Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,637 members, 7,840,551 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? (4687 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 02, 2010
Hotstepper:

@tunnytox and Liss, thanks for your reply
I will do everything in regards to youth service and not the k-leg cuz I believe that's being corrupt and Nigerians always think that its when you steal money or a politician, u den become corrupt.
Liss, I did Int. development Studies and its only the execs. that stay here and peeps like me sent to any developing country
I have plan B (I'm Canadian born) but I am optimistic that things will work out tongue

been reading ur post, and i must say im totally impressed. I advise u to just give it a go and explore ur areas of intrest in nigeria. u gat nothin to loose anyway since ur canadian born. tongue
It seems ur passionate abt nigeria cool. good luck wink
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 9:56am On Apr 02, 2010
Hotstepper:

@tunnytox and Liss, thanks for your reply
I will do everything in regards to youth service and not the k-leg cuz I believe that's being corrupt and Nigerians always think that its when you steal money or a politician, u den become corrupt.
Liss, I did Int. development Studies and its only the execs. that stay here and peeps like me sent to any developing country
I have plan B (I'm Canadian born) but I am optimistic that things will work out tongue

@dancewith, wen was the last time u went to Brampton? you will be suprised to see Brampton of 2day lipsrsealed

I am glad for you. At least that's settled just in the event that you do get tired of naija.
I quite agree about the corruption thingy but I bet you'ld reconsider the "do everything as regards youth service" if you were posted to states like Plateau, Gombe, Maiduguri or something. Ain't nothing wrong in safeguarding yourself o, sis.

My one advise would be, feel free to serve but pls. ensure you are posted to a place were your life or limp isn't at risk, abeg. Nothing wrong in looking out for yourself if your Govt. won't do so!
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by igbonla(m): 10:13am On Apr 02, 2010
dancewith:

@ Tunnytux, is there any special reason why you would wish to settle in Brampton? I lived there for eight months and always get this feeling is a village. too lonely and kind of deserted most times!

Nah, not Brampton of now, still doesn't appeal to me though but for a different reason. Good for tunnytox, large Nigerian community for networking.

tunnytox:

@Hotstepper
Yes I do have some friends in Canada, one of them have agreed already to accomodate me for a short period and to assist in putting me through for the first few weeks. Anyway, my plan is to spend just 3 weeks and return to the UK after which I'll be looking for job through websites. I am planning to travel around august/sept so i'll keep you informed so you can give me those websites as soon as i'm ready.

You have good plans and look good to go especially with support from friends. My accountant is a hardworking naija dude and is not doing badly in his private practice. The date of your finally move is dependent on you as you should get a job pretty fast especially with your UK exposure.
Leave a note here if you still need info beyond what your friends can volunteer; my family lives in the city above Toronto.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 1:37pm On Apr 02, 2010
@Liss, thats for watching out for me, really appreciate it
Well, peeps that studied abroad get to choose where they want to serve. As much as people will see it as a plus, I dont cuz I do not think there should be special treatment and divison, instead NYSC should be mindful of states they post people which I think they are beginning to do now with the whole Jos crisis. In fact, 2 yrs earlier, I said I was going to serve in the same Jos.lol I know I dont want to be in Abuja or Lagos but certainly a safe state I have not been to before. To prepare myself, I visit every year and all

@igbonla, hmmm, what city in particular does your family stay? Vaughan, Woodbridge, Thronhill, Richmondhill?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by igbonla(m): 4:02pm On Apr 02, 2010
Hotstepper:

@igbonla, hmmm, what city in particular does your family stay? Vaughan, Woodbridge, Thronhill, Richmondhill?

Vaughan.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 4:27pm On Apr 02, 2010
@igbonla, oh wow, hope u dont mind me asking, where exactly cuz I stay in Vaughan 2
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by igbonla(m): 8:38pm On Apr 02, 2010
Hotstepper:

@igbonla, oh wow, hope u dont mind me asking, where exactly cuz I stay in Vaughan 2

really? Weston/Major Mac, where are you at?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2010
@igbonla, oh wow, right at my back/beside me , lol
I'm at Jane and Rutherford
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by igbonla(m): 11:14am On Apr 03, 2010
Hotstepper:

@igbonla, oh wow, right at my back/beside me , lol
I'm at Jane and Rutherford

damn! you are so close! So I can't send a pm here??
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 12:34pm On Apr 03, 2010
@igbonla , how do you mean?
@all , any update  yet? shocked
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by igbonla(m): 6:13pm On Apr 03, 2010
Hotstepper:

@igbonla , how do you mean?
@all , any update yet? shocked

I meant you live so close to where I live; I could be at your place in 5 mins. Then I was wondering how to pm you.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 6:39pm On Apr 03, 2010
@igbonla, oh, is that what u meant? nop probs, lemme know
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by igbonla(m): 1:14pm On Apr 05, 2010
Hotstepper:

@igbonla, oh, is that what u meant? nop probs, lemme know

HS, nowhere to send you a pm here. Can you let me know how else to get msgs across to you?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 2:41am On Apr 08, 2010
:p
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by igbonla(m): 1:51am On Apr 11, 2010
ok, got it. you can remove it now.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 3:35am On Apr 11, 2010
kool
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by canuck(m): 9:32am On Apr 11, 2010
@ Poster

I did not put off relocating 10 years ago. But here are a few reasons people I know have had to reconsider migrating to Canada (after receiving the permanent residency) when they realize:

1) Well-paying professional jobs are not hanging on trees as purported by Immigration Canada;
2) It may take years in Canada to earn the same pay they currently earn in Nigeria (especially banking and oil sector guys/gals);
3) Their education/professional certificates are, ehhhh, heavily discounted once they cross the Atlantic - The thought of re-training is simply too much for many to bear;
4) They have to alter their living standards from being waited on to DIY - There is no Okon-the-washer-man, Bola-the-house-girl, and Monday-the-driver;
5) There's nothing 'permanent' about the permanent residency permit; it can be revoked if they fail to accumulate 2 years of 'residency days' (of living in Canada) out of 5 years;
6) The stack reality of leaving behind their comfort zone - Many folks underestimate their ties to Naija until CIC's letter tells them they have until DD/MM/YYY to land in Canada;
7) The thought of living in a country guided by the rule-of-law is just plain scary to some of my Naija people! Ehn! No prevalent mago-mago, roger, egunje, big-man shakara, etc.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just what I've learnt from personal interactions with Nigerians planning to relocate and subsequently developing cold feet.

@Hotstepper & Igbonla - Una well done. . .Keep us posted on your hook-up  cool
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 12:31pm On Apr 11, 2010
@ Canuck,

Well said! I have been thinking about this Canada immigration thingy for years but I have never applied bcus until my chances of success are like 85%, I don't intend to apply. The rules have been specified and if I don't meet the requirements, why bother? That's my thought, anyway.

For now, I read up on everything I can to aid me (on & off) when I do actually apply. So I can have great chances of making it. Plus, the money requirement is crazy! And would not want that to stop me, so for now I'm saving, investing etc so as to make over the necessary amount required wink.
I wouldn't wanna start so low (like washing dishes and crap) so I have to make sure I have enuf money to get re-certified and get a good job.

BTW, can you please provide your own experiences in Canada, like how easy it was for you (or otherwise) to settle down, get a job, ur children's schools and stuff,
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 2:43pm On Apr 11, 2010
@canuck, good one, u can join us oo since u r in TDOT, lol
@Liss, make sure you work atleast a year b4 u apply, be optimistic about it
I think Canada immigration is the best among US and UK self,
wen u come, we yarn about it ok
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 2:58pm On Apr 11, 2010
@Hotstepper,

Been working for about 3 years now. Just that the period it takes to process a PR is worrisome. Saw on cic.gc dat it could take like 78 months! shocked Been downcast since then. Will take ur advice and be more optimistic now. Just trying to get enuf money before applying maybe thru school or sumtin.

Anywayz, all I am learning is gonna help me for sure.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 3:12pm On Apr 11, 2010
you have been working for 3 yrs now in Canada?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 3:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
Of cos not! Still in Nigeria. Just saying what's been holding me back from sending my immigration is all.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 3:48pm On Apr 11, 2010
@Liss, try and work for at least a year here and apply under "Experienced Class" which is designed specifically for International Students who studies in Canada and people outside with specific skills, well, keep reading all the options and see the best one, You will make it
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 3:54pm On Apr 11, 2010
Hotstepper:

@Liss, try and work for at least a year here and apply under "Experienced Class" which is designed specifically for International Students who studies in Canada and people outside with specific skills, well, keep reading all the options and see the best one, You will make it

Thanks for that. Read about the Experienced class but how we both it won't be an easy thing to do except I get in as a student and work for a while. Or is there a way one can work in Canada for at least a year without having gone thru school?

By work, I don't mean Live-in caregiver o! I think my best option is thru school from all I have seen and read.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 4:02pm On Apr 11, 2010
@Liss, I thought u said u will soon finish your 8 months program in BC or abi am mistaken here,
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 4:04pm On Apr 11, 2010
Lol, U r mistaken o! Probly, sumone else's post. You know you are one of those who responds to queries on Canada so check other posts on Canada to check who might have posted that.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 4:12pm On Apr 11, 2010
hehhee, that's true, I now remember who the person is
If you are still in Nigeria, look closely to the PR one then
What's your career path if you are working now or what you studies?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 5:04pm On Apr 11, 2010
The PR one shocked It takes forever!!! to get it. I am in the Human Resources field o! Currently doing my masters degree sef in H.R. Was thinking of getting registered as a CHRP while here so as to help increase my changes of good jobs when I get there. But I think the field is becoming saturated in Canada, not sure though.

Anywayz, keeping my fingers crossed cos I have started checking out some schools that offer graduate certificate studies in HRM.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 5:07pm On Apr 11, 2010
I dont think it takes forever, situations defer and u can apply now and just wait, u can never tell what will happen
Are you studying in the UK? under the Experienced Class, is HR among their listed high demand fields?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2010
Yes, it is as it is under the skilled Type A (Professional occupations). Am studying in University of Lagos. Dont wanna lose on both ends if u get my drift, hence, my masters in Nigeria.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 5:23pm On Apr 11, 2010
oh kool, if its listed there, plz apply fast fast ooo as people in that field get their paper processed fasted, in fact within a year
I advise you apply, how much is it to apply sef?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 5:29pm On Apr 11, 2010
Are you suggesting I apply under the skilled worker class (PR)? Cos I don't fit under the Experienced Class since I have neither studied nor worked in Canada before.

It is the waiting period that stops me from applying 4 PR which why I am thinking of the certificate studies in HR route which will enable me under the experienced class.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Republic Of Cyprus Island: The Sland Of Love / Sweden Returnee In Tears, Vows Not To Return To Nigeria Again. See Why (video) / Douala: The Economic Capital Of Cameroon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.