Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,876 members, 7,862,938 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:32 AM

What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? (4696 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Rare(m): 7:25pm On Apr 27, 2010
daddee:

@brinesj , thanks for the enlightenment. Am middle level (9yrs experience) not sure how that will be interpreted in Canada though but I guess oil and gas experience (especially rig) is more or less the same world wide. I will read through the website. Are u in Canada?

Thanks.

From what I see in many forums, I learnt we shouldn't take that for granted
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by brinesj: 9:48pm On Apr 27, 2010
Rare:

From what I see in many forums, I learnt we shouldn't take that for granted

During the recent oil boom, Alberta oilsands companies were employing Nigerian-based Nigerians with oil and gas experience straight into the industry from their Nigerian jobs, not sure if they are still doing so or not.

So I guess depending on the demand for labor at a particular time and the industry, Canadian employers may not turn up their nose at foreign credentials/experience
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Rare(m): 12:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
brinesj:

So I guess depending on the demand for labor at a particular time and the industry, Canadian employers may not turn up their nose at foreign credentials/experience

I think this consideration is very vital for immigrants, if you are in pursuance of career advancement through immigration.
But then if you simply just want to live in Canada, you should be tolerant to unexpectations. That way you'll survive with a positive attitude.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by yodiyokun(f): 4:27pm On Apr 30, 2010
You dont have to over think this.
I have been in Canada for 3 years and I came here through the PR route. our application took 5 years to go through.
Everyone's experience is different and you should never allow other peoples experience ultimately determine what you do.
I have 1 friend that has been talking about Canadain immigration for about 7 years now if not more. He missed his opportunity because with the new rules he no longer qualifies.

To those who say there are challenges in settling, yes there are. However nothing is insurmountable.
I know many people that got great jobs within 1 month of arriving in Canada. Myself and my husband are examples.

At the moment I earn more than my colleagues I left behind in Banking and my money buys me more value. (value means different things to different people).

Canada is different from UK or US. You need to live in all these places to compare. Canada is easy going, even backward in alot of things, they hate conflict and so many other things. On the other hand, the ghettos in Toronto are like heaven compared to the ghettos in Newyork. People are friednly care about you and want to pronounce your name correctly. You wont find that in Uk or US, from my experience. US is dog eat Dog. It's very very competitive, Canada is laid back.
Maternity leave here is 1 year paid against 6 weeks in US. I have friends that have been in the states legally for 10 years with no hope of PR simply beacuse and employer wont file for them. Canada , you are guaranteed your passport within 3-4 years of arriving as PR as far you live there.

If you like a fast pasced life, go to the States even consider UK. If you want family/community oriented living come to Canada.

1 Like

Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by yodiyokun(f): 4:37pm On Apr 30, 2010
Another thing is that your money in Canada goes farther than in UK.

If I was still Uk, I dont see myself getting the equivalent in pounds of what I earn now.

But US is cheaper generally way cheaper than Canada, but there are a lot of downsides to living in the States.

Finally, if you dont like cold weather, dont bother coming except you are ready to adapt. I can tell you from experience that living in southern Ontario is not that cold after you get used to it. There are tons of things to do during the cold weather. I prefer the weather here to my UK experience. Uk is always cold even in summer.

Canada is as hot as lagos during summer.

The only people I will not recommend immigrating to Canada to are people in highly regulated professions such as Doctors, Pharmacist, Geologist, teacher, nursing all engineering. If you want to continue in your field of study and you have had serious demonstratable work experience in Nigeria, you must be prepared to take expensive exams. Doctors are the most difficult. I know others who have successfully re-certified in the other professions but it takes time.
But if you dont mind changing your career - the sky is the limit. The most important life skill for immigrants is flexibility and adaptability.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by yodiyokun(f): 4:43pm On Apr 30, 2010
Alberta is having issues at the moment as every developed city because of the recent recession. If you an oil gas professional I think you shoud investigate Saskatoon(sp?) and Nova scotia.

They also have good oil and gas indutsries that are just coming up.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Rare(m): 6:40pm On Apr 30, 2010
yodiyokun:

The only people I will not recommend immigrating to Canada to are people in highly regulated professions such as Doctors, Pharmacist, Geologist, teacher, nursing all engineering. If you want to continue in your field of study and you have had serious demonstratable work experience in Nigeria, you must be prepared to take expensive exams. Doctors are the most difficult. I know others who have successfully re-certified in the other professions but it takes time.

How does this apply to people who migrate as students, and would probable join professional associations as "professional-in-training" (trainee) levels. Is the entry into the labour market friendlier for students migrants ?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 4:44pm On Jun 19, 2010
@hotstepper
i've decided to land in Canada earlier than schedule because the flight ticket in the summer is astronomical, I landed at Toronto airport few days ago.I'm already noticing some differences from the ways we operate in the UK and the way they do in Canada. I also feel some services are quite expensive in Canada; services like bus, banking, healthcare, motoring, housing and general household shopping are very expensive in canada compare to UK. In general I'm begining to conclude that i'll be more better off in the UK than Canada. I've applied for my SIN and healthcard anyway to at least make sure I still keep my option open

I won't leave here however without making sure I visited Niagara falls next week and also have a bus tour of Toronto city to make my journey at least memorable,
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by yodiyokun(f): 9:36pm On Jun 19, 2010
Rare:

How does this apply to people who migrate as students, and would probable join professional associations as "professional-in-training" (trainee) levels. Is the entry into the labour market friendlier for students migrants ?

I think students may find it a bit easier to navigate the regulated professions, simply because they will have a canadian degree and have acess to all the facilities of job search available on campus. Also they students typically have less responsbilities - as per cash outflow than a family person.

tunnytox:

@hotstepper
i've decided to land in Canada earlier than schedule because the flight ticket in the summer is astronomical, I landed at Toronto airport few days ago.I'm already noticing some differences from the ways we operate in the UK and the way they do in Canada. I also feel some services are quite expensive in Canada; services like bus, banking, healthcare, motoring, housing and general household shopping are very expensive in canada compare to UK. In general I'm begining to conclude that i'll be more better off in the UK than Canada. I've applied for my SIN and healthcard anyway to at least make sure I still keep my option open

I won't leave here however without making sure I visited Niagara falls next week and also have a bus tour of Toronto city to make my journey at least memorable,

Everyones expereince of Canada is different, I agree that banking is more expensive in Canada and Telecomms because of monopoly. Also quality of clothes here is way less than Uk, but you can shop from US if that suites you better. On the other hand, mortagges are cheaper here than Uk, its easier to qualify here and earning potential is higher here than UK. Canada is generally more receptive and friendlier to immigrants.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by dandollar1: 12:01pm On Jun 20, 2010
@all,
plz,can one with 5yrs xperience in banking but wtha first degree in engineering apply under skilled workers and professional?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 11:26am On Jun 21, 2010
seun why are you deleting my posts!!!!!
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by hercules07: 2:54pm On Jun 21, 2010
@yodiyokun

Please what is the job market like for IT guys, especially System and Network Administrators. I will be landing in August but I intend to either do a Masters Programme next year or finish my Cisco Certifications, I will appreciate if you can tell me if it is easy to get a job in IT.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by blackspade(m): 2:34am On Jun 23, 2010
Canada has a very strong economy right now, and they recovered I think over 2/3rds of the jobs lost in the recession, plus they are generating more.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 2:37am On Jun 24, 2010
@tunnytox, welcome ooo, I hope you are enjoying your stay, wen r u leaving?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 3:34am On Jun 24, 2010
Hotstepper:

@tunnytox, welcome ooo, I hope you are enjoying your stay, wen r u leaving?

I Hope this post will not be deleted,
@Hostepper, yes I'm having a nice time, Canada is a very beautiful country. I was at Niagara falls on Monday OMG!!! its absolutely amazing I'll obviously be visiting again. The G20 summit is spoilling my fun cos the security at Toronto Downtown is too tight at the moment, I wasn't even allowed to take any picture, I couldn't visit the CN tower because its being barricaded!, anyway I'm leaving next week and I'm hoping to visit there before returning to UK,
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 3:45am On Jun 25, 2010
@tunnytox, I am glad you are having a nice time, By Sat. the G20 should be over nd u can visit the CN Tower, dont go without visiting it ooo, lol
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 1:18pm On Jun 25, 2010
Thanks Hotstepper, I have plans to go on Monday,
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 1:25am On Jun 29, 2010
@tunnytox , were you able to make it to the Tower? If yes, how was it?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Nobody: 6:29am On Jun 29, 2010
For detailed explanation and information regarding all visas check www.touristvisas.info
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 1:39pm On Jun 29, 2010
@hotstepper
Yes! I was at the tower yesterday (The tower appears to be moving!) but i wasn't able to get inside becos I do not enough CAN$ on me, it costs $22 for an adult (I'm not sure of the children's price) and I have 2 children including my wife, I wanted to change some sterling to CAN$ but the currency exchange around there want me to change my GBP at 1.30! I left and I eventually changed it at 1.525 on Younge street, I visited the Art gallery of Ontario but it was usually closed on Monday, anyway I had a great time and may be coming back very soon,
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by sukkytaiwo(m): 7:23pm On Jul 06, 2010
We are in the part of the world were people take advantage of other to enrich them self,Not so sure of the genie w one,most people have being scam all in the name of free help and guide immigration to Canada.but if there are good people that can be of help and stand by their word,It will help a lot.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by ceasyc(f): 3:48am On Jul 07, 2010
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by sukkytaiwo(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2010
Most people have being scam one Way or the other, ? tongue
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by chi21: 2:53pm On Aug 04, 2010
Canada is not the same thing like USA. Is a whole lot different, and is one of the experience place to live in the world right now. And it a beautiful place and country one more thing is clean not like some places in USA and in africa that are dirty you can not even pull your pants down if you go to canada and visit you will say i wish my country will be like this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cheap Air Ticket To Nigeria From Usa / Nigerian Community In Luxembourg. / For People Within United State, New York To Be Precise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.