Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? (22768 Views)

Buhari Refers To Ibrahim Usman Jibrin As ‘Your Highness’ At FEC / PDP Refers Adams Oshiomhole As Factional APC Chairman At Jonathan's Book Launch / EFCC Refers To ICPC As "Introvert" When It Comes To Fighting Corruption - Reacti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by IkpuMmadu: 10:08am On May 09, 2019
ModsWillKillNL:
Then drop the Akoko nomenclature!

Akoko is a Yoruba word for woodpecker.

Akoko is an Igbo word meaning by the side or adjacent

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 11:06am On Sep 14, 2020
OgboAto:

Do not deceive yourself sir, every LG in S/W has a log of family compounds [Agbo Ile] of early settlers of every hamlet under it [LG] as well as a list of the lineages under each family compound [Agbo Ile].

This is among every other layers of insulation to LG declaration acquisition - the last of which is to collect a letter from your Baale.

Even Yoruba people can not claim citizenship of towns that are not theirs maternally or paternally. And in fact, the ancestry of one's father or mother are often considered by family compouds along the lines of the history of the father or mother's town; the inter-group relations between the parents' towns [for instance towns that have been at each others' necks fighting wars]; and if any of the parents are non-Yoruba see Akeredolu for instance & people that married outside Yorubaland]

This is not to say LG officials won't grant you indigeneship if you can part with good money but then, all of these factors & more play solid roles in indigeneship acquisition from LG & legitimacy from the family compound.

Cheers.

Actually you can claim anywhere in Yorubaland if you don't want to be truthful. But note that you won't have access to some benefits like Bursary, scholarships, etc meant for the indigenes. I obtained attestation for most of my friend in my local government in Ekiti. But they can easily deduce where you're from from your surname.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by niyidenrele: 11:26am On Sep 14, 2020
i have a friend whose father is a native of Akwa Ibom, while his mother is from , Akoko Edo, and my friend name is Femi, his sister is Nike , both Yoruba name , his mum decided, despite the fact that they were based in Kaduna, if truly they are not Yoruba, why naming her children Yoruba names ?.. see, majority of whatyou gave as proof, can't be justified, because even in Ondo State that shares boundaries with Edo State, majority of dialects of Akoko people doesn't sound Yoruba because of longtime distance from the source which Ife and Oyo Ile

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by LaboPolitics: 11:43am On Sep 14, 2020
yorubas and their landgrabbing quest.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 02, 2021
GuidoVanRossum:
It amazes me that almost everyone on here refers to my people as being Yorubas. Is it because of the name "Akoko?".
Please, note that the major languages in Akoko Edo are:
Okpameri
Uneme
Etuno
Ososo
And a very very tiny % of Yorubas.
Akoko-Edo isn't a Yoruba land. Yes, we have Yoruba influence and it shows in our names and all that. But we very different both culturally and in terms of language.

I therefore implore you all to stop calling my people Yorubas.

PS: This does not mean we hate the Yoruba people as they are our brothers in the same geographical contraption called Nigeria.

Mind44, Lalasticlala, please help us educate others.

Akoko-Edo is a conglomerate of Edo, Yoruba, Ebira (igara), and Igala (Akuku) Origin. it beat my imagination if someone coming to defend or explaining AKOKO-EDO as if you can force them to accept what there ancestors never told them. Another set of people are the Igara or Etunu in Akoko-edo whom want to force there origin and extend it to other part of akoko-edo just because igara is the head quarter of the local govt, forgotten somorika actually gave igara that land they currently occupied when they migrated from Nupe or Kogi area of the country. Igara are not up to 2 communities in Okpamari which are the largest group with language similarities of which somorika and Ibillo are included in Opkamari Group. for your information the Akoko-Edo with Yoruba heritage are more Yoruba than you think because majority of there ancestors are directly aboriginals from the present day Ondo town in Ondo State and few others from Ile-Ife. For various reasons best known to historians, there ancestors relocated through Old Benin Empire and merge with the Afemai and that was how language changes occurs. they are also clans with Benin heritage and Igala precisely.... Akoko-edo is a place where various tribes meet to form one group but dominated by Yoruba's because you can actually find them in all clans, Towns and villages in Akoko-Edo and they are directly or indirectly part of Akoko-Ondo.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by femolii: 6:40pm On Aug 02, 2021
God bless you sir,don't mind idiots displayed polyester as their native dress oponu people no body even need you people.
kayfra:
A lot of stupidity in this thread. Akoko people are Akoko people regardless of the state. There was no such thing as Edo or Ondo states as little as 60 years ago not to talk about hundreds of years ago.

A group of people influenced by two ancient empires probably have genetic makeup from both sides. You see the influence in names (Yoruba) and some demonstrative culture (Bini) and this varies from town to town or village to village. Let them have whatever identity of their choosing.

PS: some of the cultural pics look like something picked up in recent years. No ancestors wore all that polyester

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by jahsharon: 7:40pm On Aug 02, 2021
Michael004:
Na you sabi. If una like, una fit be kanuri. Yorubas don't give a folk.

Don't mind the lazy youth. As if Yorubas told him that we are looking for families and relatives.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by daddyp76(m): 7:50pm On Aug 02, 2021
Let us know where you Akoko originated from.

GuidoVanRossum:
It amazes me that almost everyone on here refers to my people as being Yorubas. Is it because of the name "Akoko?".
Please, note that the major languages in Akoko Edo are:
Okpameri
Uneme
Etuno
Ososo
And a very very tiny % of Yorubas.
Akoko-Edo isn't a Yoruba land. Yes, we have Yoruba influence and it shows in our names and all that. But we very different both culturally and in terms of language.

I therefore implore you all to stop calling my people Yorubas.

PS: This does not mean we hate the Yoruba people as they are our brothers in the same geographical contraption called Nigeria.

Mind44, Lalasticlala, please help us educate others.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 02, 2021
ModsWillKillNL:

likewise eko an edo name for war camp
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by orisa37: 8:27pm On Aug 02, 2021
YORUBA IS THE HOLY SPIRIT OF OLO-DU-MARE.

ODU-DU-WA IS THE SON OF OLODUMARE.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by bobowaja(m): 8:31pm On Aug 02, 2021
ModsWillKillNL:

Believe the idiot at ur own peril
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by orisa37: 8:35pm On Aug 02, 2021
989900:
And the 'Akoko Ondos', what are they? undecided

"AKOKO EGBIRAS".
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by orisa37: 8:37pm On Aug 02, 2021
989900:
And the 'Akoko Ondos', what are they? undecided

"AKOKO EGBIRAS". OR "AKOKO KOGI".
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by orisa37: 8:42pm On Aug 02, 2021
So AUDU OGBE is AKOKO EDO.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by orisa37: 8:50pm On Aug 02, 2021
jetbomber17:
Akoko Edo
Akoko Ikare
Akoko Akungba

Also AKOKO ERUSU, ISUA ARIGIDI IYE.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by orisa37: 8:52pm On Aug 02, 2021
jetbomber17:
Akoko Edo
Akoko Ikare
Akoko Akungba

Also AKOKO ERUSU, ISUA, ARIGIDI, IYE AND GARRA.
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 07, 2021
9jamostgrow:

Akoko-Edo is a conglomerate of Edo, Yoruba, Ebira (igara), and Igala (Akuku) Origin. it beat my imagination if someone coming to defend or explaining AKOKO-EDO as if you can force them to accept what there ancestors never told them. Another set of people are the Igara or Etunu in Akoko-edo whom want to force there origin and extend it to other part of akoko-edo just because igara is the head quarter of the local govt, forgotten somorika actually gave igara that land they currently occupied when they migrated from Nupe or Kogi area of the country. Igara are not up to 2 communities in Okpamari which are the largest group with language similarities of which somorika and Ibillo are included in Opkamari Group. for your information the Akoko-Edo with Yoruba heritage are more Yoruba than you think because majority of there ancestors are directly aboriginals from the present day Ondo town in Ondo State and few others from Ile-Ife. For various reasons best known to historians, there ancestors relocated through Old Benin Empire and merge with the Afemai and that was how language changes occurs. they are also clans with Benin heritage and Igala precisely.... Akoko-edo is a place where various tribes meet to form one group but dominated by Yoruba's because you can actually find them in all clans, Towns and villages in Akoko-Edo and they are directly or indirectly part of Akoko-Ondo.
Akoko-Edo are Edo like their name clearly suggests. Also stop msking claims without proof. You were not born several hundred years ago to claim people's ancestors migrated from such or such location. Nobody migrated from ife which was a small village until the british started urbanising it in 1912.
Why do you guys hardly apply logics when you talk ?
There is no yoruba connection in Edo-State or the south south, we are just one big Edo family
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 13, 2021
Akoko-Edo are Edo like their name clearly suggests. Also stop msking claims without proof. You were not born several hundred years ago to claim people's ancestors migrated from such or such location. Nobody migrated from ife which was a small village until the british started urbanising it in 1912.
Why do you guys hardly apply logics when you talk ?
There is no yoruba connection in Edo-State or the south south, we are just one big Edo family

You don't have to be born hundred of years ago to know your history, the Igara people cannot deny my claims likewise any other part of Akoko-Edo. these history has been passed from generation to generation and do you research about the areas I mention they originated from and there are several ethnic wars and battle for traditional stools which made most of there ancestors to forcefully relocate. I know there might be some connection between the old Benin Empire and the Ondo people. that was the reason during and after the referendum they also accept to be part of Edo, although not all of them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by niggadee(m): 3:00pm On Aug 13, 2021
We yoruba and edo are totally different people
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 13, 2021
same thing I was told years ago..
9jamostgrow:

Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Danjikanbauchi: 4:59pm On Aug 13, 2021
verydark:
northerners have the same problem too.not all northerners are the same.

blame igbos for trying to make everything look simple.
why blaming Igbos Sir ?
Re: Why Do Nairalanders Refers To The Akoko-edos As Yoruba? by Danjikanbauchi: 5:07pm On Aug 13, 2021
verydark:

it will not matter.people will still call you yorubas because you are in west near yorubas.

you cant demand from us to exactly know all tribes in nigeria.thats like learning mathematics.keep your peace and move on.
snake undecided tomorrow you will talk rubbish when ikweres and most SS are called Igbos ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kenneth Okonkwo: Why I Am Running For Enugu Governorship Election In 2019 / 2019 Presidency: Fayose Advises Buhari On Where To Flag Off His Campaign / Obaseki’s Ward Councilor, Six Others From Oredo LG Declare Support For Ize-iyamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.