Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,169 members, 7,811,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate (12438 Views)

Bill Seeking To Recognise Males As Rape Victims Passed By Senate / Ministerial Screening: Uchechukwu Ogah Screened By Senate, Nigerians React / Buhari Rejects Four Bills Passed By Reps, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by ProudToBeAZombie: 6:59pm On Nov 23, 2017
9jakohai:

1.So that we can have more technicians to build us an industrial society that would take us to developed country status...and i don't look down on technicians, thank you very much.

2.In 2013 we could not find 3 trillion for existing universities in extra funding. Where are we going to find money for this one?

You got 3 trillion naira?

Don't complain when fees go up to 500000 and above to fund this new university.

I am, ultimately, not opposed to new universities, but when we are having so many issues funding the existing ones...to the point that we may have to raise fees drastically....then, I do not agree.
Lol, you are wrong.

There are existing lecturers there before, just pay them to continue their jobs.

Shikena.
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 23, 2017
ProudToBeAZombie:
Lol, you are wrong.

There are existing lecturers there before, just pay them to continue their jobs.

Shikena.

And you avoided the funding question.....

OK....enjoy when fees go up to 500000 and above because govt can't adequately fund all those new universities.

As for lecturers

1. Poly lecturers/college lecturers are not the same as university lecturers

2,Re lecturers...https://guardian.ng/opinion/ASUU-and-the-crisis-in-education/

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Gr8amechi: 7:07pm On Nov 23, 2017
9jakohai:

1.So that we can have more technicians to build us an industrial society that would take us to developed country status...and i don't look down on technicians, thank you very much.

2.In 2013 we could not find 3 trillion for existing universities in extra funding. Where are we going to find money for this one?

I am, ultimately, not opposed to new universities, but when we are having so many issues funding the existing ones...to the point that we may have to raise fees drastically....then, I do not agree.
nice words but some people will just choose never to agree for political reasons, that's our biggest problem in this country. Shame... Big shame
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 23, 2017
Acidosis:

So you can pay technical education graduates peanuts the same way your fellow Naije-ri-yans criticize and belittle HND and NCE holders?

BTW, The new Federal University is simply an upgrade of the old COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE, Kabba", the only satellite campus of Ahmadu Bello University that has remained a monotechnic. Other satellite campuses of ABU have long been upgraded to universities decades ago

This is simply a long and overdue project, but better late than never!
Good point. I was about to point that out but decided to test the water first.
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nigeriadondie: 7:11pm On Nov 23, 2017
MasterChen:
As silly as this guy is, he's actually one of the busiest guys in the Senate.

I remember he was the one who sponsored the tribal marks bill. Big ups to him on this one.
Busy doing rubbish. What about capital punishment for corruption, abolition of security votes among others to reduce cost of governance. By d Kogi doesn’t need a university as they have Kogi State University Anyigba and the newly established University of Lokoja. Why don’t they expand the university to have faculties of agriculture if he wants to develop agriculture. What support is given to farmers still using obsolete implements in this 21st century.
Bros rise above mediocrity no wonder they keep fooling people. There are more pressing issues than these rubbish he is busy with.
Let Dino account for the constituency allowances he gets.

In the first place do u know that the concept of constituency allowance is a big fraud.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2017
designVATExcel:
Nigeria and the establishing of new universities.

What of the existing ones, why not upgrade them first?

In my personal opinion i'm yet to see a Federal University in Naija as pimped up as University of Ghana. Common Ghana oh.

Ghana is no more COMMON bruh

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Swanzi(m): 7:21pm On Nov 23, 2017
So what are doing to expand kogi state
Unv.
African politicians ..

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 23, 2017
GoroTango:
And now kogi has two federal universities over and above every other state. Should we read an ulterior, sinister northern motive into this?

If the university of agriculture was cited in Eastern Nigeria, It will NEVER pass the second reading.
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 23, 2017
PrecisionFx:

If the university of agriculture was cited in Eastern Nigeria, It will NEVER pass the second reading.
Perhaps you are correct. But do you think the bill was passed solely because that institution was situated in the north?
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 23, 2017
GoroTango:
Perhaps you are correct. But do you think the bill was passed solely because that institution was situated in the north?

Do u know why u have never seen such a project in eastern Nigeria?
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by excel123: 9:08pm On Nov 23, 2017
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by abu12: 9:50pm On Nov 23, 2017

]
Nigeriadondie:

Busy doing rubbish. What about capital punishment for corruption, abolition of security votes among others to reduce cost of governance. By d Kogi doesn’t need a university as they have Kogi State University Anyigba and the newly established University of Lokoja. Why don’t they expand the university to have faculties of agriculture if he wants to develop agriculture. What support is given to farmers still using obsolete implements in this 21st century.
Bros rise above mediocrity no wonder they keep fooling people. There are more pressing issues than these rubbish he is busy with.

In the first place do u know that the concept of constituency allowance is a big fraud.

name one serving senator better than him,

don't let hatred kill u

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by joshmee4real(m): 10:14pm On Nov 23, 2017
You finished from which Institution? I graduated from UNAK OR FUNAK
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nigeriadondie: 11:17pm On Nov 23, 2017
abu12:

]

don't let hatred kill u
Truly some people deserve the kind of leaders they have. Well dont let die out of shallow thinking. Rise above mediocrity. Kogi needs good infrastructure, industries and support to practicing farmers. Making noise at d senate hearings with nothing to show amounts to zero. Wake up

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by freeay: 11:40pm On Nov 23, 2017
Good news for the Okun people.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 12:22am On Nov 24, 2017
Yorubaangel:
DINO is working... BELLO is hating
Dino is not doing anything... he is simply playing to the gallery. angry Instead of him to canvass for the establishment of industries and infrastructure to develop the state, he is asking for a university. After Kogi indigenes graduate from that university, where are the industries that would give them work experience, or the govt-sponsored entrepreneurial initiatives, that would enable them set up their own businesses?

Nigeriadondie:

Nigeriadondie:
Truly some people deserve the kind of leaders they have. Well dont let die out of shallow thinking. Rise above mediocrity. Kogi needs good infrastructure, industries and support to practicing farmers. Making noise at d senate hearings with nothing to show amounts to zero. Wake up
You talk am well! sad Ajaokuta has been closed for so long, has Dino sponsored a bill to reopen it? Nansense! angry

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 12:28am On Nov 24, 2017
abu12:

don't let hatred kill u
Don't be funny. sad What hate are you talking about? Dino is the loud-mouthed clown and buff00n of the Senate. At least, other senators do not disgrace their constituency with their lousy theatrical antics, like Dino does. If he is not fighting someone, he is busy creating one controversy or the other, which serves no purpose.... and his state still has the worst network of roads in the federation.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 12:31am On Nov 24, 2017
9jakohai:

I concur!! May God increase the wisdom He has deposited in your life! wink
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 12:33am On Nov 24, 2017
greatjoey:
Kogi is not a northern state. Kogi is a state in the middle belt. Stop that political classification. They said that to deceive you fathers. We are wise now.
Gbam!!
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Acidosis(m): 2:35am On Nov 24, 2017
laudate:

Dino is not doing anything... he is simply playing to the gallery. angry Instead of him to canvass for the establishment of industries and infrastructure to develop the state, he is asking for a university. After Kogi indigenes graduate from that university, where are the industries that would give them work experience, or the govt-sponsored entrepreneurial initiatives, that would enable them set up their own businesses?

You talk am well! sad Ajaokuta has been closed for so long, has Dino sponsored a bill to reopen it? Nansense! angry

Some of you guys don't understand Kogi politics. Kogi has 4 senatorial districts, i.e 4 Senators with three distinct and non-friendly tribes (Igala, Ebira and Okun)

Dino is not the Senator representing Ajaokuta, there are other 2 Igala Senators and 1 Ebira Senator whose names we don't know. Why should Dino speak for other Senators whose lives revolve around Ajaokuta?

Majority of the people Dino represent (Okuns) do not know Ajaokuta. Kogi is not Lagos where you can shuttle between 4 Senatorial districts in 1 hour. On the average, it will take 6 to 7 hours to navigate between Egbe (Okun) in Kogi and the state university (Igala land). Yet, Naiji-ri-ya lumped us all in one state and called it Kogi.

Besides, majority of the people Dino represents will probably not get employment in Ajaokuta because of tribalism, after all, many Okun people can't get employment even in the state owned university in Igala land. In fact, the newly appointed GM of the nonfunctional steel company is an Ebira man (thanks to the politics between Bello and Aisha Buhari).

Dino understood the fact that upgrading the over 30+ years College of Agriculture in Kabba (the only ABU satellite campus that has remained a Monotechnic) and the only tertiary educational institution in the whole of Okun land to a University is the "easiest" and most thoughtful thing to go for especially in Buhari's snail administration. He's fought for his people and in three years, I can boldly say that he has achieved more than the former Senator of Kogi West, Smart Adeyemi, who spent 8 years building a family hotel and other private investments in Kwara state.

Dino has not only fought for this upgrade, he has also canvassed for the immediate construction of the road that links Kogi with Kwara, so that the former Senator can navigate between his village in Kogi and his corrupted properties in Kwara in peace.

Dino may not have achieved this feet if Saraki were a floor member though. Politics, especially at the parliamentary level, is all about opportunities and lobbying. No two states or two Senators will get the same level of attention.

Let's appreciate good works when we see one. I have issues with Dino for fighting Faleke and joining hands with Bello when the this whole issue started at the party level. I can't forgive him for making such a terrible mistake but on this one?! I give it to him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 3:17am On Nov 24, 2017
Acidosis:
Some of you guys don't understand Kogi politics. Kogi has 4 senatorial districts, i.e 4 Senators with three distinct and non-friendly tribes (Igala, Ebira and Okun)

Dino is not the Senator representing Ajaokuta, there are other 2 Igala Senators and 1 Ebira Senator whose names we don't know. Why should Dino speak for other Senators whose lives revolve around Ajaokuta?

Majority of the people Dino represent (Okuns) do not know Ajaokuta, majority of them will probably not get employment in the said institution because of tribalism, after all, many Okun people can't get employment even in the state owned university. In fact, the newly appointed GM of the nonfunctional steel company is an Ebira man (thanks to the politics between Bello and Aisha Buhari).

Dino understood the fact that upgrading the over 30+ years College of Agriculture in Kabba (the only ABU satellite campus that has remained a Monotechnic) to a University is the "easiest" and most thoughtful thing to go for especially in Buhari's snail administration. He's fought for his people and in three years, I can boldly say that he has achieved more than the former Senator of Kogi West, Smart Adeyemi, who spent 8 years building a family hotel and other private investments in Kwara state.

Dino has not only fought for this upgrade, he has also canvassed for the immediate construction of the road that links Kogi with Kwara, so that the former Senator can navigate between his village in Kogi and his corrupted properties in Kwara in peace.

Dino may not have achieved this feet if Saraki were a floor member though. Politics, especially at the parliamentary level, is all about opportunities and lobbying. No two states or two Senators will get the same level of attention.

Let's appreciate good works when we see one. I have issues with Dino for fighting Faleke and joining hands with Bello when the this whole issue started at the party level. I can't forgive him for making such a terrible mistake but on this one?! I give it to him.

Guy, I understand Kogi politics much better than you think. sad Kogi is not the only multi-ethnic state in Nigeria. It is time people shed their primordial, parochial sentiments and realise that regardless of the tribes they hail from within Kogi, anything that affects one ethnic group, affects them all. undecided Instead of Dino playing to the gallery, what stops him from working with those other Kogi senators to draw attention to the issue of Ajaokuta, in order to revive the fortunes of the company? If Dino were to channel all the time, effort and resources he spends in courting controversy into concrete moves to debate the issue of Ajaokuta on the floor of the Senate, in order to revive the company, don't you think further progress would have been made?

If Ajaokuta is revived today, and Kogi citizens are employed, who would benefit? IGR would increase, and PAYE taxes of the workers would be paid to the state govt. When Ajaokuta was still working, are you trying to tell me that no Okun man got employment in the firm? undecided

So why shouldn't Dino rally the other 2 Igala Senators and 1 Ebira Senator, whose lives revolve around Ajaokuta? Aren't they all from the same state? If Ajaokuta is revived, don't you think the benefits would trickle down through the entire state, no matter how small? If you feel Dino has done a lot for his constituency, can you kindly itemise one by one the specific things he has done for them? Please do not include noise-making and social media publicity, as one of them! angry

And if his Okun people are being discriminated against, when it comes to employment in other federal establishments within the state, shouldn't Dino be bringing such issues to the floor of the house, in order to abolish such discrimination? After all, the current Speaker of the Kogi House of Assembly, Secretary to the State Government and State Security Adviser, are all from the Okun axis. Has Dino sought their help in this regard? No, he is too busy fighting his clueless governor called Bello, who is just as bad as he is.

Charity begins at home, is a well-known saying. sad Dino is fond of poking his nose into things going on in other parts of Nigeria, instead of fixing issues on his Kogi homefront. I still repeat the fact, that his constituency requires infrastructure, industrial and commercial enterprises, development projects, better healthcare facilities etc., instead of a university! angry

University of Ilorin, Kwara State University, Federal University Lokoja & Kogi State University do not discriminate against Kogi indigenes when it comes to admission of students, provided they meet the entry qualifications. Lokoja to Kabba is less than 140 kilometres, so why can't Okun people also look in that direction? undecided

Let us respectfully agree to disagree on this issue, as I am yet to be convinced about Dino's sincerity in this matter! Dino does not know the meaning of what constitutes 'good works'. He only understands how to play to the gallery, and create unnecessary distractions and friction, that serve no useful purpose, at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 4:27am On Nov 24, 2017
| Published on May 18, 2016 By Daily Post Staff

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved the proposal for Dangote Construction Company to use cement to build a section of the Lokoja- Obajana-Kabba-Ilorin road.

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents on the outcome of the Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja. He said the company would be executing the road project in exchange for some tax remissions.

“The memo presented to council for consideration seeks to take benefits of the existing policy and regulation.

“It seeks to take benefits of tax policies, tax laws for the purpose of using them to drive infrastructure development renewal.

“So, we presented a proposal by one of the subsidiary of Dangote group, a construction company, for the construction of a section of Lokoja-Obajana-Kabba-Ilorin road.

“Specifically, the section between Obajana-Kabba Road using cement as demonstrative of how perhaps we should continue to build, going forward in order to reduce maintenance on the road and the company proposing to fund the construction of that section of the road in exchange for some tax remissions,’’ he said.

According to the minister, companies are ordinarily supposed to pay income tax‎, but there are existing policies in the nation’s laws which enable government to consider and give taxes incentives.

He, therefore, stated that the council’s approval for the construction of the section of the road, was meant to address the increasing cases of road accidents occasioned by increased heavy traffic in the area.

“So, is a total economy policy which the Council considered and approved because it gives support to industry.
http://dailypost.ng/2016/05/18/fec-approves-dangotes-proposal-to-use-cement-to-build-obajana-kabba-road/

Shouldn't Dino Melaye and other Kogi senators be following up with Fashola and Dangote, to ensure that this project gets done within the shortest possible time, in order for the people of the state (including Dino's constituency) to benefit from it? shocked These are things he should focus on, instead of creating unnecessary controversy, up and down. FEC has given approval, o! How many states are lucky enough to get FEC approval, to cover projects earmarked for their states?
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by abu12: 5:55am On Nov 24, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

And what is infrastructure?

U still expect fg to create industries? When others are looking for private investors. Dino has move motion and fg has awarded the reconstruction of kabba to illorin road, which is under his constituency and if I may ask what is the state governor doing.

I repeat again, name one silent senator, that is better than dino. If dino is a noise maker.
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by khristal87(m): 7:17am On Nov 24, 2017
designVATExcel:
Nigeria and the establishing of new universities.

What of the existing ones, why not upgrade them first?

In my personal opinion i'm yet to see a Federal University in Naija as pimped up as University of Ghana. Common Ghana oh.

Its nt a new one, a college of Agriculture is being upgraded to a Fed. Uni. Of Agric

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nigeriadondie: 11:58am On Nov 24, 2017
laudate:

Don't be funny. sad What hate are you talking about? Dino is the loud-mouthed clown and buff00n of the Senate. At least, other senators do not disgrace their constituency with their lousy theatrical antics, like Dino does. If he is not fighting someone, he is busy creating one controversy or the other, which serves no purpose.... and his state still has the worst network of roads in the federation.
U dey mind d guy. It is obvious he lacks the sense to know the true character of Dino. In sane climes, the likes of Dino can never be in responsible public positions and as such his type are only fit to be motor park touts.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Nigeriadondie: 12:02pm On Nov 24, 2017
abu12:

]

don't let hatred kill u
Be mindful of what you write.
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 3:23pm On Nov 24, 2017
abu12:
And what is infrastructure?

U still expect fg to create industries? When others are looking for private investors. Dino has move motion and fg has awarded the reconstruction of kabba to illorin road, which is under his constituency and if I may ask what is the state governor doing.

I repeat again, name one silent senator, that is better than dino. If dino is a noise maker.

Dino was playing to the gallery when he moved that motion. Before he did so, Dangote had already decided to construct the road, and Fashola had sought FEC approval to cover the project. What part did Dino play in making Dangote agree to construct that road?

Govt is not the one constructing Kabba-Ilorin road. Kabba-Ilorin road is part of the Lokoja- Obajana-Kabba-Ilorin road, that Dangote promised to construct, in exchange for tax relief measures for his company - the Obajana Cement Factory.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Judolisco(m): 5:13am On Nov 25, 2017
laudate:

Kogi doesn't need more universities. It needs industries and entrepreneurship schemes, as well as good infrastructure and projects that would develop the state, and provide jobs for its citizens! angry
pls have u been to kogi b4 sir
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2017
Judolisco:
pls have u been to kogi b4 sir
Of course!! shocked
Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by Judolisco(m): 12:08pm On Nov 26, 2017
laudate:

Of course!! shocked
then u should knw that d state needs development, and that should come using any means whether through industrialization or through building of new schools

1 Like

Re: Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate by laudate: 1:05pm On Nov 26, 2017
Judolisco:
then u should knw that d state needs development, and that should come using any means whether through industrialization or through building of new schools
Guy, do you know what constitutes the indices of development? People need jobs, self-sustaining incomes, better healthcare, industries, commercial enterprises, improved infrastructure and you think the best way to achieve this is by upgrading an existing College of Agriculture into a University? How much will this upgraded institution add to the state's IGR? Okay, o! Now I can see why Kogi remains the way it is. Until the mindset of people improve, not much can be done. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beautiful Roads With Covered Drains & Sidewalks Done By Gov Wike In PH- PICTURES / FG Borrows N2.45 Trillion From CBN Amid Fiscal Risks / Jonathan Is A War Time President – Rev. Ladi Thompson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.