to give it to God for peace.

There are so several reformers of old who were courageous, but I just want to focus on "two" of them.

Martin Luther (the German Catholic, professor, priest, monk etc., turned leader of the Protestant Reformation), exemplified all of the above traits and I cannot but be inspired by him in a special way.
Martin Luther....I mean wow! This man faced the largest & most powerful church organization on the planet...to show them the error of their ways and to turn to the living God....a step which he had taken, and in the face of opposition and terrible consequences!
What type of courage did that man have to possess in order to do so

Only God could have given him the strength, wisdom and power to do so.

One other Reformer named Jerome....wow, wow, wow.
See I truly appreciate a person being transparent....and this man was....

Anyhow, Jerome was an apprentice (I would say) under the tutelage of another powerful reformer John Huss (who at the time of his being burned at the stake...was singing peacefully...his lips were said to be moving until they could move no more).
Reminds me of Stephen being stoned to death, but praying for God to forgive the people...
Jerome was a staunch follower of Christ, but became discouraged when his mentor Huss was killed.
He, then pulled a Peter...and denied knowing Christ....because he was depressed after being starved in a prison for 1 year and felt he could no longer keep hope alive.
However, he had a re-awakening...and after his "loss of faith--for a moment", recanted his denial of Christ (in front of a huge government council) and became a champion of the faith until he himself was burned at the stake...
Even in his dying moment at the stake, he was asking God to forgive him of his denial.
Wow!!!!
Those men will be in the kingdom...
Makes me do a self-introspection....
Could I do such....in the midst of all forsaking me?

1 Like

Re: How Did They Do It? by sonofthunder: 7:35pm On Nov 21, 2017
many people's answer would fail them when they're faced with the moment of truth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did They Do It? by Julivas(m): 1:10am On Nov 25, 2017
Courage.... Indeed Nice one sis

(1) (Reply)

Please Advice Me? / Basmallah 2018: Crossing Over To The New Working Year / I See War In America,buhari To Be Flown In An Emergency -apostle Suleman Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.